A Brief Lesson on Tariffs

Can someone start by telling me how it is good for America to have huge trade deficits? Why is that desirable to the left?
cause they don't care about american jobs. they prefer allowing illegals to take em. I mean that is rhetorical.

Earlier this year Trump announced a big ol' MAGA tariff on solar panels imported from China. This was great news for the U.S. solar industry, who later announced $1 billion in investment and job hires! However, this was bad news for the U.S. solar industry, who later announced $2.5 billion in investment and jobs losses. Thank you for joining me, in today's brief lesson on tariffs. :11_2_1043:

Billions in U.S. solar projects shelved after Trump panel tariff

My daughter has a $300mm solar business
They have had lower sales but says 500 American workers lost their jobs

Earlier this year Trump announced a big ol' MAGA tariff on solar panels imported from China. This was great news for the U.S. solar industry, who later announced $1 billion in investment and job hires! However, this was bad news for the U.S. solar industry, who later announced $2.5 billion in investment and jobs losses. Thank you for joining me, in today's brief lesson on tariffs. :11_2_1043:

This is so silly and sad. Wanna try to sell U.S.-made solar panels and technology in China? Guess what you'll pay to do so? You see, why is it that it's bad for us to do the same thing that China and many other nations have been doing for decades, namely, protecting their industries with tariffs?

Now, if the free traders don't succeed in overturning this tariff, the U.S. market will adjust to the tariff rates and our solar-panel industry will be just fine.

Here's a lesson in tariffs for you: We became an industrial and economic powerhouse behind the protection of high tariffs for decades. In fact, from the 1850s until the 1960s, the Republican Party was the champion of protective tariffs. Such notable Republicans as Abrham Lincoln, Ulysses Grant, Rutherford B. Hayes, William Howard Taft, Calvin Coolidge, and Robert Taft ("Mr. Republican" in the 1940s and 50s) supported protective tariffs.

Alli remember is after WWII we had 50% of the worlds production.
No. Longer folks
And 70 % of a companies costs are wages and benefits.
Guess what they do

You are supposed to be giving an example of when that has ever worked. Do you not have one?

You realize when he tariffs it is a tax on us right? We are paying the tariffs.

Were tariffs ever tried before? Yes. Have they been tried with meaning, and punch? I don't think so.

Yes, I do realize that products with tariffs cost more. I'm fine with that, I prefer American anyways. It will cost more for some time, until it's replaced with domestic product.

You do realize that tariffs are exact reason we can't sell our product overseas, right? They don't buy our product because it cost them more. What do they buy? Hmmm... let me think... domestic?
So you live in fantasy land and don't have a single example of your claim, making it FALSE.

Tariffs have been tried in every way possible. To claim they haven't is just foolish. They have been around for a VERY long time. Every time it leads to less jobs!

And you realize with increased cost to steel all the products we manufacture using steel will cost more? That will make our products less competitive on the world market and exports will go down. Jobs will be lost and we will be paying more.

The tariffs are obviously working for others, since they're not buying our products.

When you say "every time leads to less jobs" how about you give an example of, that is directly associated with tariffs.

And why is China offering to buy additional $80 bill of our products if steel and aluminum tariffs are not working?

They aren't buying from us because we don't have extremely cheap labor. You can't honestly think it is all about tariffs? That is funny.

Gladly:
Lessons from the 2002 Bush Steel Tariffs - Tax Foundation

The effects of higher steel prices, largely a result of the steel tariffs, led to a loss of nearly 200,000 jobs in the steel-consuming sector, a loss larger than the total employment of 187,500 in the steel-producing sector at the time. The study warns:

In making policy for the revitalization of manufacturing, including the steel industry, our conclusions suggest that the effects across the full industrial spectrum should be considered. The lessons of the impact of higher steel costs should counsel a good deal of caution when import barriers are considered.

Once again spin master read your own link, it created high paying steel manufacturing jobs .
It lost 200,000 jobs!

You are supposed to be giving an example of when that has ever worked. Do you not have one?

Were tariffs ever tried before? Yes. Have they been tried with meaning, and punch? I don't think so.

Yes, I do realize that products with tariffs cost more. I'm fine with that, I prefer American anyways. It will cost more for some time, until it's replaced with domestic product.

You do realize that tariffs are exact reason we can't sell our product overseas, right? They don't buy our product because it cost them more. What do they buy? Hmmm... let me think... domestic?
So you live in fantasy land and don't have a single example of your claim, making it FALSE.

Tariffs have been tried in every way possible. To claim they haven't is just foolish. They have been around for a VERY long time. Every time it leads to less jobs!

And you realize with increased cost to steel all the products we manufacture using steel will cost more? That will make our products less competitive on the world market and exports will go down. Jobs will be lost and we will be paying more.

The tariffs are obviously working for others, since they're not buying our products.

When you say "every time leads to less jobs" how about you give an example of, that is directly associated with tariffs.

And why is China offering to buy additional $80 bill of our products if steel and aluminum tariffs are not working?

They aren't buying from us because we don't have extremely cheap labor. You can't honestly think it is all about tariffs? That is funny.

Gladly:

The effects of higher steel prices, largely a result of the steel tariffs, led to a loss of nearly 200,000 jobs in the steel-consuming sector, a loss larger than the total employment of 187,500 in the steel-producing sector at the time. The study warns:

In making policy for the revitalization of manufacturing, including the steel industry, our conclusions suggest that the effects across the full industrial spectrum should be considered. The lessons of the impact of higher steel costs should counsel a good deal of caution when import barriers are considered.

Can you explain what this means?

"They aren't buying from us because we don't have extremely cheap labor."
Are you that simple? They have really low labor costs, so their products are really cheap. Notice where China is:

cmp_2013_chart_1.jpeg

Gladly:

Once again spin master read your own link, it created high paying steel manufacturing jobs .
It lost 200,000 jobs!

Low paying ones..

/——/ Great questions. Libs will rate it Funny and move on.

That's what they've been doing, while offering nothing in return.
Not sure who you are calling libs, but obviously I showed you how our last steel tariffs cost us 200,000 jobs.

Gladly:

It lost 200,000 jobs!

Low paying ones..
Manufacturing jobs. Why do you think steel jobs would pay more than the manufacturing jobs lost?

Not sure who you are calling libs, but obviously I showed you how our last steel tariffs cost us 200,000 jobs.
And off-shoring cost us how many jobs?

You tell me. What is your point?

Obviously you were upset when all of these jobs were eliminated.
The jobs will come back but it won’t happen in 2 weeks.

Obviously you were upset when all of these jobs were eliminated.
The jobs will come back but it won’t happen in 2 weeks.

BULL - F'N - CHITE.

He hates solar power to begin with, and would rather help his political allies, even if it raises gas prices in the U.S.
Trump Iran sanctions just gave Saudi Arabia and Russia more clout in the oil market, so watch for higher prices

Why the hell are solar panels manufactured abroad? The dirty little secret is that solar panels are so toxic to manufacture that "green" companies import them and get to pretend that they are friends of the environment.

Gladly:

Can you explain what this means?

"They aren't buying from us because we don't have extremely cheap labor."
Are you that simple? They have really low labor costs, so their products are really cheap. Notice where China is:

cmp_2013_chart_1.jpeg

What that has to do with what you said? Every answer you give is pure crap.

You said: "They aren't buying from us because we don't have extremely cheap labor."

We're not selling them labor, we sell the product. If you're saying our product is more expensive because our labor cost more, than why they put tariffs if our product can't sell regardless?

That's where you wrong, since our product, even with "higher" cost of labor (according to your chart, that's not true), is still competitive on their markets. Germany, along with most of Western Europe has higher manufacturing labor cost, and they can afford to buy our product, so why don't they?

Tariffs. They're protecting their manufacturing so we don't sell. Until Trump that was OK, well it's not anymore, since he's leveling the playing field and treating them the same way they're treating us.

Gladly:

It lost 200,000 jobs!

Low paying ones..
Manufacturing jobs. Why do you think steel jobs would pay more than the manufacturing jobs lost?

Prove it.

He hates solar power to begin with, and would rather help his political allies, even if it raises gas prices in the U.S.
Trump Iran sanctions just gave Saudi Arabia and Russia more clout in the oil market, so watch for higher prices

Uhm The only way to save the planet is to have high gas prices ..buy a damn electric car.

Forum List

Back