🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

DeVos Confirmed

Thank you Mike Pence and good to see they Republicans who need to be defeated, without losing a confirmation!

Another stinging loss for the democrats.

Tillerson.....confirmed
Devoss..confirmed

Maybe one day democrats will get their heads out of their asses, but keep protesting and blocking everything........er Trying to block everything. Lolololololololol
Hey.....Grizzly bears have been put on notice!

Vice President Pence just did more to make America great again than that boob Biden did in eight years

That is about the most stupid statement I have ever seen posted on a messageboard.

DeVos is about the most unqualified candidate for any cabinet position in the history of the Republic. Never been in public schools. Kids never been in public schools. Never had a student loan. Kids never had a student loan. Never had a job as an educator, if she ever had a job at all.

The only thing Pence did is to destroy any semblance of bipartisanship that might have remained in Congress. Tell me how can every democrat plus two republicans believe DeVos is unqualified and all the rest of the Republicans, and the bought and bossed Pence, believe otherwise?

Nope, congratulations. Pence just proved to the world that the US government is for sale to the highest bidder.

The woman was treated unfairly by the Democrats. It was another sore loser hissy-fit. Democrats better be careful, they're getting close to crossing a line. There's legitimate opposition, then there's sore loser hate. And most Americans don't like the sore loser hate stuff.

Yeah, those Dems expected her to know about education and thats not fair

She didn't deserve that treatment. I hope it comes back to bite the Democrats.

It will, she did not deserve the job, she bought it.

Democrats are setting all new lows in decency. The woman was treated unfairly. The Democrats will likely regret setting these new lows at some point. It'll come back around on em.

Please explain to us all how your system is working. Total failure in soooo many school districts. What changes do you think would help? Don't go to MORE MONEY, that's the reason given by Democrats for ALL THEIR FAILED SYSTEMS. Our worst-performing schools are among the highest cost per student.
Easy first step to fixing public schools.....let them pick and choose their students they accept and keep like private and charter schools do.

When somethi
Please explain to us all how your system is working. Total failure in soooo many school districts. What changes do you think would help? Don't go to MORE MONEY, that's the reason given by Democrats for ALL THEIR FAILED SYSTEMS. Our worst-performing schools are among the highest cost per student.
Easy first step to fixing public schools.....let them pick and choose their students they accept and keep like private and charter schools do.

So that's a reason to deny parents the choice of a different school, a charter school or a voucher to go to a private school of their choice? WHY?
Sure...let parents have a choice....let public schools have a choice too. But why should the government pay for a private citizen's school choice? I thought the RW was against mooching off the government teat.
There is something elitist about giving a parent who is already footing private school tuition his/her taxes back so they can keep more money. But without the gummit tit letting a poor person have some share of what the state pays per pupil, they would not have the means to pay a charter school.
Nope....people pay thru property taxes INCLUDING those without school age children.....giving their money back too?
Well the state gives every parent some % of what the state pays to educate each child. Some of that is property tax, and some is general revenue, and some of it may be federal monies, depending on the congress. And no, taxpayers with no kids or who have adult kids, don't get any "rebate."

But we both know the basis for taxing for education goes back to at least the 1800s, and the notion is than an educated workforce/citizenry benefits us all.

I still think it's a bit elitist to give parents who are paying for private tuition a little help. My kid wen to private school, and I'd have been grateful for the help. But imo parents locked into failing public schools have to be given an alternative. It seems un-American to me not to. One of the good things about the Mississippi State Legislature. they're committed to doing it.

The woman was treated unfairly by the Democrats. It was another sore loser hissy-fit. Democrats better be careful, they're getting close to crossing a line. There's legitimate opposition, then there's sore loser hate. And most Americans don't like the sore loser hate stuff.

Democrats are setting all new lows in decency. The woman was treated unfairly. The Democrats will likely regret setting these new lows at some point. It'll come back around on em.
McConnell will set new lows of not confirming fed judges. He'll break his own record, that'll show the bastards

Vice President Pence just did more to make America great again than that boob Biden did in eight years

That is about the most stupid statement I have ever seen posted on a messageboard.

DeVos is about the most unqualified candidate for any cabinet position in the history of the Republic. Never been in public schools. Kids never been in public schools. Never had a student loan. Kids never had a student loan. Never had a job as an educator, if she ever had a job at all.

The only thing Pence did is to destroy any semblance of bipartisanship that might have remained in Congress. Tell me how can every democrat plus two republicans believe DeVos is unqualified and all the rest of the Republicans, and the bought and bossed Pence, believe otherwise?

Nope, congratulations. Pence just proved to the world that the US government is for sale to the highest bidder.
Yours tops it, quite easily...just sayn.

Yeah because people who arent qualified should be treated like Scholars or you'll cry. Who cares if its about educating our kids...Whats more important is to be nice to people! While they destroy your childs future. Have some manners

Lets put it into perspective shall we?

All the Secretarys of Education:

Shirley Ann Mount Hufsteder - 1979 - 1981 - was not a teacher and did not have a degree in education.

Terrel Howard Bell - 1981 - 1985 was a teacher.

William Bennett - l985-88 - was not a teacher and did not have a degree in education.

Laura Cavasas l988-90 was a teacher.

Lamar Alexander l990-1993 was not a teacher and did not have an education degree..

Richard Riley 1993-2001 was not a teacher and did not have an education degree.

Rod Paige 2001-2005 - was a teacher.

Margaret Spellings 2005-2009 was not a teacher and did not have an education degree.

Arne Duncan 2009-2015 was not a teacher and did not have an education degree.

John King Jr. 2016-2017 - was a teacher.

What all these people did have in common is hands on experience in efforts to improve education.

As has Betsy Devos devoted most of her adult life in efforts to improve education.​

Counting Devos there have been 11 Secretary of Education who have served. Only four of those were teachers and/or had a degree in education.

There were no cries of disqualified for any of these other education secretaries despite a steady slide of our ranking in education from #1 in the developed world to way down there in reading, math, and science.

So Betsy Devos will take a different approach than all the others. We couldn't possibly do any worse so I say give her a chance.

Last edited:

McConnell will set new lows of not confirming fed judges. He'll break his own record, that'll show the bastards

All this sore loser Democrat hate will come back to bite em at some point. Folks won't forget the unprecedented lows in decency.

I agree that public school system needs some changes. But hiring someone who doesn't have clue teaching or education isn't the solution.

DeVos doesn't even want to make public schools better. She wants to get rid of them altogether. She's a staunch advocate of charter schools but many of them are worse than public schools.

Oh really?

A new study of charter schools shows that they are making a meaningful difference for underserved kids in many of our nation’s cities, but it also highlights new challenges for the movement.

Researchers at Stanford University’s Center for Research on Education Outcomes, or CREDO, released the new report yesterday, which looks at the impact of charter schools in 41 urban areas. The researchers used a rigorous research design that compares learning gains for students enrolled in charter schools to those of similar students in traditional public schools in their districts.

On net, the findings are good news for charter schools: Across the 41 cities studied, students in charter schools learned significantly more than their peers attending traditional public schools – 40 more days worth of learning in math, and 28 more in reading.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/knowl...charter-schools-making-a-difference-in-cities

Somebody is scared and protecting their job.

I do not teach in a public school. I haven't taught in one for about 4 years now. So I'm not afraid of losing my job.

I admit public schools need changes, but getting rid of them completely doesn't solve the problem. Charter schools can be more selective on what kind of students they have. Public schools cannot. So some charter schools may perform better than the average public school. Once you start allowing more kids into charter schools, you will wind up with the same problem as public schools.

I agree that charter schools help underprivileged children who excel but cannot afford private school. However, it doesn't solve the core issue with the average public school student.

The issue is that Americans as a whole have to start viewing education more seriously and learning needs to be put back on the student. In places in Japan and India, students are held accountable for their grades. There's no blaming of teachers and their parents do not accept anything below a A. I can't tell you how many times I've had students who didn't do homework, absent at least once a week got an F and then their parents come to me whining about their child failing.

Secondly, teachers should have more qualifications and it should be treated like the medical field . In Finland teaches need to have a masters degree to teach. This ensures that the teacher is highly qualified and is able to give his or her students a quality education.

Shunning public schools and stuffing kids in charter schools isn't the answer.
So, who said they want to get rid of public schools?

Handing out vouchers to charter and private schools is trying to phase public schools out. Her goal should be to revamp the public education system. Most other 1st world nations have top notch public school systems.
Thank you Mike Pence and good to see they Republicans who need to be defeated, without losing a confirmation!

Another stinging loss for the democrats.

Tillerson.....confirmed
Devoss..confirmed

Maybe one day democrats will get their heads out of their asses, but keep protesting and blocking everything........er Trying to block everything. Lolololololololol

This isn't a loss for Democrats. It's a loss for every student in America. This woman is not only unqualified, she's uneducated, and can't form a proper sentence. Much like her boss.

If you think this appointment is a good choice, you're more interested in sticking it to Democrats than with fixing education problems.
If liberals are against it, than it's good for our country!
What wonderful RW logic. Private RW school?
Yes teach them arithmetic, english, history, science, and a trade.
Not the social issues like being gay is okay. That if your a boy that wants to be a girl, use The girls locker room. Then maybe college students wouldn't riot if they don't get their way, or need a safe place. Educate our children, don't indoctrinate.

These things are already taught in schools. You think teachers spend the whole day teaching social studies or something ?

Any dumbass hypocrite Libtards who shut down school vouchers, school choice, call Republicans elitist and bloated up union teacher's salaries should be required to send their kids to the shitty schools they created.

Teacher's salaries are bloated? Starting salary for teachers is around $32,000. That's a bloated salary ? Not every public school is bad. The higher the tax bracket is, the better the public schools tend to be. Perhaps the goal should be to make all public schools equally good. Handing out vouchers to a charter or private school that may or may not be better is risky.

As a teacher I am extremely disappointed. The fact that she is a republican or basically brought her position doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that she has 0% experience in education and never taught a day in her life.

In the end our children will suffer.

The children are suffering now, public education is a nightmare

I agree that public school system needs some changes. But hiring someone who doesn't have clue teaching or education isn't the solution.

DeVos doesn't even want to make public schools better. She wants to get rid of them altogether. She's a staunch advocate of charter schools but many of them are worse than public schools.
She's not an insider who will preserve the status quo of bad public schools that fail to teach children. THAT'S why you oppose her.

Shame on you!!!

I oppose her because charter and private schools doesn't solve the core issue.
It is the teacher's that need revamping.

As a teacher I am extremely disappointed. The fact that she is a republican or basically brought her position doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that she has 0% experience in education and never taught a day in her life.

Your grip on the inner city vote just got loosened.

Oh really?

A new study of charter schools shows that they are making a meaningful difference for underserved kids in many of our nation’s cities, but it also highlights new challenges for the movement.

Researchers at Stanford University’s Center for Research on Education Outcomes, or CREDO, released the new report yesterday, which looks at the impact of charter schools in 41 urban areas. The researchers used a rigorous research design that compares learning gains for students enrolled in charter schools to those of similar students in traditional public schools in their districts.

On net, the findings are good news for charter schools: Across the 41 cities studied, students in charter schools learned significantly more than their peers attending traditional public schools – 40 more days worth of learning in math, and 28 more in reading.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/knowl...charter-schools-making-a-difference-in-cities

I do not teach in a public school. I haven't taught in one for about 4 years now. So I'm not afraid of losing my job.

I admit public schools need changes, but getting rid of them completely doesn't solve the problem. Charter schools can be more selective on what kind of students they have. Public schools cannot. So some charter schools may perform better than the average public school. Once you start allowing more kids into charter schools, you will wind up with the same problem as public schools.

I agree that charter schools help underprivileged children who excel but cannot afford private school. However, it doesn't solve the core issue with the average public school student.

The issue is that Americans as a whole have to start viewing education more seriously and learning needs to be put back on the student. In places in Japan and India, students are held accountable for their grades. There's no blaming of teachers and their parents do not accept anything below a A. I can't tell you how many times I've had students who didn't do homework, absent at least once a week got an F and then their parents come to me whining about their child failing.

Secondly, teachers should have more qualifications and it should be treated like the medical field . In Finland teaches need to have a masters degree to teach. This ensures that the teacher is highly qualified and is able to give his or her students a quality education.

Handing out vouchers to charter and private schools is trying to phase public schools out. Her goal should be to revamp the public education system. Most other 1st world nations have top notch public school systems.
This isn't a loss for Democrats. It's a loss for every student in America. This woman is not only unqualified, she's uneducated, and can't form a proper sentence. Much like her boss.

If you think this appointment is a good choice, you're more interested in sticking it to Democrats than with fixing education problems.
Not the social issues like being gay is okay. That if your a boy that wants to be a girl, use The girls locker room. Then maybe college students wouldn't riot if they don't get their way, or need a safe place. Educate our children, don't indoctrinate.

These things are already taught in schools. You think teachers spend the whole day teaching social studies or something ?

Any dumbass hypocrite Libtards who shut down school vouchers, school choice, call Republicans elitist and bloated up union teacher's salaries should be required to send their kids to the shitty schools they created.

Teacher's salaries are bloated? Starting salary for teachers is around $32,000. That's a bloated salary ? Not every public school is bad. The higher the tax bracket is, the better the public schools tend to be. Perhaps the goal should be to make all public schools equally good. Handing out vouchers to a charter or private school that may or may not be better is risky.

She's not an insider who will preserve the status quo of bad public schools that fail to teach children. THAT'S why you oppose her.

Shame on you!!!

It is the teacher's that need revamping.

And I agree. I said in one of my post that teachers need to be trained like doctors. In Finland teachers are required to have post graduate degrees in Education.

Oh really?

Shame on you!!!

There are graduating kids that cannot read. No, the public education is a failure.

Read about Detroit, largest charter schools system, well the whole state is due to her. She destroys public schools. We have many For Profit schools. For profit.

How many days in his life did Arne Duncan teach?

All this sore loser Democrat hate will come back to bite em at some point. Folks won't forget the unprecedented lows in decency.
Dude. McConnell set the record, and I vote gop when the gop runs a republican.

Why do teachers feel it's there place to teach their political ideas on their students.
If your hired to teach math, then teach math, same for other classes.
Let parents teach life to their own kids, not teachers

Republicans want to end public education......it.

Lie
DeVos quote....lord help us

“I have decided, however, to stop taking offense at the suggestion that we are buying influence,” DeVos told the New Yorker in November. “Now I simply concede the point. They are right... We expect a return on our investment.”

Why do teachers feel it's there [sic] place to teach their political ideas on [sic] their students.
If your [sic] hired to teach math, then teach math, same for other classes.[sic]
Let parents teach life to their own kids, not teachers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most teachers don't do that.

Betsy DeVos has been confirmed as education secretary with VP Mike Pence casting the tie breaking vote. She was the one the Democrats really wanted to defeat the most now that they failed I wonder if this will stop the dragging their feet on cabinet nominees?

The Dems have no power and they know it.

They should think more about being considered by their constituents for the 2018 elections than obstructing everything Trump does.

America is watching them in action.

Stopping Trump is a national security issue.

Nah. Its just the actions of a bunch of sore losers who better get themselves on the ball if they want to hang onto their cushy Congressional seats come 2018.

This "we won" bullshit from you Trumpanzees is getting old.

Guess what? WE ALL lose.

Guess what? Your butt-hurt whining is really getting old.

Forum List

Back