Apres moi le deluge

Czernobog

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2014
Corner of Chaos and Reason
For those of you who don't know French (or history), that is a famous line ascribed to Louis XVI, which means, roughly, "After me, the deluge". The kinder of historians assert that Louis was lamenting the chaos that would ensue after his death. Those who are more familiar with his reign suggest that he was telling the world how few fucks he gave about what would happen to France after he was dead. The arrogance, the apathy, not to mention the subtle sense of style, could all be applied to Trump.

Trump is losing. He’s losing spectacularly. And deep down in the dark, twisted recesses of his damaged loser psyche, he knows it. Yet, like an overmatched boxer who knows he’s behind on rounds, his face bloodied, his knees buckling, he keeps taking wild swings, desperately trying to land a punch. He flails with erratic statements about Hillary’s health. He panders to black voters, though it’s painfully obvious that after 15 months of vile, racist comments, that the effort is failing miserably. Even his running mate – a vertical loaf of Wonder Bread – can’t mask the candidate’s inner stink.

The only thing keeping Trump viable is a flailing media that clings to the horserace meme. They don’t seem to understand the phenomenon they’re dealing with. They treat Trump like a democrat. They think calling him a hypocrite, flip flopper, or inconsistent in his position is a damning attack. It’s like a child walked into a room and scrawled on the wall with his own poop, and the media analyzes the paintings. Ironically, Trump constantly attacks that very media that is keeping his reality show of a Presidential campaign relevant. They gleefully sling words like “pivot,” “softening,” and “tightening”, as if they have some meaning in relation to Trump's campaign. They analyze Trump’s statements, desperately looking for his policies, as if there’s actually some method in his madness. There isn’t. Shit flows out of his mouth on an ad hoc basis, crafted to rile up the crowd. And it works on his supporters because they don’t know what he’s saying, they just love the way he says it. If he says to boo journalists, they boo. If he said to applaud them, they’d applaud. He’s a clown, pulling streams of colored handkerchiefs out of his sleeve at a children’s party.

And everyone knows it. Those in the Modern Republican Party know it. They also know they’re stuck with a nominee who is so despicable that they can’t even follow their usual behavior, which is to fall in lockstep behind him. For the more thoughtful among them, the fear is that he’ll take down their brand. For the more opportunistic, it’s simply that he’s losing. And as Trump goes down in flames, they’re left to question the future of the party. Has the MRP brand been tainted beyond repair? Will they be forever Trumpstained?

I'd like to say that, at some point, the MRP will finally come to understand that obstructionism isn’t a valid political stance, it’s simply an impediment to governing. I'd like to say they’ll see that intransigence is not integrity, and that compromise is not capitulation. I'd like to say this will lead to an era of cooperation between the parties where they’ll join hands and lead this country into the 21st century. Unfortunately, I just don't believe that the Modern Republican Party is capable of such enlightened self-awareness. They’ll just want back in power. And they know that while Trump may disappear from the national stage, Trumpism isn’t going anywhere. The millions of voters who propelled the orangutan haired sociopath to the nomination in the first place are still angry that the country they loved is morphing into a multicultural, non-Jesus-loving, gay-marrying, sexually fluid hellscape. They’ll just be raw anger without a voice. And the party wants that anger. The party needs that anger. They’ll just have to find a way to channel it via a kinder, gentler advocate. A more intelligent, less hateful, less Trump-y Trump.

Like an army preparing a reinvasion, they’re going to stockpile supplies at the border, setting their sights on (most likely) re-taking the Senate in 2018, where more Democrats will be vulnerable, and gunning for the White House in 2020. Ted Cruz will plot his political resurrection, so get ready for more Green Eggs and Ham. Also shooting for 2020 will be Paul Ryan, who will never abandon his wet dream of a Randian utopia. They're all going to set their sights on the abomination that is Clinton, and are going to position themselves as the Templars girding themselves for the Holy War against Clintonism. They will spend the next two years doing absolutely nothing, and telling everyone how unreasonable Clinton is, and how she refuses to "work with them" (which translates to "She won't do exactly we want, and expect us to compromise with her!!!").

I expect Republicans to see Trump as just a wild, drunken road trip — the symbol of a wasted opportunity in a winnable election — as opposed to a Frankenstein monster created out of 8 years of racism and fear-mongering, a virtual boner pill for those who were afraid that civilization was leaving them behind. There will be no post-Trump Republican deluge. No re-evaluating. No self-reflection. Just a subtle re-branding, more obstruction, and a search for a new messiah. I hope I'm wrong, but I hear nothing from Republicans to lead me to believe that they acknowledge even a little responsibility in creating the leviathan that was Trump. So, I see no reason to believe that anything will change within the party after he is gone.

For those of you who don't know French (or history), that is a famous line ascribed to Louis XVI, which means, roughly, "After me, the deluge". The kinder of historians assert that Louis was lamenting the chaos that would ensue after his death. Those who are more familiar with his reign suggest that he was telling the world how few fucks he gave about what would happen to France after he was dead. The arrogance, the apathy, not to mention the subtle sense of style, could all be applied to Trump.

Trump is losing. He’s losing spectacularly. And deep down in the dark, twisted recesses of his damaged loser psyche, he knows it. Yet, like an overmatched boxer who knows he’s behind on rounds, his face bloodied, his knees buckling, he keeps taking wild swings, desperately trying to land a punch. He flails with erratic statements about Hillary’s health. He panders to black voters, though it’s painfully obvious that after 15 months of vile, racist comments, that the effort is failing miserably. Even his running mate – a vertical loaf of Wonder Bread – can’t mask the candidate’s inner stink.

The only thing keeping Trump viable is a flailing media that clings to the horserace meme. They don’t seem to understand the phenomenon they’re dealing with. They treat Trump like a democrat. They think calling him a hypocrite, flip flopper, or inconsistent in his position is a damning attack. It’s like a child walked into a room and scrawled on the wall with his own poop, and the media analyzes the paintings. Ironically, Trump constantly attacks that very media that is keeping his reality show of a Presidential campaign relevant. They gleefully sling words like “pivot,” “softening,” and “tightening”, as if they have some meaning in relation to Trump's campaign. They analyze Trump’s statements, desperately looking for his policies, as if there’s actually some method in his madness. There isn’t. Shit flows out of his mouth on an ad hoc basis, crafted to rile up the crowd. And it works on his supporters because they don’t know what he’s saying, they just love the way he says it. If he says to boo journalists, they boo. If he said to applaud them, they’d applaud. He’s a clown, pulling streams of colored handkerchiefs out of his sleeve at a children’s party.

And everyone knows it. Those in the Modern Republican Party know it. They also know they’re stuck with a nominee who is so despicable that they can’t even follow their usual behavior, which is to fall in lockstep behind him. For the more thoughtful among them, the fear is that he’ll take down their brand. For the more opportunistic, it’s simply that he’s losing. And as Trump goes down in flames, they’re left to question the future of the party. Has the MRP brand been tainted beyond repair? Will they be forever Trumpstained?

I'd like to say that, at some point, the MRP will finally come to understand that obstructionism isn’t a valid political stance, it’s simply an impediment to governing. I'd like to say they’ll see that intransigence is not integrity, and that compromise is not capitulation. I'd like to say this will lead to an era of cooperation between the parties where they’ll join hands and lead this country into the 21st century. Unfortunately, I just don't believe that the Modern Republican Party is capable of such enlightened self-awareness. They’ll just want back in power. And they know that while Trump may disappear from the national stage, Trumpism isn’t going anywhere. The millions of voters who propelled the orangutan haired sociopath to the nomination in the first place are still angry that the country they loved is morphing into a multicultural, non-Jesus-loving, gay-marrying, sexually fluid hellscape. They’ll just be raw anger without a voice. And the party wants that anger. The party needs that anger. They’ll just have to find a way to channel it via a kinder, gentler advocate. A more intelligent, less hateful, less Trump-y Trump.

Like an army preparing a reinvasion, they’re going to stockpile supplies at the border, setting their sights on (most likely) re-taking the Senate in 2018, where more Democrats will be vulnerable, and gunning for the White House in 2020. Ted Cruz will plot his political resurrection, so get ready for more Green Eggs and Ham. Also shooting for 2020 will be Paul Ryan, who will never abandon his wet dream of a Randian utopia. They're all going to set their sights on the abomination that is Clinton, and are going to position themselves as the Templars girding themselves for the Holy War against Clintonism. They will spend the next two years doing absolutely nothing, and telling everyone how unreasonable Clinton is, and how she refuses to "work with them" (which translates to "She won't do exactly we want, and expect us to compromise with her!!!").

I expect Republicans to see Trump as just a wild, drunken road trip — the symbol of a wasted opportunity in a winnable election — as opposed to a Frankenstein monster created out of 8 years of racism and fear-mongering, a virtual boner pill for those who were afraid that civilization was leaving them behind. There will be no post-Trump Republican deluge. No re-evaluating. No self-reflection. Just a subtle re-branding, more obstruction, and a search for a new messiah. I hope I'm wrong, but I hear nothing from Republicans to lead me to believe that they acknowledge even a little responsibility in creating the leviathan that was Trump. So, I see no reason to believe that anything will change within the party after he is gone.

"....though it’s painfully obvious that after 15 months of vile, racist comments, ..."

Jesse Jackson says you're lying....

What racist comments has he made?
  • Well, there was his saying that a Judge is disqualified because of his heritage:

He’s a Mexican,” Trump told CNN of Curiel. “We’re building a wall between here and Mexico. The answer is, he is giving us very unfair rulings — rulings that people can’t even believe.”
  • Then there is his treating of minorities as monoliths. Virtually every time Trump mentions a minority group, he uses the definite article the, as in “the Hispanics,” “the Muslims” and “the blacks.”

• Then he condoned beating up a Black Lives Matter protester. At a November campaign rally in Alabama, Trump supporters physically attacked an African-American protester after the man began chanting “Black lives matter.” Video of the incident shows the assailants kicking the man after he has already fallen to the ground.

The following day, Trump implied that the attackers were justified.“

Maybe [the protester] should have been roughed up,” he mused. “It was absolutely disgusting what he was doing.”

• Then there was the two Latino men that Trump supporters attack. Instead of condemning the attack, he excused it as his supporters being "passionate". Two brothers arrested in Boston last summer for beating up a homeless Latino man cited Trump’s anti-immigrant message when explaining why they did it. “Donald Trump was right — all these illegals need to be deported,” one of the men reportedly told police officers.

Trump did not even bother to distance himself from them. Instead, he suggested that the men were well-intentioned and had simply gotten carried away.

“I will say that people who are following me are very passionate,” Trump said. “They love this country and they want this country to be great again. They are passionate.”

• Then there's the fact that African Americans are tokens. At a campaign appearance in California in June, Trump boasted that he had a black supporter in the crowd, saying “look at my African American over here.”
Shall I go on?

• Well, there was his saying that a Judge is disqualified because of his heritage:

He’s a Mexican,” Trump told CNN of Curiel. “We’re building a wall between here and Mexico. The answer is, he is giving us very unfair rulings — rulings that people can’t even believe.”
  • Then there is his treating of minorities as monoliths. Virtually every time Trump mentions a minority group, he uses the definite article the, as in “the Hispanics,” “the Muslims” and “the blacks.”

• Then he condoned beating up a Black Lives Matter protester. At a November campaign rally in Alabama, Trump supporters physically attacked an African-American protester after the man began chanting “Black lives matter.” Video of the incident shows the assailants kicking the man after he has already fallen to the ground.

Maybe [the protester] should have been roughed up,” he mused. “It was absolutely disgusting what he was doing.”

• Then there was the two Latino men that Trump supporters attack. Instead of condemning the attack, he excused it as his supporters being "passionate". Two brothers arrested in Boston last summer for beating up a homeless Latino man cited Trump’s anti-immigrant message when explaining why they did it. “Donald Trump was right — all these illegals need to be deported,” one of the men reportedly told police officers.

Trump did not even bother to distance himself from them. Instead, he suggested that the men were well-intentioned and had simply gotten carried away.

“I will say that people who are following me are very passionate,” Trump said. “They love this country and they want this country to be great again. They are passionate.”

• Then there's the fact that African Americans are tokens. At a campaign appearance in California in June, Trump boasted that he had a black supporter in the crowd, saying “look at my African American over here.”
Shall I go on?

rac·ist
ˈrāsəst/
noun
  1. 1.
    a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

So....he hasn't made any racist statements?

Gracias.

Shall I go on?

rac·ist
ˈrāsəst/
noun
  1. 1.

Gracias.
Better definition of racism, from Webster:

a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

But, none of Trump's comments or actions demonstrate that he perceives some races as inferior.

Sure. You go with that thought...

Of course, I find it interesting that all you got out of the OP was "Trump is a racist", and completely missed the larger theme of the OP...

Last edited:

Shall I go on?

rac·ist
ˈrāsəst/
noun
  1. 1.

Gracias.

a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

But, none of Trump's comments or actions demonstrate that he perceives some races as inferior.

Of course, I find it interesting that all you got out of the OP was "Trump is a racist", and completely missed the larger theme of the OP...

As you lack even a passing acquaintance with the English language....let me give you a prime example of a racist comment.

"Bill Clinton on Obama: 'A Few Years Ago, This Guy Would Have Been Carrying Our Bags'"
Bill Clinton on Obama: 'A Few Years Ago, This Guy Would Have Been Carrying Our Bags'

BTW....Bill's wife is running for President on the racist...er, Democrat ticket.

You're absolutely right. Trump hasn't said anything even remotely racist. The Blacks, The Mexicans, and The Muslims are just too thin-skinned, and don't understand Trump's sense of humour...

You're absolutely right. Trump hasn't said anything even remotely racist. The Blacks, The Mexicans, and The Muslims are just too thin-skinned, and don't understand Trump's sense of humour...

If you could provide any of his comment that state inferiority of "The Blacks, The Mexicans, and The Muslims,"...you would have.

So....you're preparing to retract your fallacious statement accusing him of 'racist statements'?

Excellent.

Waiting.

If you could provide any of his comment that state inferiority of "The Blacks, The Mexicans, and The Muslims,"...you would have.

So....you're preparing to retract your fallacious statement accusing him of 'racist statements'?

Excellent.

Waiting.
No. No I'm not. I am amused, however, that "Trump is a racist' is the only thing your puny little brain was able to comprehend from the OP. Come on back when you are able to comprehend the actual point of the OP.

Excellent.

Waiting.
No. No I'm not. I am amused, however, that "Trump is a racist' is the only thing your puny little brain was able to comprehend from the OP. Come on back when you are able to comprehend the actual point of the OP.

I'm certain that I've taught you to use language with more precision in the future.

So glad to be of help.

But....it appears we did agree on one item....or did you forget to object when I pointed out that the Democrat Party is, actually, the party of racism.

Shall I go on?

rac·ist
ˈrāsəst/
noun
  1. 1.

Gracias.

As you lack even a passing acquaintance with the English language....let me give you a prime example of a racist comment.

"Bill Clinton on Obama: 'A Few Years Ago, This Guy Would Have Been Carrying Our Bags'"
Bill Clinton on Obama: 'A Few Years Ago, This Guy Would Have Been Carrying Our Bags'

BTW....Bill's wife is running for President on the racist...er, Democrat ticket.

nice cut and paste.

even paul ryan said his statements about judge curiale were racist.

:cuckoo:

Shall I go on?

rac·ist
ˈrāsəst/
noun
  1. 1.

Gracias.

nice cut and paste.

Well, then, provide said racist comments.

I'm sure you are an expert in this realm, as you regularly support and advance the racist...Democrat....party....the one with the historic record of creating the KKK, Jim Crow laws, slavery, segregation, and second class citizenship.

Waiting.

Shall I go on?

rac·ist
ˈrāsəst/
noun
  1. 1.

Gracias.

nice cut and paste.

Actually, PoliticalChic is doing a brilliant job of making the point in my OP for me. He sees absolutely nothing wrong with Trump. He doesn't view Trump's actions, and words as destructive to the MRP, so, even after Trump's loss, he, and the rest of the Modern Republican Party will see no need to make any changes, other than, perhaps, "softening" the rhetoric, so that it will be less offensive to "Not Republicans".

Well, there was his saying that a Judge is disqualified because of his heritage:

"Mexican" is not a race, but a nationality.

Then there is his treating of minorities as monoliths. Virtually every time Trump mentions a minority group, he uses the definite article the, as in “the Hispanics,” “the Muslims” and “the blacks.”

All people categorize by default. Consider the Democrats in their treatment of blacks and Latinos as solid voting blocs.

Then he condoned beating up a Black Lives Matter protester. At a November campaign rally in Alabama, Trump supporters physically attacked an African-American protester after the man began chanting “Black lives matter.” Video of the incident shows the assailants kicking the man after he has already fallen to the ground.

That is not protest, but confrontational activism. You can expect to get stomped in such a circumstance.

Then there was the two Latino men that Trump supporters attack. Instead of condemning the attack, he excused it as his supporters being "passionate". Two brothers arrested in Boston last summer for beating up a homeless Latino man cited Trump’s anti-immigrant message when explaining why they did it. “Donald Trump was right — all these illegals need to be deported,” one of the men reportedly told police officers.

That is their affair, not Trump's. Consider the attacks on Trump supporters at numerous rallies. Do you blame Hillary?

Then there's the fact that African Americans are tokens. At a campaign appearance in California in June, Trump boasted that he had a black supporter in the crowd, saying “look at my African American over here.”

If there had been but a single Irishman, and Trump had said "Look at my Irishman over there", would that have been different?

Shall I go on?

Suit yourself.

Shall I go on?

rac·ist
ˈrāsəst/
noun
  1. 1.

Gracias.

nice cut and paste.

It seems the Democrats care far more about what Paul Ryan says than his own party. Since "Mexican" is not a race, that makes Paul Ryan an idiot.

Shall I go on?

rac·ist
ˈrāsəst/
noun
  1. 1.

Gracias.

nice cut and paste.

I'm sure you are an expert in this realm, as you regularly support and advance the racist...Democrat....party....the one with the historic record of creating the KKK, Jim Crow laws, slavery, segregation, and second class citizenship.

Waiting.

What???

Our ersatz conduit for DNC talking points, Jillian, has disappeared???

Shall I go on?

rac·ist
ˈrāsəst/
noun
  1. 1.

Gracias.

nice cut and paste.

Actually, PoliticalChic is doing a brilliant job of making the point in my OP for me. He sees absolutely nothing wrong with Trump. He doesn't view Trump's actions, and words as destructive to the MRP, so, even after Trump's loss, he, and the rest of the Modern Republican Party will see no need to make any changes, other than, perhaps, "softening" the rhetoric, so that it will be less offensive to "Not Republicans".

"...sees absolutely nothing wrong with Trump."

Now....see....I've reduced you to fibbing.

The only point I made...and proved....is that you couldn't support your claim that Trump is responsible for 'racist statements.'

For liars, excusing their own dishonesty involved a certain sorts of contortions.....they may chalk it up to disrespect for the target of the lie, or imagine that the lie is well intentioned, as support for a larger good.
See Harvard ethicist, Herbert Kelman, "Human Use of Human Subjects: The Problem of Deception in Social Psychological Experiments."

At long last, the truth. Congratulations.

Shall I go on?

rac·ist
ˈrāsəst/
noun
  1. 1.

Gracias.

nice cut and paste.

It seems the Democrats care far more about what Paul Ryan says than his own party. Since "Mexican" is not a race, that makes Paul Ryan an idiot.

you not understanding that most normal people (including paul ryan) believe that was a bigoted comment.

your defense of the orange bigoted fascist by asserting "mexican is not a race?" is really stupid and dishonest.

so no wonder that you're one of trumpster's uneducated angry white men.

rac·ist
ˈrāsəst/
noun
  1. 1.

Gracias.

nice cut and paste.

Waiting.

What???

Our ersatz conduit for DNC talking points has disappeared???
rac·ist
ˈrāsəst/
noun
  1. 1.

Gracias.

nice cut and paste.

"...sees absolutely nothing wrong with Trump."

Now....see....I've reduced you to fibbing.

The only point I made...and proved....is that you couldn't support your claim that Trump is responsible for 'racist statements.'

For liars, excusing their own dishonesty involved a certain sorts of contortions.....they may chalk it up to disrespect for the target of the lie, or imagine that the lie is well intentioned, as support for a larger good.
See Harvard ethicist, Herbert Kelman, "Human Use of Human Subjects: The Problem of Deception in Social Psychological Experiments."
You really should read that yourself. African Americans perceive Trump's rhetoric as racist. Latinoes perceive Trump's comments as racist. Trump's own party members perceive Trumps actions, and words as racist. White Nativists (The new term for White Supremacists) perceive Trump's comments, and actions to be in line with their racism. The only peopled who don't recognise Trump's actions, and words as racist, are Trump supporters.

My daddy always used to tell me, "If one person calls you and ass, that's their problem. If a couple of people call you an ass, that's their problem, if a few people call you an ass, that's their problem. Son...if everybody is calling you an ass, you better check for the long ears, and tail,"

Forum List

Back