Court allows Christian baker Jack Phillips to sue Colorado for anti-religious hostility

The issue here is the definition of a "public accomodation." To progressives a PA is anytime money changes hands. In reality the meaning was really to cover areas of assembly and locations of point source commerce. Things like hotel rooms, movie theaters, restaurants, and retail stores.

I do think PA laws are allowable, but only when it comes to an actual Public Accommodation.

A good example would be a hotel with conference rooms. I would say PA laws would require them to rent their rooms out regardless of the person in question, but they would be able to pick and choose who can rent their conference rooms out for an event. That being said they could not deny entry of a person to said conference or event based on who the person was.

Confusing? Yes, but it allows the maximum amount of freedom for the maximum amount of people.

Just find another hotel. I am not sure why some businesses get more rights to refuse people they don’t want to accommodate, but others do not. There was a time for public accommodation laws in nation, but I think that time has pasted. The free market will decide if businesses will rewarded or rejected for their practices. Easy peasy, George and Weezie.

The thing is hotel rooms, as places where people visit, may actually fall under federal scrutiny, as they are part of interstate commerce.

And finding another hotel at 3:00 AM when tired of driving can be an issue, and falls under the "immediacy" requirement I have often used in these posts as a reason PA laws are needed and are valid.

When you invite someone onto your property to do point of sale commerce, government can have a say in it. To me they have much less of a say with contracted services that are not time-sensitive, non-vital, and easily replaceable.

No.

Hotel rooms are not "part of interstate commerce". The hotel is in one state; you're in the same state while you're renting the room. Really, really tired of all these weasely excuses for the federal government to micromanage things.

And 1) why in the hell are you leaving it until 3 am to find a hotel room? 2) where the hell are you, that there's only one hotel? Can't say that YOUR lack of planning is anyone else's responsibility.

WHY does government get a say in anyone's commerce? You state this as though it's a self-evident fact, like "Gravity makes you fall down". I'm not seeing it.

When you have a business where the business is letting in the public, PA laws can and should apply.

Needing a hotel room can be a time sensitive matter, and being somewhere as "X" isn't offensive to anyone so far as I know.

Absolutism is what gets you BAKE OR DIE!. We have to be better than that.

More blank assertions. "If you're doing business that actually involves doing business, that means the government takes control. Because I think so!"

We aren't going to "be better than that" while you're weaseling around with this "It's wrong . . . except when I think it's okay" BS. That just opens the door for more retards to impose THEIR occasions when they think it's okay. After all, if YOU get to abrogate people's freedom for your priorities, why shouldn't they?

If you own a restaurant that allows people in to sit and eat you are a PA and have to follow PA laws. I don't see the issue with this. The same restaurant, however could refuse to host an event it didn't like without issue, because that is a contracted event, and not a PA.

1. Point of sale items
2. Actual ground area open to the public
3. Timely or nessasary transaction
4. Not easily found in the area.

It doesn't need to be all 3, just a combo of two or so.
It will be the right of any & all to not object to people , but instead, behaviors, ideals or rituals that can be turned away.

Informing will be key.

Example 1: two men want a hotel room at 3:00am & there are no others around. They quietly stand at the desk & get their keys. The proprietor has no idea if they’re just weary friends on a car ride, two businessmen trying to save a buck sharing a room. Whatever.

Example 2: two men come up to the desk fondling each other saying “oh how I’m going to bend you over the bed tonight!” The Muslim proprietor tells them to look elsewhere. Many many hotel keeps in rural areas are Hindu or Muslim.

What a person does in their hotel room does not require an endorsement or participation by the person selling the room.

So long as the person selling the room is you. Amazingly enough, hotels actually have a long history of restricting the activity that can go on there, because the owners reserve the right to NOT have their properties turned into something they don't want them to be. Why do you think many hotels wouldn't let you check in without luggage for a long time? Because they didn't want to become the local "no tell motel".

Most of that history was pre-civil rights laws during the bad old days.

More blank assertions. "If you're doing business that actually involves doing business, that means the government takes control. Because I think so!"

We aren't going to "be better than that" while you're weaseling around with this "It's wrong . . . except when I think it's okay" BS. That just opens the door for more retards to impose THEIR occasions when they think it's okay. After all, if YOU get to abrogate people's freedom for your priorities, why shouldn't they?
Shhhhh! :eusa_shhh:

You're interfering with the LGBT cults' desires that Colorado and other states establish their religion as the official enforceable religion! How DARE you!:1peleas:

Because I'm just that sort of rebel.

Touche' :clap2:

Just find another hotel. I am not sure why some businesses get more rights to refuse people they don’t want to accommodate, but others do not. There was a time for public accommodation laws in nation, but I think that time has pasted. The free market will decide if businesses will rewarded or rejected for their practices. Easy peasy, George and Weezie.

The thing is hotel rooms, as places where people visit, may actually fall under federal scrutiny, as they are part of interstate commerce.

And finding another hotel at 3:00 AM when tired of driving can be an issue, and falls under the "immediacy" requirement I have often used in these posts as a reason PA laws are needed and are valid.

When you invite someone onto your property to do point of sale commerce, government can have a say in it. To me they have much less of a say with contracted services that are not time-sensitive, non-vital, and easily replaceable.

No.

Hotel rooms are not "part of interstate commerce". The hotel is in one state; you're in the same state while you're renting the room. Really, really tired of all these weasely excuses for the federal government to micromanage things.

And 1) why in the hell are you leaving it until 3 am to find a hotel room? 2) where the hell are you, that there's only one hotel? Can't say that YOUR lack of planning is anyone else's responsibility.

WHY does government get a say in anyone's commerce? You state this as though it's a self-evident fact, like "Gravity makes you fall down". I'm not seeing it.

When you have a business where the business is letting in the public, PA laws can and should apply.

Needing a hotel room can be a time sensitive matter, and being somewhere as "X" isn't offensive to anyone so far as I know.

If you own a restaurant that allows people in to sit and eat you are a PA and have to follow PA laws. I don't see the issue with this. The same restaurant, however could refuse to host an event it didn't like without issue, because that is a contracted event, and not a PA.

Wow, you are REALLY deaf to anything but the voices in your own head on this.

Let me type this slowly so you'll get it: there is no number of times that you are going to tell me that your viewpoint is fact that is going to make it true, or make me accept it.

If I own a restaurant that sells food to people instead of just giving it away, YOU THINK that makes my restaurant public property and subject to you telling me how to run it because you want to. And of course you don't see the issue with getting your own way. No one ever does.

The reality is that just because I sell my products and services for a profit does NOT mean that anyone and everyone is entitled to be my customer if I don't want to enter into the transaction with them. They do not have a right to my services just because others have my services.

Learn the difference between "selling to the public" and "being public property".

And do not give me that crap about you "generously" granting people the right to remain unenslaved in contracted events, so long as they wear their chains quietly the rest of the time.

No.

Let me type this slowly so you'll get it: there is no number of times that you are going to tell me that your viewpoint is fact that is going to make it true, or make me accept it.

If I own a restaurant that sells food to people instead of just giving it away, YOU THINK that makes my restaurant public property and subject to you telling me how to run it because you want to. And of course you don't see the issue with getting your own way. No one ever does.

The reality is that just because I sell my products and services for a profit does NOT mean that anyone and everyone is entitled to be my customer if I don't want to enter into the transaction with them. They do not have a right to my services just because others have my services.

Learn the difference between "selling to the public" and "being public property".

And do not give me that crap about you "generously" granting people the right to remain unenslaved in contracted events, so long as they wear their chains quietly the rest of the time.

You are letting the public into your property for the purpose of selling them food you are preparing. By inviting the public into your property for the purpose of commerce, you are letting the government have a say in how you conduct that commerce, as commerce is something regulated by most State constitutions at the State level, and the Federal Constitution at the federal level.

Same as a hotel, same as a movie theater, and same as a point of sale business like a supermarket or bodega.

And if you want to get snitty, I can give it right back, you self centered twat.

1. Point of sale items

It will be the right of any & all to not object to people , but instead, behaviors, ideals or rituals that can be turned away.

Informing will be key.

Example 1: two men want a hotel room at 3:00am & there are no others around. They quietly stand at the desk & get their keys. The proprietor has no idea if they’re just weary friends on a car ride, two businessmen trying to save a buck sharing a room. Whatever.

Example 2: two men come up to the desk fondling each other saying “oh how I’m going to bend you over the bed tonight!” The Muslim proprietor tells them to look elsewhere. Many many hotel keeps in rural areas are Hindu or Muslim.

What a person does in their hotel room does not require an endorsement or participation by the person selling the room.

So long as the person selling the room is you. Amazingly enough, hotels actually have a long history of restricting the activity that can go on there, because the owners reserve the right to NOT have their properties turned into something they don't want them to be. Why do you think many hotels wouldn't let you check in without luggage for a long time? Because they didn't want to become the local "no tell motel".

No, actually, you just ASSUME that, because that's how you want it to be. If you can just dismiss it into the general "before we made laws putting people in their proper places days", then that makes it okay for you to continue on with forcing your desires on others.

1. Point of sale items

Informing will be key.

No, actually, you just ASSUME that, because that's how you want it to be. If you can just dismiss it into the general "before we made laws putting people in their proper places days", then that makes it okay for you to continue on with forcing your desires on others.

Sorry, but selling some gay guy a cupcake over the counter is not forcing them to do anything. Having some hotel clerck check a gay couple in isn't forcing them to do anything other than their job.

Forcing a baker to bake a cake for an SSM wedding against their moral code IS forcing them to do something, and thus doesn't fall under PA laws for the reasons I have repeatedly listed.

You only have absolute property rights if you don't invite the public onto your property. Once you do that, the government has a dog in the fight.

No.

You are letting the public into your property for the purpose of selling them food you are preparing. By inviting the public into your property for the purpose of commerce, you are letting the government have a say in how you conduct that commerce, as commerce is something regulated by most State constitutions at the State level, and the Federal Constitution at the federal level.

Same as a hotel, same as a movie theater, and same as a point of sale business like a supermarket or bodega.

And if you want to get snitty, I can give it right back, you self centered twat.

I am letting PEOPLE I WANT TO TRANSACT BUSINESS WITH onto my property. That does not mean I have given up the right to refuse to transact business with people of my choosing, no matter how much you want to believe that I have done so. If I sell a hamburger to every frigging person in the city, YOU still do not have any right or entitlement to a hamburger from me, if I don't want to sell you one.

And thanks for diving right to the NEXT left-think argument: "This is what the law should be, because this is what the law is!"

If you're looking for an excuse to get your panties in a wad because I'm treating your descent into Leftism Lite with the disdain it - and you - deserve, let me help you out. I am embarrassed on your behalf at the flimsiness of your so-called "conservatism" and how quickly you slurp down the leftist Kool-Aid and goosestep along with them the instant you think it benefits you. I assume that at the moment you adopted left-think to serve your own ends, you also acquired their utter lack of shame, but believe me, you should be ashamed.

As far as I'm concerned, slavemaster, you're no better than Clayton or Lice. Worse, in fact, because you know better, and you sold out.

Informing will be key.

Sorry, but selling some gay guy a cupcake over the counter is not forcing them to do anything. Having some hotel clerck check a gay couple in isn't forcing them to do anything other than their job.

Forcing a baker to bake a cake for an SSM wedding against their moral code IS forcing them to do something, and thus doesn't fall under PA laws for the reasons I have repeatedly listed.

You only have absolute property rights if you don't invite the public onto your property. Once you do that, the government has a dog in the fight.

Sorry, but you don't get to decide what other people's beliefs do and do not entail. As I have already told all of the OTHER leftists on this subject, no one has asked for or needs to ask for your endorsement of whether or not their beliefs are "correct". You aren't God, no matter how megalomaniacal the leftist Kool-Aid has made you, and you don't get to decree what God does or doesn't want of other people.

Another blank statement of "No, I think it should be this way, so it IS! This is fact because I say so!" *yawn* Apparently joining the leftists rotted your brain at the same time it eroded your principles.

I am letting PEOPLE I WANT TO TRANSACT BUSINESS WITH onto my property. That does not mean I have given up the right to refuse to transact business with people of my choosing, no matter how much you want to believe that I have done so. If I sell a hamburger to every frigging person in the city, YOU still do not have any right or entitlement to a hamburger from me, if I don't want to sell you one.

And thanks for diving right to the NEXT left-think argument: "This is what the law should be, because this is what the law is!"

If you're looking for an excuse to get your panties in a wad because I'm treating your descent into Leftism Lite with the disdain it - and you - deserve, let me help you out. I am embarrassed on your behalf at the flimsiness of your so-called "conservatism" and how quickly you slurp down the leftist Kool-Aid and goosestep along with them the instant you think it benefits you. I assume that at the moment you adopted left-think to serve your own ends, you also acquired their utter lack of shame, but believe me, you should be ashamed.

As far as I'm concerned, slavemaster, you're no better than Clayton or Lice. Worse, in fact, because you know better, and you sold out.

In the real world, you do. The government has the right to regulate commerce, and by letting people on your property, you allow them to regulate YOUR commerce.

You are an absolutist, just as bad as any ivory tower leftist. Your demand that everyone be "holier than the pope" is an unworkable situation in the real world.

That you have to resort calling me a leftist shows how delusional you are.

Take your purity tests and cram them up your ass.

Sorry, but you don't get to decide what other people's beliefs do and do not entail. As I have already told all of the OTHER leftists on this subject, no one has asked for or needs to ask for your endorsement of whether or not their beliefs are "correct". You aren't God, no matter how megalomaniacal the leftist Kool-Aid has made you, and you don't get to decree what God does or doesn't want of other people.

Another blank statement of "No, I think it should be this way, so it IS! This is fact because I say so!" *yawn* Apparently joining the leftists rotted your brain at the same time it eroded your principles.

LOL, calling me a "leftist" is fucking hilarious.

Asking someone to "just sell the cupcake" as part of PA laws is very different from making them perform a contracted service for a ceremony they don't believe in.

That you refuse to see this or acknowledge reality makes you just as bad as the BAKE OR DIE morons like JoeBlow.

As I’ve said before, the Court will say that nobody can be forced to enable, support or promote a behavior, ideal or ritual they are fundamentally opposed to.

The key will be informing the proprietor of said behavior or ideal or ritual.

Asking someone to "just sell the cupcake" as part of PA laws is very different from making them perform a contracted service for a ceremony they don't believe in.

That you refuse to see this or acknowledge reality makes you just as bad as the BAKE OR DIE morons like JoeBlow.

Calling you a leftist USED to be hilarious. Then you started thinking and talking like them. Now it's an all-too-accurate condemnation that you richly deserve.

That you refuse to see and acknowledge this is just sad.

Done listening to you and talking to you like you're still a person. Take your repellent, sell-out ass back to your new masters, dog.

Calling you a leftist USED to be hilarious. Then you started thinking and talking like them. Now it's an all-too-accurate condemnation that you richly deserve.

That you refuse to see and acknowledge this is just sad.

Done listening to you and talking to you like you're still a person. Take your repellent, sell-out ass back to your new masters, dog.

First, you don't get to decide what I am, you narcissistic bitch.

Second, good luck getting anything you want to happen politically when you limit yourself to your own narrow absolutist clique and decide anyone who is even slightly different than you politically is automatically in bed with the real opposition.

You are now in the same pool of idiots as JoeBlow, WryCatcher and all the other morons who are narrow minded half-wits.

So then why did Colorado allow gays to refuse printing offensive messages to their buttsex ideology?

Because being a bigot isn't a protected class. Some day soon, we'll send you all to nice deprogramming camps to get your heads straight.

So if Muslims sell custom wedding cakes, the have to make gay ones?

Sure. Why not.

The gays didn’t succeed in driving Chic Fil-a into bankruptcy.

They didn't have to. The Board told Dan Cathy to knock it the fuck off with the political stuff, they were there to sell Chicken.

Same shit, different day.

Your opinion on this matter is worthless because you are a bigoted old crank.

And you still don't have a point. Tell you what, if I told my boss I didn't want to work with someone because he was a Mormon, my ass would be so fired.

Christian Bakers need to do their damned jobs, or find something else to do for a living.

Or you just live up to the services you offered, period.

This really isn't complicated.

Here's my solution.

"God says that I shouldn't do this event.'

"Okay, we'll beat you with this baseball bat until God Stops us. Deal?"

"Um, maybe I'll just do the event."

Okay. Tell you what, try that out if you even own a business. Let me know how that goes for you.

Now, funny thing. I'm happy to just take people's money. I don't care if you are a right wing asshole who comes to me wearing a MAGA hat and an NRA Tee-shirt. If you have my money, you get the documents I offered to make for you. I will happily take your money and I will enjoy spending it.

Naw, what's silly is you trying to rationalize that "some" bigotry is okay if you make it sound sincere enough.

So if I can claim to be a sincere follower of Quetzalcoatl, can I cut the hearts out of my enemies if I use an authentic obsidian knife?

images

I mean, I agree that usually murder laws are a good thing, when they protect me, but I truly believe there should be a carve out (no pun intended) to let me do what i want.

So then why did Colorado allow gays to refuse printing offensive messages to their buttsex ideology?

Because being a bigot isn't a protected class. Some day soon, we'll send you all to nice deprogramming camps to get your heads straight.

They do that in Scientology and most other cults too. What happens when you force another person to write something offensive to them? JoeB says you are a bigot. Unless you're a member of the cult of LGBT and you're trying to force someone else to discard how they feel about HIV, buttsex, depriving kids of a mother or father for life with a contract etc. Then you're "a protected class". Well, partial protected class because just some deviant sex addicts but not others got the benefits and privileges of the misinterpretation of the 14th Amendment in Obergefell.. You know how the 14th is all about playing favorites! (Ginsburg and 4 other Justices seem to know this but nobody else does).

Forum List

Back