Can The Students Be Silenced?

Since the student survivors of the mass murder at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School began their drive to ban the sale of semi-automatic, assault type rifles, the tremendous response from other students nationwide has turned their cause into a strong, grass roots movement..

TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO SAID THERE WERE NO STUDIES, DATA or RESEARCH linking cellphone use, video games and other social factors in affecting children's minds inducing depression and other mental factors leading to school shootings and dared me to provide such, I have a great awakening for you. Can't be sure if it was on this thread or one of the hundred other threads on the topic where several people claimed there was absolutely NO studies supporting such, but, while I generally don't watch local news, I was dozing with the TV on and the local CBS affiliate came on and one of their top stories was EXACTLY THAT: a number of studies including one they specifically mentioned out of the Massachusetts's Clay Center, where they had come to the exact conclusions I had earlier outlined. I've included a few links on the Clay Center and cellphone topics that I found doing a quick, cursory search. Considering this is the effect of just normal cellphone usage for communication, and that many video games are played via cellphone, it boggles the mind how some of the people here close their minds totally to the possibility and connections between cellphones, video games, isolation, depression and the rise in aberrant behavior, violence and shootings in school children.

The MGH Clay Center for Young Healthy Minds - Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
Weekend Links: Smartphones and Depression, C-Section Rates & More
iPhone In The Baby Bag - The MGH Clay Center for Young Healthy Minds
When Digital Natives Become Parents - The MGH Clay Center for Young Healthy Minds
Which Came First The Cell Phone or Feeling Isolated?

But I took the matter one step further, and for the people who said there was absolutely no research connecting depression and other mental factors with video games, again, just a quick, cursory search, I found THIS:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...-cause-depression-anxiety-and-social-phobia-2
https://www.news-medical.net/news/2...e-depression-in-children-new-study-finds.aspx
https://consumer.healthday.com/ment...ied-to-depression-anxiety-in-kids-648899.html
https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/18/video-games-and-the-depressed-teenager/
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...link-to-psychiatric-orders-suggested-by-study
https://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the...aming-Can-Lead-to-Mental-Health-Problems.aspx

It constantly amazes me the number of arm-chair experts on this message board who are often absolutely adamant about getting so much totally wrong.

Since the student survivors of the mass murder at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School began their drive to ban the sale of semi-automatic, assault type rifles, the tremendous response from other students nationwide has turned their cause into a strong, grass roots movement..

TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO SAID THERE WERE NO STUDIES, DATA or RESEARCH linking cellphone use, video games and other social factors in affecting children's minds inducing depression and other mental factors leading to school shootings and dared me to provide such, I have a great awakening for you. Can't be sure if it was on this thread or one of the hundred other threads on the topic where several people claimed there was absolutely NO studies supporting such, but, while I generally don't watch local news, I was dozing with the TV on and the local CBS affiliate came on and one of their top stories was EXACTLY THAT: a number of studies including one they specifically mentioned out of the Massachusetts's Clay Center, where they had come to the exact conclusions I had earlier outlined. I've included a few links on the Clay Center and cellphone topics that I found doing a quick, cursory search. Considering this is the effect of just normal cellphone usage for communication, and that many video games are played via cellphone, it boggles the mind how some of the people here close their minds totally to the possibility and connections between cellphones, video games, isolation, depression and the rise in aberrant behavior, violence and shootings in school children.

The MGH Clay Center for Young Healthy Minds - Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
Weekend Links: Smartphones and Depression, C-Section Rates & More
iPhone In The Baby Bag - The MGH Clay Center for Young Healthy Minds
When Digital Natives Become Parents - The MGH Clay Center for Young Healthy Minds
Which Came First The Cell Phone or Feeling Isolated?

But I took the matter one step further, and for the people who said there was absolutely no research connecting depression and other mental factors with video games, again, just a quick, cursory search, I found THIS:

Video Gaming can cause depression, anxiety and social phobia: 2
Violent video games can cause depression in children, new study finds
Video Game 'Addiction' Tied to Depression, Anxiety in Kids
Video Games and the Depressed Teenager
Video game link to psychiatric disorders suggested by study
Video Gaming Can Lead to Mental Health Problems

It constantly amazes me the number of arm-chair experts on this message board who are often absolutely adamant about getting so much totally wrong.
I heard today that Google has new aps designed for children ages six and up to use on their own social media sites. They want to establish an ever growing following...addicted to staring at a screen and punching buttons all day long, every day they are alive. Parents should not fall for this crap. Children need to play outdoors, go camping (without electronics), go fishing, learn to grow things in a garden, learn to fix things that need repair, learn how mechanical things work, get into art, music, reading and writing.

I am truly thankful that I went through my formative years (and many years thereafter) without electronic devices.

Since the student survivors of the mass murder at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School began their drive to ban the sale of semi-automatic, assault type rifles, the tremendous response from other students nationwide has turned their cause into a strong, grass roots movement.

Conservatives and their leaders are deeply concerned over the possible results this overwhelming number of kids could have. Conservatives, gun nuts, and Republican politicians are appalled by these kids demanding their safety be a priority over the gun nuts’ lunatic desire to own the phallic symbol that is their favorite to stroke and kiss.

Due to this uncontrollable fear conservatives have at the thought of losing their penile substitute, Mitch McConnell decided to ignore the growing number of young voters in this movement. With the coming mid-term elections, these many, many, many students now have the potential to join with tens-of-millions of progressive voters and put the Democrats in control of congress.

In addition to Mitch, conservative community leaders, conservatives on school boards and school administrators have done all they can to stifle the students’ enthusiasm. And now, the National Parks Service is doing so.

A “March For Our Lives” rally was planned by the Stoneman Douglas survivors to take place on the Mall in D.C., but organizers were refused a permit by the National Parks Service management. A representative for the Park Service cited a conflict with a “talent show” as the reason.

The co-executive producer of “Dancing With the Stars” Deena Katz was brought in by the Stoneman Douglas survivors to plan the major event and has a nearly $2 million budget. The money is was raised with a “GoFundMe page, along with donations from Oprah Winfrey, Steven Spielberg and George and Amal Clooney.”

The “talent show” permit application listed equipment for the film crew’s use for the Mall as two tables, two bikes and jump ropes.

The list on the permit application for the March For Our Lives rally included 14 Jumbotrons, 2,000 chairs and 2,000 portable restrooms to be funded with part of the $2 million.

This equipment will be used by the “student speakers, musical performers, guest speakers and video tributes,” and up to an estimated 500,000 attendees, according to the permit application.

The D.C. location for March For Our Lives rally is just one of many big and small events planned in cities across the nation on the same day.

For the conservatives, the gun nuts, and Republican politicians sworn to serve the NRA, be afraid, be very afraid. And keep trying to silence this protest by these young voters. Their anger is not going away, and their numbers are growing. How many millions in 2018? And how many millions more in 2020? Yes, be afraid, be very, very afraid. (And keep pi$$ing them off. It can only help their cause.)

As always, thoughtful comments are welcome. Unfortunately, the conservatives remain either unaware or will deny their individual response to this thread is their typical nonsense consisting of denial, alternate facts, and/or off-topic silliness. (e.g. non-sequiturs, ratings, transference, deflection, memes, etc.). Their mindless prattle is expected by people of reason, who also realize it is a waste of time to offer the conservatives any reply.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/organizers-plan-for-500000-attendees-at-march-for-our-lives-rally-in-washington/2018/02/22/a9ff1992-17f9-11e8-8ac5-84161111ace0_story.html?utm_term=.353cdd5cb3f1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/march-for-our-lives-gun-control-rally-bumped-from-mall-by-talent-show/2018/03/01/ad8c7268-1cc6-11e8-9496-c89dc446c2d3_story.html?utm_term=.66b0cab356d5

No these kids can't be silenced but they've got to do more than that. They have got to vote this coming November in the midterm election cycle. If you're 18 years old and not registered, register to vote now! If you're going to be 18 soon, register to vote as soon as you are. If you have friends that are 18 make sure they register and they VOTE. If you're away at college plan ahead to receive a mail-in ballot from your home state.

Someone who doesn't vote or votes for any Republican is voting for more sympathies and prayer vigils. Even though the Florida state legislature did a gun restriction on age, and as soon as you forget about it, and are not looking they'll go right back to the old gun regulations by lowering the age limit. Republicans have done this before. Do not be fooled by this.

The NRA is the Republican parties campaign cash cow and they are going to protect that cow no matter what.

The gun rights organization spent a stupendous $54.4 million in the 2016 election cycle, almost all of it in "independent expenditures," meaning spending for or against a candidate but not a direct contribution to a campaign. The money went almost entirely to Republicans to a degree that almost looks like a misprint (but isn't): Of independent expenditures totaling $52.6 million, Democrats received $265. Yes, that's 265 dollars.If you're looking for a reason that politicians are quick to declare that their "thoughts and prayers" are with the victims of the horrific slaughters that have become virtually routine in American life, but do nothing further to stop them, look no further.
'Thoughts and prayers' — and fistfuls of NRA money: Why America can't control guns

edtoon_COLOR_NRA_CO_Gun_Massacre.jpg

If you want common sense gun control in this country, you'll have to vote for Democrats this coming November in the 2018 mid term election cycle.

Last edited:
Students speaking out is good. But I hope they take this further and become interested more dimensions of politics....not just what affects THEM, but issues that affect the country as a whole.

I heard today that Google has new aps designed for children ages six and up to use on their own social media sites. They want to establish an ever growing following...addicted to staring at a screen and punching buttons all day long, every day they are alive. Parents should not fall for this crap. Children need to play outdoors, go camping (without electronics), go fishing, learn to grow things in a garden, learn to fix things that need repair, learn how mechanical things work, get into art, music, reading and writing. I am truly thankful that I went through my formative years (and many years thereafter) without electronic devices.

Agreed. To this day, I do not own a cell phone. I had a couple years ago but just never used them and neither were "smart" phones. One was still analog! And this forum is the only and exclusive extent to which my "social media" extends. And much that goes on here makes me not anxious to look for more. Anyone who has been lucky enough to study psych-ops and digital technologies knows the dangers and potential to get into people's heads, especially children, and program subtle and not so subtle attitudes and behavior into people. The Germans and Russians have made an especially thorough study of this as has the USA.

I heard today that Google has new aps designed for children ages six and up to use on their own social media sites. They want to establish an ever growing following...addicted to staring at a screen and punching buttons all day long, every day they are alive. Parents should not fall for this crap. Children need to play outdoors, go camping (without electronics), go fishing, learn to grow things in a garden, learn to fix things that need repair, learn how mechanical things work, get into art, music, reading and writing. I am truly thankful that I went through my formative years (and many years thereafter) without electronic devices.

Agreed. To this day, I do not own a cell phone. I had a couple years ago but just never used them and neither were "smart" phones. One was still analog! And this forum is the only and exclusive extent to which my "social media" extends. And much that goes on here makes me not anxious to look for more. Anyone who has been lucky enough to study psych-ops and digital technologies knows the dangers and potential to get into people's heads, especially children, and program subtle and not so subtle attitudes and behavior into people. The Germans and Russians have made an especially thorough study of this as has the USA.
I have tried other sites, but this is the best I have found. There was one that was close, but they had nowhere near the freedom of speech that exists here. That is good and bad for the postings in that it enables the puerility that is rampant in all but the well protected forums.

I have tried other sites, but this is the best I have found.

Doesn't say much for the world, and the general state of education and intelligence out there.

There was one that was close, but they had nowhere near the freedom of speech that exists here.

Yes, I'd rate USMB an A- in freedom of speech, unfortunately, that seems to invite a lot of garbage along with it. I say a lot of things kidding, to be provocative or tongue in cheek feeling intelligent readers who follow me can tell when I'm really serious, but unfortunately some amazingly stupid people here seem QUITE committed in their views!

That is good and bad for the postings in that it enables the puerility that is rampant in all but the well protected forums.

The question is not CAN the students be silenced. Rather it is SHOULD they be silenced. That answer is no, they should not be. They should speak, but be heard in context.

They should not be granted guru status on the subject of gun control. Several things. One, legislation made on emotion is rarely good legislation, and the kids are driven by emotion. Two, they are being exploited for political gain by democrats. That is really not controversial, because only those kids who echo the democrat agenda will have a place on the democrat funded stage. Three, how many of the kids come out after the fact to say they knew a shooter was going to do something, but did nothing? IOW, if they want to be heard, they should become part of the solution.

How many people are killed in Chicago every year and what is the dominantly used weapon?

Beats me. It is not the subject we were discussing, me poor stupid con tool. I know you are dumb, but even you should be able to keep your mind on the subject at hand. Which, me girl, is MASS KILLINGS. Shootings in Chicago are a different issue, and could as easily have occurred using revolvers, dipshit. I do hope that some ignorant clowns like yourself are able to break away from mouthing NRA talking points, and trying to actually think. But obviously it is too much for you.

Your lack of interest to learn anything at all is very telling.
Uh, thanks again for proving you are an idiot. The issue here is mass killings. If you want to discuss the shootings in Chicago, GO START A THREAD ABOUT THE ISSUE, DIPSHIT. I THINK, HOWEVER, THAT WE CAN ASSUME THAT YOU ARE INCAPABLE OF UNDERSTANDING ANYTHING AT ALL.

Here's another one: in the past 35 years, how many people age 18-20 used an assault rifle in a mass shooting?

As I doubt you have the capacity to find this in a search, here's the answer: FIVE. Five times something happened over a 35 year period, and you blithering loons are willing to destroy the Constitution over it.
REALLY, ME CON TROLL. YOU JUST SUGGESTED THAT CHANGING THE AGE TO BUY A GUN FROM 18 TO 21 WILL DO LITTLE TO STOP MURDERS. I WOULD AGREE, ME STUPID CON. NOTHING NEW THERE. DID YOU HAVE A POINT, OR DO YOU JUST LOVE POSTING CON AND NRA TALKING POINTS? IT IS POLITICIANS WHO ARE PUSHING THE IDEA OF CHANGING THE AGE TO BUY GUNS TO 21. I KNOW THAT THE NRA HATES THE IDEA, AND THEREFOR SO DO YOU. SURPRISE.
HAVE YOU ALWAYS BEEN THIS STUPID, OR HAVE YOU JUST BEEN WORKING ON IT LATELY. AND THOUGH I THINK CHANGING THE AGE BY 3 YEARS IS A WORTHLESS IDEA, WHERE YOU GET THE IDEA THAT IF THEY DID IT WOULD "DESTROY THE CONSTITUTION PROVES THAT YOU ARE BRAIN DEAD. DID THOSE SUPPORTING REQUIRING BUYERS OF ALCOHOL TO BE 21 ALSO DESTROY THE CONSTITUTION? JESUS, YOU ARE A CLOWN. REALLY, DOES BEING THAT STUPID HURT???

Typing all in caps and boldface doesn't make your silly nonsense turn into something reasoned and convincing, cupcake.

I never post nonsense, That you are incapable of understanding anything except NRA drivel, or conservative talking points, is your problem. I had just hoped that caps would help you concentrate. Obviously, it did not work. Again, have you always been this stupid? I have seen Jr. High papers showing way more intelligence than you.[/QUOTE]

Golly, look how "smart" it thinks it is :) Does my precious think that's it's insults are cute?

Typing all in caps and boldface doesn't make your silly nonsense turn into something reasoned and convincing, cupcake.

I never post nonsense, That you are incapable of understanding anything except NRA drivel, or conservative talking points, is your problem. I had just hoped that caps would help you concentrate. Obviously, it did not work. Again, have you always been this stupid? I have seen Jr. High papers showing way more intelligence than you.

To quote the occasionally and sporadically lamented TMN:

You are a LAIR!

Nope. I never, ever lie. I leave that to those with no integrity. Like you.

*sigh* . ^^^ Yet another lie ^^^

When oh when will this madness cease?

Not I, me poor ignorant con troll. I never lie, ever. But you as a con tool make accusations with no proof. Which is simply normal for you. So you are suggesting, by supporting the NRA in EVERY SINGLE INSTANCE, that the NRA is ALWAYS correct.
Wow. That would make it the only organization in the world that is alway correct. Or it simply shows you to be an idiot.

"Arms" include the weapons of war. Today's arms, notwithstanding Scalia's excessive defense in Heller, have an ability far beyond the imagination of those who signed off on the Bill of Rights. We've seen how effective an AR15 is in killing and maiming, common sense suggests such a weapon in the hands of untrained civilians of any age, is a foolish policy.

An ar15 is just a sporting rifle

Sure it is, one man's sport is another families nightmare.

People kill people not firearms, firearms have no control over people. Most people learn that in grade school. You Musta went to public school… A politically correct one

You're wrong. The simple possession of a gun changes how a person acts. The changes may not be perceptible, but they can and many times do provide false security to act in a manner they would not without having the gun in their possession.

How many would have been killed or wounded had the mass killers in recent school attacks used a knife, a baseball bat, or chain saw? All of which are easy to buy as are firearms.

In post 509 Rustic makes once claim I which I totally agree with, he claimed, "I don't understand". Clearly he doesn't on most issues.
Your first attempted point is obvious....except for the sense of security being false.

Your second attempted point is obviously bullshit. Knives, bats, and chainsaws are substantially easier to buy than firearms.

Your third attempted point is highly speculative and ignores that fact that all those weapons must be used in close proximity to the intended victims. Many others will run away. Some brave souls might attack the weapon wielder with school desks, chairs, coat racks, books...anything that can be thrown his way...then pile on and hold his ass to the floor until the man with the gun arrives.

The only advantage the knife and bat have over the chain saw is lack of significant noise other than screaming of the targets.

Three strikes...you're out!
Wrong....Just BAN GUNS and revoke the 2nd,educate the morons...THAT's 3 STRIKES,YOUR OUT

Can the students be silenced?

Sure, give it another week, all attention will be gone.

Time is the great Silencer.

People kill people not firearms, firearms have no control over people. Most people learn that in grade school. You Musta went to public school… A politically correct one

You're wrong. The simple possession of a gun changes how a person acts. The changes may not be perceptible, but they can and many times do provide false security to act in a manner they would not without having the gun in their possession.

How many would have been killed or wounded had the mass killers in recent school attacks used a knife, a baseball bat, or chain saw? All of which are easy to buy as are firearms.

In post 509 Rustic makes once claim I which I totally agree with, he claimed, "I don't understand". Clearly he doesn't on most issues.
Your first attempted point is obvious....except for the sense of security being false.

Your second attempted point is obviously bullshit. Knives, bats, and chainsaws are substantially easier to buy than firearms.

Your third attempted point is highly speculative and ignores that fact that all those weapons must be used in close proximity to the intended victims. Many others will run away. Some brave souls might attack the weapon wielder with school desks, chairs, coat racks, books...anything that can be thrown his way...then pile on and hold his ass to the floor until the man with the gun arrives.

The only advantage the knife and bat have over the chain saw is lack of significant noise other than screaming of the targets.

Wrong....Just BAN GUNS and revoke the 2nd,educate the morons...THAT's 3 STRIKES,YOUR OUT
Neither banning guns nor revoking the 2nd Amendment will take guns from criminals or from the government.

"Arms" include the weapons of war. Today's arms, notwithstanding Scalia's excessive defense in Heller, have an ability far beyond the imagination of those who signed off on the Bill of Rights. We've seen how effective an AR15 is in killing and maiming, common sense suggests such a weapon in the hands of untrained civilians of any age, is a foolish policy.

You put a lot of words together to spin my points. Credit to you for your attempt, which any demagogue and those who are biddable will find enlightening. I don't.

The simple possession of a gun does impact how a person acts. A gun exudes power, and power impacts judgment. That you deny this is dishonest, and if you've ever been entrusted the responsibility to have a gun in your possession you would understand my point. In some it maybe subtle, but he same impact on having power - for example being a peace officer - requires the actor to be mature and reasoned in their behavior.

Agreed, it maybe easier to buy a knife, a bat or a chainsaw than to buy a gun. Yet it is too easy to buy or steal a gun, given the objections of the NRA and the legislators who do their bidding.

My third point is spot on. Mass murder by guns, cars or bombs are less personal than one's fists, a knife, a bat or other deadly weapon which requires very close contact with the victim.

Guns can be used at a safe distance, and are more effective in mass killing that those few items I noted above; bombs and cars are restricted to time and place.

Neither banning guns nor revoking the 2nd Amendment will take guns from criminals or from the government.

Duh...

I never post nonsense, That you are incapable of understanding anything except NRA drivel, or conservative talking points, is your problem. I had just hoped that caps would help you concentrate. Obviously, it did not work. Again, have you always been this stupid? I have seen Jr. High papers showing way more intelligence than you.

To quote the occasionally and sporadically lamented TMN:

You are a LAIR!

Nope. I never, ever lie. I leave that to those with no integrity. Like you.

*sigh* . ^^^ Yet another lie ^^^

When oh when will this madness cease?

Not I, me poor ignorant con troll. I never lie, ever. But you as a con tool make accusations with no proof. Which is simply normal for you. So you are suggesting, by supporting the NRA in EVERY SINGLE INSTANCE, that the NRA is ALWAYS correct.
Wow. That would make it the only organization in the world that is alway correct. Or it simply shows you to be an idiot.
The NRA is not pro gun enough, this country needs to be better armed

Forum List

Back