85 year old woman dragged into lake by 11ft gator

About the only thing we DON'T have tright here is skunks ---- we used to, I don't know what happened to them!

But that's all right, that is okay. :oops:
Skunk, Bloomington, Indiana. Hissed and came at its human target. Rabies.

I don't know about that. That alligator could've come up out of the water no matter how much farther back the woman could've been
No. The gator saw her right at waters edge and that was the main attraction for his coming at her. Had she stayed back 8-10 feet, he likely wouldn't have tried, knowing he lost his element of surprise.

Could an 85 year old person out run it?
In her case obviously not, just ANOTHER reason why it was so foolish for her to go right up to the water's edge in a lake KNOWN to have gators. Then on top of that, she didn't even bother checking her surroundings. Like a fool, she stood there staring far down the lake at something. Not once did she ever check her surroundings despiting having to have known that gators were in there or COULD be in there.

Another thing to consider is whatever feelings she had for her pet. If she had tried to run, she would've wanted to make sure that her pet was not left there to fend for itself.
I'm pretty sure that dog's first instinct would be to run like hell. Actually, any good dog would have seen the gator in the water and barked warning the owner. Not only didn't the dog bark even after seeing it nearing water's edge, it ran around the woman still not barking, using her as its shield. Screw that dog.

Last edited:
I agree that the woman was careless
Who can say they have never been careless?

Bad timing to be careless walking carelessly along the very edge of a lake with gators when you can hardly walk who can jump out and eat you. Even more careless to have a friend there not tell you to stay back from the water's edge. Super careless for facilities there not to teach people, tell and warn them and put up signs.

Imagine living to 85 only to eaten by an alligator near your home. It doesn't get more fucked up than this.

Bad timing to be careless walking carelessly along the very edge of a lake with gators when you can hardly walk who can jump out and eat you. Even more careless to have a friend there not tell you to stay back from the water's edge. Super careless for facilities there not to teach people, tell and warn them and put up signs.
Ok

I can tell that you have never done anything stupid

The DNR is stupid and slothful for allowing potential rogues, potential killers, to wander freely around. Radio tracking is one way to protect neighborhoods with lakes.

Vet employees first. DNR monitors of these systems should not have a cannabis habit to support (sloth; watching the world go by as if it was a cartoon), other drugs, alcohol etc.

Local "Loch Ness" clubs could be established to reinforce radio tracking.

I can tell that you have never done anything stupid

No, instead, I learn from my mistakes not to risk my life unnecessarily doing stupid ass stuff like going out of my way oblivious where I can get eaten by a crock and not even bother checking the area occasionally, especially while walking my gator food dog right up to the very edge of the water attracting them.

About the only thing we DON'T have tright here is skunks ---- we used to, I don't know what happened to them!
I grew up the southwest part of the U.S. and skunks were very common, People knew they carried rabies, so don't fool around and get bit doing something stupid.
Years ago I lived and worked in the north east part of the country.
Seemed like every week in the spring and summer, there was a news story about a rabid Fox going nuts chasing people in their yard and trying to bite them.

No, instead, I learn from my mistakes not to risk my life unnecessarily doing stupid ass stuff like going out of my way oblivious where I can get eaten by a crock and not even bother checking the area occasionally, especially while walking my gator food dog right up to the very edge of the water attracting them.
since you tell us you learn from your mistakes then you cant claim that you never make mistakes

So you are no better than the woman

Only luckier - so far

Actually, any good dog would have seen the gator in the water and barked warning the owner. Not only didn't the dog bark even after seeing it nearing water's edge, it ran around the woman still not barking, using her as its shield. Screw that dog.
Just figured the dog was a pampered indoor house pet the rarely went outside except for short walks with granny and never developed the natural canine instincts of fear and danger.

Last edited:
Florida retirement neighborhoods should not automatically have to include fending off predators that kill. A 3'- 6' gator is just a kid and hasn't learned the ways of an older rogue. These should also be radio-tagged because they can take a chihuahua in a single gulp.

What a horrible way to go!o_O

One can only hope she didn't suffer much! poor woman!

Last edited:

Heartbreaking for the family. Walking her dog. The 911 call is heartbreaking.

I don't know why "people walk them lil bitty dogs near the lake' either. A big ole gator needs a great daNish or a good size Bernard sammich so he can sleep for 10 or so days.
Lesson ? : Bigger dawgs !

since you tell us you learn from your mistakes then you cant claim that you never make mistakes
Never did. Just said I learn from them not to make bigger, stupid, fatal ones.

So you are no better than the woman
Much better. I'm not fool enough to walk along the water's edge with dog bait by a lake with a gator in it so big the neighbors have given it a pet name.

Lesson #1: Always try to be as aware of your surroundings as possible!

I just figured the dog was a pampered indoor house pet the rarely went outside except for short walks with granny and never developed the natural canine instincts of fear and danger.
Henry was apparently an accepted long-term resident. This acceptance failed to keep an eye on "Nessie." The film crew would have had nothing to videotape if the woman had had an alligator radio-tracking app up and running on her cellphone that hung around her neck.

Why shouldn't the software include DNR's local list of tagged animals within a five-mile radius? Why shouldn't the DNR get off its ass and do this with all American 'coons and 'possums? If the signal comes into range of the cellphone app, an alert is issued. duh

What a horrible way to go!o_O
One can only hope she didn't suffer much! poor woman!

Sadly, there are no good or easy ways to get taken by a gator. Her leg bone was likely crushed by the bite, massive blood loss, then dragged into the water where she drowned quickly or if she had it in her to struggle, then the gators usually shake or tumble you until you are motionless. Which is what angers me how totally unnecessary and avoidable the whole thing was.

Forum List

Back