🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Did The Great Flood Really Happen?

If god wants us to choose good, then why did he make evil as a choice? Seems rather dumb.
Actually God advised against gaining the knowledge of good and evil. Humans wanted to know both, and in my opinion, because most of us are confident that we will choose the good over the evil. We are learning it is not quite that easy, not every time. Choosing good over evil can often be a struggle. That can be compared to lifting weights or training for a marathon. While often difficult, the results are often worthwhile.
Lifting weights makes you freakish. Long distance running can lead to heart attacks, among other injuries... Showing you how good can be subjective.

So why did god make evil if he doesn't want anyone to choose it?

He didn't make evil, the fallen angels did. God gave man free will, so he could choose, as indicated by the premises of the Adam and Eve allegory.

And, we're still waiting for that empirical chain of evidence that proves evolution isn't just a cult fantasy invented by pseudo-intellectual halfwits with high self-esteem.
So god didn't make everything in the universe. But he did make the fallen angels, and let them fall. Or does god not having any control over his creation?

So if not by evolution, you think god just poofed humans to earth like a magician?

No evidence he created the angels or the heavenly choir or the cherubs, etc.

As for you last dumb question, there is no evidence humans didn't just 'poof' into existence; if there was then you could have produced it.

[MEN frequently think that the evils in the world are more numerous than the good things, that just isn't the case. He who thinks that he can have flesh and bones without being subject to any external influence, or any of the accidents of matter, unconsciously wishes to reconcile two opposites, viz., to be at the same time subject and not subject to change. If man were never subject to change there could be no generation: there would be one single being, but no individuals forming a species. It would be in vain to expect to see living beings formed of the blood of menstruous women and the semen virile, who will not die, will never feel pain, or will move perpetually, or will shine like the sun. Whatever is formed of any matter receives the most perfect form possible in that species of matter: in each individual case the defects are in accordance with the defects of that individual matter. The best and most perfect being that can be formed of the blood and the semen is the species of man, for as far as man's nature is known, he is living, reasonable, and mortal. It is therefore impossible that man should be free from this species of evil. You will, nevertheless, find that the evils of the above kind which befall man are very few and rare.

It must be admitted as a fact that it cannot be said of God that He directly creates evil, or He has the direct intention to produce evil; this is impossible His works are all perfectly good. He only produces existence, and all existence is good. God is perfect goodness, and that all that comes from Him is absolutely good. Consequently the true work of God is all good, since it is existence. ALL the great evils which men cause to each other because of certain intentions, desires, opinions, or religious principles, are likewise due to non-existence, because they originate in ignorance, which is absence of wisdom. The numerous evils to which individual persons are exposed are due to the defects existing in the persons themselves. We suffer from the evils which we, by our own free will, inflict on ourselves and ascribe them to God, who is far from being connected with them. Man himself is the author of this class of evils. The error of the ignorant goes so far as to say that God's power is insufficient, because He has given to this Universe the properties which they imagine cause these great evils.] Maimonides, The Guide for the Perplexed
FARTSMOKE ALERT!!!!
The beauty of existence, Taz, is it that it's up to you to decide what to make of it.

And at any time you can change your course for the better or the worse.

That's a major deflection.
No, this was answered over and over, and once by me. Go read the thread. We can rule out the flood myth. And respond to those points or don't. Those are your choices.
So you don't know. OK. Which means you can't falsify it.

#winning
Don't know...what? You are incoherent.

Yes, we.know the great flood myth is fiction.
This started with you engaging me. I wasn't even talking to you. This is yet again another example of your dishonesty.
Strictly speaking fiction isn't true so they have taken me to task on that, but IMO great storytelling does convey truth.
An allegorical account of a flooding event that happened isn't exactly fiction.
It is fiction, because it didn't happen.
How do you know? Was there nothing on the news about it 6,000 years ago?
Already covered in the thread.
Considering the thread title, any reasonable person would assume you were talking about the bible flood myth. So now your courageous stance is that a flood happened one time. That's deep, man.

And you're STILL wrong. Yes, what you describe is still fiction.

No, this was answered over and over, and once by me. Go read the thread. We can rule out the flood myth. And respond to those points or don't. Those are your choices.

#winning

This started with you engaging me. I wasn't even talking to you. This is yet again another example of your dishonesty.
Strictly speaking fiction isn't true so they have taken me to task on that, but IMO great storytelling does convey truth.
Considering the thread title, any reasonable person would assume you were talking about the bible flood myth. So now your courageous stance is that a flood happened one time. That's deep, man.
You seem like such a pleasant and happy person. :)

#winning

And you seem frustrated by the task of having to fit your iron aged handbook onto a modern world that no longer has any use for it.

2. Everything he created is good
Really? How do you define good? Are viruses good? Is Satan good?
There is only good, the absence of good and everything in between. It's like heat or light.
So Hitler was good, just not as good as some others?
He probably had his moments. Or do you believe people are all bad or all good? Are you all good? I'm not. I'm not all bad either.
I sense a contradiction here. If everything God created is good, why aren't you all good?
Because I have to choose to do good.
Semantics. Not that I'm anti-semantic but what are you if you don't choose to do good?

There is only good, the absence of good and everything in between. It's like heat or light.
He probably had his moments. Or do you believe people are all bad or all good? Are you all good? I'm not. I'm not all bad either.
I sense a contradiction here. If everything God created is good, why aren't you all good?
dingbat will argue that god makes deformed and retarded kids for good. Watch...
If viruses are good then the suffering they create must be good too.

According to Genesis, we also desired the knowledge of good and evil. Do you feel more people choose good over evil, or in your experience is the reverse truer?
I'm naive enough to believe most people choose good. Unfortunately, your 'good' may be my 'evil'. Sorry, don't believe in moral absolutes.

#winning

And you seem frustrated by the task of having to fit your iron aged handbook onto a modern world that no longer has any use for it.
I'm cool with you seeing it that way. :)

Because I have to choose to do good.
Semantics. Not that I'm anti-semantic but what are you if you don't choose to do good?
Human?

Only if good comes from it. :)

I'm naive enough to believe most people choose good. Unfortunately, your 'good' may be my 'evil'. Sorry, don't believe in moral absolutes.
That is why I often use "ideal" instead of "good". What is the ideal often gets us past the, "What is good for you may be evil for me."

What is the good that would come from my death? I mean of course, good for me not my heirs

What is the good that would come from my death? I mean of course, good for me not my heirs
Who knows? Only time will tell.

Dodge.

According to Genesis, we also desired the knowledge of good and evil. Do you feel more people choose good over evil, or in your experience is the reverse truer?
Morals are effectively standards. For any given thing there exists a standard which is the highest possible standard. This standard exists independent of anything else. It is in effect a universal standard. It exists for a logical reason. When we deviate from this standard and normalize our deviance from the standard, eventually the logical reason the standard exists will be discovered. The reason this happens is because error cannot stand. Eventually error will fail and the truth will be discovered.

Did the Great Flood really happen? - Living Faith - Home & Family - News - Catholic Online

Many Christians today argue the flood story is only a myth. It is a cautionary tale, not intended for literal interpretation. What's important, they say, is that we accept the lessons in the story rather than the story itself. There is merit to this approach. The story has no value if we ignore the lessons it teaches.
Christians believe the Bible. There aren't many Christians who don't believe there was a great flood. There are many people who claim to be Christians, but aren't.

Dodge.
I'm cool with you believing that.

I'm certainly not going to argue with you about it. :)

Did the Great Flood really happen? - Living Faith - Home & Family - News - Catholic Online

Many Christians today argue the flood story is only a myth. It is a cautionary tale, not intended for literal interpretation. What's important, they say, is that we accept the lessons in the story rather than the story itself. There is merit to this approach. The story has no value if we ignore the lessons it teaches.
Christians believe the Bible. There aren't many Christians who don't believe there was a great flood. There are many people who claim to be Christians, but aren't.

The Bible flood myth was borrowed from Sumer. These stories traveled long the trade routes

Educated Christians don't have difficulty with morality tales.

Forum List

Back