🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Bill Cosby

It's only in the last 2 years that I've begun to fully appreciate what the term "rape culture" fully entails.

I dodged and deflected until I had to admit to myself, in the face of new information, that I was dodging and deflecting good information. 10 years ago, when another woman would come forward about the Cos, my knee-jerk reaction was, "Probably out to get money, or at least sully the man's reputation". I now know that that statement is symptomatic of what "rape culture" is all about. That's because I've learned that that statement really has no basis in fact.

For every 100 allegations of assault/rape, somewhere between 2 and 5 of them will turn up to be false allegations. The greatest occurrence of false allegations of assault/rape happen in custody battles.

When I learned this information, my immediate reaction use to be to prop up those instances when we learned of a high profile case in which a woman was lying, like the Duke Lacrosse team fiasco. But statistically speaking, that story is one of the 2 to 5 that end up not checking out in favor of the accused.

When it comes to just basic math, if Bill Cosby has 15 women in total accusing him of slipping them molly and taking advantage of them, there's about a 50/50 chance that 1 woman might just be lying.

The psychology of victims is very similar. Particularly when it comes to predators who are rich and powerful men. The victim just crawls up inside of themselves and suppresses the information because who the hell is going to believe them, right? They're embarrassed and ashamed and angry at themselves for feeling like they did something wrong to get themselves in that situation. They're afraid to come forward because of shame and many who do come forward are not believed or simply ignored. I feel for that woman who came out this past week to explain her side of the story in the early 70's when Cosby took a shine to her. He knew her threw her agent. When she told her agent what he'd done, her agent, a woman, basically told her to shut up about it.

Bill Cosby has been an American legend in my eyes practically my whole life. As kids we all watched Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor for the cussing, but we watched Cosby's stand-up in order to bust our guts laughing.

I've ignored things for too long and it's time now to evolve on the matter and realize that the man's past has now finally caught up with him.

To believe in some grand conspiracy between 15 women who never previously knew each other is a real stretch. In fact, it's unprecedented. Their stories are compelling and specific. They are now in middle-age, that time in life when it starts to become easier as a person to come to terms with things and to bring them to the surface and deal with them. It works precisely the same way with child victims of abuse. For decades, boys grew into men who were able to process and understand what had actually happened to them and finally shed the guilt that had come with thinking it was their fault for a long time that they had been raped.

We should listen to these women and encourage all of them to come forward and be heard. Our courts make it almost impossible to convict predators because assault isn't always something that can be physically proven. Imagine how depressing that would be to be physically violated in a way that all you have left is your word? It drives some victims to suicide.

But just because our courts don't work well for the victims of assault and rape, it doesn't mean that it's not happening out there. The best step to take is to create an environment that encourages victims to speak out in a safe way, but that can only happen when we start to make ourselves more aware of the stigma we seem to have burned in our subconscious, based on no good information, that says we should be suspicious of our women. The two things that really burn victims of rape is when family members, friends or the authorities ask them, "Well, what were you wearing?" or "Were you drunk?". What those questions imply goes straight to the heart of what rape culture is all about. Those are not pertinent questions. In fact, they're insulting.

This doesn't look good for Bill Cosby. Taking a wait-and-see attitude is simply a dodge or a deflection.

Last edited:
It's only in the last 2 years that I've begun to fully appreciate what the term "rape culture" fully entails.

I dodged and deflected until I had to admit to myself, in the face of new information, that I was dodging and deflecting good information. 10 years ago, when another woman would come forward about the Cos, my knee-jerk reaction was, "Probably out to get money, or at least sully the man's reputation". I now know that that statement is symptomatic of what "rape culture" is all about. That's because I've learned that that statement really has no basis in fact.

For every 100 allegations of assault/rape, somewhere between 2 and 5 of them will turn up to be false allegations. The greatest occurrence of false allegations of assault/rape happen in custody battles.

When I learned this information, my immediate reaction use to be to prop up those instances when we learned of a high profile case in which a woman was lying, like the Duke Lacrosse team fiasco. But statistically speaking, that story is one of the 2 to 5 that end up not checking out in favor of the accused.

When it comes to just basic math, if Bill Cosby has 15 women in total accusing him of slipping them molly and taking advantage of them, there's about a 50/50 chance that 1 woman just might be lying.

The psychology of victims is very similar. Particularly when it comes to predators who are rich and powerful men. The victim just crawls up inside of themselves and suppresses the information because who the hell is going to believe them, right? They're embarrassed and ashamed and angry at themselves for feeling like they did something wrong to get themselves in that situation. They're afraid to come forward because of shame and many who do come forward are not believed or simply ignored. I really feel that woman who came out this past week to explain her side of the story in the early 70's when Cosby took a shine to her. He knew her threw his agent. When she told her agent what he'd done, her agent, a woman, basically told her to shut up about it.

Bill Cosby has been an American legend in my eyes practically my whole life. As kids we all watched Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor for the cussing, but we watched Cosby's stand-up in order to bust a gut laughing.

I've ignored things for too long and it's time now to evolve on the matter and realize that the man's past has now finally caught up with him.

To believe in some grand conspiracy between 15 women who never previously knew each other is a real stretch. In fact, it's unprecedented. Their stories are compelling and specific. They are now in middle-age, that time in life when it starts to become easier as a person to come to terms with things and to bring them to the surface and deal with them. It works precisely the same way with child victims of abuse. For decades, boys grew into men who were able to process and understand what had actually happened to them and finally shed the guilt that had come with thinking it was their fault for a long time that they had been raped.

We should listen to these women and encourage all of them to come forward and be heard. Our courts make it almost impossible to convict predators because assault isn't always something that can be physically proven. Imagine how depressing that would be to be physically violated in a way that all you have left is your word? It drives some victims to suicide.

But just because our courts don't work well for the victims of assault and rape, it doesn't mean that it's not happening out there. The best step to take is to create an environment that encourages victims to speak out in a safe way, but that can only happen when we start to make ourselves more aware of the stigma we seem to have burned in our subconscious, based on no good information, that says we should be suspicious of our women. The two things that really burn victims of rape is when family members, friends or the authorities ask them, "Well, what were you wearing?" or "Were you drunk?". What those questions imply goes straight to the heart of what rape culture is all about. Those are not pertinent questions. In fact, they're insulting.

This doesn't look good for Bill Cosby. Taking a wait-and-see attitude is simply a dodge or a deflection.

good grief, can you make your point with less words?

When it comes to just basic math, if Bill Cosby has 15 women in total accusing him of slipping them molly and taking advantage of them, there's about a 50/50 chance that 1 woman might just be lying.

The psychology of victims is very similar. Particularly when it comes to predators who are rich and powerful men. The victim just crawls up inside of themselves and suppresses the information because who the hell is going to believe them, right? They're embarrassed and ashamed and angry at themselves for feeling like they did something wrong to get themselves in that situation. They're afraid to come forward because of shame and many who do come forward are not believed or simply ignored. I feel for that woman who came out this past week to explain her side of the story in the early 70's when Cosby took a shine to her. He knew her threw her agent. When she told her agent what he'd done, her agent, a woman, basically told her to shut up about it.

Bill Cosby has been an American legend in my eyes practically my whole life. As kids we all watched Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor for the cussing, but we watched Cosby's stand-up in order to bust our guts laughing.

People should not be tried in the media. If there is something to this, it should be dealt with in the courts. Trying people in the media is unacceptable. As a professional, you should know that. Shame on you.

People should not be tried in the media. If there is something to this, it should be dealt with in the courts. Trying people in the media is unacceptable. As a professional, you should know that. Shame on you.

Now I have to go and agree with you. which is rare...lol
good post.

Esmie is great in putting her opinions forth without insulting those she is discussing topics with. Unless ya piss her off. :D

I would say, if I were he and these accusations were unfounded and untrue, I would take the stance that they are not worthy of recognition or response. I would not get all riled up and make a big public issue out of something that is a completely false allegation. If you do so, you are simple feeding into the hands of those trying to destroy you.

The fact that he is accused of drugging them and then assaulting them makes it even more unbelieveable to me. If he is so important and powerful a figure in their eyes, why would he need to drug women in order to have sex with them? I imagine lots of women would be willing. Back in the 80s he was stil good looking, and young women would be more likely to be throwing themselves at him in order to get parts. All of these women were in show business.

Last edited:
Esmie is great in putting her opinions forth without insulting those she is discussing topics with. Unless ya piss her off. :D

Well I sure didn't like her post in the thread on the homosexual country signer. I found it offensive, ugly and just downright mean. here it is.

Conservative right wing Christians are going to have to delete him from the list of acceptable human beings.

Well I sure didn't like her post in the thread on the homosexual country signer. I found it offensive, ugly and just downright mean. here it is.

Conservative right wing Christians are going to have to delete him from the list of acceptable human beings.
That's because you don't pick up on satire and irony. It's too subtle for you maybe.

I dunno, hon. This one makes me weave one way, then another. Not sure WHAT to believe half the time. I guess it all lands on Cosby's head and what HE does about it..if anything. As stated..there is no proof. None. Just their word against his. What sucks is...all it takes is one kid..one pissed off mom divorcing dad...and a finger pointed at someone to say "touched me" or "raped me" and that's all she wrote, so to speak. The accused is automatically guilty. Forever. Remember that case..McMartin or something. THAT was a witch hunt. All accused were burned at the proverbial stake.
Yes, I remember McMartin. There was also a case in Western Washington that I read about where parents went to jail for years, only to be vindicated and freed after losing their kids and spending years in jail.

All it takes is an accusation. I find it hard to believe Cosby could stand so stridently for one thing and actually live a directly opposite lifestyle without it becoming public until decades later.
What you mean like Jimmy Savile did?
BBC News - Jimmy Savile Catholic Church bid to remove papal knighthood

They waited for the same reason some women never speak up - the shame, the fear, and the belief that no one will believe them. If they were children, they will think that they won't be believed because its a child's word against an adults - and if that adult is someone in the public eye, they are even less likely to come forward, because such allegations will make the media, and fans of said person in public eye, and the media, will delve into the accusers past and ruin them.
There is safety in numbers - they came forward as a group, one after another. This is a form of protection.

I believe them.
I don't know if it's true or not but why do you say none of them felt they would be believed? I think it had more to do with hush money.

Hmm I wonder why. Maybe because these stories are littered with various comments like 'the final incident occurred', 'during the second occasion', 'After I mixed the pills and alcohol', 'Over several weeks', 'Over several years', 'In one incident when I came to', 'It happened multiple times', etc. etc.

wrong Savile molested men, women and children, some were even dead so there is time for Cosby.
Do you call an 18yrs old a child?
Savile Molested Teen During Top Of The Pops
Well, I don't know the specifics of what he did, but I believe he has been tried in the courts, so there is evidence of what he did, enough evidence to convict him in a court of law. If there is evidence to convict Cosby, then they should do the same, take it to the court and have him tried by the law of the land not in the public media. I think trying and convicting people it the media is completely abhorent.

wrong Savile molested men, women and children, some were even dead so there is time for Cosby.
Do you call an 18yrs old a child?
Savile Molested Teen During Top Of The Pops
Well, I don't know the specifics of what he did, but I believe he has been tried in the courts, so there is evidence of what he did, enough evidence to convict him in a court of law. If there is evidence to convict Cosby, then they should do the same, take it to the court and have him tried by the law of the land not in the public media. I think trying and convicting people it the media is completely abhorent.
Wrong Savile was dead before any of these stories became mainstream.
Will justice finally be served for Jimmy Savile 8217 s victims - Salon.com

you voted for Nixon?

you voted for Nixon?
I have never voted for a Republican candidate.

As well, I remember the Watergate hearings being on TV for weeks and weeks. His behavior was analyzed by congressional hearings.

you voted for Nixon?
I have never voted for a Republican candidate.

As well, I remember the Watergate hearings being on TV for weeks and weeks. His behavior was analyzed by congressional hearings.
who broke watergate?

Why are you being so annoying? Watergate and Nixon, no matter who brought it to our attention, were dealt with by Congress, according to the law of the land. Your posting is childish and annoying, and extremely tiresome. I will no longer respond to any of your posts. Grow the fuck up.

Forum List

Back