Race – Civil Rights Act of 1964
Color – Civil Rights Act of 1964
Religion – Civil Rights Act of 1964
National origin – Civil Rights Act of 1964
Age (40 and over) – Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967
Sex – Equal Pay Act of 1963 and Civil Rights Act of 1964
Pregnancy – Pregnancy Discrimination Act
Citizenship – Immigration Reform and Control Act
Familial status – Civil Rights Act of 1968 Title VIII: Housing cannot discriminate for having children, with an exception for senior housing
Disability status – Vocational Rehabilitation and Other Rehabilitation Services of 1973 and Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990
Veteran status – Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 and Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act
Genetic information – Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act

Oh you mean these "protected qualifiers" - they aren't in the Constitution?

BTW - Check Romer v. Evans, Colorado tried to pass discriminatory law against homosexuals. How'd that work out?

>>>>

I am not certain not being in the Constitution makes them less law.

Didn't say they were any less the law. The 14th doesn't say "A subset of persons identified in other statutory law...", it says "All persons".

Windsor could have been a shut and close case due to Romer.

Not realy. Romer was a case about State law enacted (via referendum) to remove Due Process from a class of persons. DOMA was a Federal law. Romer had no bearing on Windsor.

However Windsor affirmed the right to determine marriage is the purview of the State.

No it didn't. It affirmed that if States say "Yes" to Same-sex Civil Marriage then it is unconstitutional for the Federal government to say know with the intent to discriminate against homosexuals. It did not address whether it was constitutional for the States to say "No". That will be a different case.

This is the same opinion expressed by the Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court in his writings on the Windsor decision:

"But while I disagree with the result to which the majority’s analysis
leads it in this case, I think it more important to point out that its
analysis leads no further. The Court does not have before it, and
the logic of its opinion does not decide, the distinct question whether
the States, in the exercise of their “historic and essential authority
to define the marital relation,” ante, at 18, may continue to utilize
the traditional definition of marriage."​

However Windsor affirmed the right to determine marriage is the purview of the State.

Within, to quote the decision, the confines of "Constitutional guarantees". If marriage was totally within the purview of the States, then the Loving decision would have been ruled in favor of the States that barred interracial marriage.

But the ruling was against the States.

Unlike some, I don't claim to know how the SCOTUS will rule once they decide to take a case. DOMA wasn't the case and they punted on the Prop 8 case even after submitting the question on "standing" to the California Supreme Court and then ignoring their response (i.e. proponents did have standing).

Personally I don't think the court wants to take a SSCM case yet, they want it to peculate for a few more years so that more states can reverse their decade old actions on Marriage Equality. Quite a few gains were made in 2012 and 2013 and it looks like there will be two more states with SSCM on the ballot in 2014 (possibly Indiana & Ohio).

We can pretty much guess that Breyer, Sotomayor, Kegan, and Ginsburg would vote to support Marriage Equality. Roberts, Alito, Scalia, and Thomas would vote against. That leave, as is often the case, Kennedy as the swing vote. He was the Justice that wrote the Lawrence decision (Sodomy laws are unconstitutional), the Romer decision (States can remove equal protections from homosexuals overturning the Bowers decision), and he wrote the Windsor decision stating "The federal statute is invalid, for no legitimate purpose overcomes the purpose and effect to disparage and injure those whom the State, by its marriage laws, sought to protect in personhood and dignity. By seeking to displace this protection and treating those persons as living in marriages less respected than others, the federal statute is in violation of the Fifth Amendment."

If the case comes before the court under the current structure, there is cause to believe that Marriage Equality will be upheld.

Personally, I'd have wished supporters of SSCM to have held off for a few more years before pushing the challenge through the courts. The people of Maine did it the right way, IMHO, they changed the hearts and mind of the people and reversed the law at the ballot box. If that had also been done with California the strategic victory would have been much greater then the tactical victory of winning in the courts.

>>>>

I live in downtowns SLC, you reactionary poo flinger, only five blocks from Temple Square. I graduated from Utah State a lifetime ago.

Read the Salt Lake Tribune edition today, dear. It is 48 to 48 and slipping away from the dominant culture, because its youth, particularly the females, are realizing much of it is nonsense and denies the reality of the Savior and his reason for coming to the Earth.

Here is the best advice, sil, you will get this year: you work on your behavior, particularly toward your neighbor, and let Jesus worry about the rest. Do that, and you will be fine.

Your threatening tone is noted.

As to what the Savior says about homosexuality and enabling it with your vote:

You clown, what threatening tone? You have been corrected and also given good advice. However, in your passive aggressive way, you are trying to threaten me. Foolish.

Jesus never spoke on the issue, and only the minority of Christians who are heretics believe in biblical literalism. In other words, the writers are writing for themselves, not Jesus.

OMG, you can't be this crazy can you ? LOL

This is indeed great news to hear. I am glad the SCOTUS stepped in and overruled a radical judge's ruling. Gay marriage should not be tolerated in the United States since it is a abomination. What we all should be promoting is the traditional marriage between man and woman. This is a win for moral family values and common decency.

I wonder if they eat shrimp cocktails or wear polyester in Utah -- two other Abominations according to old book of Jewish tribal law called Leviticus.

Interesting how "Christians" ignore all the rules about treatment of slaves and women, dietary and gardening rules imposed by God…. Conservative "Christians" just cling to the one mention of homosexuality.

Why is that?

Leviticus is also pretty clear on all pagan practices, yet those Christians love their winter solstice trees, Easter eggs, and wedding bands. Pagans all!!

Has nothing to do at all with anything being compared with each other in the ways that you are trying to mock us with or to compare things with in this way. Ummm, you might want to look up mockery in the Bible, and when you do, umm then you might want to choose another profession just sayin. If you use one thing out of the Bible to empower yourself with, then you are also guilty or either in respect of the rest that is in the word as well. No cherry picking for empowering purposes in which are evil in the intent, or you might just find yourself condemned by your own actions in the end just as well.

I think that this is yet another feeble attempt by those who are up against it now when see these kinds of actions in response to, and it is being done to try and hold on for all that they have attempted on us over the years, but they are slipping now, and they know it as desperation sets in.

Jude is the New Testament and singled out the story of Sodom as a current and ongoing theme of modern Christianity. It didn't single out pork, shrimp etc.. It singled out specifically the eternal damnation of Sodom and cities/states like Sodom slated for the punishment of the current mortal sin of homosexuality and its enablers. If you are a christian, mormon or muslim, go ahead and promote or vote for gay marriage, if you don't mind the eternal flames of the Pit of Fire...

That may have been the misconcern of the writer of Jude. It is not the theme that most Christians are concerned with; rather they are working out the love of the Father and the Son for all of the Creation.

However, our Constitution separates religion and state, Sil, and you and your heretics will not shatter that barrier. We don't need a Taliban here.

Pray tell, what other part of the New Testament will the Harvey Milk club redact?
Why stop with the dire warnings in Jude for enablers of homosexuality via the lesson of the destruction of the city of Sodom and all those within sent to eternal damnation?

It isn't like Jude's message is a mild one, a suggestion. It is the highest of warnings to the faithful. You don't get worse than eternal damnation for failing to heed.

So it's a mortal sin.

It isn't up for redaction by any current-theme or social fad.

And on your smooth talk and urgings to the faithful to disregard the warning, the Bible's New Testament has something to say about that too:

Jude:

8. Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities....

..14. And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,

15. To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.

16. These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men's persons in admiration because of advantage.

17. But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ;

18. How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts

19. These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit...

..21. Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

If you stand by and allow the forbidden to flourish and enable it with your vote or support, be prepared to put on your fire suit because you're going down with the rest of them to that Lake of Fire. Ignore the "hard speeches". Turn a deaf ear to the "great swelling words" of those who walk "after their own lusts" who are "separate" from God, "sensual, having not the Spirit"...

Last edited:
"...Civil unions would be fine...if they applied to everyone gay or straight. Legal marriage for you and civil union for me is unconstitutional."
Who knows. Perhaps the 97% will amend the Constitution or otherwise render homosexuality as (constitutionally) illegal and therefore negate the present argument, if you push 'em too far.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

That has exactly the same chance of happening as the Indianapolis Colts winning the Super Bowl this year.

I wonder what it is about gay people that right wingers hate so much? Perhaps because God gave gay people talent? Or because he made conservatives the least interesting people in the history of the world? I wouldn't mess with people God gave so much talent to. He did it for a reason. Probably because he likes them. If he liked conservatives, he would have given them talent.

"...Civil unions would be fine...if they applied to everyone gay or straight. Legal marriage for you and civil union for me is unconstitutional."
Who knows. Perhaps the 97% will amend the Constitution or otherwise render homosexuality as (constitutionally) illegal and therefore negate the present argument, if you push 'em too far.

That has exactly the same chance of happening as the Indianapolis Colts winning the Super Bowl this year.
You are probably right.

I wonder what it is about gay people that right wingers hate so much? Perhaps because God gave gay people talent? Or because he made conservatives the least interesting people in the history of the world? I wouldn't mess with people God gave so much talent to. He did it for a reason. Probably because he likes them. If he liked conservatives, he would have given them talent.

"Hate"? I think "are concerned about" is a far better description of what's going on.

And as luck would have it, I have at least one quick answer that sums it up: Harvey Milk iconizing.

You are probably right.
I wonder what his odds would be on Revelations finally being fulfilled as was written, and this be it sooner and/or later ? You think he looks at that as in comparison of in the same ways maybe or maybe he was just speaking in frustration about why people don't get together on these issues better, and to make changes happen for themselves better, just like others are doing or have done now over time ? Hmmmm.

Last edited:
Personally, I do not support discrimination against homosexuals, but neither do I support government approval of gay marriage.

Last edited:
Your threatening tone is noted.

As to what the Savior says about homosexuality and enabling it with your vote:

You clown, what threatening tone? You have been corrected and also given good advice. However, in your passive aggressive way, you are trying to threaten me. Foolish.

Jesus never spoke on the issue, and only the minority of Christians who are heretics believe in biblical literalism. In other words, the writers are writing for themselves, not Jesus.

Biblical literalism as taught by evangelicals and fundamentalists is heresy to the great majority of Christianity. You folks are in the small minority.

Jude is the New Testament and singled out the story of Sodom as a current and ongoing theme of modern Christianity. It didn't single out pork, shrimp etc.. It singled out specifically the eternal damnation of Sodom and cities/states like Sodom slated for the punishment of the current mortal sin of homosexuality and its enablers. If you are a christian, mormon or muslim, go ahead and promote or vote for gay marriage, if you don't mind the eternal flames of the Pit of Fire...

That may have been the misconcern of the writer of Jude. It is not the theme that most Christians are concerned with; rather they are working out the love of the Father and the Son for all of the Creation.

However, our Constitution separates religion and state, Sil, and you and your heretics will not shatter that barrier. We don't need a Taliban here.

Pray tell, what other part of the New Testament will the Harvey Milk club redact?
Why stop with the dire warnings in Jude for enablers of homosexuality via the lesson of the destruction of the city of Sodom and all those within sent to eternal damnation?

It isn't like Jude's message is a mild one, a suggestion. It is the highest of warnings to the faithful. You don't get worse than eternal damnation for failing to heed.

So it's a mortal sin.

And on your smooth talk and urgings to the faithful to disregard the warning, the Bible's New Testament has something to say about that too:

Jude:

8. Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities....

..14. And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,

15. To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.

16. These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men's persons in admiration because of advantage.

17. But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ;

18. How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts

..21. Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

If you stand by and allow the forbidden to flourish and enable it with your vote or support, be prepared to put on your fire suit because you're going down with the rest of them to that Lake of Fire. Ignore the "hard speeches". Turn a deaf ear to the "great swelling words" of those who walk "after their own lusts" who are "separate" from God, "sensual, having not the Spirit"...

You may preach your reactionary evangelicalism all you want, but it is still heresy.

Personally, I do not support discrimination against homosexuals, but neither do I support government approval of gay marriage.
Good call, but they don't see the two as being inseparable now, and so they fear that if one is against gay marriage now, then he or she is going to also be for the discrimination of gays or at least that is how it will be played by them in order to empower their agenda on these matters farther.

Biblical literalism as taught by evangelicals and fundamentalists is heresy to the great majority of Christianity. You folks are in the small minority.
Says you with no stats to back you up..LOL

So it's a mortal sin.

Jude:

You may preach your reactionary evangelicalism all you want, but it is still heresy.
And so you are betting or should I say HOPING that it is hearsay. LOL

Says you with no stats to back you up..LOL

Yup, they do. Baptists, Methodists, and the reformed Churches make up about 7% of the world wide Christian membership.

http://www.888c.com/WorldChristianDenominations.htm

Last edited:
Gaymarriage-downloadslide-03.png

And to what do you attribute this shift?

Education?

Propaganda?

Browbeating?

Increased tolerance?

Spiritual or intellectual enlightenment?

Increased fear of political incorrectness and the social penalties attendant?

Disgust with liberal government drift towards legitimization of homosexuality?

Resignation that the government won't hold its ground so there's no point resisting any longer?

Lack of organization?

Exhaustion from years of being bombarded with faux political correctness arguments?

Maturing of a new generation of so-called metrosexuals that lacks the same backbone as its predecessors?

The 97% haven't been pushed far enough yet by the 3% to react substantively and collectively?

Biased polling of interpreting or reporting entities trying to jump on the bandwagon in order to be seen backing the trend de jour?

Polling mostly in urban areas with a higher density of Gays and Gay-tolerant folk than the burbs and the farmlands?

Some combination of the above?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back