🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Alabama Voters Pass Amendment to Display Ten Commandments at Public Schools

Displaying a historical object or text is not indoctrination.

It's called education.

Perhaps instead of pulling out 3rd graders from class to go protest guns, teachers can instead teach them a little about a document that is the most read and famous in all of human history.
If you folks are going to go so far as to put up monuments to the Christian faith on state property and outside of schools, you have to be fought. It is not alright to foist your religion on others. I keep telling ya and telling ya. Tend to yourself and leave the rest of us alone, please. Put your monuments in front of your church or on your front lawn, but the government should be mute on the subject.

So then government should not be paying for religious holidays, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter and so on, they are religious holidays. No Christmas trees on government property.
Okay. If that's the way you want to be about it, go for it. Thanksgiving isn't a religious holiday, btw and Easter is on Sunday, when the government isn't working, anyway, but you could ban Christmas if it makes you feel better, Ebeneezer.

You said you want separation, you either want it or you don’t. Thanksgiving is a religious US holiday, it is steeped in Christianity.. Government employees get paid for Easter. Make up your mind, religion or not. The Christmas tree is a Christian religious symbol, therefore it is a violation of church and state, paying employees for a Christian holiday is a violation of church and state, be consistent.
You're just full of it, Papa. Thanksgiving religious....lol. Jesus didn't have a Christmas tree, either, in the manger.
I'm not sure how respecting an employee's religious holidays (since not just Christian ones are allowed) is "sponsorship" of a particular religion. It sure doesn't equate to putting up monuments to the 10 commandments in the front yard. But hey, since you're calling Thanksgiving a religious holiday, I guess anything goes with you.

It's called education.

Perhaps instead of pulling out 3rd graders from class to go protest guns, teachers can instead teach them a little about a document that is the most read and famous in all of human history.
If you folks are going to go so far as to put up monuments to the Christian faith on state property and outside of schools, you have to be fought. It is not alright to foist your religion on others. I keep telling ya and telling ya. Tend to yourself and leave the rest of us alone, please. Put your monuments in front of your church or on your front lawn, but the government should be mute on the subject.

So then government should not be paying for religious holidays, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter and so on, they are religious holidays. No Christmas trees on government property.
Okay. If that's the way you want to be about it, go for it. Thanksgiving isn't a religious holiday, btw and Easter is on Sunday, when the government isn't working, anyway, but you could ban Christmas if it makes you feel better, Ebeneezer.

You said you want separation, you either want it or you don’t. Thanksgiving is a religious US holiday, it is steeped in Christianity.. Government employees get paid for Easter. Make up your mind, religion or not. The Christmas tree is a Christian religious symbol, therefore it is a violation of church and state, paying employees for a Christian holiday is a violation of church and state, be consistent.
You're just full of it, Papa. Thanksgiving religious....lol. Jesus didn't have a Christmas tree, either, in the manger.
I'm not sure how respecting an employee's religious holidays (since not just Christian ones are allowed) is "sponsorship" of a particular religion. It sure doesn't equate to putting up monuments to the 10 commandments in the front yard. But hey, since you're calling Thanksgiving a religious holiday, I guess anything goes with you.

Abraham Lincoln made Thanksgiving a National Holiday. This is what he said: "Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens," to be celebrated on the last Thursday in November. The Father was Abraham Lincoln’s God, who was a Christian.

Typical of democrats there is hypocrisy involved. Politicians have a Chaplain to say a prayer before sessions and enjoy Christmas decorations on federal property and even a gigantic Christmas tree. Meanwhile the ACLU threatens to sue small towns into the poor house if they dare to erect a Christmas tree on public property and a kid would get kicked out of school for the crime of carrying a Bible..
ikr....
Your examples are a little extreme, but it's true the feds do Christmas up right and then won't let anyone using federal funds. Figure it out.

Abraham Lincoln made Thanksgiving a National Holiday. This is what he said: "Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens," to be celebrated on the last Thursday in November. The Father was Abraham Lincoln’s God, who was a Christian.
Sweetie, if Thanksgiving were a Christian holiday, every other Christian nation would celebrate it. You need to give that one up. Presidents do a lot of praying from the podium, but it doesn't make them Moses.

Sweetie, if Thanksgiving were a Christian holiday, every other Christian nation would celebrate it. You need to give that one up. Presidents do a lot of praying from the podium, but it doesn't make them Moses.

Two articles that dispute what you say. The second article brings out when Washington first called for a day of thanks, he ran into a lot of issues, one being that it was a religious holiday and that the separation of church and state was violated.

Is Thanksgiving a Religious Holiday?- The Arlington Catholic Herald

This is why many Americans don't celebrate Thanksgiving Day

Believe what you need, however history is what I look at. And the very source of Thanksgiving is heavy in thanking God through prayer and supplication.

Today Thanksgiving is nothing but a four day weekend that has a huge advantage to the commercial sector of society, so is mostly secular.

Just as Christmas is steep in pagan worship that has nothing to do with
Jesus or his Father.

Lol religious nonsense
Separation of church and state. I guess if you cant count on people from Alabama not to marry their sisters they wouldnt understand that concept either.
The devil is a liar so, blow it out your ass!

Separation of church and state,
was solely a proclamation of freedom of religion...
there would be no official, established, state religion
But official representatives of the state government can now put up religious monuments on their grounds?
You don't think that makes the religion involved seem "official?"

As long as no religious monument is specifically excluded, how can that not be religious freedom?

Religious indoctrination.

You're no better than the Muslims you hate.

It's called education.

You said you want separation, you either you want it or you don’t. Thanksgiving is a religious US holiday, it is steeped in Christianity.. Government employees get paid for Easter. Make up your mind, religion or not. The Christmas tree is a Christian religious symbol, therefore it is a violation of church and state, paying employees for a Christian holiday is a violation of church and state, be consistent.

I'm sorry, but that is the dumbest thing you have ever posted!

Thanksgiving is NOT a Christian holiday and government employees do not get paid for Easter. I have worked for the government for almost 40 years, so I think I would know.

Where did you dig up those stupid ideas?

Lol religious nonsense
Separation of church and state. I guess if you cant count on people from Alabama not to marry their sisters they wouldnt understand that concept either.

Hey look at this bigotry toward Southerners, won't you? Oh, these open minded and tolerant liberals....

I am a southerner. I was also born & raised in Alabama.

Nobody is perfect. You also attended the University of Alabama. I guess you just didn't have the grades to get into Auburn! :D

The very thing judge Roy Moore was removed from office for.Good for you Alabama.The Godless commies will be along directly to get this amendment struck down.Just watch....They have judges on payroll in Hawaii to do just this!:)

In the Nov. 6 elections, residents of Alabma voted overwhelmingly to amend their state constitution to authorize the display of the Ten Commandments on public property, including public schools. The measure, Alabama Amendment 1, also defined certain religious liberty rights to be included in the state's constitution.

Read more at cnsnews.com ...
Isn't Alabama a Trump place? Who bares false witness more than Trump?
Hillary, Obama, most libs.

The very thing judge Roy Moore was removed from office for.Good for you Alabama.The Godless commies will be along directly to get this amendment struck down.Just watch....They have judges on payroll in Hawaii to do just this!:)

In the Nov. 6 elections, residents of Alabma voted overwhelmingly to amend their state constitution to authorize the display of the Ten Commandments on public property, including public schools. The measure, Alabama Amendment 1, also defined certain religious liberty rights to be included in the state's constitution.

Not quite. In fact, not even close to the truth.
Trump got 62.9% of the votes in Alabama and Hillary got 34.6% in 2016.
In the 2012 election, Romney got 61% of the vote in Alabama and Obama got 38%.
In the 2008 election, McCain won 60% of the vote in Alabama and Obama got 39%

You consider using Google before you post. Not only does it allow you to avoid showing you don't know, it helps you avoid showing you don't give a shit whether you are posting accurate info or bullshit.

You consider using Google before you post. Not only does it allow you to avoid showing you don't know, it helps you avoid showing you don't give a shit whether you are posting accurate info or bullshit.

I think he was responding to who lies more....

It's called education.

You said you want separation, you either you want it or you don’t. Thanksgiving is a religious US holiday, it is steeped in Christianity.. Government employees get paid for Easter. Make up your mind, religion or not. The Christmas tree is a Christian religious symbol, therefore it is a violation of church and state, paying employees for a Christian holiday is a violation of church and state, be consistent.

Thanksgiving is NOT a Christian holiday and government employees do not get paid for Easter. I have worked for the government for almost 40 years, so I think I would know.

I have done a lot of reading on this, o. Respectfully think you are wrong.

Oh, jeez. Most? lol Like volume matters when all of those high elected officials do it constantly?

Oh, jeez. Most? lol Like volume matters when all of those high elected officials do it constantly?

It seems to be a real problem doesn't it?

Oh sure. We're supposed to believe that BEFORE Trump, you loved people from Alabama, and Christians. Etc. You just grew a whole new personality when Trump came on the scene.

Sure you did. Sweetheart. Sure you did.
I tolerated them. I did not actively vote against their interests and celebrate their suffering, as you all have done for years when the ones hurt live in cities or vote Democrat. I do now.

I don't celebrate anyone's suffering. I don't call human beings trash either. I don't judge people based on which state they live in, or assume they married their sister because they live there.

But hey, honey, that's all you, now. A bigot. That's great.
I don’t care what you personally do, because you vote for and support those things you deny doing. So cry me a river, trash.

K so you pretended to be all the things Leftists always pretend to be: tolerant, inclusive and all the lies. But as soon as things didn't go your way, you turned 360 degrees and blame your turning on the objects of your hatred. It's not YOUR fault you have no principles. It's OUR fault.

Whatever. But don't also pretend we can't see what you've done, because we can. We can also call it what it is. A lot of things that are not admirable.
Sue, there is/was a fairly interesting discussion going on, but you're not in it. We didn't come here to listen to you rant and rave about Blackflag's failings.
If you think it is proper for Alabama government to erect monuments on its property to religious principles such as the Ten Commandments, how is that adhering to the separation of church and state? Or do you believe there should be no separation? Should a state be allowed to sponsor one religion over the others?

Do you realize "separation of church and state" is not Constitutional?

Do you think that if no one in the actual school districts in which these Ten Commandments has a problem with it, that it's a problem? I don't. Especially considering that it's simply a mounted plaque and not something anyone is forced to chant, say, pray, etc.

I tolerated them. I did not actively vote against their interests and celebrate their suffering, as you all have done for years when the ones hurt live in cities or vote Democrat. I do now.

I don't celebrate anyone's suffering. I don't call human beings trash either. I don't judge people based on which state they live in, or assume they married their sister because they live there.

But hey, honey, that's all you, now. A bigot. That's great.
I don’t care what you personally do, because you vote for and support those things you deny doing. So cry me a river, trash.

K so you pretended to be all the things Leftists always pretend to be: tolerant, inclusive and all the lies. But as soon as things didn't go your way, you turned 360 degrees and blame your turning on the objects of your hatred. It's not YOUR fault you have no principles. It's OUR fault.

Whatever. But don't also pretend we can't see what you've done, because we can. We can also call it what it is. A lot of things that are not admirable.
Sue, there is/was a fairly interesting discussion going on, but you're not in it. We didn't come here to listen to you rant and rave about Blackflag's failings.
If you think it is proper for Alabama government to erect monuments on its property to religious principles such as the Ten Commandments, how is that adhering to the separation of church and state? Or do you believe there should be no separation? Should a state be allowed to sponsor one religion over the others?

Do you realize "separation of church and state" is not Constitutional?

Do you think that if no one in the actual school districts in which these Ten Commandments has a problem with it, that it's a problem? I don't. Especially considering that it's simply a mounted plaque and not something anyone is forced to chant, say, pray, etc.

Bbbut plaques, monuments and statues are scary, might trigger some weak snowflake or gasp!!!! force someone to pray!!!!!

Well, what you are reading is wrong.

Reading the Communist Manifesto doesn't mean anything contained therein is true.

You might be closer to the target on Thanksgiving, but I have never attended a church service on Thanksgiving. Have you? I see no religious content in Thanksgiving at all, other than that some people say grace at dinner. Your claim is specious at best.

On the other, you are simply dead wrong, no doubt about it.

When I joined the Navy in the 70s, the day after Thanksgiving was not Black Friday, but a regular workday. I remember being surprised when I got that day off in 1984.

Easter has never been and probably never will be a federal holiday. I don't know where you got that idea, but it is dumber than a box of rocks!

Well, what you are reading is wrong.

Reading the Communist Manifesto doesn't mean anything contained therein is true.

You might be closer to the target on Thanksgiving, but I have never attended a church service on Thanksgiving. Have you? I see no religious content in Thanksgiving at all, other than that some people say grace at dinner. Your claim is specious at best.

On the other, you are simply dead wrong, no doubt about it.

When I joined the Navy in the 70s, the day after Thanksgiving was not Black Friday, but a regular workday. I remember being surprised when I got that day off in 1984.

Easter has never been and probably never will be a federal holiday. I don't know where you got that idea, but it is dumber than a box of rocks!

Yes, you are misinformed.

My post #147 has just two links and I have lots more on the subject.

Forum List

Back