A census worker showed up at my door today

Crepitus said......
Where would you get such a crazy idea? Are you stupid? Mentally disabled?
The census worker wants to know are you white, black , hispanic, asian, native American, whatever the alaskan natives call themselves this week, or whatever.
It's not that hard to understand.

So you're saying that for all the government forced diversity.......
The government needs to know exactly what races have thrived and which have not, and exactly where those races live?

This government obsession with race should raise an alarm. The federal government DEMANDS we be blind to race. Why isn't it?

On a side note....I noticed that most on the Right oppose government intrusion while most on the Left demand it.

It's not Trump, it's all the people who work in the government who are still loyal to Obama and the Democrats. They have already tried to overthrow Trump twice and now they've started a violent rebellion to overthrow Trump.

I do not trust such people with my personal information.

I recall most census takers are temps, hired this year just for the census.

NOBODY comes to my place without prior arrangements. I had 2 of the Yeehas idiots show up one day....I asked if the gate was open ? They said "No we crawled under the wire" I put both dogs on them with a catch command. NOT kill command. 10 years back. I guess I'm blac...err tint listed by the Yeehawz.
You are so full of shit your eyes are brown.

"American" is not an ethnicity unless you are a Native American. The census worker wants to know are you white, black , hispanic, asian, native American, whatever the alaskan natives call themselves this week, or whatever.

It's not that hard to understand.

I disagree. I believe American IS an Ethnicity. At least for those of us who believe in what this country was supposed to be.

Either way, the question is neither legitimate not relevant in terms of the Census. I would rather not be counted in the Census than to acquiesce to such questioning.

When they ask such questions, it's to create statistics, not hurt you personally. I think it's interesting what the makeup of our country is, ethnic background, religion and so forth. It also gives politicians an idea who they need to cater to in order to win elections.

When they ask such questions, it's to create statistics, not hurt you personally. I think it's interesting what the makeup of our country is, ethnic background, religion and so forth. It also gives politicians an idea who they need to cater to in order to win elections.

I’m not as curious as you are. I don’t care about the ethnic, racial, gender, religious, etc... breakdown of the population. I AM concerned about citizenship status, cultural identity, and national loyalty... none of which are asked.

IF they come back and IF they catch me outside again, they will not get a pleasant response.

I’m not as curious as you are. I don’t care about the ethnic, racial, gender, religious, etc... breakdown of the population. I AM concerned about citizenship status, cultural identity, and national loyalty... none of which are asked.

IF they come back and IF they catch me outside again, they will not get a pleasant response.

So those you deem lacking in "national loyalty" shouldn't be counted? Fuck that - The constitution says if they LIVE here, they should be counted.

Why would they want to come back to see you again? I imagine once was enough Grumpy Old Bastard. :D

get-off-my-lawn.jpg

You should have been a responsible citizen and filled it out online instead of making minimum wage workers come to your damn door.

Yes, but then those minimum wage workers would have no wage if they weren't needed.

Some truth to that I guess Ray. Here in Oregon, we can't pump our own gas. This can be mildly irritating if the pump jockey takes forever to get to ya and then get BACK to ya long after your tank is full. But it does reduce unemployment.

You should have been a responsible citizen and filled it out online instead of making minimum wage workers come to your damn door.

Yes, but then those minimum wage workers would have no wage if they weren't needed.

Some truth to that I guess Ray. Here in Oregon, we can't pump our own gas. This can be mildly irritating if the pump jockey takes forever to get to ya and then get BACK to ya long after your tank is full. But it does reduce unemployment.

Is it an option for gas stations or law? If it's law, I'm against it. If it's company policy, I'm okay with it. I'm told the same thing is in New Jersey. Nobody pumps their own gas.

Here, there are no full service stations anywhere. The only place that has full service is some truck fueling stations like Penske. I used to love going there for that reason. If we had full service islands for gas, I would use them too.

I don't use self-checkouts at the stores either because if we all did that, more people would be out of work. I don't mind paying a little more to keep another American on the job.

Is it an option for gas stations or law? If it's law, I'm against it. If it's company policy, I'm okay with it. I'm told the same thing is in New Jersey. Nobody pumps their own gas.

Here, there are no full service stations anywhere. The only place that has full service is some truck fueling stations like Penske. I used to love going there for that reason. If we had full service islands for gas, I would use them too.

I don't use self-checkouts at the stores either because if we all did that, more people would be out of work. I don't mind paying a little more to keep another American on the job.

It's state law, which I really don't see a problem with. But here's an interesting tidbit. Due to COVID, Oregon is now an optional state and it's up to the owner whether he keeps guys working. Apparently they're having a tough job in Jersey keeping them on the job. But I fill up a couple times a month and haven't noticed any self pump stations.

As for self check out at grocery stores, I do it if I have 3-4 items and the lines checkout lines are long. Full shopping list with produce and such? Hell no, takes forever to look stuff up!

So those you deem lacking in "national loyalty" shouldn't be counted? Fuck that - The constitution says if they LIVE here, they should be counted.

Why would they want to come back to see you again? I imagine once was enough Grumpy Old Bastard. :D

I don’t believe those people should be allowed to remain here... at least not above ground.

The only reason for them to come back would be if the guy who was here the other day didn’t get the info or if someone is really convinced they want the extended data.

State law...like Jersey, the state of Oregon thinks its citizens are too stupid to operate a gas pump.

Before she asked me anything, I said: "One person, that's the only question I'm going to answer."

Then I closed the door in her face.

I realize, now, that I distrust the government to the point that I do not want to tell them anything about myself except that I exist.

Had I told them I'm a white middle-aged male with a middle class income the government would have used the information against me.
Information is power----------and yes the Census has huge databases where it collects and gives/sells information that isn't meant to help us out but it helps out the rich and politicians and the IRS.

State law...like Jersey, the state of Oregon thinks its citizens are too stupid to operate a gas pump.

I don't think it's quite that. There have been very few problems in all other states where people pump their own gas. I think it is designed to keep people working, although I don't agree with the state forcing companies to hire unnecessary people.

It's state law, which I really don't see a problem with. But here's an interesting tidbit. Due to COVID, Oregon is now an optional state and it's up to the owner whether he keeps guys working. Apparently they're having a tough job in Jersey keeping them on the job. But I fill up a couple times a month and haven't noticed any self pump stations.

As for self check out at grocery stores, I do it if I have 3-4 items and the lines checkout lines are long. Full shopping list with produce and such? Hell no, takes forever to look stuff up!

Grocery stores deliberately have long checkout lines to try and pressure you into using self-serve. I don't care if I only have a few items. They are not going to get me to participate in their schemes.

Years ago when self-serve gasoline started, independent gas stations found it more profitable to have people pump their own gas while their mechanics continued to repair cars. To encourage their participation, they opened up one self-serve island with cheaper per gallon price.

Before you knew it, the self-serve pump had people waiting so they could save money, and the stations opened up another island, and then another. Then all pumps were self-serve due to consumer demand.

As time went by, major companies got rid of their garages because they made a much better profit by converting to convenient stores than they did with auto repair. However the same theory still applied. They do better by having their employees servicing customers in the store than pumping gas.

For whatever strange reason, we Americans are obsessed with saving money on certain products, one of them being gasoline. If station managers in your state did the same thing, and that is lower the price per gallon for self-serve, it would spread like a California wildfire.

Grocery stores deliberately have long checkout lines to try and pressure you into using self-serve. I don't care if I only have a few items. They are not going to get me to participate in their schemes.

Years ago when self-serve gasoline started, independent gas stations found it more profitable to have people pump their own gas while their mechanics continued to repair cars. To encourage their participation, they opened up one self-serve island with cheaper per gallon price.

Before you knew it, the self-serve pump had people waiting so they could save money, and the stations opened up another island, and then another. Then all pumps were self-serve due to consumer demand.

As time went by, major companies got rid of their garages because they made a much better profit by converting to convenient stores than they did with auto repair. However the same theory still applied. They do better by having their employees servicing customers in the store than pumping gas.

For whatever strange reason, we Americans are obsessed with saving money on certain products, one of them being gasoline. If station managers in your state did the same thing, and that is lower the price per gallon for self-serve, it would spread like a California wildfire.

Ray, are you a trucker? - I saw this last night on a 60 Minutes from a couple weeks ago.
I sell services to international big rig manufacturers -
Wouldn't affect me so much, but a serious threat to truck drivers it would seem to me.

*Sorry about the commercials but you can skip many - Couldn't find on YouTube

Ray, are you a trucker? - I saw this last night on a 60 Minutes from a couple weeks ago.
I sell services to international big rig manufacturers -
Wouldn't affect me so much, but a serious threat to truck drivers it would seem to me.

*Sorry about the commercials but you can skip many - Couldn't find on YouTube

I've been aware of autonomous trucks for the last couple of years. I'm retired now so it won't effect me unless I happen to be around one in my car. You still need a licensed driver with the truck, so jobs won't be a threat at least in the near future.

They are using those trucks on highways and have been for a short time. But these things will not be able to do city driving for a long time. That's where the licensed driver comes to play.

IMO, it's a bad idea. It's more than just operating the truck, it's predicting bad situations before they happen, like when I see an asshole driving around me. I need to take special precautions because of the chance he's going to do something stupid next to or in front of me. This is especially true with bikers. It seems we have more assholes driving motorcycles today than ever before.

You need to know the sound of that truck, the smell, and watch your gauges for potential problems that only a human can handle. A personal example off the top of my head:

Years ago I was on a heavily traveled highway (I-77) in a construction zone. It was one lane both directions. I thought I heard a hissing sound, looked at my air gauge, and I was losing air pressure. When a truck loses pressure, it applies the breaks and stops the vehicle.

There was nobody in front of me, so to help keep the pressure up, I hit the accelerator and went as fast as I could. I kept losing air. I finally made it out of the construction zone where I pulled off the side of the road, and was just about out of air. I barely made it.

A computer would not do that. Computers don't do logic. It would run out of air, and when the alarm went off, stop wherever it was at which would have shut that highway down until a mechanic got out there to replace the brake chamber.

I don't think it's quite that. There have been very few problems in all other states where people pump their own gas. I think it is designed to keep people working, although I don't agree with the state forcing companies to hire unnecessary people.
Thinly-veiled welfare for stoned high school dropouts.

You might as well cooperate with the census taker. They already know everything and you don't want them to stamp "uncooperative" on your file.

Forum List

Back