Bacon, hot dogs and processed meats cause cancer, WHO says

Sallow

The Big Bad Wolf.
Oct 4, 2010
New York City
Not that I ate these foods all that much..

Bacon, sausage and other processed meats are now ranked alongside cigarettes and asbestos as known carcinogens, the World Health Organization announced today. Processed meats cause cancer, and red meat likely causes cancer, the health agency says in a new report.

The new investigation involved 22 scientists who were invited by the WHO’s International Agency for Research on Cancer to assess the association between more than 16 types of cancer and the consumption of red meat and processed meat.

18% greater chance of colon cancer if one eats more than 2oz daily, according to the report.

Note it says daily, 365 days a year.

Not that I ate these foods all that much..

Bacon, sausage and other processed meats are now ranked alongside cigarettes and asbestos as known carcinogens, the World Health Organization announced today. Processed meats cause cancer, and red meat likely causes cancer, the health agency says in a new report.

The new investigation involved 22 scientists who were invited by the WHO’s International Agency for Research on Cancer to assess the association between more than 16 types of cancer and the consumption of red meat and processed meat.

Funny, I knew this when I gave up beef and pork in the 1970s.

Gee..... I guess that means that all of the people around the world that live, and have lived, to be 80 and 90 years old without ever having cancer, have never eaten processed meat, or red meat? Could this be true?

18% greater chance of colon cancer if one eats more than 2oz daily, according to the report.

Note it says daily, 365 days a year.
But what is this "18% greater chance" in real numbers? By itself, a percentage increase or decline means nothing.
Take for instance: if some action "doubles the risk" (100% increase) of some outcome - that sounds bad. But if the original risk of the same outcome happened to be 1 in 10 million, then the stated increase would elevate the risk to 1 in 5 million.
It seems that whenever a group has an ulterior motive for changing a population's way of thinking, they resort to percentages.

Gee..... I guess that means that all of the people around the world that live, and have lived, to be 80 and 90 years old without ever having cancer, have never eaten processed meat, or red meat? Could this be true?

Composition Fallacy. Dismissed.

"Hey, that guy left the party drunk, drove three miles and got home without hitting anything. That proves alcohol does not impair driving".

Please. :eusa_hand:

Some group somewhere has founded a scheme, yet to be introduced, of a world tax for meat producers and eaters, due to this supposed increase of risk.
Since meat became a staple of our diet, our lifespan has increased.

This study is probably more about getting people to die earlier than anything else.

We're going to keep dying no matter what anyone does.
Yup vaccines, antibiotics, and medical advancements didn't change that. People are still dying. Eating better won't change that either.

God you're stupid Katz.
Sorry to burst your bubble but everyone is going to die, even you.
Okay. So I should eat McDonald's every day to speed up the process?

Stfu Katz.
No one brought up McDonalds but you. Do you have a need to change the subject?

Forum List

Back