Bumper Jacks

Here's something to think about. POLICE DEPARTMENTS, when they have a choice, buy rear-wheel-drive cars WITH A FRAME. They have mourned the demise of the Crown Vic since it died.

I hear all that shit about the "crush zone" but the people who depend on those vehicles for their lives....kinda like full-frame cars.
For thirty years, the most popular police cars in the country were unit-body.

It is not semantics. A unibody car does not have a frame. It was started in order to save money and weight, then the car companies realized that people weren't buying the argument that it was just as "solid" or "safe" as a car with a frame (see my example of police departments above). They tried (successfully) to make the claim that it was better for the front end to "accordion" than remain intact, because passengers would be less likely to fly through the fukkin windshield. It has become universal practice because it saves money and weight.

A unibody car, hit properly, can be totaled in a fender-bender. I personally never allow my vehicle to collide with others, so it's not an issue for me.
Literally everything here is wrong.

Unit-body construction is, objectively, superior to a perimeter frame. It's lighter, it's much stiffer for everything except a convertible. It's much easier to make without squeaks and rattles.

Today's motor vehicles are so expensive that people can't afford them so keep older models until the wheels fall off.

Government that wanted you to have a safe, protective vehicle would issue you one FREE. Like your Obamaphone.

N'est-ce pas?
Pas se.

For thirty years, the most popular police cars in the country were unit-body.

For a very long time, ending when Ford discontinued it in 2011, Ford pretty much owned the police car market with the Crown Victoria—an old-school body-on-frame sedan. Ford pretty much had a monopoly on police vehicles after General Motors discontinued the Chevrolet Caprice, another body-on-frame sedan which was Ford's main competition for this market until GM discontinued it in 1996.

I do not know which thirty-year-period you think existed, during which unibody vehicles dominated the police car market. I don't think any unibody cars had any significant part in this market until after Ford discontinued the Crown Victoria, and that was a lot less than thirty years ago.

For a very long time, ending when Ford discontinued it in 2011, Ford pretty much owned the police car market with the Crown Victoria—an old-school body-on-frame sedan. Ford pretty much had a monopoly on police vehicles after General Motors discontinued the Chevrolet Caprice, another body-on-frame sedan which was Ford's main competition for this market until GM discontinued it in 1996.

I do not know which thirty-year-period you think existed, during which unibody vehicles dominated the police car market. I don't think any unibody cars had any significant part in this market until after Ford discontinued the Crown Victoria, and that was a lot less than thirty years ago.
When Chrysler owned the police car market (early 60s to late 80s), the entire line was unit-body.

Forum List

Back