48%: The Democratic Party needs to face an ugly reality

This is just a guess, of course, but somewhere around 48% of those who vote in November will be voting for Donald Trump. Without going into the laundry list of obvious examples or any of the standard talking points, there are certainly plenty of reasons not to. Yet he has a perfectly reasonable chance of winning.

Right now, polls show that about 43% of Americans approve of the job he's doing. This, after everything that has happened, and that number should be a very sobering indication of where this country is right now. Personally, I try to understand how these people can do this, but I still only understand some of it.

Anyway, here's the point: Elections are about contrasts. Choices. How can that many people support this disaster of a person? For many of them, they're looking at the alternative. And when those who provide their information and opinions for them point at things like PC and Identity Politics and Cancel Culture and an overall culture in decay, they can make reasonable points not to vote for the Democratic party. Even with, amazingly, this profoundly damaged person in the White House.

It's certainly too late to make any changes before November, but the Democratic party had a chance to take over the middle, and I don't see that happening. There is no excuse, zero, none, for the race to be this close. Regardless of who wins, the Democrats have too often allowed the wrong voices to represent them. It allows the Trumpsters to tie all the silliest crap coming from the hardcore Left to the milquetoast, feeble Biden.

This should be a learning experience, but I'm doubtful.
Annnnd.... once AGAIN... you speak totally from a left prospective, while pretending to be providing a centered argument.
The crux of your little post is simple:... Stupid fucking people will vote for Trump. Not every one is fucking stupid. The Democrats should be able to attract people who aren't so stupid. But they didn't.

And in your world.... that is an objective question/argument.
Holy cow

It certainly lines up with the evidence. I don't think there's anything particularly smart about voting for Biden, but Trump's anti-intellectualism and confused rhetoric make it pretty hard for intelligent people to sign on. Not saying they don't - lesser-of-two-evils prompts otherwise smart people to do all kinds of idiotic shit (like voting for Biden for example), but it's pretty obvious that the educated elite aren't Trump's base.
There is a big portion of the educated elite are trumps bases despite the fact he is a flaming idiot... they support him because he has more policies that will make them more money. Plain and simple

Biden isn’t there for groundbreaking ideas.His biggest asset is his relationships in congress and ability to unite. People who want our government to start working together instead of fighting like school
Children doing nothing should support Biden

WTF? When has Biden done anything inclusive? The guy is a total divider and hate monger

This is just a guess, of course, but somewhere around 48% of those who vote in November will be voting for Donald Trump. Without going into the laundry list of obvious examples or any of the standard talking points, there are certainly plenty of reasons not to. Yet he has a perfectly reasonable chance of winning.

Right now, polls show that about 43% of Americans approve of the job he's doing. This, after everything that has happened, and that number should be a very sobering indication of where this country is right now. Personally, I try to understand how these people can do this, but I still only understand some of it.

Anyway, here's the point: Elections are about contrasts. Choices. How can that many people support this disaster of a person? For many of them, they're looking at the alternative. And when those who provide their information and opinions for them point at things like PC and Identity Politics and Cancel Culture and an overall culture in decay, they can make reasonable points not to vote for the Democratic party. Even with, amazingly, this profoundly damaged person in the White House.

It's certainly too late to make any changes before November, but the Democratic party had a chance to take over the middle, and I don't see that happening. There is no excuse, zero, none, for the race to be this close. Regardless of who wins, the Democrats have too often allowed the wrong voices to represent them. It allows the Trumpsters to tie all the silliest crap coming from the hardcore Left to the milquetoast, feeble Biden.

I’ve been talking to a lot of Republicans about this and I actually hear a lot of them say that they really don’t like the man Trump is or how he acts, but they dislike the Dems even more as they don’t believe in many of their extreme policy objectives. So they are voting for Trump because of the common enemy not because they support all he does and says.

I think you’re right about the way the wings play into this. If the Dems go hard on the progressive causes... anti-gun, PC, cancel culture, raising taxes, regulating energy etc they are going to isolate many swing voters and push them into Trumps camp.
The problem is, if Trump wins again, the Dems STILL won't look in the mirror.

This is madness.
If the Dems lose and trump goes for another 4 then it’s rip for a third party to come in 2024. I’d love to see a strong play for that if that’s the situation
What do you need a third party for?...Better you purge your own party of the Marxist crackpots that are infesting it.
Because the Reps and Dems are too big, too powerful and too corrupt. People need to run on ideas and accomplishments not on a party line. We don’t need parties anymore except to raise millions of dollars to campaign with which is the root of the problem.
You have NFI what you're up against.

I worked with the Libertarian Party for two cycles...You'll never get your third party over the ballot access restrictions imposed by the states.....The LP spends millions and millions every year just to get on the ballot.
It’s gotta be a Perot, Cuban, Bloomberg type with the cash to do it and they have to run on Campaign reform to break up the Rs and Ds

Annnnd.... once AGAIN... you speak totally from a left prospective, while pretending to be providing a centered argument.
The crux of your little post is simple:... Stupid fucking people will vote for Trump. Not every one is fucking stupid. The Democrats should be able to attract people who aren't so stupid. But they didn't.

Holy cow

It certainly lines up with the evidence. I don't think there's anything particularly smart about voting for Biden, but Trump's anti-intellectualism and confused rhetoric make it pretty hard for intelligent people to sign on. Not saying they don't - lesser-of-two-evils prompts otherwise smart people to do all kinds of idiotic shit (like voting for Biden for example), but it's pretty obvious that the educated elite aren't Trump's base.
There is a big portion of the educated elite are trumps bases despite the fact he is a flaming idiot... they support him because he has more policies that will make them more money. Plain and simple

Biden isn’t there for groundbreaking ideas.His biggest asset is his relationships in congress and ability to unite. People who want our government to start working together instead of fighting like school

WTF? When has Biden done anything inclusive? The guy is a total divider and hate monger
He has worked with Republicans his whole career. You haven’t paid attention

I’ve been talking to a lot of Republicans about this and I actually hear a lot of them say that they really don’t like the man Trump is or how he acts, but they dislike the Dems even more as they don’t believe in many of their extreme policy objectives. So they are voting for Trump because of the common enemy not because they support all he does and says.

I think you’re right about the way the wings play into this. If the Dems go hard on the progressive causes... anti-gun, PC, cancel culture, raising taxes, regulating energy etc they are going to isolate many swing voters and push them into Trumps camp.

This is madness.
If the Dems lose and trump goes for another 4 then it’s rip for a third party to come in 2024. I’d love to see a strong play for that if that’s the situation
What do you need a third party for?...Better you purge your own party of the Marxist crackpots that are infesting it.
Because the Reps and Dems are too big, too powerful and too corrupt. People need to run on ideas and accomplishments not on a party line. We don’t need parties anymore except to raise millions of dollars to campaign with which is the root of the problem.

I worked with the Libertarian Party for two cycles...You'll never get your third party over the ballot access restrictions imposed by the states.....The LP spends millions and millions every year just to get on the ballot.

And the majors pepper them with frivolous lawsuits challenging that access. Combine that with 'reality tv' media, and there's not much hope. But - the real issue is the stupidity of voters. You simply can't maintain a democracy when voters are so easily manipulated.
I agree with you there. The “people” are robotic idiots

Holy cow

He has worked with Republicans his whole career. You haven’t paid attention

He hasn't worked with Republicans for 15 years. It's irrelevant what he did in the 90s.

Obviously I'm talking modern day. Biden is a total divider, a hate filled leftist demagogue

This is madness.

And the majors pepper them with frivolous lawsuits challenging that access. Combine that with 'reality tv' media, and there's not much hope. But - the real issue is the stupidity of voters. You simply can't maintain a democracy when voters are so easily manipulated.
I agree with you there. The “people” are robotic idiots

And what's funny is I hear serious democracy advocates bemoaning the same thing - without recognizing the contradiction.

The game is match play, not stroke play...And that's not going to change....Suck it up and apply some salve, crybaby.

Again, the game is letting an undemocratic system devised by slave rapists pick presidents the people clearly know aren't fit. Not sure why you are proud of that, exactly. The people said no. Trump has proven them right, save the 198,000 who are pushing up daisies right now because of his incompetence.

This is madness.

It’s gotta be a Perot, Cuban, Bloomberg type with the cash to do it and they have to run on Campaign reform to break up the Rs and Ds
Campaign reform isn't the answer. Election reform is what we need. Plurality, winner-take-all elections promote the two-party death spiral.

The game is match play, not stroke play...And that's not going to change....Suck it up and apply some salve, crybaby.

Again, the game is letting an undemocratic system devised by slave rapists pick presidents the people clearly know aren't fit. Not sure why you are proud of that, exactly. The people said no. Trump has proven them right, save the 198,000 who are pushing up daisies right now because of his incompetence.

All those people are dead. They were dead when your grandparents were born. Get over it.

If you don't like the system, the Constitution is a living document. So change it. 2/3, 2/3 and 3/4 and you can change how we vote.

Though a lot of us like what the founding fathers did on the EC and the reason they did it. We thought more than New York, Chicago and LA should pick our President. But you have the right to advocate we go to tyranny of the majority. So try it

Has nothing to do with left/right, dullard....Rohm and Strasser were seen as political liabilities.....That's how purges work.

Actually, it had EVERYTHING to do with right/left. The NSDAP started out as a radical socialist party, but it was "National Socialism" as opposed to other socialist movements that were internationalist. However, when the big German Corporations and the Military wanted to use Hitler as their tool, he had to get rid of the guys who took that socialism stuff seriously. So Strasser and Roehm got purged.

This is madness.

This is madness.

Perot was a one-off and the hurdles in many states are even higher now because of his candidacy....The debates are now closed to anyone but (R) & (D) because of him.

I worked in the trenches, while you're spitballing on a message board....You have next to zero chance of getting any new third party on enough ballots to do anything.

Holy cow

There is nothing smart about voting for either candidate, I still am at a loss as to why 2016 became Clinton vs. Trump and now Biden vs. Trump. The two parties have failed us. It is time to look and to reach out to other parties that are running for President.

I'm not sure who I am voting for yet however, it won't be Trump nor Biden. I hate the lesser of two evils idea.

Actually Hillary ONLY got the Popular Vote via TWO States California and New York, it was the votes from those TWO States why she got more Popular Votes than The Donald and this is the REASON why Leftists aka Communists WANT to get rid of the Electoral College.

Um, yeah, when the places where people ACTUALLY live can't have a say in the election, that's kind of a big deal.

The electoral College has NEVER been a good idea. Forget about the fact that it puts in disasters like Bush and Trump (and Rutherford B. Hayes, who was kind of a fuckup.)

It goes against the concept of one-person, one vote.
It prevents third parties from forming.
It disenfranchises all but six states...
And at some point, when Texas turns blue, it's going to make it impossible for a Republican to win, ever.

This is madness.

This is madness.

Perot was a one-off and the hurdles in many states are even higher now because of his candidacy....The debates are now closed to anyone but (R) & (D) because of him.

I worked in the trenches, while you're spitballing on a message board....You have next to zero chance of getting any new third party on enough ballots to do anything.

The debates are another roadblock. They usually won't let third parties in unless they get over a certain percentage in "the polls". Polls which usually exclude third parties. Yes, it's really that stupid.

Has nothing to do with left/right, dullard....Rohm and Strasser were seen as political liabilities.....That's how purges work.

Actually, it had EVERYTHING to do with right/left. The NSDAP started out as a radical socialist party, but it was "National Socialism" as opposed to other socialist movements that were internationalist. However, when the big German Corporations and the Military wanted to use Hitler as their tool, he had to get rid of the guys who took that socialism stuff seriously. So Strasser and Roehm got purged.

OMG, they wanted Hitler to be their tool. Hitler? Have you ever seen a history book? They controlled Hitler? You're a fucking drooling mental ward patient loose in public. Turn yourself in

This is madness.

They've allowed their party to be run over with marxist communist idiots and then tell us we need a third party. Yeah, that's exactly right. They need to purge their own depraved idiots and there are a lot of them.
The republicans are just as bad as the Dems.

Two parties and by your own admission, you see as equally as bad and which of the two will you vote for?

The German war machine was still a centrally managed economy. It relied on the force of government guns to drive the economy.

Crony Capitalism is a form of SOCIALISM. It's still centrally managed.

The German people weren't going to the store and buying tanks instead of bread. Didn't happen

Okay, buddy, I realize you live in a world of Libertarian Unicorns... but centrally managed economies are a fact of life in the modern world.

Crony Capitalism is not "socialism". The fact that big corporations were all for fascism and were it's biggest supporters. It's why Hitler and Mussolini were given such a free hand prior to 1939... big Corporations loved them.

Ford built factories in Germany, and IBM helped develop the first data systems that the nazis used to organize the holocaust.

Funny thing, the Nazis are gone, but the Corporations are still with us. How fucked up is that?

Actually Hillary ONLY got the Popular Vote via TWO States California and New York, it was the votes from those TWO States why she got more Popular Votes than The Donald and this is the REASON why Leftists aka Communists WANT to get rid of the Electoral College.

Um, yeah, when the places where people ACTUALLY live can't have a say in the election, that's kind of a big deal.

The electoral College has NEVER been a good idea. Forget about the fact that it puts in disasters like Bush and Trump (and Rutherford B. Hayes, who was kind of a fuckup.)

It goes against the concept of one-person, one vote.
It prevents third parties from forming.
It disenfranchises all but six states...
And at some point, when Texas turns blue, it's going to make it impossible for a Republican to win, ever.

The electoral college has almost no bearing on third parties forming, or succeeding. The electoral college is a great idea, and I hope we can hang on to it. It encourages both parties to appeal to a broad demographic, rather than just focusing on the areas where they have the most support already. Democrats just have a hard time absorbing that fact.

Forum List

Back