Band disinvited from State Fair due to name

For some it is. Sorry, but the world is not run by the most easily offended.

Apparently enough to earn a dis invite.

It's the entire concept of using offense as a weapon. Figures you either aren't grasping it, or refuse to admit it.

Your offense isn't a weapon, it's an admission.

One journalist talked about it, and the guy at the State disinvited them. We have no count of the number offended at all.

I have no idea how many people have an opinion one way or another.

That's part of the problem. Society should not be based on the most easily offended, or more in reality those who fake offense for political gain.

Then stop being offended the band you don't listen to isn't going to be at the state fair you were never going to go to.

This isn't about being offended, it's about abuse of power and the concern that eventually it will impact things I do attend.

Actual harm is done to people silenced or shamed or shunned for bullshit reasons.

The singer does have a solo effort with a song called "N*gger Fucker".

In 1982, Coe released another independent album, Underground Album, which contained his most controversial song, "****** Fucker", which resulted in Coe being accused of racism.[10][11] Coe responded to the accusations by stating "Anyone that hears this album and says I'm a racist is full of shit."[6] Coe's drummer, Kerry Brown, is black and married to a white woman, as was Brown's late father, Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown.[8]

David Allan Coe - Wikipedia

Yeah, I don't have a problem with the state booting the band, it's a state run affair.

So you think the State can ignore the 1st amendment?

Mel Brooks made a whole movie using the word ******, actors said it. Are they also to be banned?

How is this a 1st amendment issue? By that standard any band should be able to perform. Movies also have nudity, should the state fair allow that as well?

They approved them, then removed them based on the content of their band's name.

And the confederate flag. I think the venue has the right to remove the band, many people feel the confederate flag is a sign of hate and slavery. If a band showed up with a swastika they also would be removed. I know you're not going to like that but that doesn't mean the state fair has to showcase and pay the band to play. Plus they found another venue anyway.
Lol
They absolutely do have the right to pick who they want and disinvite who they want.
But that is not the point…

Political correctness makes people pussy whipped bitches and fucking retarded...

Actually as a government function they may not have the right to deny after picking if it's based on something like the band's name, which is a form of expression.

-------------------------- sounds to me like its censorship based on the Bands Name . And as I said , looks like a pretty nasty 'pc' nation that you guys are building HJoy .

Nobody is denying the right for the band to exist or call themselves whatever they want. Doesn't give them a pass to appear anywhere they want thought. I'm sure the fair is simply looking for non-controversial entertainment, not making a political statement. I can understand that.
-------------------------------- By the arguments I see in this thread condoning Censorship my main point remains . Its a heckuva 'PC' and Unfree Nation that YOU guys are building HJoy .

I don't see how the state paying performers who use symbols that represent slavery (whatever the intention of the band) is out of line. The Confederate Railroad will do just fine, plenty of other venues. If you're concerned that symbols of hatred and enslavement aren't as accepted as they used to be then I guess you're going to have to deal with it.
Only pussy whipped bitches are moved by political correctness, And political correctness makes people fucking retarded

Eh, I can understand the state fair wanting to be non-controversial just like I can understand if they didn't want Ice Tea performing Cop Killer at the state fair.

It's Ice-T.

The only controversy was some journalist making a comment about it. There was ZERO public outcry. There was more outcry from the fair cancelling the band.

It looks like some government ninnys at the State Department of Agriculture are trying to out-woke the wokiest.

Country Band "Confederate Railroad" Booted From Illinois State Fair Over Name

Since they are a government entity, they are held to greater scrutiny than say a private theater would be when making content based decisions on who can play at a given event.

To their credit, they are asking the other groups invited to play NOT to boycott the event.

This will take a few sentences to round about to my point:

The Confederate imagery stuff is touchy. I figure any symbols of a country which was formed to continue enslaving others is going to be ridiculed. The Stars & Bars are a sign of the mentality of the Confederate elite.

I'm not totally crazy though with the band names and the old confederate air force name. Heck, I even rather like this song despite its "take your rebel heart" line. Girl at least makes videos with black guys so I'm gonna assume "rebel heart" isn't a reference to honor the slave owners of the old south.

To the point,

-if the Confederate Railroad guys can stand up and mention, "Hey, we donate our time to this that and this 'black' cause and Jim-bo here has a black wife, we're obviously not racists" or whatever then the state screwed up.

-if your new band, "NAZI Panzer Revolution" or "Stalin Purge" got turned down from playing at the state fair then you just might have to show how you aren't a NAZI or Commie or something.....

---------------------------- you just want the Band to do some Proper kowtowing and azz kissing eh Toronado ??

Yeah, if I name my band "Pol Pot's Henchmen" I should probably expect to explain myself a bit. Same with these Confederate fellows. Notice I didn't say they were racist pigs or anything. Just that some things need explaining.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't find something like that in the underground scene.

Sorry, but being slave owners in the mid 1800's does not equate with killing of 3 million or so of your own people to prove an economic and social point.

The other side doesn't want an explanation, they want us to shut up.

I'm not sure who "us" is in your statement.

If it makes you feel better I'm not a party member and my love of the military, the death penalty, social security. My self awareness and hatred of hypocrisy leave me siding with a reality where I believe a bunch of former slaves and the outcasts of Europe got together and created a superpower which helped defeat tyranny in the 20th century just a hundred years after evolving from slave holders and the virtual genocide out manifest destiny inflicted on the natives.

"Us" is anyone outside the progressive groupthink. They don't want to have a debate because they believe their positions are un-debatable.

It looks like some government ninnys at the State Department of Agriculture are trying to out-woke the wokiest.

"The Illinois Department of Agriculture has removed Confederate Railroad from our 2019 Du Quoin State Fair Grandstand lineup," said State Fair Manager Josh Gross, adding "While every artist has a right to expression, we believe this decision is in the best interest of serving all the people in our state."

Since they are a government entity, they are held to greater scrutiny than say a private theater would be when making content based decisions on who can play at a given event.

To their credit, they are asking the other groups invited to play NOT to boycott the event.
Fuck a bunch of yankee cocksuckers.

"The Illinois Department of Agriculture has removed Confederate Railroad from our 2019 Du Quoin State Fair Grandstand lineup," said State Fair Manager Josh Gross, adding "While every artist has a right to expression, we believe this decision is in the best interest of serving all the people in our state."

Fuck a bunch of yankee cocksuckers.

1865 bitch.

I've spent a lot of time in Southern Illinois, it's not exactly a forward thinking part of the country.

What's a Saluki?

Where are the apple knockers from and what did they do?

You have shown yourself to be a elitist pos...

Do I feel superior to you? Yes, yes I do.

HappyJoy I really feel sorry for you and your experiences you have had in life... I hope you never have to return to Southern Illinois again... And I am quite sure the good folks that live there and everywhere just like them wish only the best for you and yours...

C-ya at a Confederate Railroad concert...

xigqbXRiA.gif

I've spent a lot of time in Southern Illinois, it's not exactly a forward thinking part of the country.

What's a Saluki?

Where are the apple knockers from and what did they do?

You have shown yourself to be a elitist pos...

Do I feel superior to you? Yes, yes I do.

HappyJoy I really feel sorry for you and your experiences you have had in life... I hope you never have to return to Southern Illinois again... And I am quite sure the good folks that live there and everywhere just like them wish only the best for you and yours...

C-ya at a Confederate Railroad concert...

xigqbXRiA.gif

I've had a good life and plan to continue to do so. I don't feel superior to those in Southern Illinois, I was talking about you.

I don't believe it is just over the name. The band's logo displaying the Stars and Bars likely doesn't sit well in the Land of Lincoln, Union state.

This will take a few sentences to round about to my point:

The Confederate imagery stuff is touchy. I figure any symbols of a country which was formed to continue enslaving others is going to be ridiculed. The Stars & Bars are a sign of the mentality of the Confederate elite.

I'm not totally crazy though with the band names and the old confederate air force name. Heck, I even rather like this song despite its "take your rebel heart" line. Girl at least makes videos with black guys so I'm gonna assume "rebel heart" isn't a reference to honor the slave owners of the old south.

To the point,

-if the Confederate Railroad guys can stand up and mention, "Hey, we donate our time to this that and this 'black' cause and Jim-bo here has a black wife, we're obviously not racists" or whatever then the state screwed up.

-if your new band, "NAZI Panzer Revolution" or "Stalin Purge" got turned down from playing at the state fair then you just might have to show how you aren't a NAZI or Commie or something.....

---------------------------- you just want the Band to do some Proper kowtowing and azz kissing eh Toronado ??

Yeah, if I name my band "Pol Pot's Henchmen" I should probably expect to explain myself a bit. Same with these Confederate fellows. Notice I didn't say they were racist pigs or anything. Just that some things need explaining.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't find something like that in the underground scene.

Sorry, but being slave owners in the mid 1800's does not equate with killing of 3 million or so of your own people to prove an economic and social point.

If it makes you feel better I'm not a party member and my love of the military, the death penalty, social security. My self awareness and hatred of hypocrisy leave me siding with a reality where I believe a bunch of former slaves and the outcasts of Europe got together and created a superpower which helped defeat tyranny in the 20th century just a hundred years after evolving from slave holders and the virtual genocide out manifest destiny inflicted on the natives.

"Us" is anyone outside the progressive groupthink. They don't want to have a debate because they believe their positions are un-debatable.

Every loud mouth radio talk show host since Rush Limbaugh thinks their position is un-debatable and our President is kind of a "my way or back to your country" type of guy. That wins elections apparently so its a trend.

Every loud mouth radio talk show host since Rush Limbaugh thinks their position is un-debatable and our President is kind of a "my way or back to your country" type of guy. That wins elections apparently so its a trend.
-------------------------------- lets just hope that it works that way this coming election eh Toronado .

I don't believe it is just over the name. The band's logo displaying the Stars and Bars likely doesn't sit well in the Land of Lincoln, Union state.
----------------------------------- tough zhit . Free Speech in a FREE Country is my opinion '2Penny' .

How as Trump stopped anyone from speaking?

Denying a platform is a progressive thing these days.

Forum List

Back