Christian men are more manly and virile than atheist men

Not faith, but rather a court-room level of evidence, mi amigo. We do have more faith in science than Christians do, however.
When does science say that human life begins?
At conception, arguably.
There is no arguing about it. Have you ever heard of DNA? If I were to take a cell from a fetus and place it on the murder weapon, the police would be looking for that person because he would be the only person in the world that it would match. So not only is a human being created at conception, a specific person is created at conception. It isn't a potential person, it is a person with potential. And that person has all of the human characteristics he is supposed to have at that stage of his human life cycle. How do I know? Because science tells me so.

Excitement as GIANT dinosaur eggs unearthed after 70 MILLION years in Argentina

was that aborted

not all eggs are meant to hatch. not all pregnancies are meant to produce babies
Thank you for admitting that you operate on the faith of a belief system for SH. That is good to be objective.
Not faith, but rather a court-room level of evidence, mi amigo. We do have more faith in science than Christians do, however.
At conception, arguably.
There is no arguing about it. Have you ever heard of DNA? If I were to take a cell from a fetus and place it on the murder weapon, the police would be looking for that person because he would be the only person in the world that it would match. So not only is a human being created at conception, a specific person is created at conception. It isn't a potential person, it is a person with potential. And that person has all of the human characteristics he is supposed to have at that stage of his human life cycle. How do I know? Because science tells me so.
The Bible doesn't mention abortion at all - can we agree that if you were god that you'd of course have spoken up enough, enough so that your (god's) words of wisdom on abortion would be in the Bible and be very very clear? I would, because I care about humanity. What about you?

Take care.

>>“may the Lord cause you to become a curse among your people when he makes your womb miscarry and your abdomen swell. May this water enter your body so that your abdomen swells or your womb miscarries.”<<

You can never disprove that God exists

Ditto whether god exists, too..
God COULD be proven, if he was real, since he's the most (allegedly) powerful entitity of all time it could likely easily be proven - if he wanted it to be able to be proven.
So in Scientific Humanism we can't bring forward any particular unique god being true, until we see actual evidence that one particular one is actually true.

God COULD be proven, if he was real, since he's the most (allegedly) powerful entitity of all time it could likely easily be proven - if he wanted it to be able to be proven.
So in Scientific Humanism we can't bring forward any particular unique god being true, until we see actual evidence that one particular one is actually true.

Yep, a pretty easy thing to do. Just pop out and say 'here I am!". However, I'm of the belief if such a thing did happen, most christians wouldn't believe it was him.

At conception, arguably.

was that aborted

not all eggs are meant to hatch. not all pregnancies are meant to produce babies
At conception, arguably.
The Bible doesn't mention abortion at all - can we agree that if you were god that you'd of course have spoken up enough, enough so that your (god's) words of wisdom on abortion would be in the Bible and be very very clear? I would, because I care about humanity. What about you?

Take care.

>>“may the Lord cause you to become a curse among your people when he makes your womb miscarry and your abdomen swell. May this water enter your body so that your abdomen swells or your womb miscarries.”<<
Question: "What does the Bible say about abortion?"

Answer:
The Bible never specifically addresses the issue of abortion.
From What does the Bible say about abortion?
We have to read between the lines to try to decipher it. It would have been best if god just told us his view on abortion - but he didn't. So we're not convinced that the Bible is the world of an actual god, unfortunately.

Everything which is possible to exist will exist eventually.

And that's the reason I don't believe in a god....
Why is that?

Because everything is random. It's nature at work. I believe it is the world and universe doing its thing. You think some sort of supernatural being is responsible....shrug...
We live in a universe where there has never been an uncaused event which means that everything happens for a reason and everything has a purpose. They are even rediscovering theories which predicted that quantum mechanics is not statistical and recent experiments are backing them up.

Science tells us that every person who has ever walked this earth or will ever walk this earth were present when space and time were created. Since that time our energy and matter have merely changed form. Science tells us how matter evolved from sub atomic particles into beings that know and create, thus the universe became self aware. We know from reason and experience that it is the nature of intelligence to create intelligence. Intelligence or mind, rather than being a late outgrowth of the evolution of matter has always existed as the source or matrix. Professor George Wald states it thus:

“In my life as scientist I have come upon two major problems which, though rooted in science, though they would occur in this form only to a scientist, project beyond science, and are I think ultimately insoluble as science. That is hardly to be wondered at, since one involves consciousness and the other, cosmology.

The consciousness problem was hardly avoidable by one who has spent most of his life studying mechanisms of vision. We have learned a lot, we hope to learn much more; but none of it touches or even points, however tentatively, in the direction of what it means to see. Our observations in human eyes and nervous systems and in those of frogs are basically much alike. I know that I see; but does a frog see? It reacts to light; so do cameras, garage doors, any number of photoelectric devices. But does it see? Is it aware that it is reacting? There is nothing I can do as a scientist to answer that question, no way that I can identify either the presence or absence of consciousness. I believe consciousness to be a permanent condition that involves all sensation and perception. Consciousness seems to me to be wholly impervious to science.

The second problem involves the special properties of our universe. Life seems increasingly to be part of the order of nature. We have good reason to believe that we find ourselves in a universe permeated with life, in which life arises inevitably, given enough time, wherever the conditions exist that make it possible. Yet were any one of a number of the physical properties of our universe otherwise - some of them basic, others seemingly trivial, almost accidental - that life, which seems now to be so prevalent, would become impossible, here or anywhere. It takes no great imagination to conceive of other possible universes, each stable and workable in itself, yet lifeless. How is it that, with so many other apparent options, we are in a universe that possesses just that peculiar nexus of properties that breeds life?

It has occurred to me lately - I must confess with some shock at first to my scientific sensibilities - that both questions might be brought into some degree of congruence. This is with the assumption that Mind, rather than emerging as a late outgrowth in the evolution of life, has existed always as the matrix, the source and condition of physical reality - that the stuff of which physical reality is composed is mind-stuff. It is Mind that has composed a physical universe that breeds life, and so eventually evolves creatures that know and create.” George Wald, 1984, “Life and Mind in the Universe”, International Journal of Quantum Chemistry: Quantum Biology Symposium 11, 1984: 1-15.

At conception, arguably.

was that aborted

At conception, arguably.

Take care.

Answer:
We have to read between the lines to try to decipher it. It would have been best if god just told us his view on abortion - but he didn't. So we're not convinced that the Bible is the world of an actual god, unfortunately.
Thou shall not kill.

Why is that?

Because everything is random. It's nature at work. I believe it is the world and universe doing its thing. You think some sort of supernatural being is responsible....shrug...
We live in a universe where the laws of nature are such that beings that know and create will eventually arise. There is nothing random about that.

Yep, a pretty easy thing to do. Just pop out and say 'here I am!". However, I'm of the belief if such a thing did happen, most christians wouldn't believe it was him.
Yes, Scientific Humanists, if we were in god's supposedly all-powerful shoes, would of course pop up and give a court-room level of evidence that god is real, of course. I think any person who cares for humanity would agree with us on that. So because he hasn't obviously done that, we can't bring forward "god"....not yet, at least. Maybe god will care for us enough some day to do that....that would be a pretty big day. :)

was that aborted

At conception, arguably.

Take care.

Answer:
Thou shall not kill.
I think we can agree that Scientific Humanists are right when they'd say that "I'd have spoken up, clearly, and enough, so that people knew my (god's) exact stand on abortion if I was in god's shoes, instead of being so unclear as he is now". Can we agree on that, ding?

Have a great night.

[Q
We live in a universe where there has never been an uncaused event which means that everything happens for a reason and everything has a purpose. They are even rediscovering theories which predicted that quantum mechanics is not statistical and recent experiments are backing them up.

Science tells us that every person who has ever walked this earth or will ever walk this earth were present when space and time were created. Since that time our energy and matter have merely changed form. Science tells us how matter evolved from sub atomic particles into beings that know and create, thus the universe became self aware. We know from reason and experience that it is the nature of intelligence to create intelligence. Intelligence or mind, rather than being a late outgrowth of the evolution of matter has always existed as the source or matrix. Professor George Wald states it thus:

“In my life as scientist I have come upon two major problems which, though rooted in science, though they would occur in this form only to a scientist, project beyond science, and are I think ultimately insoluble as science. That is hardly to be wondered at, since one involves consciousness and the other, cosmology.

The consciousness problem was hardly avoidable by one who has spent most of his life studying mechanisms of vision. We have learned a lot, we hope to learn much more; but none of it touches or even points, however tentatively, in the direction of what it means to see. Our observations in human eyes and nervous systems and in those of frogs are basically much alike. I know that I see; but does a frog see? It reacts to light; so do cameras, garage doors, any number of photoelectric devices. But does it see? Is it aware that it is reacting? There is nothing I can do as a scientist to answer that question, no way that I can identify either the presence or absence of consciousness. I believe consciousness to be a permanent condition that involves all sensation and perception. Consciousness seems to me to be wholly impervious to science.

The second problem involves the special properties of our universe. Life seems increasingly to be part of the order of nature. We have good reason to believe that we find ourselves in a universe permeated with life, in which life arises inevitably, given enough time, wherever the conditions exist that make it possible. Yet were any one of a number of the physical properties of our universe otherwise - some of them basic, others seemingly trivial, almost accidental - that life, which seems now to be so prevalent, would become impossible, here or anywhere. It takes no great imagination to conceive of other possible universes, each stable and workable in itself, yet lifeless. How is it that, with so many other apparent options, we are in a universe that possesses just that peculiar nexus of properties that breeds life?

It has occurred to me lately - I must confess with some shock at first to my scientific sensibilities - that both questions might be brought into some degree of congruence. This is with the assumption that Mind, rather than emerging as a late outgrowth in the evolution of life, has existed always as the matrix, the source and condition of physical reality - that the stuff of which physical reality is composed is mind-stuff. It is Mind that has composed a physical universe that breeds life, and so eventually evolves creatures that know and create.” George Wald, 1984, “Life and Mind in the Universe”, International Journal of Quantum Chemistry: Quantum Biology Symposium 11, 1984: 1-15.

All interesting stuff and points. Still, doesn't make me believe that some super being created all this. In fact, it does that exact opposite. I think the randomness of life is explained at the randomness of life....that is all it is...

Gnosticism certainly is followed today.

Some of you are making the far, far too hard, whether theist or atheist.

Thou shall not kill.
That arguably wasn't included in the 10 "commandments" of Scientific Humanism because people are simply smart enough to already know not to kill people - no need to talk down to people. That god thinks we're kind of dumb, it appears, but we believe in people more than god does.
If that were the case people still wouldn't be doing it and rationalizing that what they did wasn't wrong. Which is exactly what you do when you rationalize that abortion is good and just.

was that aborted

At conception, arguably.

Take care.

Answer:
Thou shall not kill.
"Follow the laws of the democracy you are in" is better than "thou shall not kill", because we DO kill ISIS, we do kill Nazis, we do kill Saddam's goons that attack us, we do kill death-row inmates, we did kill Anwar Al-Alacki, etc.

[Q

All interesting stuff and points. Still, doesn't make me believe that some super being created all this. In fact, it does that exact opposite. I think the randomness of life is explained at the randomness of life....that is all it is...
Then don't. I couldn't care less. Seriously. But I am here to tell you that nothing is random. Everything happens for a reason. Now don't go all ridiculous on me over this without first understanding what I have really said.

Why is that?

God has a plan!!!! You know, like letting children starve and letting children die from horrific cancers. :)

Forum List

Back