$100K-Plus Earners Pay 72% of Federal Income Taxes

OP- TY, Rushbots, for today's totally discredited BS...Of course, after 30 years of voodoo, payroll taxes are more than fed income tax, and if you count all taxes and fees, the poorest fifth pays 16% of their income, and everyone else pays 21%, the richest have at least tripled their wealth while the nonrich and the country have gone to hell..,.great job, brainwashed functional morons... see sig.

Last edited:
if the tax rates are lowered, there will be more rich people, revenue to the govt will increase, jobs will be created, the deficit will be reduced, unemployment will go down.

this is really not complicated, its just that reality and math fly in the face of liberal philosophy.

there is absolutely no statistisal correlation to declining top rates and growth in gnp.

STUDY: Tax Cuts Don't Lead To Growth - Business Insider

when tax rates were cut under Kennedy, Reagan, and Bush, govt revenue increased. Obama continued the Bush tax rates because even he realized that raising them would lower govt revenue.

posting something from a left wing blog does not make your case---it destroys it.

Yep...once clinton was out of office and Bush cut the capital gains tax to a reasonable level the wife and I cashed in 300k in stock options to buy a weekend place.
With that weekend place we purchased two tractors six kayaks,a couple of canoes and thousands of dollars in other items.
You jack me on taxes and capital gains I wont spend a dime.
Not sure why dems cant understand that when you tax the shit out of people they stop spending money to the detriment of the economy.

But the Marxists keep saying the rich aren't paying their "fair share."

Taxpayers earning $100,000 or more a year pay 71.6% of the nation’s share in individual federal income taxes, according to the latest data from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) from 2011.

These data do not include corporate income taxes, or taxes on capital gains or dividends, or payroll taxes for Social Security and other programs.

In 2011, according to the IRS, there were 145,370,240 individual income tax returns filed. Among those returns, 125,914,418 or 86.6%, belonged to taxpayers earning a salary less than $100,000. The remaining 19,455,822 returns belonged to those taxpayers earning more than $100,000, or 13.4% of the total.

While those top earners, earning six figures or more, represented only 13.4% of the total number of individual income tax returns reported to the IRS, they contributed nearly three-fourths of the total amount of federal tax revenue from individual filers reported for that year.

$100K-Plus Earners Pay 72% of Federal Income Taxes | CNS News

So why do you rightwingers howl when I point out that what conservatives really want to do is raise taxes on the poor and lower income Americans?

Taxpayers earning $100,000 or more a year pay 71.6% of the nation’s share in individual federal income taxes, according to the latest data from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) from 2011.

These data do not include corporate income taxes, or taxes on capital gains or dividends, or payroll taxes for Social Security and other programs.

In 2011, according to the IRS, there were 145,370,240 individual income tax returns filed. Among those returns, 125,914,418 or 86.6%, belonged to taxpayers earning a salary less than $100,000. The remaining 19,455,822 returns belonged to those taxpayers earning more than $100,000, or 13.4% of the total.

While those top earners, earning six figures or more, represented only 13.4% of the total number of individual income tax returns reported to the IRS, they contributed nearly three-fourths of the total amount of federal tax revenue from individual filers reported for that year.

So why do you rightwingers howl when I point out that what conservatives really want to do is raise taxes on the poor and lower income Americans?

We want them to pay SOMETHING!!! That way they they have a hand in the game when it comes to the gov pissing away our tax dollars.

It is an "income" tax

Those who have the most "income" pay the most tax

And funny how that happens even with a flat tax....

Nobody is saying that if you earn more, your total tax bill should be less.. but the RATE should be identical to everyone else's on each and every dollar...

Funny how people don't care how government spends, hands shit out, or anything else, when they do not have a stake in the game

I agree and that's why I posted that earlier. Everyone should have some skin in the game.
But we part ways on the flat tax.

0 to $2 is "raising taxes" on the poor and lower income Americans. But I don't think that is a bad thing.

In reality nobody gains in the liberal redistribution game but the government.

The short guy stays where he is on food stamps and handouts.
The middle guy loses his box.
The tall guy gets to stand in a hole.

I agree 100% that the goal of taxes and aid should not be to redistribute wealth.

Help those who need helping. It is what great societies do

Yes, that is absolutely correct. BUT, there is a difference between voluntary help via charities, churches, etc and mandatory help via government confiscation of wealth.

Americans are the most giving people in the history of the world--------------But do not take our money and then decide who gets it, WE should decide who gets our help.

I know thats a tough concept for a marxist like you, but thats what the US constitution and declaration of independence are all about----------FREEDOM.

What conservatives really want is for the government to stop spending more than it takes in. Raising anyone's taxes is not the answer, the problem is not too little revenue, the problem is too much spending.

you libs always try to take this debate into taxes and who should pay more, but thats not really the issue.

0 to $2 is "raising taxes" on the poor and lower income Americans. But I don't think that is a bad thing.

I dunno. The EITC was pretty bipartisan, and imo works well. The working poor ARE in effect paying taxes, with corporate taxes being passed on down, but it's hopelessly abstract. I think everyone should pay a buck or two if they have any income.

I dunno. The EITC was pretty bipartisan, and imo works well. The working poor ARE in effect paying taxes, with corporate taxes being passed on down, but it's hopelessly abstract. I think everyone should pay a buck or two if they have any income.

sounds like we agree, for the record EIC is a negative tax, those using it pay zero taxes but get a refund. I am not saying it is bad, but lets see it for what it is.

OP- Total BS
Misconceptions and Realities About Who Pays Taxes ? Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

At a Senate Finance Committee hearing in May 2011, Senator Charles Grassley said, “According to the Joint Committee on Taxation, 49 percent of households are paying 100 percent of taxes coming in to the federal government” (meaning that the other 51 percent pay no federal tax whatsoever). At the same hearing, Cato Institute Senior Fellow Alan Reynolds asserted, “Poor people don’t pay taxes in this country.” In 2010, Fox Business host Stuart Varney said on Fox and Friends, “Yes, 47 percent of households pay not a single dime in taxes.”[13]
None of these assertions are correct. As the Tax Policy Center’s Howard Gleckman noted regarding a TPC estimate that almost half of Americans owed no federal income tax in 2009, “rarely has a bit of data been so misunderstood, or so misused.” Gleckman wrote:
Let me explain — repeat actually — what [the figure] means: About half of taxpayers paid no federal income tax last year. It does not mean they paid no tax at all. Many shelled out Social Security and Medicare payroll taxes. [….] Some paid property taxes and, it is fair to say, just about all of them paid sales taxes of one kind or another. So to say they pay no taxes is flat wrong.[14]
The reality is that the income tax is one of a number of types of taxes that individuals pay, both over the course of their lifetimes and in a given year, and it makes little sense to treat it as though it were the only tax that matters. Some 82 percent of working households pay more in payroll taxes than in federal income taxes.[15] In fact, low- and moderate-income people pay a much larger share of their incomes in federal payroll taxes than high-income people do: taxpayers in the bottom 20 percent of the income scale paid an average of 8.8 percent of their incomes in payroll taxes in 2007, compared to 1.6 percent of income for those in the top 1 percent of the income distribution (see Figure 2).[16]
There are two reasons why this is the case: high-income taxpayers generate much larger shares of their incomes than other households do from sources such as capital gains and dividends that aren’t subject to the Social Security payroll tax;[17] and earnings above $110,100 in 2012 aren’t subject to the Social Security tax. That means that, as Aviva Aron-Dine wrote in a recent Milken Review article, “dishwashers pay a larger share of income in payroll taxes than, say, neurosurgeons.”[18]
Taking payroll taxes into account, in 2009, some 83 percent of filers paid either some federal payroll or some federal income tax. In 2007, the most recent non-recession year, 86 percent of filers paid either some federal payroll or some federal income tax.[19]
In addition, Congressional Budget Office data show that lower-income households pay a significantly larger share of their incomes in federal excise taxes (levied on goods such as gasoline) than middle- and upper-income households do.
When all federal taxes are considered, it is clear that the overwhelming majority of Americans pay such taxes. CBO data show that the poorest fifth of households paid an average of 4 percent of their incomes in federal taxes despite their low incomes in 2007, while the next fifth paid an average of 10 percent of income in federal taxes.
Low-income families also pay substantial state and local taxes. Most state and local
taxes are regressive, meaning that low-income families pay a larger share of their incomes in these taxes than wealthier households do. The bottom fifth of taxpayers paid 12.3 percent of their incomes in state and local taxes in 2011, according to the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy (ITEP).[20] That was well above the 7.9 percent average rate that the top 1 percent of households paid (see Figure 3).
Considering all taxes — federal, state, and local — the bottom 20 percent of households pays an average of 16 to 17 percent of their incomes in taxes. The next 20 percent of households pays about 21 percent of income in taxes, on average. [21]
In fact, when all taxes are considered, the share of taxes that each fifth of households pays is similar to its share of the nation’s total income.[22] ITEP data show that in 2011, the bottom fifth of households received 3.4 percent of the total income in the nation and paid 2.1 percent of the total taxes. The middle fifth of households received 11.4 percent of income and paid 10.3 percent of taxes. The top 1 percent of households received 21.0 percent of income and paid 21.6 percent of taxes. The tax system as a whole is only mildlyprogressive.[23]

Last edited:
Please! All of you! For the love of God and life itself....

KNOW what you are talking about....

What is the definition of INCOME when it comes to the IRS and the Supreme court's rulings?

INCOME = PROFIT an Income tax is a PROFIT TAX

The IRS taxes your PROFIT....

Just as they ONLY TAX Corporations on the corporate PROFITS....

The IRS NEVER EVER TAXES ANYONE on their gross revenues or gross income.....

Therefore it makes sense that the lower half does not owe taxes because they did not make a profit with their income/revenues, and it describes the downward trend of the average American not coming out ahead with their own incomes..... while those at the top ARE MAKING MORE PROFIT from their incomes/total revenues taken in.

so to reiterate

Income for the purposes of paying an INCOME TAX=PROFIT.....so an income tax is a tax on ones profit.....

this is why you can use the long form and itemize your deductions just as Corporations can take their qualified deductions and deduct them from their Revenue intake, before being taxed on the remaining amount, the PROFIT.

If you do not use the Long form when filing taxes, then you are given the Standard deduction and personal exemptions which COUNTS as "your yearly expenses" deducted from your gross revenues BEFORE you are taxed on the remaining....IF there is no remaining, then YOU DID NOT MAKE A PROFIT that can be (income) taxed.

Last edited:
I agree 100% that the goal of taxes and aid should not be to redistribute wealth.

Yes, that is absolutely correct. BUT, there is a difference between voluntary help via charities, churches, etc and mandatory help via government confiscation of wealth.

Americans are the most giving people in the history of the world--------------But do not take our money and then decide who gets it, WE should decide who gets our help.

I know thats a tough concept for a marxist like you, but thats what the US constitution and declaration of independence are all about----------FREEDOM.

There is no way that a society of over 300 million can provide for its less fortunate by charities alone. Even the charities will tell you that

Note: if private gifts to charities could support the needs of the poor, disabled, elderly we would not need ANY government help.

What conservatives really want is for the government to stop spending more than it takes in. Raising anyone's taxes is not the answer, the problem is not too little revenue, the problem is too much spending.

you libs always try to take this debate into taxes and who should pay more, but thats not really the issue.

Since when? If that were the case, they would insist on identified spending cuts before they cut taxes.......they never have

Cut taxes and ask questions later

We are indeed being cruel to the rich, with their 25% marginal tax rate. I lay awake at night worrying how Mitt is going to make ends meet with his 16% tax rate. I am really glad that the Right was not paying attention back in the late 1950's when the marginal tax rate was 90%. Elvis was in that bracket every year.

Last edited:

sounds like we agree, for the record EIC is a negative tax, those using it pay zero taxes but get a refund. I am not saying it is bad, but lets see it for what it is.

Sure. It's essentially a work incentive that, in effect, boosts pay. I didn't like Obamacare, but didn't have any problem with tax credits for people to buy their own insurance, provided they wanted to and liked what they bought.

But everyone who can work needs to "have some skin in the game."

A perfect example of just how easily the Right are deceived by meaningless unrelated stats strung together. The fact that wage earners make up 13.4% of the population has nothing to do with how fair their tax bill might be, unless we had a "Head" tax.

When the deceivers say "top earners" they really mean "top WAGE earners" because it is wage earners who pay most of the income taxes. The truly wealthy do not work for the common wage. They are paid in stock options and the like which are tax free until "realized" and are exempt from payroll taxes. The bottom 2/3 of income pay as much or more in payroll taxes as they do in income taxes. So to consider income taxes only is deliberately deceptive.

I'll let your MessiahRushie explain it to you how the truly rich avoid income taxes:

August 7, 2007
CALLER: And, you know, and the way our tax system works, we have an overly complex system, which in and of itself is a problem, but the way our tax system works and the way the tax laws are written, it's based on a few kind of like hinge numbers like adjusted gross income and taxable income, and while the soak the rich -- or however you choose to describe it -- really doesn't come down that way. It really comes down to much lower income levels.

RUSH: It does, exactly, and here's the dirty little secret if you ever to pull it off. It's hard. This is why most people don't understand the tax-the-rich business. You've got to structure your life so you have no "earned" income. I'm out of time. I'll explain that. There's a category called earned income versus other kinds of income. Earned income is what the income tax rate is on. That's how "the rich" do it. They don't have "earned" income.
END TRANSCRIPT

The Truth About Taxes
August 6, 2007
RUSH: I've told you before: the income tax is designed to keep people like his [Buffett's] secretary from becoming wealthy! There is no "wealth" tax. So this is a big misnomer. ...
But there's no tax on wealth. There is a tax on income, and the tax on income is designed to keep everybody who is not wealthy from getting there.
I'm talking about genuine wealth, not the way Democrats define "rich."

There is no way that a society of over 300 million can provide for its less fortunate by charities alone. Even the charities will tell you that

Note: if private gifts to charities could support the needs of the poor, disabled, elderly we would not need ANY government help.

Less fortunate?

Democrats want everyone to be "less fortunate". :lol:

We want them to pay SOMETHING!!! That way they they have a hand in the game when it comes to the gov pissing away our tax dollars.
But the poor DO pay something! The bottom 2/3 pay as much or more in payroll taxes as they do in income taxes, but capital gains, the income of the truly wealthy, is exempt from payroll taxes. If the poor should have income tax "skin" in the game, then the wealthy should have payroll tax "skin" in the game!!!

Your post pretty much shows us how little you know about the crux of the situation.

Federal Government land is the peoples land. If the federal government develops it for a specific use, so be it. It is used for that purpose. If, however, the federal government claims land as theirs and they do nothing with it, it comes to question as to why they actually took it to begin with...FOR IT IS THE PEOPLES LAND....and until it is developed for a specific use, the people should have access to it.

Seems to me you have forgotten that the government is not just FOR the people....but BY the people.

And not just by this one people who wants to get free feed for his cattle.

He never claimed it was his land
He never denied that he owed grazing fees
He just got his panties in a twist over a bunch of turtles and said he wasn't going to pay what he owed any more.

This isn't a story about governmental abuse. It's not a story about government talking his land (it's not his land). The issue has been decided in the courts many times.

This is a story about a freeloader who threw a hissy fit when he got tossed off the gravy train.

I told you to check into Harry Reid and using govt land for a solar power panel farm, did you do that? If not, you should because you might find out what this is really about.
Do you mean the ENN solar project 100 miles south of Bundy's farm that was cancelled a year ago and has absolutely nothing to do with Bundy not paying his fees?

Forum List

Back