Cinco de Mayo

Screenshot_20230505_061844_Google.jpg

Happy Cinco De Mayo everyone! :)
/----/ Fun facts: Cinco De Mayo gained nationwide popularity beyond those of Mexican-American heritage in the 1980s due to advertising campaigns by beer, wine, and tequila companies. The day marks when French troops under Élie Frédéric Forey would eventually take the Mexican city of Puebla. In other words, Mexico was defeated at that battle.
iu

Mexico freed itself from French occupation anniversary.
Basically a holiday created to bill silly Americans out of money. It follows closely after Day of the Dead celebrations.
/----/ "Mexico freed itself from French occupation anniversary."
No. They won a battle but lost the city.
The Battle of Puebla (Spanish: Batalla de Puebla; French: Bataille de Puebla) took place on 5 May, Cinco de Mayo, 1862, near Puebla de los Ángeles, during the Second French intervention in Mexico. French troops under the command of Charles de Lorencez repeatedly failed to storm the forts of Loreto and Guadalupe situated on top of the hills overlooking the city of Puebla, and eventually retreated to Orizaba in order to await reinforcements. Lorencez was dismissed from his command, and French troops under Élie Frédéric Forey would eventually take the city, but the Mexican victory at Puebla against a better equipped [5] force provided patriotic inspiration to the Mexicans. - Wikipedia

Happy Cinco De Mayo everyone! :)
I understand that Cinco de Mayo is celebrated more widely in the States than in Mexico.

Is that true?

In any case, congratulations to the Mexican people on that holiday,'

It celebrates, I believe, the day when Mexican troops defeated some French troops that had been sent to Mexico to take over that country.

It is not, however, intended to celebrate the independence of Mexico from Spain.

I hope that all Mexicans in Mexico and here in the States have a nice day.

Bad news for anyone celebrating Cinco de Mayo, who thinks that Corona is the beer with which to celebrate. If you happen to be boycotting Bud Light, you may be sad to know that Corona is now made by InBev, the same mega-brewing corporation that makes Bud Light.

No mas Coronas por usted.

Forum List

Back