A lot of Atheist and agnostics just don't get it

100% wrong. You are reading these accounts with a desired outcome. How do you reconcile all the passages where the ancient Jews saw God as good and loving? You can’t.

Ok. I am going to say this one last time. If you can't understand it then there is little point in continuing. I DO NOT ACCEPT A THING JUST BECAUSE OTHERS ACCEPT IT.
I don’t accept anything just because someone said it. I test everything.

You are testing nothing which is just as wrong as blindly accepting everything.

Fine. Then I won't use the argument that all those other folks thought so. Do me the same courtesy.
There is nothing wrong with accepting knowledge on the authority of others as long as some effort is made to test the knowledge being shared.

I don’t really see you testing your beliefs. I see you confirming your biases.

This conversation began with me simply stating that the title of the thread was true for me. I really just didn't get it. I was asked why and I explained myself. Since then, there seems to be some importance in showing me the error of my ways. You all could have just said "ok" to my statement and that would have been the end of it. Now it is my fault because I am allowing my biases to prevent me from seeing that you are right.

Here's the thing, Ding. You have never asked me what my beliefs are. You have only been concerned with your own so we have only talked about your own.
And my involvement started with your comment that God can’t be good.

Is that your belief?

Ok. I am going to say this one last time. If you can't understand it then there is little point in continuing. I DO NOT ACCEPT A THING JUST BECAUSE OTHERS ACCEPT IT.

Fine. Then I won't use the argument that all those other folks thought so. Do me the same courtesy.
There is nothing wrong with accepting knowledge on the authority of others as long as some effort is made to test the knowledge being shared.

This conversation began with me simply stating that the title of the thread was true for me. I really just didn't get it. I was asked why and I explained myself. Since then, there seems to be some importance in showing me the error of my ways. You all could have just said "ok" to my statement and that would have been the end of it. Now it is my fault because I am allowing my biases to prevent me from seeing that you are right.

Here's the thing, Ding. You have never asked me what my beliefs are. You have only been concerned with your own so we have only talked about your own.

Is that your belief?

howabout defending the christian religion's history of persecution and victimization of the innocent - your false 4th century political document disguised as a religion.

instead of hiding behind the skirt of the Almighty. and pathological liars.

Is that your belief?

No. I never said God can't be good. I said that God in the Bible does not act good. And he doesn't. My belief is that the Bible was written by priests whose job it was to gets seats in pews and thus keep the money flowing in. So God is portrayed as this overbearing father figure who will be nice if you do what you are told but get real testy if you don't.

Personally, I consider God to be irrelevant. Either you live your life by a moral code or you do not. That is all that matters.

Is that your belief?

howabout defending the christian religion's history of persecution and victimization of the innocent - your false 4th century political document disguised as a religion.

Religion does not persecute. People do that. Persecution happens because people aren't particularly nice. It was going on before Christianity and it will continue to go on after Christianity.

All of them. I'm not saying you won't find people who act in accordance with those teachings, but as a society we ignore them.
We must move in different circles. Or, it could be that you run across us at the times we fail. I am for the beatitudes--sometimes I hit the mark, and sometimes I fail. Seek the will of the Father...don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing...forgive others. I run into so many good people every day I cannot help but see Christ (or the spark of the divine) within.

My belief is that the Bible was written by priests whose job it was to gets seats in pews and thus keep the money flowing in.
Way too cynical. Many churches gather talents in (yes, money is included) so that they may be poured forth to those in need. We gather to worship God and to love others in very practical ways.

Personally, I consider God to be irrelevant. Either you live your life by a moral code or you do not. That is all that matters.
Love. Even moral code is barren without love. That is why God is truly relevant.

You can know from your own experiences that fear and love are intertwined.
What a stupid comment. No, I cant get that from my experiences. No, i have never, not ever, been in a relationship with a vain, vengeful,evil sky spirit that demanded my fealty and worship at the threat of eternal suffering. Nor would i ever be so stupid as to desire and invent such a delusion, as you have.

All of them. I'm not saying you won't find people who act in accordance with those teachings, but as a society we ignore them.
We must move in different circles. Or, it could be that you run across us at the times we fail. I am for the beatitudes--sometimes I hit the mark, and sometimes I fail. Seek the will of the Father...don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing...forgive others. I run into so many good people every day I cannot help but see Christ (or the spark of the divine) within.

I have already said there are individuals, just not as a society. For example, what do you think Jesus' position might be as to our nuclear arsenal and all that it implies?

My belief is that the Bible was written by priests whose job it was to gets seats in pews and thus keep the money flowing in.
Way too cynical. Many churches gather talents in (yes, money is included) so that they may be poured forth to those in need. We gather to worship God and to love others in very practical ways.

Not cynical at all. Just recognition of human nature.

It seems even people who agree there is a God can't agree on what that even means. There lies the problem with trying to point to things around us and just calling it proof. We can't even say what it is it is proof of.

What a stupid comment. No, I cant get that from my experiences. No, i have never, not ever, been in a relationship with a vain, vengeful,evil sky spirit that demanded my fealty and worship at the threat of eternal suffering. Nor would i ever be so stupid as to desire and invent such a delusion, as you have.
You fear because you love.

Thank you, shaman. And you fear because you enjoy fearing and enjoy being a slave. Like a good codependent does.

Thank you, shaman. And you fear because you enjoy fearing and enjoy being a slave. Like a good codependent does.
You aren’t capable of having an honest discussion because your hatred consumes you.

Is that your belief?

Religion does not persecute. People do that. Persecution happens because people aren't particularly nice. It was going on before Christianity and it will continue to go on after Christianity.

think again on the first ... your reactionary rhetoric is nothing new.

the difference being christians are conducting themselves surreptitiously by portraying themselves as representing the events of the 1st century and the religion of antiquity they in fact abandoned to write a revisionist accounting as a political persuasion disguised as a religion, the 4th century christian bible ...

Is that your belief?

think again on the first ... your reactionary rhetoric is nothing new.

the difference being christians are conducting themselves surreptitiously by portraying themselves as representing the events of the 1st century and the religion of antiquity they in fact abandoned to write a revisionist accounting as a political persuasion disguised as a religion, the 4th century christian bible ...
You mean representing themselves as sinners? Yep. Guilty as charged.

Forum List

Back