Am I the only one who doesn't care if ALi died?

He's one of the greatest Americans. An icon. I'm sure the coverage will end in a day but they don't make em like that anymore. Great athelete and a great symbol of pride for blacks

The draft dodger, Cassius Clay who turned his back on his country.

Is that the great American you are talking about?

Turned his back on his country? For refusing to be drafted in a system that punished the poor, protected the rich, and treated people of his color like shit? Ali refused to go to a war we should never have been in and one in which the priority was good press and making the economy better. When your country helps hide klan murderers of children, allows restaurants to refuse you service, and treats you like a second class citizen, it takes a special sort of audacity to criticize someone for refusing to go kill people.
Yet, he didn't refuse to reap the benefits of being an American, did he?

You mean the benefits of being refused service at a lunch counter or seeing his people murdered for trying to register people to vote?
Yeah, the poor guy never reaped any benefits, did he? And if he hated his country so much, why didn't he just leave? He could have still become the world champion.

Yeah, the Vietnamese were a huge threat to our nation, weren't they?

The nation will be required to hand wring and agonize over Ali until the next black death. Ali put an end to the hand wringing and agonizing over Prince.

Turned his back on his country? For refusing to be drafted in a system that punished the poor, protected the rich, and treated people of his color like shit? Ali refused to go to a war we should never have been in and one in which the priority was good press and making the economy better. When your country helps hide klan murderers of children, allows restaurants to refuse you service, and treats you like a second class citizen, it takes a special sort of audacity to criticize someone for refusing to go kill people.

You mean the benefits of being refused service at a lunch counter or seeing his people murdered for trying to register people to vote?
Yeah, the poor guy never reaped any benefits, did he? And if he hated his country so much, why didn't he just leave? He could have still become the world champion.

You can take that up with Kennedy and Johnson.

You can take that up with Kennedy and Johnson.

No, I put it here for a reason.

Oh, and the US Supreme Court ruled in Ali's favor where his status as a conscientious objector was concerned. His application as a conscientious objector was denied for no apparent reason.

Oh, and the US Supreme Court ruled in Ali's favor where his status as a conscientious objector was concerned. His application as a conscientious objector was denied for no apparent reason.
Gee, you don't think they were under any pressure to let the black celebrity off the hook, especially when there were riots going on around the country? And you don't see an inconsistency with other conscientious objector claims being denied to just ordinary people?

The nation will be required to hand wring and agonize over Ali until the next black death. Ali put an end to the hand wringing and agonizing over Prince.

I was more saddened when Prince died because I liked his music. I'm not a fan of boxing though. You are right about SOME people acting . . . ridiculous about Prince's death. Give it a rest already.

To know who Ali was or what he represented to society, those whom he inspired and how he navigated the US in a very tumultuous time is not age sensitive it is more about how aware a person is and how interested a person how society has changed in recent history.

I am sad he was sick for a such a long time and sorry to see him go.

Not a big deal either way. Some get it some don't.

Gee, you don't think they were under any pressure to let the black celebrity off the hook, especially when there were riots going on around the country? And you don't see an inconsistency with other conscientious objector claims being denied to just ordinary people?

Really? You don't think it could have been that the feds dismissed his application without reason? That he was due the same status many others had used? And possibly, just possibly, it was rejected because he was black? Bear in mind, we are talking about 1966. Just one year after the church bombing in Birmingham that would see the perpetrators free until they were finally convicted in 2001?

Really? You don't think it could have been that the feds dismissed his application without reason? That he was due the same status many others had used? And possibly, just possibly, it was rejected because he was black? Bear in mind, we are talking about 1966. Just one year after the church bombing in Birmingham that would see the perpetrators free until they were finally convicted in 2001?
I don't know, and neither do you. I WAS around back then though and I DO remember that he was not able to make a credible case for being CO. The requirements were strict. Many people tried it and anyone who wasn't a clergy member or had a track record of peace activism was rejected. Ali had a tough time because of his profession. Kind of hard to make a case of being a peace loving CO when you make a living beating the shit out of people. THEIR standards, not mine.

I don't know, and neither do you. I WAS around back then though and I DO remember that he was not able to make a credible case for being CO. The requirements were strict. Many people tried it and anyone who wasn't a clergy member or had a track record of peace activism was rejected. Ali had a tough time because of his profession. Kind of hard to make a case of being a peace loving CO when you make a living beating the shit out of people. THEIR standards, not mine.

I was around back then. And I remember understanding the difference between punching a willing combatant in an athletic competition, and killing people for political reasons.

As the US Supreme Court ruled, the federal gov't failed to properly show why the rejected his application.

But, given the ruling from the highest court, he was a conscientious objector, not a draft dodger.

I was around back then. And I remember understanding the difference between punching a willing combatant in an athletic competition, and killing people for political reasons.
I just said "Their standards, not mine", didn't I?

As the US Supreme Court ruled, the federal gov't failed to properly show why the rejected his application.
Again, ordinary citizens were jailed for refusing to go after being ordered to. They didn't make it to the SC. Ali, being a black celebrity, may have had a few fans in high places to help him with a favorable outcome where others did not.

I was wondering why this is getting so much air time. I really don't want to spend a lot of time on this man's death. Sad but I would really like to go on with my life.
He's one of the greatest Americans. An icon. I'm sure the coverage will end in a day but they don't make em like that anymore. Great athelete and a great symbol of pride for blacks

I'm not a big fan of Ali........BUT.....

He wasn't a "draft dodger". He never dodged the draft; he opposed it, accepting the legal consequences without any attempt to evade them. He didn’t flee to Canada or enroll in college to obtain a deferment. From the moment he learned of his induction, Ali stood firmly in the proud tradition of civil disobedience, saying “just take me to jail". He faced down the government, held on to principle, spoke his mind, and never sold out a damn thing in spite of his incarceration. He didn’t run – he stayed and fought the establishment, even as the government tried to destroy him.

He earned his respect.

:thup:

Again, ordinary citizens were jailed for refusing to go after being ordered to. They didn't make it to the SC. Ali, being a black celebrity, may have had a few fans in high places to help him with a favorable outcome where others did not.

Yeah, that may be. Much like some of the college deferments or those who have doctor's notes about problems with their foot. If he felt strongly about not fighting the war, he would be a fool not to make use of such resources.

I was wondering why this is getting so much air time. I really don't want to spend a lot of time on this man's death. Sad but I would really like to go on with my life.
Hey, I'm on your side, grief is a required taste.....I personally plan to celebrate every time a white icon or conservative kicks the bucket, so do YOU!!

He wasn't a "draft dodger". He never dodged the draft; he opposed it, accepting the legal consequences without any attempt to evade them. He didn’t flee to Canada or enroll in college to obtain a deferment. From the moment he learned of his induction, Ali stood firmly in the proud tradition of civil disobedience, saying “just take me to jail". He faced down the government, held on to principle, spoke his mind, and never sold out a damn thing in spite of his incarceration. He didn’t run – he stayed and fought the establishment, even as the government tried to destroy him.

He earned his respect.

Bottom line is this, its either Ali for a few more days or Trump 24/7....I'll take Ali, cause I'm sick to death of racist stupid white people!!

Yeah, that may be. Much like some of the college deferments or those who have doctor's notes about problems with their foot. If he felt strongly about not fighting the war, he would be a fool not to make use of such resources.
Got some documented examples or are you just grasping at straws and throwing out red herrings?

He earned his respect.

Bottom line is this, its either Ali for a few more days or Trump 24/7....I'll take Ali, cause I'm sick to death of racist stupid white people!!
Not as sick as they are of racist stupid black people.

Actually, Ali took his case to the supreme court and won. Little georgie bush cried to his powerful dad and got a nice safe billet in the national guard.

Forum List

Back