Democracy In Egypt Is Bad For The United States

Noted.

In my opinion the Obama Administration handled the situation poorly. Obama should have acted like he has with Iran. My problem is with his double-standards here. Obama made the United States an even bigger target with his actions. The Muslim Street hates us even more because of his Administrations meddling in their affairs. I kept yelling at the television, "Why doesn't he just shut the fuck up. You're only making things worse!!!!"

He didn't show the kind of diplomacy the situation required. Not all of his people were on the same sheet of music. They appeared ill-prepared and amateurish. Because of that we'll pay a price with the people of Egypt. Many of them will resent our involvement. In 09' Obama was welcome in Cairo. Not today.

I just wish he would show the same concern for the people of Iran as he did for Egypt, but he didn't. Everyone deserves to live in peace, not just one country. Freedom is everyone's right, not something for this person but not for another. The simple fact that nobody cares about the people of Iran at this time is what condemns them. No pressure is being brought to bare on them so they have no reason to change. They even confessed that because the international community doesn't care they don't feel like giving their people a thing. Who cares that people are getting killed, thrown in prison, and tortured as we speak. It's not our problem.

The US has no influence or leverage in Iran though.
How would it look for you to be making statements or threats that were completely ignored and/or ridiculed and that everyone knew to be empty?
It would make you look even weaker and more innefectual in the Middle East than you already are.

Kind of like the threats President Ackmadinigadwhatever constantly throws at us???

Ever notice that it's a common practice in the Middle East to throw out threats and then negotiate behind the scenes? It's a face-saving tactic that is used often.

No, not like that at all.
If the USA, with their supposed overwhelming resources and moral authority, makes a demand to Iran and they show the finger, it makes the USA look weak and stupid and empty.
This then emboldens other states, further weakening the USA's position.

Surprise!!!!

An 8 member group will be writing the new Egyprtian constitution.

A member of the Muslim Brotherhood is in that group.
by most accounts the muslim brotherhood represents somewhere between 20-30% of egypts population. sounds like 12.5% is under-representation. you should be happy.
Reports out of Cairo are that it should take 10 days to write it.

WOW!!

Color me surprised!!!!

From my experience it takes months for a Democracy to decide the color of shit much less write a constitution. It will take a week to print copies of the constitution yet they think they can get it done in that little time?

got a lot of experience setting up democracies, do you? and since when does it take weeks to print anything? i could make 500 copies of our consititution today using my office copier. it takes literally no time to distribute documents online.

do they not have kinkos in egypt?

I don't think so.

And we're talking thousands of copies.

But that's beside the point.

I think it should take more effort then simply cut and paste.

Irag has been writing theirs for years and it still isn't done.

Mudwhistle is absolutely wrong, and so are the 13 people in America who agree with him. The admin handled about as well as could have been handled. End of Mubarek's story, and now we will see what the continuing part of the story is from here for Egypt.

The US has no influence or leverage in Iran though.
How would it look for you to be making statements or threats that were completely ignored and/or ridiculed and that everyone knew to be empty?
It would make you look even weaker and more innefectual in the Middle East than you already are.

Kind of like the threats President Ackmadinigadwhatever constantly throws at us???

Ever notice that it's a common practice in the Middle East to throw out threats and then negotiate behind the scenes? It's a face-saving tactic that is used often.

If the USA, with their supposed overwhelming resources and moral authority, makes a demand to Iran and they show the finger, it makes the USA look weak and stupid and empty.

Excuses, excuses. After all of the apoligizing now you're worried about appearing weak. Too late for that.

I wonder how weak we looked when we let the Prez of iran flip us the bird at the UN the last couple of years?

Excuses, excuses. After all of the apoligizing now you're worried about appearing weak. Too late for that.

I wonder how weak we looked when we let the Prez of iran flip us the bird at the UN the last couple of years?
I don't care about you appearing weak, I don't live in the US.
If you think it serves your country to lie on the floor, stamp your feet and hold your breath until you turn blue if you don't get your own way...well, we'll never agree.

What about Ahmedinajad spouting his shit at you at the UN?
So he hurt your feelings...on the other hand, if you guys make threats at Iran you had better be prepared to back them up.
The USA is the one with the position of authority and influence to protect.

Don't worry, idb, the U.S. is not weak. Only Mudwhistle worries about America appearing weak. And MW is not making foreign policy. We are in good shape.

Mudwhistle is absolutely wrong, and so are the 13 people in America who agree with him. The admin handled about as well as could have been handled. End of Mubarek's story, and now we will see what the continuing part of the story is from here for Egypt.

Obama made big mistakes here. The mixed messages he sent publicly was a very bad showing to the entire Middle East. Every nation there is scratching their heads wondering what happened to a 30 year history of cooperation.

I don't think so. The Egyptian Military will be running the show there for a long time. The U.S. basically owns them. The two worked very closely in removing Mubarak. They have very close ties. This wont be changing anytime soon. Democracy in Egypt will not hurt the U.S. in the end.

I don't think so. The Egyptian Military will be running the show there for a long time. The U.S. basically owns them. The two worked very closely in removing Mubarak. They have very close ties. This wont be changing anytime soon. Democracy in Egypt will not hurt the U.S. in the end.

The Army said they're turning over power to the civilians in about 6 months.

I think this has all been in the works for some time.

Don't worry, idb, the U.S. is not weak. Only Mudwhistle worries about America appearing weak. And MW is not making foreign policy. We are in good shape.

During the Iranian uprising by March everything seemed fine. By November they took over our embassy. Things move fast when they have no fear of retaliation. We even have the same guy that was in the White House during the Carter years. United States Security Adviser Zbigniew Brzezinski was Carter's aide and is now an adviser to Obama.

Boy, I feel so much safer now.

Brzezinski helped broker the Camp David accord, turned over control to the Panama Canal, and SALT II. Brzezinski "repeatedly assured Pahlavi (the Shaw) that the U.S. backed him fully."

Yup, they're shaking in their sandals Jake.

Last edited:
Look at what the peaceful demonstrators in Egypt have done......and the Mainstream Media is covering up:
CBS Reporter Sexually Assaulted in Egypt

0215-lara-logan-bn-cbs-01-credit-1.jpg

According to CBS, Logan and her crew were covering a story for "60 Minutes" when they were surrounded by a mob of more than 200 people and she was separated from her security team.

CBS says 39-year-old Logan "suffered a brutal and sustained sexual assault and beating before being saved by a group of women and an estimated 20 Egyptian soldiers."

CBS continues, "[Logan] reconnected with the CBS team, returned to her hotel and returned to the United States on the first flight the next morning. She is currently in the hospital recovering."

Logan and her team had been detained by Egyptian police 8 days before the sexual assault -- and Logan had reported, "We were accused of being more than journalists, very frightening suggestions were being made. Suggestions that really could be very dangerous for us."

During the assault the attackers were screaming "Jeeeeeeew, Jeeeeeew, Jeeeeeeew, Jeeeeeeew, Jew!!!!!"

This should be a serious problem and result in dire consequences, but Obama hasn't said a thing about it. He's focusing on telling tales about the budget.

I remember the good ole days of Reagan. If you fucked with us he bombed your house.

Arabs are deranged kooks. We should leave the Middle East entirely. We have nothing in common with them other than the fact we want to buy their oil and they want to sell it. They really are very irrational and hateful for the most part. Time for us to get the Hell out of there.

Yup, the Iranians and Egyptians are all the same type of Muslims, MudW? You know the Iranians are Persians? So, by your logic, the Christian revolutions of America, France, and Russia all should have turned out the same way. And don't even think of asking bigreb for advice. He can't even find his way out of the basement.

Look at what the peaceful demonstrators in Egypt have done......and the Mainstream Media is covering up:
CBS Reporter Sexually Assaulted in Egypt

0215-lara-logan-bn-cbs-01-credit-1.jpg

According to CBS, Logan and her crew were covering a story for "60 Minutes" when they were surrounded by a mob of more than 200 people and she was separated from her security team.

CBS says 39-year-old Logan "suffered a brutal and sustained sexual assault and beating before being saved by a group of women and an estimated 20 Egyptian soldiers."

CBS continues, "[Logan] reconnected with the CBS team, returned to her hotel and returned to the United States on the first flight the next morning. She is currently in the hospital recovering."

Logan and her team had been detained by Egyptian police 8 days before the sexual assault -- and Logan had reported, "We were accused of being more than journalists, very frightening suggestions were being made. Suggestions that really could be very dangerous for us."

During the assault the attackers were screaming "Jeeeeeeew, Jeeeeeew, Jeeeeeeew, Jeeeeeeew, Jew!!!!!"

This should be a serious problem and result in dire consequences, but Obama hasn't said a thing about it. He's focusing on telling tales about the budget.

I remember the good ole days of Reagan. If you fucked with us he bombed your house.

Crap on Reagan: he scampered out of Lebanon.

Sounds like some Christian evangelicals I know that have gone bad who assaulted the journalist. Noticed who saved her.

One incident does not a trend make.

Yup, the Iranians and Egyptians are all the same type of Muslims, MudW? You know the Iranians are Persians? So, by your logic, the Christian revolutions of America, France, and Russia all should have turned out the same way. And don't even think of asking bigreb for advice. He can't even find his way out of the basement.

I studied Persian-farsi and Arabic.

I know the fucken difference.

Btw, Persians are the first Arian race.

1. egypt along with the rest of the middle east has the right as sovereign nations to govern themselves without any interference from the united states regardless of 'how dangerous' it is to our country.

2. why should we care about the deaths of israelis? they are NOT U.S. citizens, have nothing to do with our country AND bring all their turmoil upon themselves.

it's time the US adopts a non-interventionist and prepares to rebuild instead of worrying about israel and meddling in other countries' affairs.

Actually, there is another way that rational people can see it. Obama did not bring Mubarak down. Mubarak was responsible for his own demise. Egypt is our ally, not Mubarak. As long as Egypt doesn't go the way Iran did in '79, and the people get what they want - democracy - then their relationship with the US and Israel will be fine. The concern, of course, is that the Muslim Brotherhood will initiate a power grab.

And, Obama should STFU about Iran. We cannot be seen to interfere there - but, a smart POTUS would be throwing support QUIETLY behind the protesters. We would do well to remember that we do not know everything that our Government is doing in the region... and that is a good thing.

Stop being so damned simplistic and narrow minded. It ain't all about Obama.

I think I'm in love :tongue:

She's just giving me a hard time. Doing a driveby on me.

Besides, unless you're a Marine or at least an officer forget it.

Geez . . . you're a knuckledragger or worse. :lol: We had to ship your *sses all over the place and then patch you up (corpsmen) when ya went running into some cross-fire. Her statndards can't be that low.

1. egypt along with the rest of the middle east has the right as sovereign nations to govern themselves without any interference from the united states regardless of 'how dangerous' it is to our country.

2. why should we care about the deaths of israelis? they are NOT U.S. citizens, have nothing to do with our country AND bring all their turmoil upon themselves.

it's time the US adopts a non-interventionist and prepares to rebuild instead of worrying about israel and meddling in other countries' affairs.

We should care about the deaths of anyone on this planet. You can't seriously expect any nation to have its interests stop at a border.

The U.S. owns Egypt's Military and Egypt's Military owns Egypt. Do the Math. This new "Democracy" in Egypt isn't going to hurt the U.S. It's not Checkers,it's Chess. Wake up people. SHEESH!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back