"A free thinker is Satan's slave"

There are very few, if any, communities in this country where 100% of the residents follow a single religion. The fact that so much concern is raised by conservatives (however unrealistic it is) about Sharia law shows that when the shoe is on the other foot, they're able to understand the concept. The First Amendment prohibition against establishment of religion is intended to protect the rights of minorities within a community. The government MAY NOT, in any way, endorse any religion -- that includes the one that is followed by the majority of its citizens -- because such endorsement implicitly and inevitably puts other faiths not so endorsed into a second-class status.

If a town with a majority-Muslim population were to conform its laws to Sharia, or even to display quotations from the Quran on public buildings in a manner seeming to provide official endorsement of Islam, Christians and other non-Muslims would have grounds to complain. The only way to guarantee freedom of religion in any society is to keep church and state completely separate.

Yes, the difference between you and me...

I don't think the minority should be able to oppress the majority. So if you are in a community of Muslims, and they have funded a brand new Public Library, and they want to paper the walls with the koran, I could give a shit.

Because our constitution grants us the right to publicly proclaim our beliefs and not be punished for them. In any situation.

I'll add to the above, that I was once confronted with precisely this issue in regard to my own religion. There was a town in Georgia, I forget which one, that had a lot of Pagans living in it, and the town enacted an ordinance proclaiming an "Earth Religion Day." Christians living there protested.

Although I was a non-resident, I entered into the discussion because I felt an important principle was involved. I pointed out that for a local government to endorse Pagan religion was just as unconstitutional and just as wrong as if it were to endorse any other faith. The Christians protesting the action were absolutely in the right.

Religion and government must be kept separate. That doesn't just mean your religion, and it doesn't just mean their religion, it means my religion, too.

No, religion and government must not be kept separate.

Government cannot be allowed to dictate religion.

That's a totally different thing, and what you promote. You want the government to tell us when, where and how we may worship.

So fuck off.

The answer is the same as it has been every single time (at least once a day) this idiotic hypothetical comes up...

Neither I, nor any other, Christian or conservative would care if those things were displayed on government buildings provided they reflect the community in which they reside.

I don't care if I go to a Muslim community, say a tiny little town that they've established a training camp in, and I go to the courthouse and there's a quotation from the Koran somewhere on the building.

I could care less if I go to a town in the sticks where there's a cell of pagans and there's something about the Mother (or whatever) on City Hall.

Makes no nevermind to me. So long as I have the same freedom in my community.

If fairness to you we shouldn't ask that question, because I didn't expect an honest answer out of you.

Which is why hypotheticals are a waste of time, dumbfuck. It's all pretend.

Thanks for your honesty, sweetheart.

And again, try to put aside the hate and have a great weekend, I really hope you do :).

No, religion and government must not be kept separate.

Government cannot be allowed to dictate religion.

That's a totally different thing, and what you promote. You want the government to tell us when, where and how we may worship.

So fuck off.

Actually, if government cannot be allowed to dictate religion, then they MUST be kept separate to keep one religion or the other from turning this country into a theocracy.

Way to prove your ignorance yet again Kaiser Twit.

Wrong, but then you always are.

You use *keeping them separate* as code for eliminating freedom of religion.

Atheists are immoral just cuz they're atheist.

What a good little bigot you are, I'm e-patting you on the head right now.

Please explain to me what is moral about: Abortion, Homosexual marriage, Against 10 commandments visible in public places, Obscene art.

The cartoon says put god in public places. There's nothing moral about wanting gov't forced religion.

I'm not surprised you're in favor of gov't forcing your religious views on others. The last thing I'd want is gov't promoting my lack of belief in a god, I don't want gov't teaching ANY religious views, I prefer people have the freedom to do that themselves.

You avoided the question: what is moral about Abortion, Homosexual marriage, Against 10 commandments visible in public places, Obscene art?

I am not against wisdom being in public places. The 10 Commandments are wisdom. I am not offended at wise Jewish/Hindu/Buddahist/Confucius/ or other religious sayings. That is not "forcing" beliefs on others (otherwise that obscene art would be illegal for "forcing" views on others). Wisdom is not immoral. Do atheist have something against wisdom, now (it is claimed as part of the Lord in the Bible)?

Having God in public places isn't *force*.

So you fail. Again. Fail must be comfortable like an old pair of sweat pants by now.

Exactly and again I'm sure you aren't hypocritical on this view.

If our gov't buildings had "there is no god" on them, your view would be exactly the same and you'd be on here voicing approval of it and saying it isn't forcing atheists views on christians.

For that I'm certain!

Now proceed on with your , "we're a christian nation" rant.

Why don't you experiment? Get a community of athiest to use signs saying that you don't believe the Lord exists. Put it on your buildings (by the way, that is something you "don't" believe in, compared to something you do believe), along with other sayings you think are important. See how the community does. If the Lord does not exist, there should be no reason for crime to be higher, or your community to be less prosperous (blessed) than a Christian community. Atheists are into science, experiment. I dare you.

Actually Dr. Drock raised a good point with that hypothetical. If it really is innocuous and all for government buildings to display Christian thoughts, then it should be equally fine for them to display:

1) There is no God.
2) There is no God but Allah and Mohammed is His Messenger.
3) We all come from the Goddess, and to Her we shall return.

Those willing to endorse all three of these being presented to the public as Official Government Endorsements will gain some measure of credibility (although in fact all of them would violate the First Amendment, so they'd still be on shaky legal ground).

Experiment! Do all four communities: athiest/Christian (Judeo)/muslim(we know how those turn out)/goddess. Give them some time and check to see how they are doing.
How is the crime rate, comparatively speaking?
How prosperous is the community?
How many visitors return?
How many improvements are made on the community (parks, museums, etc)?

Just do it, quit telling Christians to stop being Christians and form your own communities, see how that works out for you.

There are very few, if any, communities in this country where 100% of the residents follow a single religion. The fact that so much concern is raised by conservatives (however unrealistic it is) about Sharia law shows that when the shoe is on the other foot, they're able to understand the concept. The First Amendment prohibition against establishment of religion is intended to protect the rights of minorities within a community. The government MAY NOT, in any way, endorse any religion -- that includes the one that is followed by the majority of its citizens -- because such endorsement implicitly and inevitably puts other faiths not so endorsed into a second-class status.

If a town with a majority-Muslim population were to conform its laws to Sharia, or even to display quotations from the Quran on public buildings in a manner seeming to provide official endorsement of Islam, Christians and other non-Muslims would have grounds to complain. The only way to guarantee freedom of religion in any society is to keep church and state completely separate.

Would that be because the murder rate would increase?

The great errors in Christianity arose and became dominant precisely because the separation of church and state was violated (as was routine in the ancient world). Prior to Constantine I becoming emperor and prior to the Council of Nicaea and the creation of the Imperial Church, no Christian subgroup had any power over any of the others, none could enforce orthodoxy or punish heresy, and those who pretended such authority had no state power at their disposal to make it stick. The potential, the attitudes, existed within the Christian community before this occurred, as they do in all religious groups, a kind of power-hungry poison that arises from something very primal in human nature, but without actual power behind it those elements could not prevail.

By creating a fusion between the Church and the Imperium, Constantine corrupted Christianity beyond recovery. Over the years after this lamentable event occurred, the power-hungry elements within the Church became dominant, religious dissidents were expelled (or even executed), and this tendency solidified into Christian doctrine as it exists today.

Now that the Church has been deprived of political power, the healing has begun, and many Christians have begun to free themselves from the authoritarian yoke. The flowering that occurred while Christianity was an illegal religion in the Roman Empire has to an extent recommenced. And so we can see that keeping political power out of the hands of religion is for religion's own good, not just government's. Power corrupts, and worldly power is not properly the concern of the spirit.

Prior to Constantine I becoming emperor and prior to the Council of Nicaea and the creation of the Imperial Church, no Christian subgroup had any power over any of the others, none could enforce orthodoxy or punish heresy...
"Orthodox Christianity" emerged, from a varied milieu, of myriad "interpretations" of Christianity, e.g. "Gnostics", specifically by declaring all of those "others" as "heretics", and expelling them from the "Orthodox" main-stream. Cp. Simon Magus, expelled by Simon Peter (Acts 8). "Orthodox" writers penned volumes "against heretics" from the first Apostles, e.g. Epistles of James, Jude. With more political power, came more flagrant Denunciations.

But those "Orthodox" who amazed the Romans, by their Willingness, to be made Martyrs, have been Animated by "Zeal for the Lord (in heaven)" the entire time. And, prima facie, "God (in heaven)" brooks no compromises, with mere mortals (on earth), save at the "sword point", of legions of plate-armor-clad centurions.

Actually Dr. Drock raised a good point with that hypothetical. If it really is innocuous and all for government buildings to display Christian thoughts, then it should be equally fine for them to display:

1) There is no God.

Those willing to endorse all three of these being presented to the public as Official Government Endorsements will gain some measure of credibility (although in fact all of them would violate the First Amendment, so they'd still be on shaky legal ground).

Experiment! Do all four communities: athiest/Christian (Judeo)/muslim(we know how those turn out)/goddess. Give them some time and check to see how they are doing.

Just do it, quit telling Christians to stop being Christians and form your own communities, see how that works out for you.

Look we get it, you think christians are superior to every other type of human solely because of their religious beliefs.

You don't have to repeat your bigotry over and over for people to get it. You've already made it blatantly obvious.

1) There is no God.

Look we get it, you think christians are superior to every other type of human solely because of their religious beliefs.

You don't have to repeat your bigotry over and over for people to get it. You've already made it blatantly obvious.

You are wrong. I laid out a scenario that you could use to prove that Christians do not have a better way to live life; a way to prove all the beliefs that you try to convince Christians are the "correct" way to view life. I hear it all the time about how superstitious, how backwards, how narrow-minded Christians are. Here is you opportunity to "scientifically" (because I also hear that Christians can't tolerate science) prove that living without the Bible as a guide will produce a community that is as pleasant as a Christian community. Personally, I don't see you or anyone else doing it, because if truth be told, the leftists/liberals/progressives/homosexual activists/islam extremists/environmentalists (choose one, they all act in a similar manner) need the Christians who are among the most industrious, to continue to pay taxes and donate their resources to those that mock them.

The great errors in Christianity arose and became dominant precisely because the separation of church and state was violated (as was routine in the ancient world). Prior to Constantine I becoming emperor and prior to the Council of Nicaea and the creation of the Imperial Church, no Christian subgroup had any power over any of the others, none could enforce orthodoxy or punish heresy, and those who pretended such authority had no state power at their disposal to make it stick. The potential, the attitudes, existed within the Christian community before this occurred, as they do in all religious groups, a kind of power-hungry poison that arises from something very primal in human nature, but without actual power behind it those elements could not prevail.

By creating a fusion between the Church and the Imperium, Constantine corrupted Christianity beyond recovery. Over the years after this lamentable event occurred, the power-hungry elements within the Church became dominant, religious dissidents were expelled (or even executed), and this tendency solidified into Christian doctrine as it exists today.

Now that the Church has been deprived of political power, the healing has begun, and many Christians have begun to free themselves from the authoritarian yoke. The flowering that occurred while Christianity was an illegal religion in the Roman Empire has to an extent recommenced. And so we can see that keeping political power out of the hands of religion is for religion's own good, not just government's. Power corrupts, and worldly power is not properly the concern of the spirit.

It's precisely the early Church's loss of authority to speak on behalf of God that required a Restoration of said authority. Which authority is exercised without the use of force.

1) There is no God.

How exactly is it bigotry to propose an experiment? And how is he or anyone else saying that a certain person is superior to anyone else?

The scriptures invite us to experiment on the Word. That is the only way we can know for ourselves whether the Word is good and leads to life or not.

You learn whether prayer is a correct principle by praying. You learn whether being kind is a correct principle by being kind. You learn whether tithing is a correct principle by paying tithes and offerings. You learn whether the scriptures are true through studying and applying their principles.

I can guarantee that anyone who has the faith to experiment on the Word will find out by the power of the Spirit, whether Life is in the Word or not.

You tell people "God loves you...we are all imperfect, but we can all be saved in spite of our imperfections and attain heaven.." but they hear "We are better than you".

That's the devil at work, pure and simple.

You tell people "God loves you...we are all imperfect, but we can all be saved in spite of our imperfections and attain heaven.." but they hear "We are better than you".

That's the devil at work, pure and simple.

No.

If god loves all, then you guys would leave us alone.
If we wanted to become religious, we would. But we don't and want to be left alone.

I don't see how it's "devil's work" when we have no intention to get involved or disrupt.

Forum List

Back