A day in the life of Net Neutrality

how do you not understand this?

I understand it perfectly.

without net neutrality if you have verizon as your provider, they can dictate what information you're able to receive.

Utter bullshit - you demagogues are reduced to petty lies to push your government takeover.

The argument is that backbone providers can offer "fast lane" service to content providers such as NetFlix for a fee.

Like most leftists - you promote this because it expands the size and scope of government and you hold the axiom that more government is good, total government is perfect. But you have no fucking clue what the issue at hand is - even the most adamant promoters don't claim censorship by ISP's. If Verizon censored content, I would simply drop them and turn to one of a thousand other ISP's in the area. The first issue is that you don't know what an ISP is, or what a backbone provider is. We literally have an ISP in the Norwalk area named "Joe's Wireless Internet." ISP's are all over the place, everything from the big operators to little shops who bought a wide-pipe and sell of excess bandwidth.

Net Neutrality claims that they need to invoke laws from the 1930's to regulate backbone providers and that it will have no impact on actual ISP's - which I think ranks right up with "if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor." Either way, the claim is that this is aimed at the backbone, to ensure that NetFlix can consume all the bandwidth they like and never pay a dime for it. (Anyone think the editors at "Wired" have NetFlix stock?)

You morons run about claiming "if you like the well water pure, then you better let us pour poison in it, if you don't let us poison the well, then the water won't be pure.'

I give you kudos for telling such an outrageous whopper that some are thrown off by the brazen chutzpah of the whole thing.

if they set up their own social networking site, they can decide that facebook is no longer accessible to you. if they decide to endorse one streaming video service over another, you won't get to choose as the consumer which one you like.

And what if they did? Currently all I need to do is switch providers. Under Title II - the FCC can designate a monopoly the way they did with Ma Bell for 60 years, but without the changes you demand, I can simply go to one of the other thousand ISP's around.

and yet you somehow believe that leaving these choices in the hands of internet providers means more freedom for you. it's idiocy, an that makes you an idiot.

ISP's will behave or lose customers. The FCC has no customers and seeks only raw power - as all government does.

how do you not understand this?

I understand it perfectly.

without net neutrality if you have verizon as your provider, they can dictate what information you're able to receive.

Utter bullshit - you demagogues are reduced to petty lies to push your government takeover.

The argument is that backbone providers can offer "fast lane" service to content providers such as NetFlix for a fee.

Like most leftists - you promote this because it expands the size and scope of government and you hold the axiom that more government is good, total government is perfect. But you have no fucking clue what the issue at hand is - even the most adamant promoters don't claim censorship by ISP's. If Verizon censored content, I would simply drop them and turn to one of a thousand other ISP's in the area. The first issue is that you don't know what an ISP is, or what a backbone provider is. We literally have an ISP in the Norwalk area named "Joe's Wireless Internet." ISP's are all over the place, everything from the big operators to little shops who bought a wide-pipe and sell of excess bandwidth.

Net Neutrality claims that they need to invoke laws from the 1930's to regulate backbone providers and that it will have no impact on actual ISP's - which I think ranks right up with "if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor." Either way, the claim is that this is aimed at the backbone, to ensure that NetFlix can consume all the bandwidth they like and never pay a dime for it. (Anyone think the editors at "Wired" have NetFlix stock?)

You morons run about claiming "if you like the well water pure, then you better let us pour poison in it, if you don't let us poison the well, then the water won't be pure.'

I give you kudos for telling such an outrageous whopper that some are thrown off by the brazen chutzpah of the whole thing.

if they set up their own social networking site, they can decide that facebook is no longer accessible to you. if they decide to endorse one streaming video service over another, you won't get to choose as the consumer which one you like.

And what if they did? Currently all I need to do is switch providers. Under Title II - the FCC can designate a monopoly the way they did with Ma Bell for 60 years, but without the changes you demand, I can simply go to one of the other thousand ISP's around.

and yet you somehow believe that leaving these choices in the hands of internet providers means more freedom for you. it's idiocy, an that makes you an idiot.

ISP's will behave or lose customers. The FCC has no customers and seeks only raw power - as all government does.
you have a thousand isp's in your area? great. i have one.

Here's a handy little cartoon for you uncensored 2008, so you can begin to have some kind of clue about what net neutrality is:

Dear Senator Ted Cruz I m going to explain to you how Net Neutrality ACTUALLY works - The Oatmeal
12_15637820141118074133.jpg

You wake up early, you pick up your iPhone and check your VZ-Connect page, you got 7 VZ-Likes on the cat video you posted, you would have gotten more, but an FCC censor found it objectionable and removed it. Not for the first time, you find yourself yearning for the days of Facebook. But after Verizon was named the exclusive backbone carrier by the FCC, weeks after President Obama issued the Executive Order making the internet a Title II utility. Facebook held on for awhile, but the FCC revoked their netcasting license after repeated violations of the net neutrality seditious content rules. Verizon quickly replaced Facebook with VZ-Connect, which was monitored by FCC content custodians.

You need to send Aunt Martha a thank you note for the sweater she sent you for your birthday. So you log on to VZ-Banking to check your balance. Aunt Martha is half a country away and the long distance charges for an email to her will be in the hundreds of dollars. Your balance is low, but you keep the message down to just a few words to keep the costs down.

A pile of mail is in the corner and you dread your Verizon bill. Opening it you see the usual $200 base charge, along with TTY charges, Baseline services taxes to provide internet to families on assistance. The netuse tax has gone up again, now $73.42 for a month. The tax is needed to pay the FCC regulators. But what you really dread are the long distance charges, email in the same zip code is still free, but a per mile charge for email outside of the zip code adds up quickly.

You are tempted to log on to VZ-Chatter and post a complaint, but last time you complained about your Verizon bill you got a stern letter from an FCC guardian advising you that such complaints have no place on the internet.

On the bright side, hand written letters through postal mail have made a resurgence.

Obama is the year Zero, there was no American before him.

Free enterprise has collapsed the cost of communication down to a fraction of a penny a minute

More and more its clear our Progressives are the worst Government loving Nazi fucks who can't wait to be regulated 24/7

well i was right, the op literally has zero clue on the issue. Good job, you bought the lie as usual. Its amazing how stupid these people are that are against NN.

Well not really, most of them are the ones who think Obama is from Kenya

You wake up early, you pick up your iPhone and check your VZ-Connect page, you got 7 VZ-Likes on the cat video you posted, you would have gotten more, but an FCC censor found it objectionable and removed it.

This kind of bogus fearmongering helps the net neutrality cause, because you just dismissed yourself as a crackpot idiot.

[
you have a thousand isp's in your area? great. i have one.

Bullshit.

You simply don't know what an ISP is,

I have two.
Comcast which gives me cable internet and the dish which gives me dial up at the best case.

The reality is comcast owns this section of the world and thats just the way it is.
Take New york city. Certain buildings have contracts with certain companies to only support certain providers.
And no moving is not an option. Thats the lazy answer.

When i can move, im looking for google fiber, and saying goodbye to these assholes.

Sometimes I seriously think that if Obama came out against suicide, RWNJs like Eunuch2008 would immediately kill themselves.

Technology is going to make "net neutrality" a moot issue.

Forum List

Back