1943 Underwood M1 Carbine

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I picked this one up today.....I gave too damn much but I liked it.....I have around $850.00 in it.

c 001 (2).JPG

Post war refurb likely done by Underwood as there are a preponderance of Underwood parts. Underwood refinished a lot of carbines so that is not all that unusual.

Underwood Type IV trigger group and it's parts, round Underwood bolt/slide.

It's in a very nice walnut Overton marked stock/HG. It came with a Inland mag. I had the GI oiler and post war sling on-hand.

Underwood T marked receiver and Underwood barrel (9-43). Serial is GTG with the barrel date.

I dug around and found a nice '43 dated "stock" pouch I had stashed away to stick on it.

Underwood T marked receiver and Underwood barrel (9-43). Serial is GTG with the barrel date.

I dug around and found a nice '43 dated "stock" pouch I had stashed away to stick on it.
Yea, I've got a stock pouch on mine as well, not a repop, cleaning kit is not a repop either, including original oil can with oil.

I picked this one up today.....I gave too damn much but I liked it.....I have around $850.00 in it.

View attachment 671947

Post war refurb likely done by Underwood as there are a preponderance of Underwood parts. Underwood refinished a lot of carbines so that is not all that unusual.

Underwood Type IV trigger group and it's parts, round Underwood bolt/slide.

It's in a very nice walnut Overton marked stock/HG. It came with a Inland mag. I had the GI oiler and post war sling on-hand.

Looks good. I picked up a Standard Products made one last week. I need to find a proper barrel band, and rear sight, but otherwise it is good to go.

Yea, I've got a stock pouch on mine as well, not a repop, cleaning kit is not a repop either, including original oil can with oil.
The funny thing is they were not really designed as a "stock pouch" but as a belt pouch to be attached to the female snap on the M1936 pistol belt like the double mag M1911 pouch. They just happened to fit a carbine's stock.....GI ingenuity.

Often (back in the surplus store days) you would find where the male snap on the pouch would be removed so it would fit better on the stock, a sure sign it was used on a carbine. The surplus store in town had hundreds of them.

Likewise you would see surplus carbine stocks that had round marks on them where the male snap, when not removed, would leave them.

Looks good. I picked up a Standard Products made one last week. I need to find a proper barrel band, and rear sight, but otherwise it is good to go.
Do you mean "proper" as in returning it to WW-2 configuration?

I have a '44 Underwood that's 100% correct and to be honest I prefer the post-war versions with their better sights as shooters but I get it.

U 001 (2).JPG

LOL....Here's a project M1 carbine (Plainfield/commercial) I finished the other say.

U 002 (2).JPG

I had a Choate Tool folder and I cut the stock off and made a adaptor for a ACE stock I had in the parts bin.

The Choate folders are top notch but the LOP is too long to suit me. The hardest part was getting it straight so I tacked/bent it to where I wanted it before the final weld.

ften (back in the surplus store days) you would find where the male snap on the pouch would be removed so it would fit better on the stock, a sure sign it was used on a carbine. The surplus store in town had hundreds of them.
Yup, mine has it on there, missing the snap, too. It's hard to find originals these days, collectors have huge collections and are now hoarding everything.

Do you mean "proper" as in returning it to WW-2 configuration?

I have a '44 Underwood that's 100% correct and to be honest I prefer the post-war versions with their better sights as shooters but I get it.

View attachment 672268

LOL....Here's a project M1 carbine (Plainfield/commercial) I finished the other say.

View attachment 672272

I had a Choate Tool folder and I cut the stock off and made a adaptor for a ACE stock I had in the parts bin.

The Choate folders are top notch but the LOP is too long to suit me. The hardest part was getting it straight so I tacked/bent it to where I wanted it before the final weld.

Yes, return it to WWII. I have an IBM, a Rockola, and a paratrooper that are all correct. I have an IP in addition to the Standard Products that I am looking for proper parts for.

Yes, return it to WWII. I have an IBM, a Rockola, and a paratrooper that are all correct. I have an IP in addition to the Standard Products that I am looking for proper parts for.
Once they have the bayonet lug/band on them a "ghost" is left behind as to it's presence....I guess you could have them re-parked to "match the hatch" but they will still be what they are.....A post war refurb that was re-converted back to WW-2 trim.

Once they have the bayonet lug/band on them a "ghost" is left behind as to it's presence....I guess you could have them re-parked to "match the hatch" but they will still be what they are.....A post war refurb that was re-converted back to WW-2 trim.

None of them have ever had the bayonet barrel band on them, so no ghosting, just the wrong band on the SP, and I need the proper hammer and rear sight for the IP.

I got a Winchester when the CMP were selling the Korean returns a few years ago. Nice little carbine. I loaded 2K of hot (2100 FPS) soft point ammo for it and have it as one of my SHTF weapons.

I got a Winchester when the CMP were selling the Korean returns a few years ago. Nice little carbine. I loaded 2K of hot (2100 FPS) soft point ammo for it and have it as one of my SHTF weapons.
I did not think that the CMP ever got any of those S. Korean carbines....At least they had not as of 2018. A shit-ton were sold here in the 80s under various importer's name.....Blue Sky and Arlington Ordnance being the primary importers.

South Korea has approximately 80,000 M1 Garands and about 600,000 M1 Carbines loaned to that country under MAP. South Korea aborted an attempt to sell those loaned firearms to U.S. importers a few years ago. CMP is hopeful that these will also eventually be repatriated and passed on to the American citizen.

I believe they ended-up being purchased by a Korean entity and sold on the open market.....Something to do with the Koreans wanting too much for them and the CMP telling them no.

I did not think that the CMP ever got any of those S. Korean carbines....At least they had not as of 2018. A shit-ton were sold here in the 80s under various importer's name.....Blue Sky and Arlington Ordnance being the primary importers.

South Korea has approximately 80,000 M1 Garands and about 600,000 M1 Carbines loaned to that country under MAP. South Korea aborted an attempt to sell those loaned firearms to U.S. importers a few years ago. CMP is hopeful that these will also eventually be repatriated and passed on to the American citizen.

I believe they ended-up being purchased by a Korean entity and sold on the open market.....Something to do with the Koreans wanting too much for them and the CMP telling them no.

I think he got one of the leftovers from the DCM when they were changed over to the CMP.

My bad. Italian returns.

Forum List

Back