7 Replies to Politely Shut Down Negative People

emilynghiem

Constitutionalist / Universalist
Jan 21, 2010
National Freedmen's Town District
7 Perfect Replies to (Politely) Shut Down Negative People

I thought THIS was cool and effective advice to share. By Aja Frost, who writes:

"Here are the seven responses I use with people who always seem to have something negative to say.

1. “I’m sorry to hear that. Did anything good come out of the situation?”
This response shows empathy while redirecting the person’s thoughts in a more upbeat direction. If he or she says, “No, nothing!” then you can frown sympathetically and change the subject.

Do note that you definitely don’t want to be the one to point out a specific silver lining. If you do, it can put the other person on the defensive, making him or her feel obligated to prove why the situation is still sucky (despite the apparent bright side).

2. “Wow, that sucks. But I’m pretty impressed with how positive you’ve managed to stay about the whole thing.”
In the same way that telling people that they’re really hard workers motivates them to work harder and live up to that reputation, commenting on someone’s “impressive” fortitude incentivizes them to be less negative.

3. “Ooh. How do you typically handle that?”
Asking about coping strategies will automatically put people in problem-solving mode. And since no one wants to say, “I don’t know how to handle this,” you’re almost guaranteed to get a positive response.

4. “If only [name] had the experience/wisdom/work ethic that you did!”
When colleagues are venting to me about others, this line not only flatters, but encourages them to acknowledge where the other person’s coming from. The combination of perspective and flattery usually goes a long way.

5. “Please, correct me if I’m wrong, but it sounds like you’re upset because...”
Some people just won’t let it go until you’ve heard them out. For these folks, I’ll just repeat their main grievances back to them. This lets them feel heard, but since I’m not adding anything new, they eventually run out of steam.

6. “Oh gosh. Well, I’m sure you’d rather talk about something happier. What else is new in your world?”
With this reply, you force the other person to move on to a less gloomy topic. After all, what else can he or she say: ”No, I actually don’t want to talk about something happier?”

7. “Is there anything I can do?”
While you shouldn’t offer to step in unless you can actually follow through, most of the time, the venter won’t take you up on your offer. Instead, he or she will usually say, “No, that’s okay,” or, “I don’t think there’s anything you can do,” at which point you can reply, “Definitely let me know!” and then transition to something else.

Dealing with negative people is no one’s idea of a good time. But now, you don’t have to walk away quickly when you see them in the kitchen or at a networking party—you can stroll right up and start talking with the knowledge that if they start venting, you’ve got seven options for combatting their pessimism."
=====================

More power to everyone here. If you run into obstacles, seek ways to resolve objections and conflicts so that's more leverage and experience you have to deal with recurring or related issues. Very empowering to address conflicts and challenges as an opportunity to turn problems into winning solutions and rebuild good faith relations.

Thank you, Emily. You certainly have a more upbeat attitude and positive work ethic than many here, including me, at times.

How gay. Just tell them to go fuck themselves.
How gay to be so gay. :lol:

You don't get it, do you Iceweasel
That ***is*** what the effect is of saying these things, it shuts down the chaos right there.

Thanks JakeStarkey for your positive reply and compliment.
It's better to find someone like this writer who says it best.
So I don't "overexplain" it in 500,000 words or more, blah blah blah....

Much easier to point to examples that anyone can follow.
Well, maybe not Iceweasel!

da weasel is just bein' the weasel

some folks you just gotta ignore or make fun of and iceweasel is the poster weasel for it

That ***is*** what the effect is of saying these things, it shuts down the chaos right there.

Thanks JakeStarkey for your positive reply.
So I don't "overexplain" it in 500,000 words or more.

No, an effeminate response could very well encourage some asshole to continue to go off. Like 'did anything good come out of the situation? hell no, nothing good came of it, how could it...blah blah blah.

See how that works? Fuck off ends it, what's he going to say? You fuck off? Brevity is the soul of wit.

Negative people are their own worst enemies.

I think they are the punishment for other negative people.
Where positive attracts positive
and negative attracts negative.

There is a learning curve in there somewhere,
so given the underlying fact people WANT to avoid pain and suffering
and WANT to have peace of mind and satisfaction, eventually the positive wins out.

da weasel is just bein' the weasel

some folks you just gotta ignore or make fun of and iceweasel is the poster weasel for it

Well, some people do respond to sarcasm and saying things in a biting way that sticks,
for some reason. To each their own. If you need your head bitten off with a big FU,
if that's the only thing that will work, then you will get that from someone, I'm sure.

Clearly this author was talking about people who will go on and on even more
if you "as a nice person" try to cut them off or fight in a way that merely emboldens them more.

Maybe with a total jerk, they would not even go there at all, so Iceweasel has a point. My bf uses the "don't even start with me" attitude and that works to nip it in the bud for him.

For nice people who are chosen as easy targets, this other method might work for that personality type.

No, an effeminate response could very well encourage some asshole to continue to go off. Like 'did anything good come out of the situation? hell no, nothing good came of it, how could it...blah blah blah.

See how that works? Fuck off ends it, what's he going to say? You fuck off? Brevity is the soul of wit.

Saying FU could also end your job if this is your boss that holds you hostage as a captive audience at work.
Someone else posted this list on linkedin, and people added other good lines such as
"I'm sorry, you caught me at a bad time." and cutting it off that way. That might be more "safe for work" than FU.

Saying FU could also end your job if this is your boss that holds you hostage as a captive audience at work.
Someone else posted this list on linkedin, and people added other good lines such as
"I'm sorry, you caught me at a bad time." and cutting it off that way. That might be more "safe for work" than FU.
I work for myself so the boss will cut me a lot of slack. You didn't say work, so how about "Why don't you go back to work, that's what you're being payed for"?

I work for myself so the boss will cut me a lot of slack. You didn't say work, so how about "Why don't you go back to work, that's what you're being payed for"?

That's VERY good, Iceweasel Excellent!!!
speaking of..bye bye I need to go to my night job...

7 Perfect Replies to (Politely) Shut Down Negative People

I thought THIS was cool and effective advice to share. By Aja Frost, who writes:

"Here are the seven responses I use with people who always seem to have something negative to say.

1. “I’m sorry to hear that. Did anything good come out of the situation?”
This response shows empathy while redirecting the person’s thoughts in a more upbeat direction. If he or she says, “No, nothing!” then you can frown sympathetically and change the subject.

Do note that you definitely don’t want to be the one to point out a specific silver lining. If you do, it can put the other person on the defensive, making him or her feel obligated to prove why the situation is still sucky (despite the apparent bright side).

2. “Wow, that sucks. But I’m pretty impressed with how positive you’ve managed to stay about the whole thing.”
In the same way that telling people that they’re really hard workers motivates them to work harder and live up to that reputation, commenting on someone’s “impressive” fortitude incentivizes them to be less negative.

3. “Ooh. How do you typically handle that?”
Asking about coping strategies will automatically put people in problem-solving mode. And since no one wants to say, “I don’t know how to handle this,” you’re almost guaranteed to get a positive response.

4. “If only [name] had the experience/wisdom/work ethic that you did!”
When colleagues are venting to me about others, this line not only flatters, but encourages them to acknowledge where the other person’s coming from. The combination of perspective and flattery usually goes a long way.

5. “Please, correct me if I’m wrong, but it sounds like you’re upset because...”
Some people just won’t let it go until you’ve heard them out. For these folks, I’ll just repeat their main grievances back to them. This lets them feel heard, but since I’m not adding anything new, they eventually run out of steam.

6. “Oh gosh. Well, I’m sure you’d rather talk about something happier. What else is new in your world?”
With this reply, you force the other person to move on to a less gloomy topic. After all, what else can he or she say: ”No, I actually don’t want to talk about something happier?”

7. “Is there anything I can do?”
While you shouldn’t offer to step in unless you can actually follow through, most of the time, the venter won’t take you up on your offer. Instead, he or she will usually say, “No, that’s okay,” or, “I don’t think there’s anything you can do,” at which point you can reply, “Definitely let me know!” and then transition to something else.

Dealing with negative people is no one’s idea of a good time. But now, you don’t have to walk away quickly when you see them in the kitchen or at a networking party—you can stroll right up and start talking with the knowledge that if they start venting, you’ve got seven options for combatting their pessimism."
=====================

More power to everyone here. If you run into obstacles, seek ways to resolve objections and conflicts so that's more leverage and experience you have to deal with recurring or related issues. Very empowering to address conflicts and challenges as an opportunity to turn problems into winning solutions and rebuild good faith relations.

I'm a very argumentative person, been this way all my life...my supervisor gave me the best advice ever and it stuck.....when you want to shut somebody down....end it all by saying...'you know, you may be right"..works every time....but never will I concede those words here, because I'm always right!! But great lines, none the less kid.

I agree with you most generally Emily although some things have there moments. Situation, an older couple we knew where the man was always running down the lady who worked for us. The man retired generally drove her to work as she did not even have a drivers license until she was sixty. Also she needed a pickup so we purchased a pickup for her. He insisted that it not be an automactic so I bought a stick. We went up to check on them after a few weeks and I asked her if she had been driving her new pickup. She said "No". I asked her why, "She told me she did not know how to drive a stick". If I had been thinking better I would have known that was his reasoning ofr insisting on a stick an bought an automactic but I didn't. I told her after hearing she had not driven her new pickup, "Come on lets go get an icecream". We went and got icecream cones, I drove her to a vacant parking lot and got out and had her get into the drivers side. She practiced driving her pickup and shifting with the clutch. It took several hours and by the time we got back to her house she was pretty efficient at driving it. Her husband was pricky when we walked through the door about "where have you been for so long?" Her response to him was a shock to all of us when she told him something like this, 'I don't wanna here your shit. I sent you out for pudding one time and did not see you for three f'ing days'. From that day forward his demeanor changed towards her as she gained some personal independance. One can try to be polite but it does not always get the job done.

Forum List

Back