Citizen ID Card:

MikeK

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2010
Brick, New Jersey
Senators Charles Schumer and Lindsey Graham have proposed implementation of a biometric Citizen ID Card. Today I received an email from Rand Paul asking me to sign a petition opposing this implementation. I will not sign the petition because I believe the biometric Citizen ID card is a very good idea. Here's why:

Fake ID is a major impediment to enforcing our immigration laws. All sorts of phony ID documents, from birth certificates, Social Security cards and driver licenses to passports and membership cards are available for a price. As long as an illegal alien has one or more of these documents on his/her person an employer is protected against legal action by INS for hiring him/her -- regardless of how obvious the deception. The situation is so pervasive that some regular employers of illegals steer newly-arrived "wetbacks" to fake ID peddlers.

For those who don't know what a biometric ID card is, briefly stated it is one which cannot be faked, mainly because the validity of the data it contains may be instantly verified by "swiping" the card in an on-line reader, just like a credit card in a retail store, thus comparing it with information on file at a central government database -- which includes a photograph, fingerprint, and physical description.

The reason given by those who oppose this ID card, which every legitimate U.S. citizen will be required to obtain, is it will enable government to more closely keep track of us.

Now I am normally opposed to intrusive government policies and practices, but in this case I believe the purpose of the Citizen ID Card justifies its implementation. As far as government having the information it will contain, what relevant information is there about us that isn't already available for government to access if it chooses to?

While I personally believe the reason for opposing this ID card borders on paranoia I'll be interested in reading opinions of others.

Don't like it. Cost to implement would be insane. It would be much cheaper and more effective to do immigration reform and then lock down the borders.

I'm with Rand Paul on this one. Totally against it, keep government out of my business. Illegals don't have the smarts or the money to obtain foolproof fake I.D.s. Besides, no one is willing to kick them out anyway, this administration ENCOURAGES them to come here and REFUSES to make them leave. We already know who and where they are but can't touch them. It's not worth handing over our freedom or privacy. This is just a way for the government to keep track of LEGAL Americans.

Senators Charles Schumer and Lindsey Graham have proposed implementation of a biometric Citizen ID Card. Today I received an email from Rand Paul asking me to sign a petition opposing this implementation. I will not sign the petition because I believe the biometric Citizen ID card is a very good idea. Here's why:

Fake ID is a major impediment to enforcing our immigration laws. All sorts of phony ID documents, from birth certificates, Social Security cards and driver licenses to passports and membership cards are available for a price. As long as an illegal alien has one or more of these documents on his/her person an employer is protected against legal action by INS for hiring him/her -- regardless of how obvious the deception. The situation is so pervasive that some regular employers of illegals steer newly-arrived "wetbacks" to fake ID peddlers.

For those who don't know what a biometric ID card is, briefly stated it is one which cannot be faked, mainly because the validity of the data it contains may be instantly verified by "swiping" the card in an on-line reader, just like a credit card in a retail store, thus comparing it with information on file at a central government database -- which includes a photograph, fingerprint, and physical description.

The reason given by those who oppose this ID card, which every legitimate U.S. citizen will be required to obtain, is it will enable government to more closely keep track of us.

Now I am normally opposed to intrusive government policies and practices, but in this case I believe the purpose of the Citizen ID Card justifies its implementation. As far as government having the information it will contain, what relevant information is there about us that isn't already available for government to access if it chooses to?

While I personally believe the reason for opposing this ID card borders on paranoia I'll be interested in reading opinions of others.

nope not interested

I'm with Rand Paul on this one. Totally against it, keep government out of my business. Illegals don't have the smarts or the money to obtain foolproof fake I.D.s. Besides, no one is willing to kick them out anyway, this administration ENCOURAGES them to come here and REFUSES to make them leave. We already know who and where they are but can't touch them. It's not worth handing over our freedom or privacy. This is just a way for the government to keep track of LEGAL Americans.

Really? They don't have the smarts or the money to obtain foolproof fake ID's?

If not...............then why are there so many in the U.S. right now?

Try again Stupid Jackass..........................

If you had read beyond that one sentence before jumping to respond, you would have seen that I answered your stupid question in the next sentence. No one is willing to deport them and they know it. They don't NEED fake I.D.s you dumb turd.

If you had read beyond that one sentence before jumping to respond, you would have seen that I answered your stupid question in the next sentence. No one is willing to deport them and they know it. They don't NEED fake I.D.s you dumb turd.

If so..........................then why has Obama deported more illegals than Jr. ever did?

If so..........................then why has Obama deported more illegals than Jr. ever did?
What does THAT lie have to do with this thread, or what I said? It doesn't MATTER which one them deported the most illegals, what matters is that probably less than one half of one percent are ever deported (under EITHER party). Now stop trying to derail a legitimate and interesting thread.

I'm all for it

A single card that proves without a doubt who you are. Use it for identification, voting, a drivers license, a credit card, a health insurance card, social security, passport, on line purchases....

Stops identity theft and you only have to carry one card with you

Liberals, consider this...a citizen I.D.'s would make it viable to dismantle the anchor baby system.

If neither mother nor father has a Citizen I.D., the child will not be a citizen, regardless of where they are born.

Liberals, consider this...a citizen I.D.'s would make it viable to dismantle the anchor baby system.

If neither mother nor father has a Citizen I.D., the child will not be a citizen, regardless of where they are born.

It would stop illegal immigration in its tracks
Go for a job, scan your ID and your citizenship status would show up

Children of illegals would still be US citizens if they are born here

Why? If there was a system in place that proved the citizenship of the parents, and all citizens were required to have one, there would be no need to continue that system. Children of citizens would become citizens, others would retain their parents citizenship.

Go to the hospital, scan your I.D., that's your child's citizenship.

Go to get a birth certificate, scan the parents I.D., that's the child's citizenship.

The law of unintended consequences.

Last edited:
Rather than a card, wouldn't it be easier to say, carry a mark or tattoo on your hand or forehead?

Just kidding.

Against it. Too much opportunity for abuse years downstream.

Why? If there was a system in place that proved the citizenship of the parents, and all citizens were required to have one, there would be no need to continue that system. Children of citizens would become citizens, others would retain their parents citizenship.

Go to the hospital, scan your I.D., that's your child's citizenship.

Go to get a birth certificate, scan the parents I.D., that's the child's citizenship.

The law of unintended consequences.

Has nothing to do with ID cards and everything to do with the Constitutional definition of who is a citizen

[ame=http://youtu.be/YIR97Ubfpa4]COP OUT - NO! - YouTube[/ame]

Don't like it. Cost to implement would be insane. It would be much cheaper and more effective to do immigration reform and then lock down the borders.
I disagree. The effect the card will have on illegal immigration will result in significant savings in enforcement costs over time. Once employers realize they can no longer get away with hiring illegals there will be a massive migration back to Mexico.

I'm with Rand Paul on this one. Totally against it, keep government out of my business.
Think! Do you have a Social Security number? A driver license? Do you file a 1040 form? Are you a veteran? Are you registered to vote? Ever been treated by a doctor? In hospital? Ever been arrested? Done some time? What information do you think a Citizen ID Card will provide that Government doesn't already have on you?

Illegals don't have the smarts or the money to obtain foolproof fake I.D.s.
They pay a "coyote" typically $2,500 to guide them across the desert. The fake ID is readily available to them in Mexican and American border towns and costs between $50 and $200, depending on the type.

Besides, no one is willing to kick them out anyway, this administration ENCOURAGES them to come here and REFUSES to make them leave. We already know who and where they are but can't touch them.
The INS frequently raids businesses where illegals are employed. The employers cannot be prosecuted because the illegals they hire possess fake ID. These employers know very well it is fake but that cannot be proved. An addressable, biometric ID card will eliminate that rat-hole. And once the employers know they are subject to prosecution they will stop hiring illegals -- and the reverse migration will commence.

And don't let anyone tell you the INS isn't actively engaged in arresting and deporting illegals. The ID card will improve their efficiency by a very broad margin -- in spite of any efforts on the part of this administration.

It's not worth handing over our freedom or privacy. This is just a way for the government to keep track of LEGAL Americans.
I don't understand this objection. What is it you think the government doesn't already know about you? Please explain.

Forum List

Back