🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Did The Great Flood Really Happen?

Did the Great Flood really happen? - Living Faith - Home & Family - News - Catholic Online

Many Christians today argue the flood story is only a myth. It is a cautionary tale, not intended for literal interpretation. What's important, they say, is that we accept the lessons in the story rather than the story itself. There is merit to this approach. The story has no value if we ignore the lessons it teaches.
Christians believe the Bible. There aren't many Christians who don't believe there was a great flood. There are many people who claim to be Christians, but aren't.

The Bible flood myth was borrowed from Sumer. These stories traveled long the trade routes

Educated Christians don't have difficulty with morality tales.
Or... they all shared a common culture/heritage/history through their descendants who passed down these accounts orally from generation to generation.

I believe that's why the account of the tower of babel was memorialized. To provide the link to the common heritage/culture/history that all people share.

I sense a contradiction here. If everything God created is good, why aren't you all good?
According to Genesis, we also desired the knowledge of good and evil. Do you feel more people choose good over evil, or in your experience is the reverse truer?
I'm naive enough to believe most people choose good. Unfortunately, your 'good' may be my 'evil'. Sorry, don't believe in moral absolutes.
Morals are effectively standards. For any given thing there exists a standard which is the highest possible standard. This standard exists independent of anything else. It is in effect a universal standard. It exists for a logical reason. When we deviate from this standard and normalize our deviance from the standard, eventually the logical reason the standard exists will be discovered. The reason this happens is because error cannot stand. Eventually error will fail and the truth will be discovered.
Don't buy the 'For any given thing there exists a standard which is the highest possible standard' line. What is the highest possible standard of fairness when it comes to taxation?

I sense a contradiction here. If everything God created is good, why aren't you all good?
According to Genesis, we also desired the knowledge of good and evil. Do you feel more people choose good over evil, or in your experience is the reverse truer?
I'm naive enough to believe most people choose good. Unfortunately, your 'good' may be my 'evil'. Sorry, don't believe in moral absolutes.
Morals are effectively standards. For any given thing there exists a standard which is the highest possible standard. This standard exists independent of anything else. It is in effect a universal standard. It exists for a logical reason. When we deviate from this standard and normalize our deviance from the standard, eventually the logical reason the standard exists will be discovered. The reason this happens is because error cannot stand. Eventually error will fail and the truth will be discovered.
Don't buy the 'For any given thing there exists a standard which is the highest possible standard' line. What is the highest possible standard of fairness when it comes to taxation?
I don't need you to buy it. My obligation was satisfied when I presented it. :)

Last edited:
So it's because they shared a common heritage/culture/history that similarities exist.

I believe that's why the account of the tower of babel was memorialized. To provide the link to a common heritage/culture/history that all people share.

The Tower of Babel is one of the more ridiculous stories.. Do you think the earth was repopulated within 200 years of the flood?

I believe that's why the account of the tower of babel was memorialized. To provide the link to a common heritage/culture/history that all people share.

The Tower of Babel is one of the more ridiculous stories.. Do you think the earth was repopulated within 200 years of the flood?
I think the flood and tower accounts captured historical events and that the narrative around those event was allegorical. Which is to say embellished to make them more memorable.

So... do I think the earth was repopulated within 200 years of the flood? I don't believe it had to be repopulated because the "everyone died except 8 people" narrative was exaggerated.

Same thing for the account of Exodus BTW.

Did the Great Flood really happen? - Living Faith - Home & Family - News - Catholic Online

Many Christians today argue the flood story is only a myth. It is a cautionary tale, not intended for literal interpretation. What's important, they say, is that we accept the lessons in the story rather than the story itself. There is merit to this approach. The story has no value if we ignore the lessons it teaches.
Jesus said it did.

I'm a Christian. I believe Him over today's "christian" teachers whom Christ said would be judged HARSHLY for teaching false doctrine
Then most Christians are fucked, as they created the "allegory" nonsense, to keep up with reality.
Sort of like most atheists are fucked because they read allegorical texts literally?
I would assume all atheists are fucked. Do some atheists get a "get out of hell" free card? Is it like the immigration lottery?
Or is that something else you just made up like the "allegories?" :lol:

Allegories explain things humans don't know or understand. Perhaps the tale of Adam and Eve is about the time period when humans stopped trusting o God's providence and began to cultivate crops and tend livestock.

Of course that took place 14,000 years earlier, but the story is still an explanation.
Allegories is something the religious cling to when science provers their hand-me-down, cherry picked fables written by desert savages, are proven wrong.
Ancient man knew 6,000 years before science that the universe was created from nothing, was the result of stages and that man arose from that creation.

If you weren't such an intellectually dishonest militant atheist you'd have seen it too.

Ancient man knew 6,000 years before science that the universe was created from nothing
the thread of fallacies - there is nothing to prove otherwise there has never been a time both energy and matter have existed.
CMB, red shift, quantum mechanics, FLoT, SLoT, Einstein's field equations, expanding universe, etc. say it's not a fallacy.

Energy and matter exist today, so maybe you meant to say something else.
the thread of fallacies - there is nothing to prove otherwise there has never been a time both energy and matter have existed.
CMB, red shift, quantum mechanics, FLoT, SLoT, Einstein's field equations, expanding universe, etc. say it's not a fallacy.

Ancient man knew 6,000 years before science that the universe was created from nothing

I left out the not - you have no proof there has ever been a time energy and matter have not existed.

your answer is simply confirmation after the moment of singularity of the cyclical bb.
Sure I do. ~14 billion years ago. This universe has not existed forever. It did have a beginning. Maybe you have heard about it. It's called the Big Bang.
Ancient man knew 6,000 years before science that the universe was created from nothing,
there is nothing to prove otherwise there has never been a time both energy and matter have not existed.
Sure I do. ~14 billion years ago. This universe has not existed forever. It did have a beginning. Maybe you have heard about it. It's called the Big Bang.
bb is cyclical ...

that is an absurdity to claim the universe began from nothing 14 billion years ago - as the same for your religion both only exist through forgeries and fallacies than actual events, deliberately skewed for nefarious and self serving motivations.
Nope. That would violate the SLoT and would not explain the cosmic background radiation or the expansion of the universe.

What exactly is your background in science?
Nope. That would violate the SLoT and would not explain the cosmic background radiation or the expansion of the universe.

- you have no proof there has ever been a time energy and matter have not existed.
yours is not an answer but an indefeasible absurdity (universe popped into being). matter and energy and the universe have always existed and the metaphysical forces that bind them together. as well your specific answer is answered by the cyclical nature of the bb or the physical reality of that events occurrence.

you have knowingly convinced yourself of a fallacy fooling no one than those already living in self delusion, as the misguided 4th century religion for no more purpose than matters of convenience over conviction. convenience to persecute and victimize the innocent for reasons only the false religions comprehend as being purposeful.

Jesus said it did.

I'm a Christian. I believe Him over today's "christian" teachers whom Christ said would be judged HARSHLY for teaching false doctrine
Then most Christians are fucked, as they created the "allegory" nonsense, to keep up with reality.
Sort of like most atheists are fucked because they read allegorical texts literally?
I would assume all atheists are fucked. Do some atheists get a "get out of hell" free card? Is it like the immigration lottery?
Or is that something else you just made up like the "allegories?" :lol:

Allegories explain things humans don't know or understand. Perhaps the tale of Adam and Eve is about the time period when humans stopped trusting o God's providence and began to cultivate crops and tend livestock.

Of course that took place 14,000 years earlier, but the story is still an explanation.
Allegories is something the religious cling to when science provers their hand-me-down, cherry picked fables written by desert savages, are proven wrong.
Ancient man knew 6,000 years before science that the universe was created from nothing, was the result of stages and that man arose from that creation.

If you weren't such an intellectually dishonest militant atheist you'd have seen it too.

I left out the not - you have no proof there has ever been a time energy and matter have not existed.

your answer is simply confirmation after the moment of singularity of the cyclical bb.
Ancient man knew 6,000 years before science that the universe was created from nothing,
there is nothing to prove otherwise there has never been a time both energy and matter have not existed.
bb is cyclical ...

that is an absurdity to claim the universe began from nothing 14 billion years ago - as the same for your religion both only exist through forgeries and fallacies than actual events, deliberately skewed for nefarious and self serving motivations.

- you have no proof there has ever been a time energy and matter have not existed.
yours is not an answer but an indefeasible absurdity (universe popped into being). matter and energy and the universe have always existed and the metaphysical forces that bind them together. as well your specific answer is answered by the cyclical nature of the bb or the physical reality of that events occurrence.

you have knowingly convinced yourself of a fallacy fooling no one than those already living in self delusion, as the misguided 4th century religion for no more purpose than matters of convenience over conviction. convenience to persecute and victimize the innocent for reasons only the false religions comprehend as being purposeful.

The flood is one or can many being flooded with evil to vex their spirits.

In the spirit...

If god wants us to choose good, then why did he make evil as a choice? Seems rather dumb.
Actually God advised against gaining the knowledge of good and evil. Humans wanted to know both, and in my opinion, because most of us are confident that we will choose the good over the evil. We are learning it is not quite that easy, not every time. Choosing good over evil can often be a struggle. That can be compared to lifting weights or training for a marathon. While often difficult, the results are often worthwhile.
Choosing good over evil can often be a struggle.
sure, for christians that believe they are born sinners and have no means to alleviate their deformity. their fallacy religion.

for those that know better and are religious - the prescribed religion of antiquity the christians abandoned provides the means for admission to the Everlasting by the triumph of good vs evil by judgement when accomplished. or simply perish - like those of the desert religions.

So you're not obliged to back up what you say? Got it. BTW, my real name is Michelle Obama.

Let's go with the world was never completely depopulated--that the great flood was not a planet wide event, but an area-wide one. Basically the story is one that is of the opinion people are better off spread apart than piled on top of one another. While most assume that all people the same language and language was confused in one area, it is more likely that the big city (as big cities do today) attract people far and wide. People give up hard farming work for an easier life in the city. They bring with them many languages, many cultures--and quarrels break out. People fail to get along and come together and for this reason many cities fail and are abandoned. The moral of the story is to not gather a great population in one area. Spread out.

So you're not obliged to back up what you say? Got it. BTW, my real name is Michelle Obama.
I have backed it up. It was "backed up in the post where I explained how morals are effectively standards which exist for logical reasons. There is nothing further that needs to be said. If you don't want to believe it, that's your decision.

Morals are effectively standards. For any given thing there exists a standard which is the highest possible standard.
False.

Well that was easy.

When are you goobers going to learn that these lame ontological parlor tricks only work on dumb and lazy people?

If the universe were created through natural process and we are an accidental happenstance of matter and energy doing what matter and energy do, then there should be no expectation for absolute morals. Morals can be anything we want them to be. The problem is that nature does have a preference for an outcome. Societies and people which behave with virtue experience order and harmony. Societies and people which behave without virtue experience disorder and chaos. So we can see from the outcomes that not all behaviors have equal outcomes. That some behaviors have better outcomes and some behaviors have worse outcomes. This is the moral law at work.

Morals are effectively standards. For any given thing there exists a standard which is the highest possible standard.
False.

Well that was easy.

When are you goobers going to learn that these lame ontological parlor tricks only work on dumb and lazy people?
You seem like a really happy and pleasant person. :)
And yu seem like a frustrated charlatan who cant seem to fool anyone but those who have already been fooled.

Forum List

Back