Do gays choose to be gay? How can we refuse equal rights?

It is a choice, although I believe they are genetically predisposed. It's a combination of genetics, environment, and choice. Homosexuals should have equal rights, but not special rights.
If you believe homosexuality is a choice, i.e. one has the option of going one way or the other, you might be unconsciously revealing a bi-sexual tendency which enables such a perception.

I don't like the term "gay" because it's used only to soften homosexual definition. Saying the term is only from Gay Street being where they lived is sort of a cop out to me.
That's because you're not from New York City and are unacquainted with the history of its more interesting and colorful areas, like Greenwich Village.

If I were homosexual I would prefer to be thought of and referred to as gay rather than "queer," or a "fag." So essentially it's a polite, inoffensive term -- which seems more appropriate among polite, inoffensive people.

what societal purpose does gay marriage fulfill?

This question makes no sense – there is no such thing as ‘gay marriage.’

There is only marriage, the laws written by the states and administered in state courts. The same marriage law same-sex couples have a right to access, the same marriage law accessed by opposite-sex couples.

In answer to the OP...I don't understand how anyone would "choose" to be gay knowing the horror that awaits them from many people who are intolerant. Personally, I think they are born for a certain preference in sexuality.

While homosexuality is not a normal condition it is quite natural and homosexual behavior has been observed in most animals. Sexual orientation is determined by hormonal influences on the brain. Homosexuality is believed to be the result of hormonal imbalance.

Prenatal hormones and sexual orientation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whatever the ‘cause,’ homosexuals are entitled to their civil rights, including the right of equal protection of the law and the right to marry.

Not ‘special rights’ or ‘new rights,’ but rights as afforded everyone else.

A gay woman had as much "right" to marry a man as any heterosexual woman. A gay man had as much "right" to marry a woman as any heterosexual man..

Idiots like you wanted SPECIAL rights. It really is that simple and no amount of your bullshit will change that reality.

Failed argument they tried in 1965.

I don't want to marry a man. I'm not in love with a man.

Puppy, you realize that's nobody would be stopping you from marry a man, rendering your "special" argument moot.

If you follow the logic of non judgment because God made them that way, you could not judge child molesters or serial killers because that's the way God made them.

Homosexuality is an aberration. An anomaly. It is benign when left alone but becomes toxic when considered an alternative form of normal.

^ANOTHER Rightwinger who does not understand the simple concept of "consent" vs. hurting others. It's kind of scary to see how many do not understand the difference.

What does consent have with the idea that God created someone in a particular way? Nothing. Did God make serial killers? Did God intend to make serial killers or was that a choice the killer made himself?

One of the most famous cases in Germany was of a homosexual cannibal who advertised for a victim. He got hundreds of replies. He chose one, killed him, with written consent, and ate him, also will the full knowledge and consent of the victim.

What happens to your consent now?

I thought God knows what choices you will make even before you make them? God knows you are going to murder someone, but he steps back and allows you to kill someone, and doesn't bother to stop you.

In the real world, we call that a crime.

Hey there, to all those idiots who insist they 'chose' to be straight - no, you didn't. Stop trying to pretend you did, you might think it makes you sound normal, but you sound gay - literally.

If you chose to be straight, you had to choose between being gay or straight. The only way you could chose between the two would be if you were attracted to both males and females at the time you made this decision. Thus, you are bisexual by default.

Looks like most of the conservatives here are closet cases.

god did not make gay men they choose to be gay.

Did you choose to be straight?

I know a person can choose to be celibate until married. I know that an individual can set his or her heart on a ideal. People can choose to be sexually active. People can also be enticed through "advertising" to buy a bill of goods that aren't any good. I believe that this is the greatest danger with open acceptance of homosexuality. People who would have never have acquired a tattoo may get one simply because they imagine other's (appearing all around) are happy with what they have done........................ The problem is that once one gets one, to get rid of it is very difficult indeed. In the case of homosexuality, one is playing with the emotions of everyone involved. Once that dam is breached, how does one hold back the flood?:(

I know a person can choose to be celibate until married. I know that an individual can set his or her heart on a ideal. People can choose to be sexually active. People can also be enticed through "advertising" to buy a bill of goods that aren't any good. I believe that this is the greatest danger with open acceptance of homosexuality. People who would have never have acquired a tattoo may get one simply because they imagine other's (appearing all around) are happy with what they have done........................ The problem is that once one gets one, to get rid of it is very difficult indeed. In the case of homosexuality, one is playing with the emotions of everyone involved. Once that dam is breached, how does one hold back the flood?:(

You are confusing actions with attractions. You cannot choose who you are attracted to. You can choose not to act upon your natural inclinations, but as long as we're all consenting adults why shouldn't we?

Spelling errors courtesy of auto-correct

So, did you choose to be straight?

Forum List

Back