Cinco de Mayo

I understand that Cinco de Mayo is celebrated more widely in the States than in Mexico.

Is that true?

In any case, congratulations to the Mexican people on that holiday,'

It celebrates, I believe, the day when Mexican troops defeated some French troops that had been sent to Mexico to take over that country.

It is not, however, intended to celebrate the independence of Mexico from Spain.

I hope that all Mexicans in Mexico and here in the States have a nice day.
7kvs86osd1ya1.jpg

Why is it happy, and what is Cinco De Maya anyway?

It commemorates the Mexican army's defeat of the French army in the Battle of Puebla in 1861 during the Franco-Mexican War. The Mexicans were outnumbered, 6,000 French troops to 2,000 Mexican. At the end of the day, the French finally retreated. They had lost nearly 500 soldiers. Fewer than 100 Mexicans were killed. It was not a major strategic win in the war against the French, but it was a great symbolic victory for the Mexicans.

In Mexico, it is also known as Battle of Puebla Day and is celebrated primarily in the state of Puebla alone.

Nobody wants to pee on a party but Cinco De Mayo seems to be based on an obscure naval battle that Mexico lost.
/——/ Land battle,actually.

Bad news for anyone celebrating Cinco de Mayo, who thinks that Corona is the beer with which to celebrate. If you happen to be boycotting Bud Light, you may be sad to know that Corona is now made by InBev, the same mega-brewing corporation that makes Bud Light.

No mas Coronas por usted.

/----/
345052304_622997839704522_3991480883550965295_n.jpg

Forum List

Back