Best US States to live in??

I am looking for an optimal mix of freedom and jobs.

North Dakota

How about freedom, jobs, and trees.....

Trees too. For sure.

I actually like the criteria that these guys at US States - Rate & Review Places at Rate A Place came up with:

• safety
  • civil liberties
  • economy
  • infrastructure
  • recreation
  • affordability

That's a pretty detailed approach. I wish what all of you have written here could have been summarized at a rating site like that.

I may actually write about New York State there. Anyone wants to join the effort?

Well, do come out and visit Oregon. Just don't stay. You won't like it here.

The one thing I did not like about Oregon is the Welcome Signs. They sort of imply Welcome, have a nice visit, don't forget to leave". :lol: Love the Coast. :):):)

I visited Oregon a couple summers ago. Beautiful place. The only funny thing was they wouldn't let me pump my own gas, they had to do it for me. Said it was for my own safety, like we were fueling the Space Shuttle or something. Weird.

New Jersey is the same way.
And they charge a quarter more a gallon to do it.
That is what the law is about there, they con folks into believing it is a safety issue.
Protectionism of obsolete jobs.
Consumers be damned.
We let you pump your own gas here and you save a ton.

Upper NY state is beautiful and rural. Ticonderoga on Lake George, man that is a great place to vacation in June. And the Hudson river valley across from Poughkeepsie is awesome.
All about the people, many places in NY state are rural and beautiful.

south Louisiana always seems to be able to withstand whatever economic shitstorms may be happening elsewhere...

plus our cuisine is to die for... and the local dancin' music'll add another 10 years to your life... :)

Try building a fence, replacing a hot water heater, or a window.

Oh my god!

Building codes......Where is Martin Luther King when ya need him?

I thought you were free, to do what you want, any old time.

I can build a fence, install a hot water heater or replace a window without any government interference.

That's freedom brother.

Here, my rights only end where yours begin.

There, your rights end wherever the government tells you they end.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVGf3ePIO04]Soup Dragons - "I'm Free" - YouTube[/ame]

My how our standards have changed

There was a time when freedom meant fighting for the right to vote, fighting for the right to go anywhere you want, fighting for equal justice

Now conservative complain a about their loss of freedom because they cant put in a water heater without having it inspected

I don't think its so much the state you live in.

As long as you don't live in a city, you can find that slice of happiness and not have to worry about making a wrong turn or being in the wrong hood

Well, doesn't the state law matter. My impression is that places like California, Washington, and Oregon should be taken off the list entirely, no mater which city you choose. Am I wrong to think so?

if you are looking for happiness based on politics, there's maps on the internet that will tell you what states voted for obama or not.

plus being away from the cities gets you closer to more freedom loving people.

The one thing I did not like about Oregon is the Welcome Signs. They sort of imply Welcome, have a nice visit, don't forget to leave". :lol: Love the Coast. :):):)

I visited Oregon a couple summers ago. Beautiful place. The only funny thing was they wouldn't let me pump my own gas, they had to do it for me. Said it was for my own safety, like we were fueling the Space Shuttle or something. Weird.

That is what the law is about there, they con folks into believing it is a safety issue.
Consumers be damned.

They have tried to change the law in NJ to allow you to pump your own gas. It fails every time. I saw what happened in NY when they put in self serve. You save five cents a gallon and eventually that savings disappears as gas prices rise and fall. NJ has the cheapest gas in the region right now. I would just as soon have them pump it

North Dakota

How about freedom, jobs, and trees.....

Trees too. For sure.

I actually like the criteria that these guys at US States - Rate & Review Places at Rate A Place came up with:

• safety
  • civil liberties
  • economy
  • infrastructure
  • recreation
  • affordability

That's a pretty detailed approach. I wish what all of you have written here could have been summarized at a rating site like that.

I may actually write about New York State there. Anyone wants to join the effort?

It is hard to say what state or city is best. What is best is what is best for you

If you love to fish.......you need to be near the water
If you love to ski......you need cold weather and mountains
If you love to golf... You need lots of quality courses and good weather
If you love arts and culture.....you need a major city

But most people just want to live near friends and family in surroundings they are familiar with

New York State has long been the wrong place for a conservative to live in. But where can I move? I need to move to a state with maximum liberties and yet with vibrant economy and infrastructure.

I did some researching online, but to no avail. There's a state reviews website at US States - Rate & Review Places at Rate A Place, but it looks like a new website and, despite a good approach, there are no ratings/reviews.

So what do you think are the top states from such prospective? :confused:

There are millions of New York transplants in Florida. No state TAx. Climate is good, No worries about burning coal to stay warm. Beaches, fishing, shopping, and alligators. What more could you ask for?

What is it that you want to do that NY is prevevnting you from doing?

It's liberal shit hole number 1. Nanny state. An utter pile of Yankee crap. I saw some data on the worst states to live in terms of freedom and NY was the worst followed by that shit stain New Jersey if I remember correctly.

Interesting labels... any REAL reasons?

New York State has long been the wrong place for a conservative to live in. But where can I move? I need to move to a state with maximum liberties and yet with vibrant economy and infrastructure.

I did some researching online, but to no avail. There's a state reviews website at US States - Rate & Review Places at Rate A Place, but it looks like a new website and, despite a good approach, there are no ratings/reviews.

There are millions of New York transplants in Florida. No state TAx. Climate is good, No worries about burning coal to stay warm. Beaches, fishing, shopping, and alligators. What more could you ask for?

Sounds wonderful, the only things Florida appears to be lacking are mosquitoes the size of pterodactyls and hurricanes. :D

The best state to live in is the state you love best. You take yourself with you wherever you go so if you are a miserable fck you will be a miserable fck in Heaven (Malibu, CA) or Hell (any democrat-run state). You make your own happiness. It is not determined by your state but rather your state of mind.

I have lived in both Iowa and Pennsylvania. If you want to find a good place to live, seek such a place as far away from both of these states that you can possibly get!

not to vote democrat :D

Consumers be damned.

They have tried to change the law in NJ to allow you to pump your own gas. It fails every time. I saw what happened in NY when they put in self serve. You save five cents a gallon and eventually that savings disappears as gas prices rise and fall. NJ has the cheapest gas in the region right now. I would just as soon have them pump it

What are you paying for regular there?

Forum List

Back