Americans' Global Warming Concerns Continue to Drop

Its funny how everyone just feels that "they" admitted "it" yet no one with those feelings is able to provide and direct quotations of "they"

Oh, and BTW

I'm sorry, did you not see the LINK I provided to the supposedly "destroyed" data?

Tuba wants you to define admitted. By the by. Those crazy volcaneos are melting glaciers. Just which one of you started the volcaneos up? I mean that has to be man-made right?

Can you explain to me the mechanism by which volcanoes are melting glaciers? It can't be through heating the atmosphere, as sulfur dioxide emissions from volcanoes have a cooling effect (which is also one of the ironies in reducing human production to reduce acid rain). So there must be some other mechanism, but I am unaware of it. Can you enlighten?

Can you explain to me the mechanism by which volcanoes are melting glaciers?

Heat?

Can you be more specific? Do you mean the direct application of heat caused by lava? I am fairly certain that most examples of retreating glaciers aren't on active volcanoes. The Alps, for example, has no active volcanoes, yet all 115 sampled Swiss Alps glaciers are in retreat.

Heat?

Can you be more specific? Do you mean the direct application of heat caused by lava? I am fairly certain that most examples of retreating glaciers aren't on active volcanoes. The Alps, for example, has no active volcanoes, yet all 115 sampled Swiss Alps glaciers are in retreat.

GORE: It definitely is, and it's a relatively new one. People think about geothermal energy - when they think about it at all - in terms of the hot water bubbling up in some places, but two kilometers or so down in most places there are these incredibly hot rocks, 'cause the interior of the earth is extremely hot, several million degrees, and the crust of the earth is hot ...

GORE: It definitely is, and it's a relatively new one. People think about geothermal energy - when they think about it at all - in terms of the hot water bubbling up in some places, but two kilometers or so down in most places there are these incredibly hot rocks, 'cause the interior of the earth is extremely hot, several million degrees, and the crust of the earth is hot ...

I'm sorry, did you not see the LINK I provided to the supposedly "destroyed" data?

I understand that algore is not a scientist. Not sure what this has to do with my question.

Tuba wants you to define admitted. By the by. Those crazy volcaneos are melting glaciers. Just which one of you started the volcaneos up? I mean that has to be man-made right?

Can you explain to me the mechanism by which volcanoes are melting glaciers? It can't be through heating the atmosphere, as sulfur dioxide emissions from volcanoes have a cooling effect (which is also one of the ironies in reducing human production to reduce acid rain). So there must be some other mechanism, but I am unaware of it. Can you enlighten?

I can only enlighten those who can process the information. I'll assume you can.

Eyjafjallajökull - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The fissure is 500 metres long pointing northeast–southwest, with 10–12 erupting lava craters which spew around 1,000 °C (1,832 °F) hot lava up to 150 metres into the air. The lava is most likely alkaline and viscous so the motion of the lava stream to the west and east of the fissure is slow, so this is most likely an effusive eruption.[11] Geophysicist Magnús Tumi Einarsson said that this eruption is small compared to, for example, the eruption of Hekla in 2000, at a press meeting in Hvolsvöllur, South Iceland. The eruption, rather than taking place under the ice cap of the glacier, occurred in the mountain pass between the Eyjafjallajökull and Mýrdalsjökull glaciers. As long as the fissure is not near the glacier, the risk of flooding is minimal; however, the fissure could extend into the ice cap thereby greatly increasing the risk of flooding."

This is just one example of active volcanoes in the region.

The glacier in the crater of St. Helens volcano continues to grow, right next to the hot lava dome. You see, once the rock is cooled, it serves as a pretty good insulator. That particular glacier only gets sunlight during the longest days of summer, so it is one of the few in the US that is growing.

The only type of volcano that actualy warms the earth, are trapp volcanics. And there is none of that going on right now, thank goodness.

Heat?

In the Alps, Rockies, and Himalayas, the vast majority of glaciers are retreating, no volcanos in these ranges, other than the big one, of course. And it is not erupting at present.

Eyjafjallajökull

Ah I see. I thought you were making a general statement about glaciers melting world wide. Of course glaciers that are directly exposed to molten rock will melt. Sort of like saying that an ice cube will melt quickly when thrown into a furnace. Concepts like Jökulhlaup (I would have posted a URL but apparently I can't yet) are fascinating to me, but of course these things have nothing to do with climate change.

Eyjafjallajökull

Ah I see. I thought you were making a general statement about glaciers melting world wide. Of course glaciers that are directly exposed to molten rock will melt. Sort of like saying that an ice cube will melt quickly when thrown into a furnace. Concepts like Jökulhlaup (I would have posted a URL but apparently I can't yet) are fascinating to me, but of course these things have nothing to do with climate change.

You said it buddy. Yet folks like Old Rocks have no problem adding it to the total of glaciers melting on the planet. Thanks for making my point.

Eyjafjallajökull

You said it buddy. Yet folks like Old Rocks have no problem adding it to the total of glaciers melting on the planet. Thanks for making my point.

?

Eyjafjallajökull

I am pretty sure I made the opposite of your point. Yes, there are a few glaciers in the world that are being melted by these processes. However, most of the world's glaciers aren't subject to these more natural thermodynamic forces, and yet they are shrinking. Something else is causing glaciers to retreat in the absence of volcanic heating, and since it isn't a transfer of heat from the ground, we are left with a transfer of heat from the atmosphere.

Yet folks like Old Rocks have no problem adding it to the total of glaciers melting on the planet.
-------------------------------------

Seems you have no problem in saying none of the melting is due to GW. Before you say you didn't, you have to realize that by presenting it as evidence against AGW, you have. That's the deniers' problem. They can't show proof without attempting to mislead what the "proof" means.

Concerns about Global Warming are going to continue to drop as The People come to grips with how the taxes, job killing regulations, and expanded government control of ObamaCare are going to significantly lower their standards of living.

Yet folks like Old Rocks have no problem adding it to the total of glaciers melting on the planet.
-------------------------------------

Seems you have no problem in saying none of the melting is due to GW. Before you say you didn't, you have to realize that by presenting it as evidence against AGW, you have. That's the deniers' problem. They can't show proof without attempting to mislead what the "proof" means.

When you consider ALL ice caps, there is a net gain this last year. Sorry to bring a fact into your faith-based rant.

When you consider ALL ice caps, there is a net gain this last year.
------------------------------

Sure, there's been more snow this year. More snow doesn't disprove AGW. If temps increase from 20F to 25F, that's 5 degrees of warming, but it will still snow!

Forum List

Back