🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Botched Oklahoma Execution

It costs more to kill them, than to house them for life.

I hear this all the time....HOW? Logically it's IMPOSSIBLE, especially if the scum is kept alive, fed, housed, clothed, guarded, etc. for 25-50 years!

It costs more to prosecute, and to defend, a death penalty case. Then you have mandatory appeals, special housing and transportation, higher pay for the guards, extra medical expanses as a result of the stress for those guards. and numerous other factors. There are numerous studies that lay out the particulars.

Costs of the Death Penalty | Death Penalty Information Center

QW see the ABOVE!!!!

This is what it costs in Kansas, but it should give you an idea of how the money spent in death (and non-death) penalty cases is:
The appeals process is where it gets costly.

Easy answer, you have 1 year for appeal, after that, you're either freed, or die! The APPEAL SYSTEM, is WELFARE FOR LAWYERS! TIME limit it, and POOF, your costs go away! Back in the 1920's it took no longer than 18 months on an appeal!

You used the wrong word, that is a stupid answer.

Only if you're a LIAR...er...LAWYER!

Boo f---ing who for this animal....

He should have considered the consequences of his actions like a human would, beforehand...

Justice wAs to kind....

As far as the womanly moral pretensions, forgive him...then execute him.

I wonder how many complain about the cost of having a baby given up at birth as a drain on our financial system, also complain about the cost of keeping a murderer incarcerated for life, some 50 years or longer?

I hear this all the time....HOW? Logically it's IMPOSSIBLE, especially if the scum is kept alive, fed, housed, clothed, guarded, etc. for 25-50 years!

It's not impossible - it is true. Just because you don't know enough to understand how, doesn't make it untrue.

Death and Taxes: The Real Cost of the Death Penalty - Forbes

As mentioned, the guy shot some poor 19yr old girl with a shotgun and then watched as she was buried alive. He didnt get the death penalty for over due book at the library. He deserved much worse. This is how society takes out its trash. And there's a lot of trash piled up.

I wonder how many complain about the cost of having a baby given up at birth as a drain on our financial system, also complain about the cost of keeping a murderer incarcerated for life, some 50 years or longer?

You do realize that on average, it costs more to execute a murderer than it does to keep him in prison for the rest of his life, correct?

Already answered, but for those that don't read...CUT the appeals TIME down to 1 year...STOP LAWYER WELFARE!!! this is what the ASSES put in to make it look like it costs MORE to kill the scum! TORT REFORM is needed in ALL ASPECTS of LAWYER WELFARE!

As it stands, about 4% of the people we execute are not guilty of the crimes we execute them for. Every layer of review that you remove increases that percentage - so what is your acceptable percentage?

There is no practical argument that favors continuing the death penalty. But there is a strong emotional one: Vengeance. Many people whose lives have been ripped apart by having a loved one murdered want that vengeance. That counts for something imho.

There is no practical argument that favors continuing the death penalty. But there is a strong emotional one: Vengeance. Many people whose lives have been ripped apart by having a loved one murdered want that vengeance. That counts for something imho.

That is not true, any of it. The death penalty has a deterrent effect. This has been demonstrated. But the less it is inflicted and the more time it takes between finding of guilt/sentencing and carry it out the less effective it is.

An Oklahoma inmate died Tuesday evening of an apparent heart attack after authorities botched the delivery of drugs and stopped his execution.

Another execution scheduled for the same day was postponed.

Convicted murderer Clayton Lockett was sedated and then given the second and third drugs in the protocol, Oklahoma Department of Corrections Director Robert Patton told reporters.

"There was some concern at that time that the drugs were not having the effect, so the doctor observed the line and determined that the line had blown," he said.

When asked what he meant by "blown," Patton said that Lockett's vein had "exploded."
Botched execution in Oklahoma

"I notified the attorney general's office, the governor's office of my intent to stop the execution and requested a stay for 14 days for the second execution scheduled this afternoon," said Patton, referring to the execution of Charles Warner.

Lockett later suffered what appeared to be a heart attack and died, the director said.

Gov. Mary Fallin issued an executive order granting a stay for Warner and ordered an investigation.

Barbaric. I don't necessarily feel bad for the criminal although a recent study said on average 4 percent of death row inmates are innocent. I feel sorry for us as a society. The murder of a human being that has been removed as a threat from society is simply barbaric and unnecessary. I used to be pro death penalty when I was a teenager because I never really put much thought into it.

A man was sentenced to die, he died. Nothing was botched.

It's not impossible - it is true. Just because you don't know enough to understand how, doesn't make it untrue.

Death and Taxes: The Real Cost of the Death Penalty - Forbes

Again, for those who don't want to hear the truth, or simply are against killing killers, it's simply the COST of lawyers, paperwork, and assorted BULLSHIT that can be, and was eliminated back in the 1920's when if you were convicted of killing someone, you were DEAD within 18 months, all appeals exhausted! Now, we can hold it all off for 25+ years, taking appeals all the way to the SCOTUS! It's now put on hold for such things as what's in the injection, and have "SCIENTISTS" on both side argue if this is HUMANE or not! We've let LAWYER WELFARE get out of hand, as it has with medical malpractice!

That is not true, any of it. The death penalty has a deterrent effect. This has been demonstrated. But the less it is inflicted and the more time it takes between finding of guilt/sentencing and carry it out the less effective it is.

No credible evidence on whether death penalty deters, experts say - The Denver Post

Many studies have been conducted. This is just one report among many. There is no credible evidence that the death penalty is a deterrent. For it to be an effective deterrent, it would have to be swift and certain.

The more swift we make it - the more layers of reviews we remove - then the more people we are going to execute who are not guilty of the crime we are executing them for. So for it to be an effective deterrent, we would have to be willing to execute a lot of not guilty people.

You do realize that on average, it costs more to execute a murderer than it does to keep him in prison for the rest of his life, correct?

Already answered, but for those that don't read...CUT the appeals TIME down to 1 year...STOP LAWYER WELFARE!!! this is what the ASSES put in to make it look like it costs MORE to kill the scum! TORT REFORM is needed in ALL ASPECTS of LAWYER WELFARE!

As it stands, about 4% of the people we execute are not guilty of the crimes we execute them for. Every layer of review that you remove increases that percentage - so what is your acceptable percentage?

In todays range of DNA evidence, that figure is misleading, at best! And, what are you going to do? Hundreds of thousands of people are KILLED or seriously injured every year driving a car....shall we BAN CARS? THAT will stop auto deaths! Life's a bitch, and if your innocent, prove it, or face the consequences!

In todays range of DNA evidence, that figure is misleading, at best! And, what are you going to do? Hundreds of thousands of people are KILLED or seriously injured every year driving a car....shall we BAN CARS? THAT will stop auto deaths! Life's a bitch, and if your innocent, prove it, or face the consequences!

Guilty until proven innocent is not how we conduct our legal system.
There is a difference between dying in an accident and having the government take your life on purpose. But I think even you know that.

Last edited:

Guilty until proven innocent is not how we conduct our legal system.

That's why they WERE JUDGED GUILTY before the death sentence!

Where'd you get the 4% from? No dingbat sites please.

I don't discount the value of giving people the satisfaction of seeing the killer of their loved one die. It isn't going to being their loved one back, but it may make them feel better. That alone (imho) makes the death penalty a viable option.

But other justifications for the death penalty have no logic or evidence to support them.

First, let me say that I am opposed to capital punishment.

The alternative, which would be far more effective, far more deterrent and far more just would be a life sentence with hard labor.

Hard labor, 12 hours a day, and if you don't work, you don't eat.

Cruel and unusual? Not as cruel as the crime which earned the sentence, and it is a pity and it is sad that it would be considered unusual.

assuming the DP is legal, which it still is, what I don't understand is this. We have hundreds, if not thousands, of people dying in home hospice care weekly. When they say their discomfort is no longer bearable, the hospice nurse just gives them a shot of morphine that ends it. Why all this mysterious drug cocktail stuff?

Forum List

Back