Democrats move to take Trump off the ballot

States move to require all presidential candidates to release taxes

All we hear from democrats are accusations that the GOP are tying to suppress the vote in a myriad of ways

Funny, I never heard one Republican suggest that the democrat nominee should be taken off the ballot.

That dear friends is called fascism. .

Every state has a list of requirements to be on the ballot, this is nothing new.

This is why when you go to vote there are not 1000 choices for president.

It is why Evan McMullin was only on the ballot in 8 states last election.

All we hear from democrats are accusations that the GOP are tying to suppress the vote in a myriad of ways

Funny, I never heard one Republican suggest that the democrat nominee should be taken off the ballot.

The reason CA is so screwed up is because the Democrat Party has no competition.
They've practically erased Republicans from the state.

The reason CA is so screwed up is because the Democrat Party has no competition.
They've practically erased Republicans from the state.

Almost 5 million people voted Repub in Cali last election...does not really seem to be erased.

I question whether such a move would be constitutional. Yes, the states have the power to regulate elections, which includes ballot access. However, this does not accomplish any legitimate interest in regulating ballot access. This only establishes a political test, with the effect of secretly creating an additional qualification for an elected federal office. And the states have no power to institute new or additional qualifications for elected federal offices.

Last edited:

Every state has a list of requirements to be on the ballot, this is nothing new.

All of those rules have to do with making sure the ballot isn't 1000 pages long, none of them have requirements about things like taxes or release of information.

Laws like this apply additional requirements for the office above and beyond what is required under the Constitution, and are unrelated to the balloting process.

They will probably be found to be unconstitutional.

I question whether such a move would be constitutional. Yes, the states have the power to regulate elections, which includes ballot access. However, this does not accomplish any legitimate interest in regulating ballot access. This only establishes a political test, with the effect of secretly creating an additional qualification for an elected federal office. And the states have no power to institute new or additional qualifications for elected federal offices.

It will have to be decided by the SCOTUS. I am not sure showing your taxes is a qualification though, is it inherently different than making someone gather thousands and thousands of signatures?

All of those rules have to do with making sure the ballot isn't 1000 pages long, none of them have requirements about things like taxes or release of information.

Laws like this apply additional requirements for the office above and beyond what is required under the Constitution, and are unrelated to the balloting process.

They will probably be found to be unconstitutional.

It might well be, would not surprise me it if were.

It will have to be decided by the SCOTUS. I am not sure showing your taxes is a qualification though, is it inherently different than making someone gather thousands and thousands of signatures?

The purpose is inherently different. The purpose of signatures is to make sure the ballots are reasonable in size, and easy to read for the voter. (the cost savings to the State are incidental). Flooding a ballot with 500 names is a burden on the voter, as well as the State.

Requiring tax returns is nothing more than an additional political requirement, above and beyond the requirement for the office mandated by the Constitution.

hey - at least they're following the process this time to state it as a requirement.

i don't give two shits if trump releases his taxes or not. anything he's done wrong the IRS will find. to think the IRS is in cahoots with trump is a needed insanity by the left to carry this stupid dream forward. i honestly feel trump is fighting it just to keep them busy on stupid shit anyway. counter-trolling. it drives the left nuts to be told "no" (much like any 2 year old) and that's what trump is doing. the more you scream, the more he enjoys himself.

now if they change the law and get it required then great. but they have a long haul ahead of them in getting that done. but i suppose all it takes is 1 state anyway.

If Arkansas cant install term limits on fed elections, what makes people think these states can limit fed elections over tax returns?

I think it's entirely different than signature requirements. States have a legitimate interest in limiting ballot access to candidates who meet a minimum threshold of public interest. After all, it would be completely impractical to list 100 obscure candidates for one office, scarcely known to anyone. The signature requirements are basic regulation of an orderly, efficient election.

Tax return requirements do not do anything to help the states conduct an orderly and efficient election process.

If Arkansas cant install term limits on fed elections, what makes people think these states can limit fed elections over tax returns?

Apples to oranges
How so? Keeping people off ballots for too many terms vs tax returns? Maybe we should look at the ruling?
John paul Stevens said, and i quote, "if the qualifications set forth in the text of the constitution are to be changed, that text must be amended"
The constitution demands uniformity in the national legislature. Thats why it names qualifications.

Apples to oranges
How so? Keeping people off ballots for too many terms vs tax returns? Maybe we should look at the ruling?
John paul Stevens said, and i quote, "if the qualifications set forth in the text of the constitution are to be changed, that text must be amended"
The constitution demands uniformity in the national legislature. Thats why it names qualifications.

Then why are they allowed to keep people off the ballot for not enough signatures? Where is that in the Constitution?

Forum List

Back