Can conservatives maintain their views on gay marriage?

Most racists of that era were Democrats led by Robert Byrd and his 54 day fillibuster against the Civil Rights Bill.

The southern racists subsequently abandoned the Democratic party in droves and switched over to become Republicans where they still receive a warm welcome to this day.

Most Southern racists 50 years ago were conservatives, whether democrats or republicans is irrelevant. And most racists today would self-identify as conservatives who vote republican.

Of course this doesn’t mean all conservatives are racists, or all republicans, for that matter. Nor does it mean conservatives or republicans condone racism.

But conservatives and republicans should find it troubling that the majority of racists are in the GOP, and feel most comfortable among conservatives.

They were conservatives? Do you have actual evidence of that, or are you just saying it so you can pretend that being a progressive racist makes you better than them?

God, I wish you would read a history book one of these days. Sheesh! This is too dumb to take seriously.

Are these the history books you are referring to?

https://www.google.com/search?q=history+of+jim+crow&rlz=1C1CHKZ_enUS438US513&oq=history+of+jim+crow&aqs=chrome.0.57j5j0l2.8775j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I'm not sure I understand your point. You do know that Jim Crow was a democrat, right?

Yes, but this is my point;

The southern racists subsequently abandoned the Democratic party in droves and switched over to become Republicans...

While the majority of the racists have been located in the south their political affiliation over time has been fickle. They switched sides following the civil rights legislation of the 1960's that Johnson (another Dem) was instrumental in passing.

There is nothing gay about it. America is among the most tolerant nations in the world but marriage among sodomites is repugnant and conservatives need not apologize for their beliefs.

I am not apologizing to anyone for my beliefs that gays getting married is none of my or your business.
How big is your badge and decoder pinikie ring when they made you the conservative moral police?

I'm not sure I understand your point. You do know that Jim Crow was a democrat, right?

The southern racists subsequently abandoned the Democratic party in droves and switched over to become Republicans...

While the majority of the racists have been located in the south their political affiliation over time has been fickle. They switched sides following the civil rights legislation of the 1960's that Johnson (another Dem) was instrumental in passing.

Being a racist is how ONE THINKS.
Are you psychic?
How does anyone know where the "majority of racists" are?

Are you psychic?

Ever heard of an opinion poll?
Which political party is actively trying to suppress minority voting?
Where is the majority of the base for that political party?
Do you need any help connecting the dots?

Are you psychic?

So on the poll they ask:
"Are you a racist?"
And the ones that answer yes are tallied.
Similar to the poll of:
"How often do you beat your wife".

Come on man, not in the real world.
There is NO opinion poll on racists.
No political party is trying to suppress minority voting. That is absurd. Their LEADING candidate until he was lynched by the media WAS A MINORITY.
And you claim they wanted to suppress the vote of the race THAT HE WAS???:cuckoo:
The majority base for Republicans are racists?
Dude, put the pipe down.
BTW, I am Libertarian tired of the BS from you and the right wing religious right.

Are you psychic?

So on the poll they ask:
"Are you a racist?"
Similar to the poll of:

No political party is trying to suppress minority voting. That is absurd. Their LEADING candidate until he was lynched by the media WAS A MINORITY.
And you claim they wanted to suppress the vote of the race THAT HE WAS???:cuckoo:
Dude, put the pipe down.
BTW, I am Libertarian tired of the BS from you and the right wing religious right.

Your libertarian bubble is NOT reality.

In 2012, racism's tenacious hold on U.S. - CNN.com

Furthermore your deliberate distortion of what was actually posted reflects poorly on your integrity. Then again your denial of Republican voter suppression indicates that you have an honesty shortcoming too. For someone who allegedly does not have any party affiliation it is telling as to which party you are blindly defending.

Why would racists switch sides to a republican party who had more votes to pass Johnson's civil rights legislation that the democrats? You say democrats switched sides following the civil rights legislation. You fail to mention they switched sides 30 years later and their reasoning was propelled by economic issues and certain social issues such as abortion. Your race baiting doesn't hold up to fact or common sense.

Why would racists switch sides to a republican party who had more votes to pass Johnson's civil rights legislation that the democrats? You say democrats switched sides following the civil rights legislation. You fail to mention they switched sides 30 years later and their reasoning was propelled by economic issues and certain social issues such as abortion. Your race baiting doesn't hold up to fact or common sense.

According to your math the "moral majority" did not happen until the mid 1990's. (1964 + 30 = 1994) Instead it actually began in the mid 1970's and had it's heyday during the Reagan era. Are you claiming that Jerry Falwell did not actively support Reagan and work to bring the anti-abortion voters to the polls? There is no "race baiting" going on. You raised the topic of history and the Republican "Southern Strategy" is documented history.

Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In American politics, the Southern strategy is the Republican Party's strategy of gaining political support or winning elections in the Southern section of the country by appealing to racism against African Americans.[1][2][3][4][5]

Though the "Solid South" had been a longtime Democratic Party stronghold due to the Democratic Party's defense of slavery before the American Civil War and segregation for a century thereafter, many white Southern Democrats stopped supporting the party following the civil rights plank of the Democratic campaign in 1948 (triggering the Dixiecrats), the African-American Civil Rights Movement, the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Voting Rights Act of 1965, and desegregation.

The strategy was first adopted under future Republican President Richard Nixon and Republican Senator Barry Goldwater[6][7] in the late 1960s.[8] The strategy was successful in many regards. It contributed to the electoral realignment of Southern states to the Republican Party, but at the expense of losing more than 90 percent of black voters to the Democratic Party. As the twentieth century came to a close, the Republican Party began trying to appeal again to black voters, though with little success.[8]

Although the phrase "Southern strategy" is often attributed to Nixon's political strategist Kevin Phillips, he did not originate it,[9] but merely popularized it.[10] In an interview included in a 1970 New York Times article, he touched on its essence:

From now on, the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote and they don't need any more than that...but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened enforcement of the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrats.[2]

Have you ever heard of facts?

the Islamic Republic Party of Iran comes to mind. My guess is you won't like that answer, and expect me to believe that there is a major party in the US that is actively trying to suppress votes even though you have no evidence that it is happening.

In Iran?

You have been watching too much Glenn Beck. The only time connecting the dots actually works is when you have a picture specifically designed with dots intended to be connected in a specific order. If you try it in the real world you end up turning wackadoodle and believing that the moon landing was faked.

So on the poll they ask:
"Are you a racist?"
Similar to the poll of:

Dude, put the pipe down.

Your libertarian bubble is NOT reality.

In 2012, racism's tenacious hold on U.S. - CNN.com

Furthermore your deliberate distortion of what was actually posted reflects poorly on your integrity. Then again your denial of Republican voter suppression indicates that you have an honesty shortcoming too. For someone who allegedly does not have any party affiliation it is telling as to which party you are blindly defending.

According to that idiotic poll 51% of Americans express specific anti black attitudes. What, exactly, are the anti black attitudes expressed by more than half of the people in this country? Would it be anti black of me to point out that the same poll showed that 43% of blacks expressed those same attitudes? How about if I pointed out that 30% of whites are anti white?

Strangely enough, the actual poll has been taken offline, but a little research shows that there are plenty of people who took that poll apart piece by piece. Yet you, being a wackadoodle, prefer to live in your world with the fake moon landing and polls that show that almost half of the blacks in this country hate themselves.

What the AP Poll on Racial Attitudes Really Tells Us, Part 1

I suggest you take some time to do some of that research you claim to like and find out exactly what the pollsters counted as anti black attitudes.

Because wackadoodles don't think facts are important, all they care about is connecting the dots.

According to your math the "moral majority" did not happen until the mid 1990's. (1964 + 30 = 1994) Instead it actually began in the mid 1970's and had it's heyday during the Reagan era. Are you claiming that Jerry Falwell did not actively support Reagan and work to bring the anti-abortion voters to the polls? There is no "race baiting" going on. You raised the topic of history and the Republican "Southern Strategy" is documented history.

In American politics, the Southern strategy is the Republican Party's strategy of gaining political support or winning elections in the Southern section of the country by appealing to racism against African Americans.[1][2][3][4][5]

Though the "Solid South" had been a longtime Democratic Party stronghold due to the Democratic Party's defense of slavery before the American Civil War and segregation for a century thereafter, many white Southern Democrats stopped supporting the party following the civil rights plank of the Democratic campaign in 1948 (triggering the Dixiecrats), the African-American Civil Rights Movement, the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Voting Rights Act of 1965, and desegregation.

The strategy was first adopted under future Republican President Richard Nixon and Republican Senator Barry Goldwater[6][7] in the late 1960s.[8] The strategy was successful in many regards. It contributed to the electoral realignment of Southern states to the Republican Party, but at the expense of losing more than 90 percent of black voters to the Democratic Party. As the twentieth century came to a close, the Republican Party began trying to appeal again to black voters, though with little success.[8]

Although the phrase "Southern strategy" is often attributed to Nixon's political strategist Kevin Phillips, he did not originate it,[9] but merely popularized it.[10] In an interview included in a 1970 New York Times article, he touched on its essence:

From now on, the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote and they don't need any more than that...but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened enforcement of the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrats.[2]

Why are you giving me talking points? Why are you talking about the Moral Majority? The Moral Majority was a small part of a larger movement that started much earlier. Now you bring up the "southern strategy" which is nonsense. You've devolved this conversation into revisionist history and changing of topics while buttressing your race baiting with trite and shallow racial conspiracy theories.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2013/04/the-southern-strategy-debunked-again.php

Last edited:

Why are you giving me quotes from wikipedia and liberal talking points? Why are you talking about the Moral Majority? The Moral Majority was a small part of a larger movement that started much earlier. Now you bring up the "southern strategy" which is nonsense. You've devolved this conversation into revisionist history and changing of topics while buttressing your race baiting with trite and shallow racial conspiracy theories.

So all HISTORICAL FACTS are dismissed because they are just "liberal talking points" even though you cannot provide a single one of your own to prove either your own "nonsense" or disprove what has been provided with substantiated links. Have a nice day.

Why are you giving me quotes from wikipedia and liberal talking points? Why are you talking about the Moral Majority? The Moral Majority was a small part of a larger movement that started much earlier. Now you bring up the "southern strategy" which is nonsense. You've devolved this conversation into revisionist history and changing of topics while buttressing your race baiting with trite and shallow racial conspiracy theories.

So all HISTORICAL FACTS are dismissed because they are just "liberal talking points" even though you cannot provide a single one of your own to prove either your own "nonsense" or disprove what has been provided with substantiated links. Have a nice day.

You're silly.

Usually by the sides they take in disputes between blacks/whites, laws they support, open criticism, racial jokes they make and the people that think they are funny and defend them, and generalizations made about blacks.

I've never met a Democrat/liberal that makes a racist joke without knowing whether I'm racist or not, but I lived in Alabama and many of my Republican friends did - never imagining that I wasn't racist like them.

I'm sure there are some racist in the Democratic Party, just like there are gays in the Republican Party, but you'll find more racists in the Republican party just like there probably are more gays that are Liberal.

Usually by the sides they take in disputes between blacks/whites, laws they support, open criticism, racial jokes they make and the people that think they are funny and defend them, and generalizations made about blacks.

I've never met a Democrat/liberal that makes a racist joke without knowing whether I'm racist or not, but I lived in Alabama and many of my Republican friends did - never imagining that I wasn't racist like them.

I'm sure there are some racist in the Democratic Party, just like there are gays in the Republican Party, but you'll find more racists in the Republican party just like there probably are more gays that are Liberal.

This is all hypothesis of course but you may be right. There may be more racists in the republican party such as there are more terrorists and anti-semitism in the democratic party but we should not generalize groups for the actions and thoughts (and jokes) of an individual.

I would also add that, in my opinion, the word "racism" has been politicized to such an extent that the word "racism" has become a Rorschach ink blot test in which different people see different things. "Racism" means what you want it to mean as opposed to having an exact definition we can all agree on. I think this is where a large part of our disagreements are derived.

Last edited:

It's a known fact that some Republicans in Congress switched sides because they weren't happy with the Democratic Party's pushing Civil Rights laws, such Strom Thurmond, Jesse Helms , Trent Lott. The South had heavy Democratic strongholds in the South at the time that Johnson was pushing Civil Rights to curb discrimination. Most Republicans deny this and always bring out Robert Byrd, one of the Democrats who was racist but didn't switch to the Republican party, all around the same time the others did, to point out that it is Democrats who are racist, but Strom Thurmond, who switched over to the Republican party is historically one of the worst racists on record. He was so opposed to the Civil Rights Act that he has the record for the longest filibuster in history.

Wiki:
Strom Thurmond, then a Democrat,
was a pro-segregation Senator from South Carolina. He vehemently opposed passage of the Act with the longest (although ultimately unsuccessful) filibuster ever conducted by a single senator, speaking for 24 hours and 18 minutes. Cots were brought in from a nearby hotel for the legislators to sleep on while Thurmond discussed increasingly irrelevant and obscure topics, including his grandmother's biscuit recipe.[citation needed] Other southern senators, who had agreed as part of a compromise not to filibuster this bill, were upset with Thurmond. They believed his defiance made them look incompetent to their constituents. Other constituents were upset with their senators because they were seen as not helping Thurmond.

Wiki:
His (Lyndon Johnson) campaign received considerable support from former Democratic strongholds in the Deep South and even won Georgia, the last state of the contiguous United States to vote for the Republican presidential ticket while, conversely, Johnson won Alaska for the Democrats for the first (and only) time ever, as well Maine (for the first time since 1912) and Vermont for the first time since the Democratic Party was founded.

And about your vote count - where do you get your figures? It is true that the Republican vote was needed in order to pass it, but more Democrats voted in favor of it than Republicans both in the House and Senate.

Republicans voted in favor 138-34, and Democrats voted 152-96 in support. Democrats from northern states voted in favor 141- 4 and southern-state Democrats opposed the bill 92-11.
This left southern conservatives with only the filibuster tool to try to stop the bill.

On this extraordinary occasion, the Senate voted for cloture, 71-29 -- 44 Democrats and 27 Republicans voted in favor. Opposed were 23 Democrats and 6 Republicans.

What Were the Republican and Democratic Votes That Passed the Civil Rights Bill of 1964? | eHow

This is all hypothesis of course but you may be right. There may be more racists in the republican party such as there are more terrorists and anti-semitism in the democratic party but we should not generalize groups for the actions and thoughts (and jokes) of an individual.

How do you figure there are more terrorists and anti-semitism in the Democratic party?

And, it's not just "one" individual, making racist jokes in the Republican party - more leaders in the Republican party have been quoted with their racist comments than Democratic leaders.

Are These 5 White Politicians Racists (Or Just Bigots)? | Breaking News for Black America

Racist politicians make a joke of Tampa - The Oracle: University of South Florida

Top 12 racist politicians of modern history | Alternet

Republican congressman calls Senator John McCain's Twitter joke 'racist' | News OK

Obama Impersonator Tells Racist Jokes at Republican Conference

Forum List

Back