Bumper Jacks

Not really.
They have unibody frames and full frames which are steel channel frames.
Unibody frames suck because once you bend em they're fucked because they affect the whole body as to where a channel frame can be bent but the body parts are still usable.
Yes, really. Unibody frames.are still steel.frames.

All my crush zones... are in your car...

IMG_20210809_190804582~2.jpg

Cars still have steel frames.
The vast majority of modern cars do not have frames. They are constructed in what is known as a monocoque or unibody structure, where the sheet metal itself provides all the structural strength of the body.
Don't bother with the silly semantic games. You know what I meant.

I don't agree that it constitutes “silly semantic games” to insist that words be used in a manner that is consistently understood. It rather defeats the purpose of words for one person to intentionally use them in a manner that is not consistent with everyone else's understanding of what they mean.

I don't agree that it constitutes “silly semantic games” to insist that words be used in a manner that is consistently understood. It rather defeats the purpose of words for one person to intentionally use them in a manner that is not consistent with everyone else's understanding of what they mean.
dont mind him,, he has a real problem with the english language,,, simple words confuse him,,

I'm aware of that but being a hillbilly I am not afraid to crawl under a car. Putting the jack under the back axle or front suspension is way less effort than lifting the car through the entire range of travel of the suspension.
If you trust ANY jack enough to crawl under a car supported by it, you are an idiot. I always use jackstands or blocks.

If you trust ANY jack enough to crawl under a car supported by it, you are an idiot. I always use jackstands or blocks.
I'm a front yard mechanic from way back. I have several large timber cribbing blocks that are way better than using stands.

The.frame is incorporated into the body. That's all unibody means. Monocoque construction is usually found in high end sports cars like Ferrari and such.

Weird thread. It seems that everyone is arguing, saying the same thing.

I think everyone will agree that today's cars are many times safer than older cars. Today many folks walk away from crashes they would have been scraped out of previously.

My Ol' Man was a professional mechanic all his life. He never ever went under a car that did not have jack stands. Watch a NASCAR race. Theirs are special jacks costing a bloody fortune each. If there's a need to go under a car, the jack stand goes under before any of these top mechanics dive under the car.

All that being said, I wouldn't trade almost any new car for my toy, a '66 GOAT I bought in 1970 with 1,500 miles.

Todays cars are designed with survivability of the occupants in mind not survivability of the frame

Sure,if you drive a car. That still doesnt change the fact that a car with a unibody can be listed as totaled with very little damage unlike a framed vehicle.
And it's not like you cant have crumple zones in a framed vehicle.

It is not semantics. A unibody car does not have a frame. It was started in order to save money and weight, then the car companies realized that people weren't buying the argument that it was just as "solid" or "safe" as a car with a frame (see my example of police departments above). They tried (successfully) to make the claim that it was better for the front end to "accordion" than remain intact, because passengers would be less likely to fly through the fukkin windshield. It has become universal practice because it saves money and weight.

A unibody car, hit properly, can be totaled in a fender-bender. I personally never allow my vehicle to collide with others, so it's not an issue for me.

Today's motor vehicles are so expensive that people can't afford them so keep older models until the wheels fall off.

Government that wanted you to have a safe, protective vehicle would issue you one FREE. Like your Obamaphone.

N'est-ce pas?

Actually, today's cars are much better than the cars of yesteryear.

With regular maintenance, it's not unusual these days for a car with 200,000 miles on it to still be in good shape.

When was the last time you saw someone pulled over with their radiator boiling over on a hot day ... a very common sight in my day.

Overall, there is less steel in cars, but car frames are still made out of steel, a better grade of steel than in years past.

Bumpers are no longer statically bolted to the frame, but attached by impact absorbing devices that transfer less of the impact to the frame, and hence to the passengers surrounded by the frame.

We have padded dashes and airbags instead of steel bludgeons to bang our heads on in a crash. Not to mention safety glass that won't cut you into pieces if you go through it.

Overall, today's vehicles are built to a much higher standard than in days past.
Yes...and the result of it was a 5MPH parking lot bump resulted in a multi-thousand dollar repair to my car and a week and a half in a rental.

Forum List

Back