85 year old woman dragged into lake by 11ft gator

I swear every damn body of water bigger than a kid's play pool in Florida has a goddamned gator in it!!
This is true; my daughter used to live there and they were always calling Alligator Control. They come and fish the gators out of swimming pools and so on. They're so fast! They eat a lot of older women and little dogs in Florida.

This video seems to be a decent one:

That is a serious rope.

Houston and Gulf Coast Texas are not Florida, but its not unusual for gators to be in golf course water hazards, drainage bayous, etc. I had a gator eat a golf ball on the green once, and when I was kid we were crawdadding and a gator pulled our net out of my hand.

Inversely my Louisiana relatives actively hunted gators.

That is a serious rope.

Houston and Gulf Coast Texas are not Florida, but its not unusual for gators to be in golf course water hazards, drainage bayous, etc. I had a gator eat a golf ball on the green once, and when I was kid we were crawdadding and a gator pulled our net out of my hand.

Inversely my Louisiana relatives actively hunted gators.
Swam with them growing up in Clearwater, though only about 6 footers. Quick sand is more terrifying.

Swam with them growing up in Clearwater, though only about 6 footers. Quick sand is more terrifying.
LOL, Never had the pleasure. I grew up in the desert SW and we made a habit of avoiding rattlers, gila monsters and scorpions. Now I live in the NW and I avoid cougars, bear, lynx, badgers, wolves and wolverines. We have an agreement, they stay in their habitat and I stay in mine. If they infringe, they become wall hangings.

LOL, Never had the pleasure. I grew up in the desert SW and we made a habit of avoiding rattlers, gila monsters and scorpions. Now I live in the NW and I avoid cougars, bear, lynx, badgers, wolves and wolverines. We have an agreement, they stay in their habitat and I stay in mine. If they infringe, they become wall hangings.
Was reminded about being a "greenhorn" in 2006 walking across Skalkaho Pass, Montana with no gun. What some say is the most dangerous animal in North America: female moose with young.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one having problems with wild animals all the time. Ours are smaller than any of those, but coyotes, raccoon, foxes, and possums all look surprisingly large when I open the back door and they're on the porch! We had a bear here once, but it was young. Himself thought it was a very strange, thick dog moving through the orchard. Wasn't.

None of which makes this incident any less horrific.

No, more so because it could have been so easily avoided by literally everyone involved. Worse, the dumb bitch watching it all from a few feet away and filming it knowing there was a "classic fixture" of an alligator living in these alligator-infested waters didn't have the sense to even yell over to stay away from the water or to look out and get away from the gator clearly coming from 20 feet away, and the community leaders apparently having neither the brains to put up signs, or a woman apparently having lived many years in Florida without the common sense or knowledge to have known that alligators actually inhabit southern Florida. Incredible.

When I first moved to Florida, a long term resident told me.
To assume that every body of water has a gator in it. ... :thup:
Yes, people in neighborhoods releasing their aquarium pets added to the problem.
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one having problems with wild animals all the time. Ours are smaller than any of those, but coyotes, raccoon, foxes, and possums all look surprisingly large when I open the back door and they're on the porch! We had a bear here once, but it was young. Himself thought it was a very strange, thick dog moving through the orchard. Wasn't.
Coons for rabies, possums are apparently immune but may be carriers..

No, more so because it could have been so easily avoided by literally everyone involved. Worse, the dumb bitch watching it all from a few feet away and filming it knowing there was a "classic fixture" of an alligator living in these alligator-infested waters didn't have the sense to even yell over to stay away from the water or to look out and get away from the gator clearly coming from 20 feet away, and the community leaders apparently having neither the brains to put up signs, or a woman apparently having lived many years in Florida without the common sense or knowledge to have known that alligators actually inhabit southern Florida. Incredible.
It doesn't seem that she was a Cracker.

Yes, people in neighborhoods releasing their aquarium pets added to the problem.

Coons for rabies, possums are apparently immune but may be carriers..
Yeah, I have a thread in General Discussion on a bad rabies situation several days ago, and it was a raccoon. It vanished after the first sighting (and aggressive, screaming charge!) --- we tried to trap it but it apparently left the area.

I imagine the woman lived her life in a city far from alligators She just had no awareness of the danger from alligators

I've never been to Florida nor spent one day there yet I know. This woman lived there, moved there, 85 years of living and learning and still didn't know? No one in Florida told her about gators? Her friend living right there taking the video didn't know? Never mind could see it coming from out in the middle of the lake. The people who own the property who should have had signs up or maybe even a ten foot cordon around the lake didn't know either?

What a shame that the innocent gator who has every right to be there had to pay the price for everyone else's stupidity.

Nature politics.

Forum List

Back