🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Botched Oklahoma Execution

I wonder how many complain about the cost of having a baby given up at birth as a drain on our financial system, also complain about the cost of keeping a murderer incarcerated for life, some 50 years or longer?

You do realize that on average, it costs more to execute a murderer than it does to keep him in prison for the rest of his life, correct?

An Oklahoma inmate died Tuesday evening of an apparent heart attack after authorities botched the delivery of drugs and stopped his execution.

Another execution scheduled for the same day was postponed.

Convicted murderer Clayton Lockett was sedated and then given the second and third drugs in the protocol, Oklahoma Department of Corrections Director Robert Patton told reporters.

"There was some concern at that time that the drugs were not having the effect, so the doctor observed the line and determined that the line had blown," he said.

When asked what he meant by "blown," Patton said that Lockett's vein had "exploded."
Botched execution in Oklahoma

"I notified the attorney general's office, the governor's office of my intent to stop the execution and requested a stay for 14 days for the second execution scheduled this afternoon," said Patton, referring to the execution of Charles Warner.

Lockett later suffered what appeared to be a heart attack and died, the director said.

Gov. Mary Fallin issued an executive order granting a stay for Warner and ordered an investigation.

Barbaric. I don't necessarily feel bad for the criminal although a recent study said on average 4 percent of death row inmates are innocent. I feel sorry for us as a society. The murder of a human being that has been removed as a threat from society is simply barbaric and unnecessary. I used to be pro death penalty when I was a teenager because I never really put much thought into it.

What makes you think that a person imprisoned, is "removed as a threat from society" ?

What makes you think that prison isn't a bigger threat to society than a few nut jobs?

I wonder how many complain about the cost of having a baby given up at birth as a drain on our financial system, also complain about the cost of keeping a murderer incarcerated for life, some 50 years or longer?

I wonder how many people who say stupid shit like this factor in the fact that killing someone costs more than keeping them in prison for 50 years.

An Oklahoma inmate died Tuesday evening of an apparent heart attack after authorities botched the delivery of drugs and stopped his execution.

Convicted murderer Clayton Lockett was sedated and then given the second and third drugs in the protocol, Oklahoma Department of Corrections Director Robert Patton told reporters.

"There was some concern at that time that the drugs were not having the effect, so the doctor observed the line and determined that the line had blown," he said.

When asked what he meant by "blown," Patton said that Lockett's vein had "exploded."

"I notified the attorney general's office, the governor's office of my intent to stop the execution and requested a stay for 14 days for the second execution scheduled this afternoon," said Patton, referring to the execution of Charles Warner.

Lockett later suffered what appeared to be a heart attack and died, the director said.

Gov. Mary Fallin issued an executive order granting a stay for Warner and ordered an investigation.

Barbaric. I don't necessarily feel bad for the criminal although a recent study said on average 4 percent of death row inmates are innocent. I feel sorry for us as a society. The murder of a human being that has been removed as a threat from society is simply barbaric and unnecessary. I used to be pro death penalty when I was a teenager because I never really put much thought into it.

WTF? They fuck up an execution and decide to try again? Whoever is in charge should be fired.
Better yet, how about no executions?

It costs more to kill them, than to house them for life.

I hear this all the time....HOW? Logically it's IMPOSSIBLE, especially if the scum is kept alive, fed, housed, clothed, guarded, etc. for 25-50 years!

It costs more to prosecute, and to defend, a death penalty case. Then you have mandatory appeals, special housing and transportation, higher pay for the guards, extra medical expanses as a result of the stress for those guards. and numerous other factors. There are numerous studies that lay out the particulars.

Costs of the Death Penalty | Death Penalty Information Center

I hear this all the time....HOW? Logically it's IMPOSSIBLE, especially if the scum is kept alive, fed, housed, clothed, guarded, etc. for 25-50 years!
This is what it costs in Kansas, but it should give you an idea of how the money spent in death (and non-death) penalty cases is:
Financial Facts About the Death Penalty

Defending a death penalty case costs about four times as much as defending a case where the death penalty is not sought, according to a new study by the Kansas Judicial Council.

Examining 34 potential death-penalty cases from 2004-2011, the study found that defense costs for death penalty trials averaged $395,762 per case, compared to $98,963 per case when the death penalty was not sought.

Costs incurred by the trial court showed a similar disparity: $72,530 for cases with the death penalty; $21,554 for those without.

Even in cases that ended in a guilty plea and did not go to trial, cases where the death penalty was sought incurred about twice the costs for both defense ($130,595 v. $64,711) and courts ($16,263 v. $7,384), compared to cases where death was not sought.

The time spent on death cases was also much higher.

Jury trials averaged 40.13 days in cases where the death penalty was being sought, but only 16.79 days when it was not an option.

Justices of the Kansas Supreme Court assigned to write opinions estimated they spent 20 times more hours on death penalty appeals than on non-death appeals.

The Department of Corrections said housing prisoners on death row cost more than twice as much per year ($49,380) as for prisoners in the general population ($24,690).
The appeals process is where it gets costly.

Easy answer, you have 1 year for appeal, after that, you're either freed, or die! The APPEAL SYSTEM, is WELFARE FOR LAWYERS! TIME limit it, and POOF, your costs go away! Back in the 1920's it took no longer than 18 months on an appeal!

You used the wrong word, that is a stupid answer.

Since you brought God into it, the bible DOES say that "vengeance is mine says the Lord."

Being a Christian isn't easy.

It's not just words and something nice to say, but not to practice.

It's actually a lifestyle we have to live, in private as well as in public.

We have to be able to turn the other cheek.

Most people can't.

That's why Scripture states that the road to heaven is windy and narrow, but the road to hell is wide and straight.

What path are you taking?
Interesting that those who are most religious prefer torturing and killing other humans.
That's the biggest problem with Christianity today.

Those professing to be Christians are largely hypocrites.

It was the major problem of Jesus' time and it's still the major problem of today.

Many don't realize when they're being hypocritical, just like the Pharisees, because they're self-righteous. This is why Jesus had a parable with the statement "take the BEAM out of your own eye, before you seek to remove the TWIG in your neighbor's."

Those crucial words are still VERY RELEVANT today.

Personally, I think the biggest problem with Christianity today is the scumbags who think they can dictate what other people believe.

In case you missed the point, I am referring to you, and I oppose the death penalty. In other words, even when I agree with your goals, your methods are still wrong. I also remember you never actually dealing with the specific Scripture I pointed to to prove that you should keep your mouth shut about telling other people how they are supposed to approach God. Not that I ever expected you to actually do so, but I like to point it out for the idiots that think you have the moral high ground.

Last edited:

One would think so.

The bizarre irony of the states’ attempt at a more ‘humane’ form of execution.

No it isn't, it is the result of activists pressuring drug companies not to provide states with the specific drug cocktail that is used in executions.

Warner's attorney, Madeline Cohen, said that further legal action can be expected given how "something went horribly awry" Tuesday.

"Oklahoma cannot carry out further executions until there's transparency in this process," Cohen said. "...I think they should all be looking at themselves hard. Oklahoma needs to take a step back."

How fucking DARE he?? Warner, the man who's execution has been pushed back, is convicted of raping and murdering his girlfriend's 11-month-old daughter. A baby. And his scumbag lawyer is going to preach to US?? Tell Oklahomans that we need to do some soul-searching because his soulless client wants "transparency?"

Go. Fuck. Your. Self.

Same kinds of crimes on them, really? They over dose these killers that cut up, shoot, bludgeon usually innocent people with sedatives. They just drift off to sleep, one guy in TX actually started snoring before he died. So don't tell me we inflict the same crimes on them, just shows your ignorance or your refusal to face facts.
How about this fact?

Name one rich guy that was ever given the death penalty?

Saddam Hussein

Dead is dead. Capital punishment works every time.

Same kinds of crimes on them, really? They over dose these killers that cut up, shoot, bludgeon usually innocent people with sedatives. They just drift off to sleep, one guy in TX actually started snoring before he died. So don't tell me we inflict the same crimes on them, just shows your ignorance or your refusal to face facts.
How about this fact?

Name one rich guy that was ever given the death penalty?
Scott Peterson, who was able to afford Marc Geragos, arguably the best trial lawyer in the country.

Settle down and consider it part of God's plan...what goes around comes around, and it still doesn't compare to what was suffered by the true victims in all of this, Stephanie and her family.
Since you brought God into it, the bible DOES say that "vengeance is mine says the Lord."

Being a Christian isn't easy.

It's not just words and something nice to say, but not to practice.

It's actually a lifestyle we have to live, in private as well as in public.

We have to be able to turn the other cheek.

Most people can't.

That's why Scripture states that the road to heaven is windy and narrow, but the road to hell is wide and straight.

What path are you taking?
Interesting that those who are most religious prefer torturing and killing other humans.
Our penal system doesn't torture people to death. Shit happens.

You do realize that on average, it costs more to execute a murderer than it does to keep him in prison for the rest of his life, correct?

Already answered, but for those that don't read...CUT the appeals TIME down to 1 year...STOP LAWYER WELFARE!!! this is what the ASSES put in to make it look like it costs MORE to kill the scum! TORT REFORM is needed in ALL ASPECTS of LAWYER WELFARE!

Forum List

Back