An Overly Politically Correct America

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
As most sports fans know, there is a controversy brewing between the Oneida Indian Nation and the Washington Redskins over their usage of the term "redskin" which the Indian Nation alleges to be a racial slur. The Washington Redskins have been in existence as a football club since 1932, for 81 years. The team had gone on with no major legal conflict with any Indian Nation until 1992.

That year Suzan Harjo, President of the Morning Star Institute, joined forces with other prominent Native Americans as well as the Dorsey & Whitney law firm of Minneapolis and petitioned the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. They based their lawsuit on the idea that federal trademark law states that certain trademarks are not legal if they are "disparaging, scandalous contemptuous, or disreputable." The legal battle went on for seven years and in 1999 the judges canceled the federal trademarks of the Redskin name "on the grounds that the subject marks may disparage Native Americans and may bring them into contempt or disrepute."

Ever since then there has been controversy over the team's name. The controversy has been further ignited by comments made by President Obama and Bob Costas, along with members of Congress sending a letter to the owner of the team , Dan Snyder urging him to change the name. As of now, Snyder has vehemently refused to change the name. Polls seem to back Snyder, with an AP/Gfk poll in May stating that 79 percent of respondents don't want the name changed. In the only poll available of Native Americans on the subject, done by the Annenberg Project in 2004, 91 percent of American Indians thought the name was acceptable.

The problem is this. The Redskins are a corporate entity, with all the constitutional rights that an individual has. It's name is an expression of it's own free speech, and as such I believe this overt political correctness is unduly mendacious in nature. If such name were offensive, I ask, wouldn't you need to systematically sue each sports team who uses an Indian in it's name or as a mascot? Isn't this a bit much? I am a Cherokee Indian on my father's side, and I have no qualms with the name.

This is an Overly Politically Correct America.

Last edited:
Snyder is an asshole and they need to change the name because it's racist.

Deal with it.

Conservatism- a never ending quest to justify douchebaggery.

So I gather free speech isn't part of your platform? How can a team go almost 60 years before anyone even THINKS of considering their name a racial slur?

It's free speech. Deal with it. I'm a Cherokee Indian, so I have more leverage here. Deal with it.

Liberals- a never ending quest to find racism in every nook and cranny of the known universe.

Deal with it.

So I gather free speech isn't part of your platform? How can a team go almost 60 years before anyone even THINKS of considering their name a racial slur?

It's free speech. Deal with it. I'm a Cherokee Indian, so I have more leverage here. Deal with it.

Liberals- a never ending quest to find racism in every nook and cranny of the known universe.

80 years ago, Native Americans were restricted to reservations, and were probably just happy enough they weren't going to get genocided again.

Redskin is a racist term.

As most sports fans know, there is a controversy brewing between the Oneida Indian Nation and the Washington Redskins over their usage of the term "redskin" which Indian Nation alleges to be a racial slur. The Washington Redskins have been in existence as a football club since 1932, for 81 years. The team had gone on with no major legal conflict with any Indian Nation until 1992.

That year Suzan Harjo, President of the Morning Star Institute, joined forces with other prominent Native Americans as well as the Dorsey & Whitney law firm of Minneapolis and petitioned the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. They based their lawsuit on the idea that federal trademark law states that certain trademarks are not legal if they are "disparaging, scandalous contemptuous, or disreputable." The legal battle went on for seven years and in 1999 the judges canceled the federal trademarks of the Redskin name "on the grounds that the subject marks may disparage Native Americans and may bring them into contempt or disrepute."

Ever since then there has been controversy over the team's name. The controversy has been further ignited by comments made by President Obama and Bob Costas, along with members of Congress sending a letter to the owner of the team , Dan Snyder urging him to change the name. As of now, Snyder has vehemently refused to change the name. Polls seem to back Snyder, with an AP/Gfk poll in May stating that 79 percent of respondents don't want the name changed. In the only poll available of Native Americans on the subject, done by the Annenberg Project in 2004, 91 percent of American Indians thought the name was acceptable.

The problem is this. The Redskins are a corporate entity, with all the constitutional rights that an individual has. It's name is an expression of it's own free speech, and as such I believe this overt political correctness is unduly mendacious in nature. If such name were offensive, I ask, wouldn't you need to systematically sue each sports team who uses an Indian in it's name or as a mascot? Isn't this a bit much? I am a Cherokee Indian on my father's side, and I have no qualms with the name.

This is an Overly Politically Correct America.

You should credit your sources. Changing a word or two does does not erase the plagiarism. Mrs. Magilicuty would not give you a star.

Deal with it.

80 years ago, Native Americans were restricted to reservations, and were probably just happy enough they weren't going to get genocided again.

Just ignore the fact that Temple is one of the people who is supposed to be offended, but isnt.

If you would not call it to someone's face...it's probably inappropriate as the name of a sporting team.

Wow. That was an awesome argument. Straight, to the point, no bullshit.

Gets right to the heart of the matter.

Then i guess the Vancouver Canucks have to change thier name as well, as SOME people find it offensive.

Considering some blacks call each other "nigga" all the damn time your argument does have some holes in it.

If you would not call it to someone's face...it's probably inappropriate as the name of a sporting team.

Then i guess the Vancouver Canucks have to change thier name as well, as SOME people find it offensive.

Considering some blacks call each other "nigga" all the damn time your argument does have some holes in it.

Not really. I think we've established there's a difference between "nigga" and the word Mark Fuhrman used.

Not really. I think we've established there's a difference between "nigga" and the word Mark Fuhrman used.

A difference in perception only. The word is basically the same. But keep stretching, its fun to watch.

[

Just ignore the fact that Temple is one of the people who is supposed to be offended, but isnt.

There's a team out there called the "Bi-Polars"?

Good Old JoeBlow, always ignoring any point that infringies on his facist rapist loving worldview.

He didn't have a point. Just because HE isn't offended, doesn't mean there aren't a lot of people who are, and rightfully so.

Wytch had it down perfectly, if you wouldn't randomly call someone that to their face, you probably should use it as a sports team name.

A difference in perception only. The word is basically the same. But keep stretching, its fun to watch.

yes, exactly.

PERCEPTION-

Black folks calling each other that Ironically-

different than-

White folks calling black folks that as a sign of contempt.

There's a team out there called the "Bi-Polars"?

Good Old JoeBlow, always ignoring any point that infringies on his facist rapist loving worldview.

He didn't have a point. Just because HE isn't offended, doesn't mean there aren't a lot of people who are, and rightfully so.

Wytch had it down perfectly, if you wouldn't randomly call someone that to their face, you probably should use it as a sports team name.

So our entire society has to base its language on the people who are the most easily offended? Bullshit.

I'm offended by Dr Who pictures. Take down your Avatar NOW or you are being insensitive.

So our entire society has to base its language on the people who are the most easily offended? Bullshit.

I'm offended by Dr Who pictures. Take down your Avatar NOW or you are being insensitive.

Because you know you'll never be that cool?

You know what's hilarious. It's the reaction of you and Bi-Polar Boy that a rich person might have to actually do something he doesn't want to do because the little people demand it.

Deal with it.

Nope. Being a Cherokee Indian, I get to decide what's racist here. I say it isn't. Deal with it. I also could be offended by the name of my Atlanta Braves, who use Indian terminology and such. But I'm not.

Get over yourself.

Yeah, I'm sure the Daleks are howling RACIST right now. :lol:

I searched to see if a thread was made about this, and didn't see any - at any rate - I made this comment there:

Bob Costas Sunday, took the time once again to make political points.
Saying the Washington Redskins is an "insult, a racial slur" and could not honestly be considered a positive statement about a people or race.
Well Costas, stick to baseball, it is what you know.
Football/Baseball/Basketball teams have named themselves after the American Indians for generations for obvious reasons. It is a testament to the fact that Indians were a resilient/defiant/tough people. A people who faced great odds without fear.
Of course sports teams would want to associate themselves to these traits. It is certainly a "positive statement about a people or race". What kind of idiot would name a sports team about people they hate or want to disparage?
There was never a consideration in Atlanta to call the Braves - the "Atlanta Slaves"..or the Pittsburgh Steelers the "Pittsburgh N*ggers". Naming a sports team is either something that is known about the area they are from, or a name that represents a character trait that they want to associate with.
Sit down Bob and call the game, keep your political opinions to yourself. It makes you look foolish.

Forum List

Back