Defense Spending?

I have 4 times now posted an explanation of Gates has reduced spending and cut future prgms to the tune of 250 billion over the next 4 years.

Is there more? sure, when we start bring the Afghan. troops back next summer the budget for that expedition will be reduced and we can look again at the force structure, I have no issue with that.

Right. It'll be like that post-Cold War 'peace dividend'. I'm sure the rightwing will sign on in droves.

All of Europe, Japan, S Korea, the Arab World, India, Malasia.......all receive benefit from the security our carriers provide. The global security and protection of the US allows them to benefit economically while paying little for their own defense.

Time to start sharing the burden

The Defense budget has doubled from $316 Billion on 2000 to $693 billion in 2010

The Cold War is over, we were supposed to see an economic benefit

Only the brainwashed could imagine this.

"I doubt we can go another twenty years without it all unraveling."

When the creditors figure out they don't want monopoly money in return, this game is over.

That might be next month, it might be next year, it won't be in 20 years. Only the brain dead brainwashed could buy the ridiculous nonsense from Obama & Bernanke.

Read this: Screwed Again

I think it would be great to have a neutral panel look at proposed defense spending levels and determine what is necessary based on current and possible future direct threats to the United States. The goal should be to reduce current levels by 5% per year starting in 2012 and running for 5 years. (that wouldn't be a 25% cut at the end of the programme, but somewhere around 18% if my mind-math-fu is working). The proposed spending cuts would be revisited every 6 months to ensure that the cuts are still realistic compared to our defensive needs, and don't need to be shifted to another area of defense spending.

That would be a good first step. All of us here can blue-sky everything we want, but when it comes down to it, I can think of scenarios where we would need all the big defensive programmes that everyone so far has proposed cutting. I imagine the end result would be nickel and diming it down, not big sweeping axes to whole sectors or battle groups.

Last edited:
The Defense budget has doubled from $316 Billion on 2000 to $693 billion in 2010

Like it or not, and I don't, we're going to be responsible for regional security for a few more years in Iraq. That's got to eat up a lot of dollars. And then there's Afghanistan.

Thanks George.

How can we address the deficit and debt if 36-54% of the budget is off the table for cuts?

pieFY09.gif

source

You really mean to tell me there's no waste there?

That is "discretionary spending" not the whole budget.

Having the best weapon on earth -- boomer subs -- and vowing not to use our missiles but choosing to blow $$ trillions on carriers, bombers, etc is as stupid as it gets.

The propaganda has this entire forum brainwashed into ridiculous nonsense. That's why America is rapidly collapsing. You people keep electing the Democrat Republican Crime Family which is taking bribes and giving kickbacks with our Treasury.

You are going along with that instead of forming a legit 3rd party. In case I insulted all of you that's exactly what I intended to do. You are sinking my ship and its pissing me off.

Like it or not, and I don't, we're going to be responsible for regional security for a few more years in Iraq. That's got to eat up a lot of dollars. And then there's Afghanistan.

Thanks George.

Fuck that shit! We spent almost 3 trillion dollars in the last two years that we had to borrow from foreigners or from future earnings depending on how you approach it.

End the campaigns in the ME and close at least 60% of our 800 foreign bases and reduce military spending by 70% within 2 years. No ifs, ands or buts.

BTW , we bribed Israel with a grant of some 20 advanced jets worth $20 billion just get them to maintain a settlement construction freeze that they violate even while it is in place, and only for 90 days.

We pour more money down rat holes than 95% of the nations in the world spend, and we spend more on military and defense than the rest of the world combined once you figure in our foreign aid.

Time to live within our means.

Having the best weapon on earth -- boomer subs -- and vowing not to use our missiles but choosing to blow $$ trillions on carriers, bombers, etc is as stupid as it gets.

The propaganda has this entire forum brainwashed into ridiculous nonsense. That's why America is rapidly collapsing. You people keep electing the Democrat Republican Crime Family which is taking bribes and giving kickbacks with our Treasury.

You are going along with that instead of forming a legit 3rd party. In case I insulted all of you that's exactly what I intended to do. You are sinking my ship and its pissing me off.

What the hell is a boomer sub?

I think it would be great to have a neutral panel look at proposed defense spending levels and determine what is necessary based on current and possible future direct threats to the United States. The goal should be to reduce current levels by 5% per year starting in 2012 and running for 5 years. (that wouldn't be a 25% cut at the end of the programme, but somewhere around 18% if my mind-math-fu is working). The proposed spending cuts would be revisited every 6 months to ensure that the cuts are still realistic compared to our defensive needs, and don't need to be shifted to another area of defense spending.

That would be a good first step. All of us here can blue-sky everything we want, but when it comes down to it, I can think of scenarios where we would need all the big defensive programmes that everyone so far has proposed cutting. I imagine the end result would be nickel and diming it down, not big sweeping axes to whole sectors or battle groups.

the milt. budget 2010 I think tops at what 650 B incl. the "Overseas Contingency Operations"?....Gates has cut , saved and earmarked future cuts for the next 4 years of 250 billion.....NOT including the "overseas..fuck it, the WOT troops in iraq and afghan. winding down.

Thanks George.

Fuck that shit! We spent almost 3 trillion dollars in the last two years that we had to borrow from foreigners or from future earnings depending on how you approach it.

End the campaigns in the ME and close at least 60% of our 800 foreign bases and reduce military spending by 70% within 2 years. No ifs, ands or buts.

BTW , we bribed Israel with a grant of some 20 advanced jets worth $20 billion just get them to maintain a settlement construction freeze that they violate even while it is in place, and only for 90 days.

We pour more money down rat holes than 95% of the nations in the world spend, and we spend more on military and defense than the rest of the world combined once you figure in our foreign aid.

Yeah, your recipe is one for disaster. Both economically, defensively and politically. But at least you hit the trifecta!

the milt. budget 2010 I think tops at what 650 B incl. the "Overseas Contingency Operations"?....Gates has cut , saved and earmarked future cuts for the next 4 years of 250 billion.....NOT including the "overseas..fuck it, the WOT troops in iraq and afghan. winding down.

Good for him.

What the hell is a boomer sub?

ICBM carrying submarine. There are fast-attack subs, boomer subs, and I think a new class being developed for shallower water operations (spec-ops)

Thanks George.

Yeah, your recipe is one for disaster. Both economically, defensively and politically. But at least you hit the trifecta!

Bullshit.

Our current course is a recipe for complete economic collapse, or even another great depression, just ask anybody on wall street!

The status quo is the worst possible option. It is guaranteed to fail.

People commenting on defense and don't know what a -- boomer sub -- is, they need a dunce cap and sit in the corner.

Try google instead of making fools of yourselves. Watch the military channel. You will learn what boomer subs are.

They are by far the most devastating weapon on earth. I served on a sub.

No country would ever attack the USA if they knew we would use those subs. If I was the Commander in Chief no country would have any doubt we would use those subs. We'd never be attacked and would quit pissing any more money away on bullshit weapons that can't even win the war against the Taliban.

The Taliban can't cross the Atlantic Ocean. Every soldier being killed or maimed in Afghanistan or Iraq is being murdered by Bush & Obama.

No country on earth is capable of invading the US. We have not been invaded by a foreign nation in almost 200 years. The purpose of our massive military is to push our influence around the globe. Time to start making some of our economic rivals pick up the slack.
We keep the peace and they get the economic benefit

Europe, Japan, S Korea, Malasia and all the Arab oil states need to start paying their own way

I actually think that's already happening. We gotta get them recovering first, then we can start talking to them about paying up. "When you owe $100,000 to the bank and you can't pay, you have a problem. When you owe $10,000,000 to the bank and you can't pay, the bank has a problem."

Forum List

Back