14 year old learns the color of his skin is more important than the content of his character

I think this kid knew exactly what he was doing and some adult put him up to it.

This is ridiculous. Are our schools run by idiots with cretin guards/leos? One sane person should have stopped this. It appears none went to work that day?

Really, it could have been a bomb. How is your typical high school teacher supposed to know what is a bomb, and what isn't. The police have experts who can tell the difference, but your typical cop would not be sent to disarm a bomb.

This kid - and he is a child - was treated like a criminal. He was handcuffed, "interviewed" by law enforcement - WITHOUT his parents being notified, without a lawyer and forbidden from calling anyone. This is an AMERICAN CITIZEN and a child!!!!!

If a kid walked into class with a pressure cooker, would you not be concerned?

You wait for it to go off?

Many schools have metal detectors, but a briefcase wired with electronics shouldn't make the school nervous?
There isn't nearly enough information here to draw any kind of conclusions from.

All I've seen is a rather large circuit board, which, by itself, is absolutely no cause to suggest bomb-making. In fact, the only way an electronic circuit might be useful where bombs are concerned would be timing, and such a circuit would be less than one-tenth the size of the kid's board. Further, a very efficient bomb-timer can be made from an ordinary two-dollar wind-up pocket watch, so the idea of using an elaborate electronic circuit board is utterly incongruous.

Also, and this is important, making an electronic clock is a rather common learner's project. Kits for such projects are sold by special suppliers. Electronic Kits LED Clock Kits - Fun to Build Electronic Kits

Here's the thing. If a teacher found this device, and didn't reprort it, and then it was a bomb, lots of kids would have died.

It is stupid and idiotic to take take the kid's side on this.

If he's smart enough to build a clock that looks like a bomb, he is smart enough to know what would happen.

The net result is bad. People will now be afraid to report a suspicious device or package.

More people will die.

Really, it could have been a bomb. How is your typical high school teacher supposed to know what is a bomb, and what isn't. The police have experts who can tell the difference, but your typical cop would not be sent to disarm a bomb.

This kid - and he is a child - was treated like a criminal. He was handcuffed, "interviewed" by law enforcement - WITHOUT his parents being notified, without a lawyer and forbidden from calling anyone. This is an AMERICAN CITIZEN and a child!!!!!

If a kid walked into class with a pressure cooker, would you not be concerned?

You wait for it to go off?

Many schools have metal detectors, but a briefcase wired with electronics shouldn't make the school nervous?
There isn't nearly enough information here to draw any kind of conclusions from.

All I've seen is a rather large circuit board, which, by itself, is absolutely no cause to suggest bomb-making. In fact, the only way an electronic circuit might be useful where bombs are concerned would be timing, and such a circuit would be less than one-tenth the size of the kid's board. Further, a very efficient bomb-timer can be made from an ordinary two-dollar wind-up pocket watch, so the idea of using an elaborate electronic circuit board is utterly incongruous.

Also, and this is important, making an electronic clock is a rather common learner's project. Kits for such projects are sold by special suppliers. Electronic Kits LED Clock Kits - Fun to Build Electronic Kits
None of this matters, don't you get it. Only the science teacher is going to know it's not a bomb. He fucked up because he let the kid keep it. He should have taken it.

Your story isn't very accurate. The kid didn't take it to his teacher, the alarm wen off on it and the teacher asked to see it. In this day and age it is better to err on the side of safety, Wouldn't you agree?

Calling the police and having him arrested? If I was a cowardly rube who sees a terrorist in every brown colored young man I might agree, but since I have a functioning brain and don't give in to constant fear mongering propaganda, no, I don't agree.

This specific brown colored young man had a device in his school bag that could have been something other than what it was. Should they have arrested him? No. Should the school just take the kids word for it when he said it was a clock? No. Should the cops have been called to investigate? Of course. Two brown colored young men killed and maimed how many at the Boston Marathon with a damn crock pot bomb. So if the cops had gotten a hold of the Boston bombers prior to the bomb going off and they said 'oh no, it's just a crock pot for cooking' they should have just taken their word for it? Ah . . . no.

You guys can whine all you want about 'race' or 'profiling' but the fact is that muslim extremists (brown colored people) are lopping off people's heads, burning people alive, crucifying people (including children), blowing people up, torturing people, knocking down buildings with airplanes, and until that is stopped looking at a brown colored person who is in possession of a device that appears to be able to blow people up will be looked at suspiciously. As it, and they, should be.
Would you mind terribly if I asked you to post which American cities have experienced this awful wave of beheadings, burning people alive, crucifying people or other terrible crimes by the bad brown people???

The world, bub. Turn on the news.

Have you forgotten 9/11 and all the other successful and attempted terrorist attacks in the US, carried out by muslim extremists?

You leftists sure are dumb bunch.
So in other words you have no link to any bad brown people burning, lynching, beheading or any other acts that were lied about earlier as happening in American cities...lol.
Tell you what bubba...use some preparation H on your asshole; it must hurt using it as your mouth.

Here's the thing. If a teacher found this device, and didn't reprort it, and then it was a bomb, lots of kids would have died.

It is stupid and idiotic to take take the kid's side on this.

If he's smart enough to build a clock that looks like a bomb, he is smart enough to know what would happen.

The net result is bad. People will now be afraid to report a suspicious device or package.

More people will die.

It ISN'T a bomb, moron.

No one will "die" because the time is fucking 2:27.

- The shop teacher advised him not to show this "clock" to other teachers, and he still went out of his way to do so (according to the kid).

No, he didnt, you just made that up :rofl:

I could just punch you in the face. From your own damn OP:

“He was like, ‘That’s really nice,’” Ahmed said. “‘I would advise you not to show any other teachers.’”

Where's the part where he went out his way to show everyone?

You keep asking me to do your little research questions like I have nothing better to do with my time. If you got an argument to make, then make it. This kid went against the advice of counsel and showcased his "clock" for students and staff to see. Clearly, the original teacher saw it as more than a "clock" as did the teacher as did the principal as did the police.

The science teacher knew it wasn't a bomb but let the kid keep, but told him not to show it to anyone.

So blame the science teacher. He should have confiscated the clock and given it back at the end of the school day.

Don't blame people who can't tell the difference between a clock and a bomb. If you don't know what it is, you err on the side of caution.

NMC_15MohamedAhmed2

After taking a homemade clock to school, Irving MacArthur High student Ahmed Mohamed, 14, was taken in handcuffs to juvenile detention. Police say they may charge him with making a hoax bomb — though they acknowledge he told everyone who would listen that it’s a clock.

snip*

He showed it to his engineering teacher first thing Monday morning and didn’t get quite the reaction he’d hoped for.

“He was like, ‘That’s really nice,’” Ahmed said. “‘I would advise you not to show any other teachers.’”

He kept the clock inside his school bag in English class, but the teacher complained when the alarm beeped in the middle of a lesson. Ahmed brought his invention up to show her afterward.

“She was like, it looks like a bomb,” he said.

“I told her, ‘It doesn’t look like a bomb to me.’”

The teacher kept the clock. When the principal and a police officer pulled Ahmed out of sixth period, he suspected he wouldn’t get it back.

They led Ahmed into a room where four other police officers waited. He said an officer he’d never seen before leaned back in his chair and remarked: “Yup. That’s who I thought it was.”

Ahmed felt suddenly conscious of his brown skin and his name — one of the most common in the Muslim religion. But the police kept him busy with questions.

The bell rang at least twice, he said, while the officers searched his belongings and questioned his intentions. The principal threatened to expel him if he didn’t make a written statement, he said.

“They were like, ‘So you tried to make a bomb?’” Ahmed said.

“I told them no, I was trying to make a clock.”

“He said, ‘It looks like a movie bomb to me.’”

Detective Dipshit!

I stand with Ahmed

Heres the best part.....They are STILL INVESTIGATING THE CLOCK!!

Thanks to progressives and the never ending Jesse Jackson led permanent victim mentality yes, it is a fact. A sad fact. You would have thought that people would have learned by now that what MLK was saying was true. Sadly the progressives have undermined his sage words at every opportunity.

Yep, despite all the efforts to change this situation by republicans liberals just keep on beating them :rolleyes:

Progressives are leading the charge to divide the USA into its various constituent parts and play them off against each other so that ever more restrictive legislation can be passed to "control the situation". I believe the term is "divide, and conquer"

I would not handcuff him. I would allow him to call his parents. I would allow his parents to be present. Seriously - this is a child. He does NOT lose his civil right because he brings in a clock!

Agree

Nothing about the kid screams badass or threat. They had him under control. They had the "bomb". Let the kid sit and wait for his parents. If given the chance, the kid could have easily explained his clock and how it workd.

Overreaction from those claiming to be adults

NMC_15MohamedAhmed2

After taking a homemade clock to school, Irving MacArthur High student Ahmed Mohamed, 14, was taken in handcuffs to juvenile detention. Police say they may charge him with making a hoax bomb — though they acknowledge he told everyone who would listen that it’s a clock.

snip*

He showed it to his engineering teacher first thing Monday morning and didn’t get quite the reaction he’d hoped for.

He kept the clock inside his school bag in English class, but the teacher complained when the alarm beeped in the middle of a lesson. Ahmed brought his invention up to show her afterward.

“She was like, it looks like a bomb,” he said.

“I told her, ‘It doesn’t look like a bomb to me.’”

The teacher kept the clock. When the principal and a police officer pulled Ahmed out of sixth period, he suspected he wouldn’t get it back.

They led Ahmed into a room where four other police officers waited. He said an officer he’d never seen before leaned back in his chair and remarked: “Yup. That’s who I thought it was.”

Ahmed felt suddenly conscious of his brown skin and his name — one of the most common in the Muslim religion. But the police kept him busy with questions.

The bell rang at least twice, he said, while the officers searched his belongings and questioned his intentions. The principal threatened to expel him if he didn’t make a written statement, he said.

“They were like, ‘So you tried to make a bomb?’” Ahmed said.

“I told them no, I was trying to make a clock.”

“He said, ‘It looks like a movie bomb to me.’”

Detective Dipshit!

I stand with Ahmed

Heres the best part.....They are STILL INVESTIGATING THE CLOCK!!

LOLOLOL....I'm sorry, if its muslim and its building anything but a damned hero sandwich, I'm nervous. 10,000 clock building muslims are headed to this country in the next few months, one will eventually end up as a bomb....so be prepared, you liberal loving conservatives!!

Kid was so smart to build a device from scratch to tell time but did not know the alarm was set to go off in English class?

Well done Texas. Way to scare and confuse a kid for showing the slightest intellectual curiosity. Nothing says 'threat to society' like a NASA T shirt.

150916104643-ahmed-mohamed-texas-student-arrested-exlarge-169.jpg

The icing on the cake? Even after the school and police realized they had royally fucked up.......the kid was still suspended for 3 days.

I'm sure from Texas' perspective they were both at fault. As for his part, the kid went to school while brown.
Odd. That kid was neither scared nor confused during the whole ordeal. Kids these days are smart. They play their teachers all the time. This one even played the President.

- The shop teacher advised him not to show this "clock" to other teachers, and he still went out of his way to do so (according to the kid).

No, he didnt, you just made that up :rofl:

I could just punch you in the face. From your own damn OP:

Where's the part where he went out his way to show everyone?

You keep asking me to do your little research questions like I have nothing better to do with my time. If you got an argument to make, then make it. This kid went against the advice of counsel and showcased his "clock" for students and staff to see. Clearly, the original teacher saw it as more than a "clock" as did the teacher as did the principal as did the police.

You said he went out of his way to show it after being told not to. I said that was a lie. You cant seem to back it up and now want to blow past that lie you told. Thats the point, but you knew that already

I guess my thirteen year old is a gotdamned genius then.

I asked him, "How do you tell the difference between a homemade alarm clock and a bomb?"

You know what he said? He said, one will have some sort of explosives, like C4, dynamite, a large amount of liquid or plastique wired into the clock, the other will just be electronics with no unidentified substance that is your explosive residue attached, which will look out of place.

Yeah, very good. Genius? I'm not too sure. Maybe. Perhaps they have just stopped teaching critical thinking. Who knows.

Exactly. The teachers maybe just acting of fear and innocently ignorant. BUT the cops who looked at this clock should know better or just plain stupid. It's clock end of story.

Forum List

Back