28% of Republican Primary Voters Will Not Support Trump in General Election

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Trump currently loses to Hillary by seven points, but the last sentence is key. When over a quarter of your party's primary voters won't even support you in the general election no matter what and half the country thinks you would be an embarrassment there is no way you are a viable candidate.

Most recently, a joint survey from CNN and ORC International released on Wednesday found 49% of American primary voters would choose Clinton while 47% would pick Trump. On Tuesday,Quinnipiac University released numbers that confirm the presidential race is aclose one; according to the university's data, American voters support Clinton 47% to Trump's 40%.

"Half of American voters say they'd be embarrassed to have Donald Trump as their commander in chief and most Americans think he doesn't have a good chance in November, but there he is, still at the top of the Republican heap," said the assistant director of Quinnipiac University's poll, Tim Malloy, in a statement. "Hillary Clinton tops him. [Vermont] Sen. Bernie Sanders hammers him and Sen. Ted Cruz is snapping at his heels. Can a candidate that half the American electorate thinks is an embarrassment win in November?"

According to the Quinnipiac University poll, a full 28% of Republican primary voters would "definitely not" support Trump.

2016 Presidential Poll Results: Here's Where Candidates Stand as the Year Draws to a Close

What's the percentage of republicans that wouldn't support Jeb Bush in a general election?

Hear this one every cycle...even said it myself a few times during primary season. Come General Election Day, they will pull the lever for the lessor of two evils, just like I did in 2012.

I won't support either of them. Trump is a stooge and Bush is too many Bushes. Other than that, I am fine with all of them. I like Carley best, But I really like Cruz lot. Not as much as I like Christie.....

Hear this one every cycle...even said it myself a few times during primary season. Come General Election Day, they will pull the lever for the lessor of two evils, just like I did in 2012.

And Romney failed to defeat what should have been a beatable president.

Labor unions giving serious thought to endorsing Trump

On Tuesday, the 1.4 million-member International Brotherhood of Teamsters announced its executive council would put off a decision on a presidential endorsement due a lack of consensus. Fox Newsreported that the delay was caused partly by members' support for Trump and that the union was seeking a meeting with the candidate.

The following day, Chris Shelton, president of the 600,000-member Communication Workers of America, told Politico that his union was putting off a presidential endorsement for the same reason. "If our members come out with Donald Trump, then we're going to endorse Donald Trump," he said.

His position to tariff products from Mexico and China is drawing Union attention................For them to even consider JUMPING OFF THE DEM SHIP is UNBELIEVABLE in this day and age.

Not me, Mittens was the last 'lesser of two' that I'll ever vote for. I'm done with voting against someone, I want to pull the lever for someone.

Fiorina, Cruz, Rubio would get my vote. If Trump gets the nod I'm staying home.

Trump currently loses to Hillary by seven points, but the last sentence is key. When over a quarter of your party's primary voters won't even support you in the general election no matter what and half the country thinks you would be an embarrassment there is no way you are a viable candidate.

Most recently, a joint survey from CNN and ORC International released on Wednesday found 49% of American primary voters would choose Clinton while 47% would pick Trump. On Tuesday,Quinnipiac University released numbers that confirm the presidential race is aclose one; according to the university's data, American voters support Clinton 47% to Trump's 40%.

"Half of American voters say they'd be embarrassed to have Donald Trump as their commander in chief and most Americans think he doesn't have a good chance in November, but there he is, still at the top of the Republican heap," said the assistant director of Quinnipiac University's poll, Tim Malloy, in a statement. "Hillary Clinton tops him. [Vermont] Sen. Bernie Sanders hammers him and Sen. Ted Cruz is snapping at his heels. Can a candidate that half the American electorate thinks is an embarrassment win in November?"

According to the Quinnipiac University poll, a full 28% of Republican primary voters would "definitely not" support Trump.

2016 Presidential Poll Results: Here's Where Candidates Stand as the Year Draws to a Close

if trump gets 40% of your party's voters, which is pretty much where he is now, it doesn't matter if a minority won't vote for him. there's always a minority who don't vote for a candidate... any candidate. national polls at this point are suspect anyway.

While that might seem true it hinges on Mrs. Rodham-Clinton/Lewinsky being The Democrat Party candidate.

She will not.

Lesser of two evils is a way to guarantee evils.
When that is the only options on the plate............You vote for the one that will do less damage...................

I would remind you that it is possible 2 Supremes may get selected under the next President.........I'd rather them picked by Trump than the Hildabeast.............

I'm not staying home...............Even if the VOTE is against Hillary.

Forum List

Back