Do Conservatives know what health insurance is?

You asked what health insurance was not how is healthcare administered.

NO! That is not what I asked. You are wrong. Go back and re-read my post. Health insurance is how paying for health care is
administered. So once again, you are proving you don't know what health insurance is (socializing risk), don't know what insurance companies do (administration of reimbursements), and don't know how it relates to health care delivery (it doesn't at all).

You paid for the cap you wanted.

But you don't know if it's the cap you need. That's the point. You cannot predict what your health care needs will be 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 1 year, 1 decade from now. So what happens if you develop a medical condition unexpectedly that exceeds your cap? You didn't know that it would, but it does. So what then? You think people should go into bankrupt and their wages should be garnished because of something entirely out of their control? Why?

And as to 60% of bankruptcy (the next huge lie), most were under 20 K...so what the fuck are you talking about ?

Right...the average bankruptcy was about $17K. And no, it's not a lie. 60% of all bankrupticies pre-ACA were medical-related.

From CNN, June 5th 2009:

Medical bills prompt more than 60 percent of U.S. bankruptcies

"Unless you're a Warren Buffett or Bill Gates, you're one illness away from financial ruin in this country," says lead author Steffie Woolhandler, M.D., of the Harvard Medical School, in Cambridge, Mass. "If an illness is long enough and expensive enough, private insurance offers very little protection against medical bankruptcy, and that's the major finding in our study."

Woolhandler and her colleagues surveyed a random sample of 2,314 people who filed for bankruptcy in early 2007, looked at their court records, and then interviewed more than 1,000 of them.

They concluded that 62.1 percent of the bankruptcies were medically related because the individuals either had more than $5,000 (or 10 percent of their pretax income) in medical bills, mortgaged their home to pay for medical bills, or lost significant income due to an illness. On average, medically bankrupt families had $17,943 in out-of-pocket expenses, including $26,971 for those who lacked insurance and $17,749 who had insurance at some point.

Overall, three-quarters of the people with a medically-related bankruptcy had health insurance, they say.

Thanks for making my point.

Bronze plans hardly become useful until you've shelled out 13K.

So you can cut the 200 K bullshit and get into the real world.

It is a product made and sold for profit by the private industry that is forced on Americans by our government. You're welcome

Right, because no single person can reasonably afford $33K it costs to perform an appendectomy. So we have health insurance so people don't die of a burst appendix, nor do they go broke paying for the appendectomy.

How are you supposed to afford that if you don't have enough cash in your savings account?
What your side has created, and we've been unable to stop, is NOT health insurance. It is welfare.

You paid for the cap you wanted.

But you don't know if it's the cap you need. That's the point. You cannot predict what your health care needs will be 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 1 year, 1 decade from now. So what happens if you develop a medical condition unexpectedly that exceeds your cap? You didn't know that it would, but it does. So what then? You think people should go into bankrupt and their wages should be garnished because of something entirely out of their control? Why?

And as to 60% of bankruptcy (the next huge lie), most were under 20 K...so what the fuck are you talking about ?

Right...the average bankruptcy was about $17K. And no, it's not a lie. 60% of all bankrupticies pre-ACA were medical-related.

From CNN, June 5th 2009:

Medical bills prompt more than 60 percent of U.S. bankruptcies

"Unless you're a Warren Buffett or Bill Gates, you're one illness away from financial ruin in this country," says lead author Steffie Woolhandler, M.D., of the Harvard Medical School, in Cambridge, Mass. "If an illness is long enough and expensive enough, private insurance offers very little protection against medical bankruptcy, and that's the major finding in our study."

Woolhandler and her colleagues surveyed a random sample of 2,314 people who filed for bankruptcy in early 2007, looked at their court records, and then interviewed more than 1,000 of them.

They concluded that 62.1 percent of the bankruptcies were medically related because the individuals either had more than $5,000 (or 10 percent of their pretax income) in medical bills, mortgaged their home to pay for medical bills, or lost significant income due to an illness. On average, medically bankrupt families had $17,943 in out-of-pocket expenses, including $26,971 for those who lacked insurance and $17,749 who had insurance at some point.

Overall, three-quarters of the people with a medically-related bankruptcy had health insurance, they say.

Dear The Derp
Don't forget to compare the costs of failed prison systems to the cost of setting up medical education and programs to serve the greater public.

* the death penalty in Texas costs over $2 million per case
* incarceration est. between $17-50,000 per inmate per year
So if you want to compare the cost of bankruptcy, let's count heads
as to how many people we pay to keep in prison PER YEAR for that same cost.

How many medical degrees and hospital programs could be set up with the
taxes that citizens already pay? In California, former Gov. Schwarzeneggar argued
that undocumented felons were costing the state BILLIONS from filling up jails.
Why not pay for health care and charge the cost of crime back to wrongdoers?
Why punish lawabiding working citizens for the CRIMES and COSTS OF OTHERS?

If Dems are for prison reform and abolishing the death penalty, why not use this
opportunity to demand to defund those failed programs and invest in health care instead?

See also previous msg:

Yes, those essential health benefits.....
Most of which are worthless.
Please keep trying.

Worthless to you, but not to the other people in your insurance pool. There are benefits provided to you that others in your pool would deem "worthless". The whole point of insurance is to socialize risk. This is what I mean when I say you people don't know what health insurance is, what insurance companies do, and how it relates to your health care.

And those essential benefits aren't what's spiking costs...provider chargemasters are.

Congrats to the not-presently-on-fire for paying for firefighters.
OT:
LOL

I hope I remember that remark when a time comes for me to use it. I like it better by far than the decidedly less pithy schools-and-taxes analogy -- not one person in my family has ever set foot in a public school, yet we've helped pay for them for as long as there have been public schools -- I most often use in such situations.

Let's say a hospital charges you $10,000 for your surgery.

Sure...but their chargemaster says the actual cost of that is $7,500. So you appeal for relief of your $10K charge, and the hospital agrees to lower it to $7,500. So how are you getting a discount on anything if they're charging you the price they wanted to charge you all along? And what if you cannot pay that $7,500? What happens then? Wage garnishment. So how is that better than getting insurance and paying a monthly premium?

All this is left wing bullshit that does nothing to prove your jackass assertion that people don't understand insurance.

What's painfully obvious is that you don't understand what health insurance is, what insurance companies do, and how it relates to your health care delivery. You're just lazy.

What is funny is that you are insisting that people "need" insurance when in reality it is insurance that needs them to fund the sick pool.

THAT IS THE ENTIRE CONCEPT OF INSURANCE, STUPID. So when you become sick, you are insured and don't have to spend all that money out of pocket. Do you think you're going to never incur health care costs in your life? What happens if you're hit by a bus? What happens if you have appendicitis? What happens if you get cancer?

Thanks for making my point.

I didn't make your point, you made mine by proving you don't know what you're talking about.

Bronze plans hardly become useful until you've shelled out 13K.

Completely untrue! Bronze plans have essential benefits. Catastrophic plans don't by definition. Again, you're proving you don't know what health insurance is.

So you can cut the 200 K bullshit and get into the real world.

It would be nice if Conservatives actually lived in the real world.

Prior to Obamacare, I could purchase an insurance policy that covered major medical (catastrophic) costs. I did not have to pay for services I did not need. I was still paying insurance and that means I was still sharing the risk with everyone in My risk pool.

This policy would have cost Me $50 per month, or $600 dollars a year. It would have had a $7,000 deductible for all major expenses.

I did not need insurance to cover the costs of office visits, minor procedures, and medication. Just like I don't use insurance to pay for oil changes, spark plug, tire and general upkeep of My car. Those things came out of pocket.

Taking your appendectomy example of 33,000 dollars, I would have had to pay out of pocket the 7,000 dollars and the 20% copay responsibility of 6,600 dollars. Add the yearly cost of 600 dollars and My total cost out of pocket would have been $14,200.

Obama care is 12,000 dollars a year. That is non-negotiable and covers the oil change, spark plug, tire replacement and just about anything under the sun. Of course, My out of pockets costs for everything under the sun that is not major medical would have been maybe 200. So, My total yearly cost in a year that I had to have an appendectomy is $14,400.

Now, Obama care costs Me 12,000 per year and I still have the 6,600 copay cost of the same appendectomy. ON top of that, I have a 10,000 deductible. My costs for government health care is now 23,400 for buying into the exact same risk pool.

I haven't even included the extra cost to Me for subsidizing the deadbeats.

You're compassion costs American citizens far more than doing away with Obamacare and actually returning insurance to what it should be. A hedge agaisnts something catastrophic occurring and not a "wipe my ass for Me' program.

Perhaps you should stop with the nonsense about not knowing what insurance is simply because you are too cowardly and selfish to pay your own way in life.

Don't forget to compare the costs of failed prison systems to the cost of setting up medical education and programs to serve the greater public.

I think we need to re-examine our priorities as a society, and agree the drug war is useless, pointless, and costly.

NO! That is not what I asked. You are wrong. Go back and re-read my post. Health insurance is how paying for health care is
administered. So once again, you are proving you don't know what health insurance is (socializing risk), don't know what insurance companies do (administration of reimbursements), and don't know how it relates to health care delivery (it doesn't at all).
Your thread title is do conservatives know what health insurance is? So that is exactly what you asked.

Bullshit...

Prior to Obamacare, I could purchase an insurance policy that covered major medical (catastrophic) costs. I did not have to pay for services I did not need. I was still paying insurance and that means I was still sharing the risk with everyone in My risk pool.

OK, but your catastrophic plan had a lifetime cap...which meant it wasn't catastrophic at all because once your catastrophe exceeded the lifetime cap, you were on the hook for 100% of the costs thereafter. The average lifetime cap on a catastrophic plan was about $200K. It costs about half a million dollars to treat prostate cancer between the surgeries, chemo, drugs, etc. A heart transplant costs about $1M. So explain how your catastrophic plan protected you from catastrophe if you had to pay a greater share of the overall bill? How's that a deal for you?

I did not need insurance to cover the costs of office visits, minor procedures, and medication. Just like I don't use insurance to pay for oil changes, spark plug, tire and general upkeep of My car. Those things came out of pocket.

Again, you don't know what the costs will be until after your provider incurs them.

Taking your appendectomy example of 33,000 dollars, I would have had to pay out of pocket the 7,000 dollars and the 20% copay responsibility of 6,600 dollars. Add the yearly cost of 600 dollars and My total cost out of pocket would have been $14,200.

Right, and why do you have to pay the $7K and the 20% co-pay? Because the insurer is trying to make a profit. So remove the insurer's profit motive and suddenly you pay much less. What you described above is exactly why we need single payer.

You're compassion costs American citizens far more than doing away with Obamacare and actually returning insurance to what it should be. A hedge agaisnts something catastrophic occurring and not a "wipe my ass for Me' program.

It's not that right now. And I thought you people wanted everyone to "put more skin in the game". Don't high deductibles and co-insurance accomplish that? Why are you suddenly against it now?

Your thread title is do conservatives know what health insurance is? So that is exactly what you asked.

And you proved you all didn't know what health insurance is because it's more than just a piece of paper.

Forum List

Back