2 year old taken by alligator at Disney

Should Disney be required to post signs that there may be snakes coyotes, and spiders on it's property?

WillowTree There should be a general warning of wild animals and to enter at your own risk. And not to feed or make contact, similar to a zoo. A special warning to people and parents not to walk pets or small children near water if alligators are a risk.
. Exactly... I mean these people were from Nebraska... There are no Gators in Nebraska, so these people had no prior experience with such an animal as that. They were completely in Disney's care while they were there, and Disney blew it. Can you imagine what these people are going through now ? Horrible situation it is. When people travel to areas like this, the assumption by the host should be that these people have got to be prepared for our area, and so they should be going through an orientation that educates them on the dangers and risk involved while here. Then the family can enjoy a happy safe vacation free from predators that might sneak up and pounce.
Obviously you have never been there.

I realize you are poor and have never been to Disney, but there are no alligators in the park itself, there are a few resorts where alligators are in the vicinity , those alligators are there on purpose because the patrons of those resorts LIKE seeing them. I mean people pay extra to be at the themed resorts that include wildlife in the vacinity. Go stay at one of the All Star resorts or whatever and there is nary an alligator to be found , because that is a different area where they have not been encouraged to be.

There are fucking signs everywhere reminding people to stay out of the water, there are alligators and other critters there.
FALSE! Are you a Disney stockholder ? If so, your stock just dropped. Big lawsuit coming up. The signs did NOT say to "stay out of the water" or anything about alligators, which they knew were present, since the FWC guy said they remove them from there routinely, as more enter from the canals (or by land) all the time.

The Disney honchos thought they could increase their sales$$ with a resort-like lake/beach. They just found out they were totally wrong, and now they will suffer huge LOSSE$ because they were stupid.

Should Disney be required to post signs that there may be snakes coyotes, and spiders on it's property?

WillowTree There should be a general warning of wild animals and to enter at your own risk. And not to feed or make contact, similar to a zoo. A special warning to people and parents not to walk pets or small children near water if alligators are a risk.
. Exactly... I mean these people were from Nebraska... There are no Gators in Nebraska, so these people had no prior experience with such an animal as that. They were completely in Disney's care while they were there, and Disney blew it. Can you imagine what these people are going through now ? Horrible situation it is. When people travel to areas like this, the assumption by the host should be that these people have got to be prepared for our area, and so they should be going through an orientation that educates them on the dangers and risk involved while here. Then the family can enjoy a happy safe vacation free from predators that might sneak up and pounce.
So you think all Nebraskans are totally unaware that alligators live in Fla.?

It's not a matter of awareness. Disney set the shoreline up like a sandy BEACH, INVITING people to be there (a dangerous place to be). They even had an Outdoor Movie Night there.

In contrast, there should have been no sand, should have been grass around the shore, and it should have been fenced off with fencing at least 4 feet high + Danger signs, about alligators. It should have been set up just the OPPOSITE of how it was.

In fairness, they are from Nebraska. They may be aware Florida has gators but might reasonably not expect gators at their resort. Most people are not aware how shallow sharks and gators patrol undetected. He may have thought 'no swimming' because of current or lack of lifeguard. Who, not from Fla or La, thinks ankle deep waters hide prehistoric monsters?
Exactly right. Disney gave it all the impression like it was safe to hang around by the water, and even go wading in it, with a pretty beach and movies at night. Their whole approach was toward making more money without a thought of public safety. They will pay for that now.

Mods f*kin' up my thread. This was about all the events in Orlando; not just the gator. Who is that scared of "duplicate" threads. Fuck. Stop wiping away individuality.

It's not a matter of awareness. Disney set the shoreline up like a sandy BEACH, INVITING people to be there (a dangerous place to be). They even had an Outdoor Movie Night there.

In contrast, there should have been no sand, should have been grass around the shore, and it should have been fenced off with fencing at least 4 feet high + Danger signs, about alligators. It should have been set up just the OPPOSITE of how it was.
Oh hell man, the beach was not a dangerous place to be. Out wading two feet deep was a dangerous place to be with your baby. I am sorry to hear that Nebraskans are unaware that alligators live in Florida.

Mods f*kin' up my thread. This was about all the events in Orlando; not just the gator. Who is that scared of "duplicate" threads. Fuck. Stop wiping away individuality.

Dear TheGreatGatsby
All the same, thanks for a great thread! It may not have been what you intended, or other people expected, but there were some good comments and corrections made here. Thank you for that, if it makes you feel any better. Take care, TGG. (Some venting also, which has everything to do with the upset mixed emotions across the country right now. We need all the group therapy we can get. Every bit helps.)

?
I thought there were laws or rule against soliciting business; clients have to contact lawyers, not the other way. Only when they are agreed to be their representation can they communicate back and forth. Lawyers aren't supposed to solicit other people's clients either.

Really? Then what are all those TV commercials and mass mailings lawyers run every day? Are they selling cookies?

I agree with you about the McDonald's case, but this is nothing like that. Baht Disney park has been around for decades, and it was posted. The semantic spin is just ridiculous that they should have had a list of every possible hazard, when the sing they had covered every possibility related to going in the water. No one can ever post enough signage to prevent Stupid Human Tricks.

Last edited:
In fairness, they are from Nebraska. They may be aware Florida has gators but might reasonably not expect gators at their resort. Most people are not aware how shallow sharks and gators patrol undetected. He may have thought 'no swimming' because of current or lack of lifeguard. Who, not from Fla or La, thinks ankle deep waters hide prehistoric monsters?
Exactly right. Disney gave it all the impression like it was safe to hang around by the water, and even go wading in it, with a pretty beach and movies at night. Their whole approach was toward making more money without a thought of public safety. They will pay for that now.

Better signage and awareness is needed for sure. It would be impossible to alligator-proof Disney & resorts without significant impact to the other wildlife that also live in and migrate to/through.

?
I thought there were laws or rule against soliciting business; clients have to contact lawyers, not the other way. Only when they are agreed to be their representation can they communicate back and forth. Lawyers aren't supposed to solicit other people's clients either.

Really? Then what are all those TV commercials and mass mailings lawyers run every day? Are they selling cookies?

I agree with you about the McDonald's case, but this is nothing like that. Baht Disney park has been around for decades, and it was posted. The semantic spin is just ridiculous that they should have had a list of every possible hazard, when the sing they had covered every possibility related to going in the water. No one can ever post enough signage to prevent Stupid Human Tricks.
Great point. For every drug on the market some shyster lawyer has a class action lawsuit against the maker.

I despise Disney, but this is entirely on the parents.

I disagree.

The parents were completely blameless. They were not properly warned about the presence of gators in the lake and all the blame for the child's death falls upon Disney World.

When I saw the “no swimming please” sign I actually laughed out loud. I have reviewed hundreds of cases involving warning labels, and this sign didn't come close to putting anyone on notice of a possible gator attack. Besides, the child was wading, not swimming, so the sign was meaningless. Swimming could have been prohibited for a number of reasons, which would have had no effect on waders (contaminated water for example). Even if the child had been swimming the sign gave no indication that this created a potentially life threatening situation. It could have been nothing more than a park rule designed to maintain a certain atmosphere. I would argue that the word “please” implies neither a warning nor a demand but merely a request. Disney World had an absolute obligation to warn their guests of any known dangers. They knew there were gators in the lake and were legally obligated to provide adequate warning of this danger. The silly “no swimming please” sign gave no warning whatsoever.

The parents are completely blameless. Merely wading in a few inches of water at the edge of a lake poses no immediate danger of any kind to the child. It's not like wading in the ocean where a wave can knock a child over and carry him into deeper water within seconds. The parents were close enough to the child that the father was able to grab hold of the gator before the child vanished from sight. The parents will sue and Disney World will have to dig deep into their pockets. I would be shocked if the case went to trial since Disney has no legitimate defense and the adverse publicity of a trial would not be in their best interest. My best guess: an out of court settlement in excess of $10 million. It could be a helluva lot more.

Disney has announced it is closing all it's beaches out of an abundance of caution.
They're missing a good opportunity to have gator hunting safaris.

Now they're going to kill all alligators around the area.
Kinda wrong to blame the whole species for the action of one gator.

#GatorLivesMatter
Yes I know. I was being a smart ass. I believe Disney should have had warning signs, probably didn't because it might tarnish the fantasy world they sell and I also believe people should do a bit of research when they go to unfamiliar places. Alligators just do what alligators do.

I disagree.

The parents were completely blameless. They were not properly warned about the presence of gators in the lake and all the blame for the child's death falls upon Disney World.

When I saw the “no swimming please” sign I actually laughed out loud. I have reviewed hundreds of cases involving warning labels, and this sign didn't come close to putting anyone on notice of a possible gator attack. Besides, the child was wading, not swimming, so the sign was meaningless. Swimming could have been prohibited for a number of reasons, which would have had no effect on waders (contaminated water for example). Even if the child had been swimming the sign gave no indication that this created a potentially life threatening situation. It could have been nothing more than a park rule designed to maintain a certain atmosphere. I would argue that the word “please” implies neither a warning nor a demand but merely a request. Disney World had an absolute obligation to warn their guests of any known dangers. They knew there were gators in the lake and were legally obligated to provide adequate warning of this danger. The silly “no swimming please” sign gave no warning whatsoever.

The parents are completely blameless. Merely wading in a few inches of water at the edge of a lake poses no immediate danger of any kind to the child. It's not like wading in the ocean where a wave can knock a child over and carry him into deeper water within seconds. The parents were close enough to the child that the father was able to grab hold of the gator before the child vanished from sight. The parents will sue and Disney World will have to dig deep into their pockets. I would be shocked if the case went to trial since Disney has no legitimate defense and the adverse publicity of a trial would not be in their best interest. My best guess: an out of court settlement in excess of $10 million. It could be a helluva lot more.

They were in two feet of water. How tall is a toddler?

I disagree.

They were in two feet of water. How tall is a toddler?

I've read varying reports on this. One report said they were 2 feet out in 1 foot of water.

Orlando is not too far from FSU where the Gators rule.

The Gators are Florida, not FSU. Tallahassee is far from Orlando.

They were having "Outdoor Movie Night" on that beach.

That's about as irresponsible as it gets. Alligators feed at night mostly, and are more active then. Especially in June. And they DID have an attack there before - 30 years ago. Now they've had 2 in the last 30 years.It's not many, but with the stakes this high, they should have been prepared, not having an Outdoor Movie Night.

I could just imagine what their boardroom discussions must have sounded like. Everything geared to bringing in more customers, making them more comfortable and happy, and making more money.....not a word about public safety.

This is a problem with our society. We have one set of irresponsible and stupid parents, so everybody has to suffer? I think not. What's next, we're all going to live in bubbles?

Also gators aren't really all that dangerous if you show them respect. I've lived in Florida for 30 years-and never once have I ever been anywhere close to being attacked by a gator.

I disagree.

Let's say they had a sign warning about gators, and a snake killed the kid, would Disney be responsible then? What do we need a laundry list of all of the potentially dangerous wildlife one a sign for people?

Forum List

Back