Cake or No Cake – Arizona’s Religious Freedom Bill

This woman was raised by two lesbians. One of them happened to be her previously heterosexual mother (whom she loves dearly) who suffered from a nasty divorce. Here's another twist: She's a pro-choice Christian. In the blog below, she discusses the merits of what was SB1062, despite being raised by gay parents. She also discusses why the bill was not rooted in any type of hatred for homosexuals but in respect for religions and First Amendment rights. Not to mention this Christian woman, raised by gay parents will invariably make some liberal gay rights activists heads explode in the process.

Pro-choice, eh? Except for those pesky times that someone wants to exercise their freedoms in a way that offends you. Right. Because pro-choice only applies to abortion. So then.

During my long morning bath, luxuriating with the New York Times (no Bon Bons, mommas jeans are T I G H T) I happened across the news about Arizona’s Religious Freedom Act which would enforce a business’s right to refuse service to gay patrons.

I will generously provide Cliff Notes for you if you are unaware of the reasons this bill has been proposed in the first place. Some Christian businesses have refused to provide services for a gay event and because of it they have been bullied, sued, shut down, and some are lucky enough to have received death threats. There was the printer who declined to produce the gay pride shirt. A baker who had a policy of gay-rights-arizonamaking every cake you could possibly desire, just not cakes for same-sex weddings. A photographer who said that she would “gladly serve gays and lesbians—by, for example, providing them with portrait photography—whenever doing so would not require [her] to create expression conveying messages that conflict with [her] religious beliefs.” A florist who served her numerous gay clients for a decade but was sued when she declined to provide flowers for a long time client’s gay wedding. I promise I will not point and laugh if you have not heard of these cases. Mainstream media doesn’t want to be proved wrong about the conflict between gay marriage laws and religious liberty, which was predicted by many a natural marriage supporter. If you have not, do avail yourself to a big, gigantic, way more intelligent brain on the Matt Walsh’s blog and inform yourself. Ifyouwouldplease.

So, dear readers, here is my attempt to engage your critical thinking capabilities thinly veiled in a question so please set down your agendas and hop off your sacred cows and tell me true. In the cases above, the business owners offered other services to their gay customers, sometimes for years, before they refused service for the gay event. Why?

I will give you a second to discuss.

It is because the butcher, the baker, and the candlestick maker do not know who is gay and who is not unless the service revolves around an activity. A BEHAVIOR. I have said it before but I will gladly repeat myself because I am very service oriented. This fact (the one up there in the fancy italics) obliterates the comparisons between racial segregation and the “gay-rights” movement. Sexual orientation is not like race. Race does not depend on feelings, behaviors, and with whom you chose to identify. Race is an immutable factor that cannot, will not, does not change no matter your feelings or actions. You do not have to “come out” as black. Sexual orientation, on the other hand, is much more nebulous. There are plenty of folks who have varying degrees of same-sex attraction. Some choose to be in relationships with the opposite sex only. Some have been in gay relationships for a season of their life. Some feel that this attraction is the defining characteristic of their identity and they exclusively couple with the same gender. But it is the manifestation of that attraction expressed in behavior- specifically who you choose to have sex with- that distinguishes this “class” of citizens.

It is an activity alone that distinguishes people as gay. It is not the lisp, the effeminate gait nor the incredible fashion sense. Neither is it because of the butch haircut, the Subaru or the piercings that the above referenced businesses were choosing to deny service. It was an activity. Without the activity, gay people are indistinguishable from everyone else walking the planet. Under this bill, the only way that a queer customer would be refused lunch at the diner would be for her to stand up and declare “I have sex with women!” or make out with her girlfriend right then and there. Otherwise, you’re just the average diner, sister. Dontcha think that a restaurateur should be able to remove any lunatic shouting about their sex life or exhibiting gratuitous PDA in a diner? Well hold on there missy. Not with this bill. Only the straight-identifying lunatics could be removed. That’s fair, right? If you have not remounted your sacred cow then you know the answer is a resounding NO.

Cake or No Cake ? Arizona?s Religious Freedom Bill | asktheBigot

Link to the author's bio:

Who is this Christian ?bigot?? | asktheBigot

Didn't you just have an epiphany? I thought you were going to focus on the more important issues of the day.....and fight the liberal attempt to divert from them by talking about gay people.

What's up? Forgot already?

And....TK......PaintMyHouse owned you here....on all counts. You didn't have a prayer.

How did he own me? Why am I still in this thread and he isn't? Are you done playing cheerleader? Your team lost. Deal with it.

It is obvious. He probably left because you bored him to sleep......or maybe he choked on his laughter at watching you claim victory.

There are many fun things to witness here....but one of the best is you getting schooled while claiming the win. It is odd......and sad......but always fun.

Hey Jesus-freak, bake the stupid fucking cake. It's a cake, not a vow for all eternity before Jesus and God Almighty.

And what you fail to understand, not being a Christian from what I gather, is that some of us see serving them as condoning a sin, and thereby committing a transgression against God. Not only are you insensitive to those of faith, you're being a tyrannical martinet.

again, people who burned witches at the stake though they were doing God's will as well.

Not to worry, the Plutocrats who really run the Republican Party told Jan Brewer what is what, and she vetoed it.

That should really put in perspective how much you Christians are being played by the GOP, but it won't.

Oh, wait. You're a LiberTARDian this week, right?

Since religious rights are not being respected, they should have done what the chicken place did- just tout family values and then the gay community would have boycotted them.

I don't have issues with gay marriage, but can't understand why people would take their business to people that don't approve of their life style for whatever reason.

Mostly because businesses are public accommedations.

Let's take this on another tact. The ONLY pharmacy in town in owned by a devout Muslim. A woman comes in with a anti-biotic prescription for her sick child. The Pharmacist announces that since she is not properly covering her head in accordance with the Koran, he refuses to serve her.

Is this okay by you?

Republicans will fight to the death to help the rich but fold like a cheap suit over religious freedom.

and fold they did but what did you expect? The people are no longer supporters of things like freedom in general. It saddens me greatly that most don't even understand the issue itself in this debate - no matter what side you are on.

Hey Jesus-freak, bake the stupid fucking cake. It's a cake, not a vow for all eternity before Jesus and God Almighty.

And what you fail to understand, not being a Christian from what I gather, is that some of us see serving them as condoning a sin, and thereby committing a transgression against God. Not only are you insensitive to those of faith, you're being a tyrannical martinet.

This is not about religion, it's just gay hating. Where does the bible say you can't make a cake for a gay couple. Are they also refusing service to anyone who lives together before marriage? Anyone who has had sex before marriage?

I love how the right ignores the pope when he says inequality is bad, but embrace anything that gives them something to hate.

Last edited:

This is not about religion, it's just gay hating. Where does the bible say you can't make a cake for a gay couple. Are they also refusing service to anyone who lives together before marriage? Anyone who has had sex before marriage?

I love how the right ignores the pope when he says inequality is bad, but embrace anything that gives them something to hate.

I personally like the part where YOU think that you define what other believe in and what tenants of PERSONAL faith should mean.

Where do you get off deciding what the tenants of ones personal faith actually means rather than the individual themselves?

I don't think that you can get more arrogant than that...

Republicans will fight to the death to help the rich but fold like a cheap suit over religious freedom.

and fold they did but what did you expect? The people are no longer supporters of things like freedom in general. It saddens me greatly that most don't even understand the issue itself in this debate - no matter what side you are on.

Which "religious" freedom?

The "freedom" not to provide goods and services to a person in the public market place?

That's been codified into law.

And as Scalia, of all people pointed out, your religion ends where the law begins.

How Scalia Helped Obama Defend The Birth Control Rule

I suppose it may be because millions of them are planning to migrate to AZ and they all have the munchies?

(I shall soon learn how to quote, apologies)

Ha! :lmao:

On the lower right hand corner of each post, there are a set of four options to choose from, "edit", "quote" "multiquote" and "quick reply." To quote, simply click the quote button below the post you wish to quote.

Thank you Templar. :)

I personally like the part where YOU think that you define what other believe in and what tenants of PERSONAL faith should mean.

Where do you get off deciding what the tenants of ones personal faith actually means rather than the individual themselves?

I don't think that you can get more arrogant than that...

Ah, so people who hate gays can just decide it is part of their religion? Then they hide behind religion rather than admit they just hate gays. Interesting.

This woman was raised by two lesbians. One of them happened to be her previously heterosexual mother (whom she loves dearly) who suffered from a nasty divorce. Here's another twist: She's a pro-choice Christian. In the blog below, she discusses the merits of what was SB1062, despite being raised by gay parents. She also discusses why the bill was not rooted in any type of hatred for homosexuals but in respect for religions and First Amendment rights. Not to mention this Christian woman, raised by gay parents will invariably make some liberal gay rights activists heads explode in the process.

Pro-choice, eh? Except for those pesky times that someone wants to exercise their freedoms in a way that offends you. Right. Because pro-choice only applies to abortion. So then.

During my long morning bath, luxuriating with the New York Times (no Bon Bons, mommas jeans are T I G H T) I happened across the news about Arizona’s Religious Freedom Act which would enforce a business’s right to refuse service to gay patrons.

I will generously provide Cliff Notes for you if you are unaware of the reasons this bill has been proposed in the first place. Some Christian businesses have refused to provide services for a gay event and because of it they have been bullied, sued, shut down, and some are lucky enough to have received death threats. There was the printer who declined to produce the gay pride shirt. A baker who had a policy of gay-rights-arizonamaking every cake you could possibly desire, just not cakes for same-sex weddings. A photographer who said that she would “gladly serve gays and lesbians—by, for example, providing them with portrait photography—whenever doing so would not require [her] to create expression conveying messages that conflict with [her] religious beliefs.” A florist who served her numerous gay clients for a decade but was sued when she declined to provide flowers for a long time client’s gay wedding. I promise I will not point and laugh if you have not heard of these cases. Mainstream media doesn’t want to be proved wrong about the conflict between gay marriage laws and religious liberty, which was predicted by many a natural marriage supporter. If you have not, do avail yourself to a big, gigantic, way more intelligent brain on the Matt Walsh’s blog and inform yourself. Ifyouwouldplease.

So, dear readers, here is my attempt to engage your critical thinking capabilities thinly veiled in a question so please set down your agendas and hop off your sacred cows and tell me true. In the cases above, the business owners offered other services to their gay customers, sometimes for years, before they refused service for the gay event. Why?

It is because the butcher, the baker, and the candlestick maker do not know who is gay and who is not unless the service revolves around an activity. A BEHAVIOR. I have said it before but I will gladly repeat myself because I am very service oriented. This fact (the one up there in the fancy italics) obliterates the comparisons between racial segregation and the “gay-rights” movement. Sexual orientation is not like race. Race does not depend on feelings, behaviors, and with whom you chose to identify. Race is an immutable factor that cannot, will not, does not change no matter your feelings or actions. You do not have to “come out” as black. Sexual orientation, on the other hand, is much more nebulous. There are plenty of folks who have varying degrees of same-sex attraction. Some choose to be in relationships with the opposite sex only. Some have been in gay relationships for a season of their life. Some feel that this attraction is the defining characteristic of their identity and they exclusively couple with the same gender. But it is the manifestation of that attraction expressed in behavior- specifically who you choose to have sex with- that distinguishes this “class” of citizens.

It is an activity alone that distinguishes people as gay. It is not the lisp, the effeminate gait nor the incredible fashion sense. Neither is it because of the butch haircut, the Subaru or the piercings that the above referenced businesses were choosing to deny service. It was an activity. Without the activity, gay people are indistinguishable from everyone else walking the planet. Under this bill, the only way that a queer customer would be refused lunch at the diner would be for her to stand up and declare “I have sex with women!” or make out with her girlfriend right then and there. Otherwise, you’re just the average diner, sister. Dontcha think that a restaurateur should be able to remove any lunatic shouting about their sex life or exhibiting gratuitous PDA in a diner? Well hold on there missy. Not with this bill. Only the straight-identifying lunatics could be removed. That’s fair, right? If you have not remounted your sacred cow then you know the answer is a resounding NO.

Interesting testimony she has, TK. I always found it amazing that everyone in favor of abortion has already been born.

Interesting testimony she has, TK. I always found it amazing that everyone in favor of abortion has already been born.
Everyone against it as well but maybe that's because those who were aborted, by induction or spontaneously, don't give a damn either way eh?

Forum List

Back