20 children hospitalized each day with gun injuries

So the husband and wife are both responsible? What if there are other adults that live in the house?

If the 5 yr old is just visiting do you prosecute his/her parents too for not watching the child?

Are there lesser offenses if the child fires the weapon but doesn't hit anybody?

what if they just SEE a weapon or touch it?

How about if the parents are sitting around talking about weapons in the child's presence.

What else (besides guns) can people readily buy in easy fashion that is made specifically for the purpose of easily, quickly and efficiently killing? An item that is the great equalizer in a fight. Size don't matter. That anyone can use if they have a finger. Anybody?

Take your shopping cart for instance. Is that made to specifically, indiscriminately be able to kill young uns? No, but the retailer providing those carts has insurance in case someones kid gets hurt in their cart. Because accidents happen.

Are cars made specifically to kill? No, but accidents do happen and sometimes it is vehicular homicide and insurance companies pay out big bucks. And drivers go to jail for their negligence. But it wasn't the car or the drivers intent to kill.

But a gun. That serves one purpose. To kill. You can have fun with targets. Get good. But you are practicing for when you have to shoot someone or something. Having a gun on you is having the power of life and death. It is what they are made for.

Could go on.

But the idea that a legal gun owner is not going to suffer under the law, for their negligent use or possession of a firearm in their home, resulting in the death or injury of a person under 14, that doesn't seem like responsible gun ownership is being served.

Many or some of you seem to think it funny or at least acceptable, leaving a loaded gun within reach or search by a young person.

You that think like that are fucked in the head. IMO.

Kinda like I've said before; you all are all against abortion. But after the kids here and growing up, they're shit out of luck if things go bad.

One thing, a few folks in jail for the way they owned a gun (negligent homicide), and taking away their ability to own guns in the future, would cause a lot of guns to get locked up safe and secure from kids. And other thieves.

Which made sense to me. Like I said, I got guns and kids.

Well good for you and I'm sure you handle your family and your guns in your own personal manner.

Leave other people alone. You aren't responsible for their children.

If you are concerned about you or your family being around them, stay away.

If people come to my house, I tell them which rooms they are allowed in because most of my weapons are ready and loaded all the time.

If they don't like it they can leave.

Do you sell drugs, or are you paranoid schizophrenic? Ya'know, I take my dog to the dog park, and what I've discovered is that some dogs are socialized and some are not; some dog owners are socialized, and some are not.

So everything you own provides a service to society?

I think allowing a person to carry a weapon to defend himself is a service to that individual.

You seem to forget that our government is based on the idea of individual rights not societal rights.

You seem to forget that we are a civilized society not a bunch of nomads who get to do what we please at any cost.

And exactly what about a law abiding citizen owning a gun or carrying a gun makes them uncivilized?

Nothing. But I'm favor of ensuring only those people are the one who can carry guns and not people who are incapable of handling that sort of responsibility.

We have licensing for cars, require insurance, hold car owners responsible for damages, require manufacturers to build a safer product

And yet all that still fails to stop hundreds of children from being injured in car crashes every day.

We have licensing for cars, require insurance, hold car owners responsible for damages, require manufacturers to build a safer product

And yet all that still fails to stop hundreds of children from being injured in car crashes every day.

The difference is that no one goes on a driving rampage, intent on running over as many children as possible.

The difference is that no one goes on a driving rampage, intent on running over as many children as possible.

Care to make a bet on that?

This is a truly horrific story from Brazil, made all the more terrible by the fact that is is so well documented and you can watch it unfold close-up, and by the fact that I have not been able to find any English-language coverage of it at all. Given the footage below, which shows a close-up of the accident attempted murder as it occurs, it is extremely fortunate that no cyclists or bystanders were killed.

The video below is very very hard to watch- it shows a peaceful, pleasant-looking dusk ride, with a hundred or more cyclists of all kinds (fewer than half of whom are wearing helmets) riding through a medium sized street in Porto Alegre. Young and old riding together on a warm evening: a friendly looking woman on a trike with her dog on the back, a guy in Red Bull kit, people on cruisers, some hipsters. It looks like a really fun, friendly evening ride.

Brazil Critical Mass Attack ? Dozens of Cyclists Mowed Down by Motorist

And sadly there are MANY more examples of this. People who wish to harm others are going to do so no matter what you ban.

What else (besides guns) can people readily buy in easy fashion that is made specifically for the purpose of easily, quickly and efficiently killing? An item that is the great equalizer in a fight. Size don't matter. That anyone can use if they have a finger. Anybody?

Take your shopping cart for instance. Is that made to specifically, indiscriminately be able to kill young uns? No, but the retailer providing those carts has insurance in case someones kid gets hurt in their cart. Because accidents happen.

Are cars made specifically to kill? No, but accidents do happen and sometimes it is vehicular homicide and insurance companies pay out big bucks. And drivers go to jail for their negligence. But it wasn't the car or the drivers intent to kill.

But a gun. That serves one purpose. To kill. You can have fun with targets. Get good. But you are practicing for when you have to shoot someone or something. Having a gun on you is having the power of life and death. It is what they are made for.

Could go on.

But the idea that a legal gun owner is not going to suffer under the law, for their negligent use or possession of a firearm in their home, resulting in the death or injury of a person under 14, that doesn't seem like responsible gun ownership is being served.

Many or some of you seem to think it funny or at least acceptable, leaving a loaded gun within reach or search by a young person.

You that think like that are fucked in the head. IMO.

Kinda like I've said before; you all are all against abortion. But after the kids here and growing up, they're shit out of luck if things go bad.

One thing, a few folks in jail for the way they owned a gun (negligent homicide), and taking away their ability to own guns in the future, would cause a lot of guns to get locked up safe and secure from kids. And other thieves.

Which made sense to me. Like I said, I got guns and kids.

Well good for you and I'm sure you handle your family and your guns in your own personal manner.

Leave other people alone. You aren't responsible for their children.

If you are concerned about you or your family being around them, stay away.

If people come to my house, I tell them which rooms they are allowed in because most of my weapons are ready and loaded all the time.

If they don't like it they can leave.

Do you sell drugs, or are you paranoid schizophrenic? Ya'know, I take my dog to the dog park, and what I've discovered is that some dogs are socialized and some are not; some dog owners are socialized, and some are not.

We have 2 cats, no dogs.

Cats don't need to be walked.

Have you ever heard of a cat park?

From the link in the OP:
""Three firearms-related patients each day are younger than 15 years of age,""

This means 17 of the 20 hospitalizations of "children" are of young people 15 years of age or older. Basically old enough to drive.

Driver charged with murder in L.A. boardwalk rampage

From the link in the OP:

This means 17 of the 20 hospitalizations of "children" are of young people 15 years of age or older. Basically old enough to drive.

And the age for "children" in the study goes up to 20 yrs old.. So that pretty much covers the gang-bangers and drive-by crowds.

Spidey, what about my fingerprint scanner idea? Is it fucking awesome or what?

Not really.

Too much of a chance for failure thereby leaving a weapon useless.

And why should I have to jump through hoops because some idiot doesn't do right by his kids?

Jump through hoops? Geez, you just put your thumb on the bottom of the handle, and all kids would be safe. You could even store your gun with the ammo in it, since it would need a scan to work anyways, making it faster to shoot an intruder or commit suicide or whatever.

And what happens when the scanner doesn't work? Or you happen to be wearing gloves in the winter?

Sorry That's like telling me I have to have child seats in my car when I don't have kids.

If you are a parent and you want to put trigger locks and scanners on your weapons feel free. There is no meed to force others to do so.

You seem to forget that we are a civilized society not a bunch of nomads who get to do what we please at any cost.

And exactly what about a law abiding citizen owning a gun or carrying a gun makes them uncivilized?

Nothing. But I'm favor of ensuring only those people are the one who can carry guns and not people who are incapable of handling that sort of responsibility.

And just how do you propose doing that?

Pools aren't designed to cause violence. Fail.

We're not talking about violence we are talking about accidents

Idiot.

The point doesn't change. Pools have a purpose that doesn't involve violence. Guns don't.

You people always say that but a gun can be used to stop a crime or an assault without ever being fired.

How many people have been deterred by the sound of a homeowner racking a shotgun?

I see self defense as a more important purpose than swimming and self defense is not violence.

Last edited:
Spidey, what about my fingerprint scanner idea? Is it fucking awesome or what?

Not really.

Too much of a chance for failure thereby leaving a weapon useless.

And why should I have to jump through hoops because some idiot doesn't do right by his kids?
Me! Me! Me!

God damn fucking right me.

You are not going to be there to protect my life are you?

If you're a parent and you want to put trigger locks and scanners on your guns go ahead.

I don't have kids there is no need for me to take precautions for your children. I suppose you want me to install child proof locks on my medicine cabinet so your kid won't get poisoned too right?

Last edited:
From the link in the OP:

And the age for "children" in the study goes up to 20 yrs old.. So that pretty much covers the gang-bangers and drive-by crowds.

I'm surprised they don't make the children cut-off at 26 like ACA

-Geaux

From the link in the OP:

I'm surprised they don't make the children cut-off at 26 like ACA

-Geaux

it is not far off

Forum List

Back