Are we better off than we were a year ago ??

If mothers stay home with their little kids, and husbands can’t afford the house on a single income, the pool of potential buyers shrinks. Eventually, housing prices will drop.
If they can’t afford the house, where do they live?

Rent is too damn high too.

Fine. We might have to pay slightly more to buy the company’s products, but we’d be saving a fortune on educating kids who are grades behind and don’t speak English, feeding them breakfast and lunch, and when mama pushes out an anchor baby, then housing subsidies, food stamps, and Medicaid.
Slightly more? Wide swaths of the country will see mass business closure. We won’t pay higher prices, we just won’t have the product available. Restaurants don’t just charge more for a burger. They close. That means a lot of citizens also lose their jobs.

You dramatically underestimate the contribution to the economy and overestimate the cost to society.

If they can’t afford the house, where do they live?

Rent is too damn high too.
Waaaaa…..everything is too high! Give me other people’s money!!

Again, you live an hour out of the city, you can rent a modest townhouse or apartment. You leftis think the answer to every problem is to use other people’s money.

Again, you live an hour out of the city, you can rent a modest townhouse or apartment. You leftis think the answer to every problem is to use other people’s money.
They could make daddies pay

Slightly more? Wide swaths of the country will see mass business closure. We won’t pay higher prices, we just won’t have the product available. Restaurants don’t just charge more for a burger. They close. That means a lot of citizens also lose their jobs.

You dramatically underestimate the contribution to the economy and overestimate the cost to society.
We don’t have the products available now because The leftists are bribing people to turn down work.

Get rid of the illegals, turn off the money spigot to able-bodied adults, let them get back to work, and we will have products available.

You think the answer to problems is ignore it and ridicule people who think it’s a problem.

Housing is inelastic. Prices don’t go down because people have to have housing. Demand is ALWAYS high. Prices don’t go down because people can’t afford it unless you have mass homelessness.

But again, your casual disregard for people’s concern for the high prices of things clashes with current right wing narrative complaining about the price of ground beef.

Waaaaa! It’s too expensive! Buy some tofu.

We don’t have the products available now because The leftists are bribing people to turn down work.

Get rid of the illegals, turn off the money spigot to able-bodied adults, let them get back to work, and we will have products available.
Again the extent of this money “spigot” you’re talking about is a child tax credit. Correct?

And even then, just the people who get refundable credits.

You’re out of touch.

The 50s were a lot simpler. Since then, inflation in housing, medical care, child care and education have skyrocketed.

Don’t act all high and mighty. These are serious problems. Far more serious than a 4% increase in the price of bananas.
Most of the increases in the industries you listed are due to government interference.

So you're okay with illegals earning far less than Americans so the products you buy are cheaper.

I'd rather have more Americans working. Your mileage may vary.
Americans are working. Unemployment is 4%.

I’m not so naive as to think the economy would function without an expansion of the low skill (or even moderate skill depending on what sector) labor that illegal immigration provides.

You think the answer to problems is ignore it and ridicule people who think it’s a problem.

Housing is inelastic. Prices don’t go down because people have to have housing. Demand is ALWAYS high. Prices don’t go down because people can’t afford it unless you have mass homelessness.

But again, your casual disregard for people’s concern for the high prices of things clashes with current right wing narrative complaining about the price of ground beef.

Waaaaa! It’s too expensive! Buy some tofu.
Housing pricing is NOT inelastic. When I bought my first property in 1984 - a tiny studio in a suburb, but I couldn’t afford any more - the price was only $60,000. Why? Because interest rates were 13%, and people couldn’t afford a $100,000 mortgage with those rates. So home sellers lowered prices.

Your solution to people not being able to buy the house they want is simply: take other people’s money and give it to them,

My solution is to buy a modest place you can afford, or if not, rent a smallish place in the exurbs.

People are NOT entitled to owning a house they cannot afford. they aren’t entitled to owning a house at all.

Most of the increases in the industries you listed are due to government interference.
To some extent yes. Housing is a result of zoning laws primarily but there’s other market forces. Builders don’t want to waste time on affordable housing, margins are too high for the top of the market. We’ve been defunding public universities for decades. Medical care is more expensive because medical care is better. More advanced. More capable. Childcare is expensive because for all sorts of reasons.

Liberal arts degrees teach one how to think. How to collect information, organize it, synthesize it and express conclusions based on it.

There’s a lot of jobs out there you don’t “train” for. They require a malleable intelligence capable of adapting to new situations.

You don’t train for a job that doesn’t exist. You create it.
Gyndyr Stydyys graduates don't know how to think.

Meanwhile, a welder can graduate 2 years of community college with minimal student loan debt and be making $75 grand/year immediately. Skilled trades workers use their hands AND their brains.

But leftist contempt for the working class has been obvious for decades.

support working class.jpg

Again the extent of this money “spigot” you’re talking about is a child tax credit. Correct?

And even then, just the people who get refundable credits.
No. It’s no longer a tax credit. It is payable to people who don’t pay taxes at all. It’s a massive expansion of welfare. Now that welfare mother who lives in the subsidized housing with her five kids - they follow her around lined up like ducklings behind her - not only get a subsidized townhouse, and Medicaid for her large family, and food stamps, and free bus tokens, and breakfasts and lunches at schools, now she is getting an extra $1500 in cold cash. She has more disposable income than I do!

Housing pricing is NOT inelastic. When I bought my first property in 1984 - a tiny studio in a suburb, but I couldn’t afford any more - the price was only $60,000. Why? Because interest rates were 13%, and people couldn’t afford a $100,000 mortgage with those rates. So home sellers lowered prices.

Your solution to people not being able to buy the house they want is simply: take other people’s money and give it to them,

My solution is to buy a modest place you can afford, or if not, rent a smallish place in the exurbs.

People are NOT entitled to owning a house they cannot afford. they aren’t entitled to owning a house at all.
Your solution depends on their being a modest place you can afford. If that doesn’t exist, then what?

What happens is that people just spend more and more of their income on housing.

The shut downs, lock downs, and people's general naziesque attitudes towards covid have improved yes.

Other than that? No. Things pretty much are worse in everyway that effects the whole country. The past year has been one big cluster fuck from democratic politicians and shows no signs of slowing down.

Gyndyr Stydyys graduates don't know how to think.

Meanwhile, a welder can graduate 2 years of community college with minimal student loan debt and be making $75 grand/year immediately. Skilled trades workers use their hands AND their brains.

But leftist contempt for the working class has been obvious for decades.

View attachment 575041
Welders are taught how to weld. When that welding job goes away, then they’re out of luck.

This isn’t a contest. There’s pros and cons on each side.

Forum List

Back