Apparently it's not easy to get laid in the capital if you're a Republican

Would you date your political opposite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Even if you're not associated with the current administration or a MAGA-hat wearing Trump supporter, it can apparently be hard to lock down a date if you lean right. A reporter for a right-wing media outlet told the Washingtonian he recently went out on a date that crashed and burned once the woman noticed some conservative books on his shelf. Even though the guy told her he didn't vote for Trump and considers himself a moderate conservative, she ended things there.

"She was like, 'I have to get out of here. I canā€™t see you,' and left," he said. "The policies and these things that are attached to the right, whether or not youā€™re a supporter of Trump, have been pre-supposed on you, and itā€™s like a black mark."

Other lovelorn Republicans told the Washingtonian they've been getting people to agree to dates by avoiding any mention of their politics or their work at all costs on dating appsā€”essentially hiding who they really are until they meet someone in person. Some said they've gone out of their way to avoid meeting up with liberals altogetherā€”like one White House staffer who said she won't match with anyone who went to a small liberal arts school, and sticks to swiping right for dudes from the South.

Conservatives Are Whining Because No One Wants to Date Them

The above article is based on the following article in the Washingtonian:

When she first moved to DC, a former Obama White House staffer who now works at the Aspen Institute was set up on a date with a Republican who worked on Capitol Hill. ā€œWe had a really nice time, but at the end of the date, he told me he didnā€™t believe in global warming,ā€ she says. ā€œI started laughing, because Iā€™m from Colorado and didnā€™t realize people actually didnā€™t believe in global warming. But he was serious.ā€ They didnā€™t go out again.

Republicans say itā€™s liberals who are more likely to turn down someone across the aisle. ā€œDemocrats are usually more vocalā€ about their opposition, the Trump staffer says, and therefore quicker to demonize all conservatives.

ā€œI feel like they look at me and are like, hereā€™s a tall white dude with brown hair wearing loafers, and he probably has a picture of Reagan and the NRA in his bedroom or something,ā€ says one of the reporters from the conservative media company. ā€œI just think they have a very hyperbolic view of what a conservative is.ā€

Why Itā€™s Hard for Conservatives to Date in DC Right Now | Washingtonian

Or as a dear friend of mine said, "Hi, I belong to a group that believes you cannot make your own decisions about your body, that you should not be paid the same as a man, that you should not be believed when you report sexual abuse, and you should thank the lord when you get raped because it was God's will. Hey, where are you going?"

And now, for my .02 worth. From all indications here on this board, no conservative man or woman would ever date across the aisle. So I'm pretty sure there'd be no hard feelings if I said "Right backatcha, sunshine!"

well, they could always choose not to support misogynist, racist policies.

Whether I'd date/wed a woman who's my political opposite -- What does that mean for someone who's chosen no political party with which to align? -- depends on the person's character, how she treats me, others and my family, and the nature and extent to which our life interests and goals are complementary.

Poor RWs whine about being recognized for what they are.

I recently read some Hollywood actor saying much the same thing.

Funny thing is, they're always getting all offended about this or that but say its the left who are "triggered snowflakes". Silly. Isn't there a dating site for trumpanzees?

For myself, nope. Not a chance.

It honestly depends how conservative they are. If they are a Trump type republican then hell to the no.

But if they are a moderate republican I wouldn't mind. As long as they aren't the heartless type of republican that believes in taking things like Medicaid and school lunches away.

I'm married anyway so I'm not in the dating field anymore. He's just as liberal as I am.

By luck alone, my wife is farther to the right than I am. We never discussed politics while we were dating.

There's an unstated implication in there that these conservative guys would date liberal women. I'm not sure I buy it.

Why not date lefty women . it's not like you have to live with them, as I recall they were pretty sweet if they hadn't tweaked to victimized sourpuss level.

Last edited:
they could always choose not to support misogynist, racist policies.

That's difficult. I support having an immigration policy and enforcing it and, for liberals like you, that's racist.

Most conservative women are grateful lovers, due to conservative men are for the most part, latent homosexuals.

I doubt a true conservative woman would date a liberal muckholer more than once (if ever) and aren't you insulting yourself...

There's an unstated implication in there that these conservative guys would date liberal women. I'm not sure I buy it.
Perhaps because you've been living under a rock for so long.

I know several conservative/liberal married couples. Most are conservative guys, liberal gals but not all.

If Mary Matalin and serpent head James Carville can keep a "mixed" marriage together anyone can IMO.

Even if you're not associated with the current administration or a MAGA-hat wearing Trump supporter, it can apparently be hard to lock down a date if you lean right. A reporter for a right-wing media outlet told the Washingtonian he recently went out on a date that crashed and burned once the woman noticed some conservative books on his shelf. Even though the guy told her he didn't vote for Trump and considers himself a moderate conservative, she ended things there.

"She was like, 'I have to get out of here. I canā€™t see you,' and left," he said. "The policies and these things that are attached to the right, whether or not youā€™re a supporter of Trump, have been pre-supposed on you, and itā€™s like a black mark."

Other lovelorn Republicans told the Washingtonian they've been getting people to agree to dates by avoiding any mention of their politics or their work at all costs on dating appsā€”essentially hiding who they really are until they meet someone in person. Some said they've gone out of their way to avoid meeting up with liberals altogetherā€”like one White House staffer who said she won't match with anyone who went to a small liberal arts school, and sticks to swiping right for dudes from the South.

When she first moved to DC, a former Obama White House staffer who now works at the Aspen Institute was set up on a date with a Republican who worked on Capitol Hill. ā€œWe had a really nice time, but at the end of the date, he told me he didnā€™t believe in global warming,ā€ she says. ā€œI started laughing, because Iā€™m from Colorado and didnā€™t realize people actually didnā€™t believe in global warming. But he was serious.ā€ They didnā€™t go out again.

Republicans say itā€™s liberals who are more likely to turn down someone across the aisle. ā€œDemocrats are usually more vocalā€ about their opposition, the Trump staffer says, and therefore quicker to demonize all conservatives.

ā€œI feel like they look at me and are like, hereā€™s a tall white dude with brown hair wearing loafers, and he probably has a picture of Reagan and the NRA in his bedroom or something,ā€ says one of the reporters from the conservative media company. ā€œI just think they have a very hyperbolic view of what a conservative is.ā€

Or as a dear friend of mine said, "Hi, I belong to a group that believes you cannot make your own decisions about your body, that you should not be paid the same as a man, that you should not be believed when you report sexual abuse, and you should thank the lord when you get raped because it was God's will. Hey, where are you going?"

And now, for my .02 worth. From all indications here on this board, no conservative man or woman would ever date across the aisle. So I'm pretty sure there'd be no hard feelings if I said "Right backatcha, sunshine!"
I'll bite.

The key to a successful long term relationship is being able to agree to disagree without any hard feelings about it.

Does not matter what their party (if any) is.

I would beware of anyone on either extreme however. Those are wacko's.
The problem is that today the Republican party is going against everything people value in modern life, such as equality and respect for women and minorities, as is noted in the article. The majority of Americans want gun control; rightwingers don't. The majority of Americans are truly disgusted with the current administration: rightwingers are not. It is this current administration and the Republican support of it that makes people abhor them and not want anything to do with them.

In my dating youth, conservative/Republican guys were interested in me as much as liberals were. I never found them interesting and only went out with one or two and only one time. I could never be involved with a rightwing man. Their values are nothing like mine. My parents were a mixed couple, one Republican and one Democrat. But that was back in the olden times when people were not so political. They didn't argue about politics. They were very mild about it. But they did vote, despite the fact they often canceled out each others' vote.

I'll bite.

The key to a successful long term relationship is being able to agree to disagree without any hard feelings about it.

The problem is that today the Republican party is going against everything people value in modern life, such as equality and respect for women and minorities, as is noted in the article. The majority of Americans want gun control; rightwingers don't. The majority of Americans are truly disgusted with the current administration: rightwingers are not. It is this current administration and the Republican support of it that makes people abhor them and not want anything to do with them.

You make the common mistakes of 1) assuming your values are common values 2) forgetting most of the current "war on women" is being waged by fellow traveller progressives who talk the talk and act like cads when in private. 3) go with blanket "gun control" when once it goes beyond weasel word surveys people continue to push back against punishing law abiding people in some pathetic attempt at control disguised as "concern"

You don't get to speak for the majority, you hack.

I'll bite.

"It is this current administration and the Republican support of it that makes people abhor them and not want anything to do with them."

Realistically, there's just no pleasing you Esmeralda, not with that attitude......:flirtysmile4:

Nothing says....I am a total asshole
As being conservative

Left Wing Women must get very lonely because Liberal Men are either not interested in women or they are in prison.

Forum List

Back