A clear reason why we need closed Primaries

you made it clear yesterday you dont believe in them,,

No, you have come to that conclusion to defend your desire to silence your fellow citizens.

It just shows how daft you really are.

I have a feeling you are somewhere on the spectrum.

Wasn't part of the spending telling Dems to switch over in races they knew they had a leading candidate?

You said the article in the OP clearly showed DEMs voted in the GOP primary, it did not. It showed the DEMs spent money to promote the GOP far right candidate.

Spending Money =/= DEMs actually voting. That is an assumption.

Not saying some DEMs didn't vote, just saying the OP article isn't making that claim.

WW

There wasn't access to the information the average voter has today back then, so really only the well off had time and access to know about national issues and such.

That is why they devolved as much power as possible to the State, and the States subsequently to their local government divisions to let the people being affected be the ones to vote on things.

We have reversed this process, where everyone wants their views passed at the highest level to apply to the most people possible.
It is certainly true that States were relatively more sovereign in those days before the Civil War and the rise of national corporations, industry, transport, media, etc. etc. But with the exception of slaves I think average Americans were quite well informed in revolutionary times. The level of political discussion and literacy was quite high — remember there was a revolutionary war fought throughout the colonies — and the Federalist Papers and Thomas Paine’s pamphlets both show that in different ways.

Mostly I think it isn’t just that “we have reversed” the extreme state’s rights policies of the past, but that there was a more or less organic change that occurred (with some terrible bumps in the road) that led to present U.S. global power.

You said the article in the OP clearly showed DEMs voted in the GOP primary, it did not. It showed the DEMs spent money to promote the GOP far right candidate.

Spending Money =/= DEMs actually voting. That is an assumption.

Not saying some DEMs didn't vote, just saying the OP article isn't making that claim.

WW

I stand corrected.

I also Stand by my belief primaries need to be closed.

Advertising across lines is something you can't stop in a 1st amendment society.

It is certainly true that States were relatively more sovereign in those days before the Civil War and the rise of national corporations, industry, transport, media, etc. etc. But with the exception of slaves I think average Americans were quite well informed in revolutionary times. The level of political discussion and literacy was quite high — remember there was a revolutionary war fought throughout the colonies — and the Federalist Papers and Thomas Paine’s pamphlets both show that in different ways.

Mostly I think it isn’t just that “we have reversed” the extreme state’s rights policies of the past, but that there was a more or less organic change that occurred (with some terrible bumps in the road) that led to present U.S. global power.

But did they care that their rules in Virginia, or more locally Richmond had to apply to say Wheeling or even Alabama?

I stand corrected.

I also Stand by my belief primaries need to be closed.

Advertising across lines is something you can't stop in a 1st amendment society.

Good show.

As I said previously, I agree that primaries should be closed. 6 Months? A little long for me. I'd cut it off at 90 days to either register or switch party affiliation.

WW

That's all right, the GOP elected a dead brothel owner (<<-- yes the man ran a whorehouse for a living) in 2018.

WW
No, that doesnt make it "alright"
What kind of hacked out shit is that? "its ok because the other side is just as stupid"
Grow up.

so mingling is a death sentence,, does that apply to the jan 6th people and antifa too???

1. Not on american soil.

2. Associating and working with was probably a better word for me to use.

3. They were admitted fighters for a group fighting against US forces in a war zone.

Forum List

Back