Do you WANT to believe in God?

I couldn't follow you last point but Christianity came into being exactly because the bronze age OT wasn't possible to live up to. That's the whole spiel of the NT, believing takes up the slack.

There's no question morality was always a factor, but I don't agree that killing a woman for having sex out of wedlock was ever a moral thing to do just because it was written in a book. Or raping a single gal and marrying her for 50 shekels to smooth things over with dad. There are a whole bunch of laws that are bizarre, I would argue at any age.

If you need to compare the worse modern day examples with the best biblical age examples it means you aren't being even handed.
Thats what Jesus was talking about. It is said that when Jesus came the law became obsolete. I say the law will never be obsolete. What became obsolete was what Jesus called the traditions of men, what has become the Talmud, detailed instructions about how to understand and apply the literal letter of the law.

Jesus taught the the words of the law were figurative and the subjects hidden as was the deliberate intention of Moses.

Thats why Jesus did not stone the woman for adultery. The law has nothing whatever to do with human sexuality.

Thats why Jesus said "Eat my flesh. Kosher law has nothing whatever to do with what people serve and eat for meals.

His God and our God is not a God obsessed with diet and fashion and peoples sexual preferences.
I was a Christian for over 20 years, I know the spiel. For some reason Christians think if they simply repeat things enough it will become fact in other people's heads. But chanting your beliefs doesn't mean the stories didn't come from long ago. If you need them to be a moral person then have at it.

I do not consider myself a Christian and rejected official Church teaching out of hand in the very first day that I heard the spiel in the second grade.

I happened to have already learned about how to understand fairy tales and metaphors, etc., and how to find the moral of the story in the first grade.

At the time I though such people were scary crazy. Something nefarious had taken up residence where a rational mind was supposed to be...Nothing much has changed, except for now I just feel sorry for them.
I also feel sorry for the society that has to deal with such delusions. It's holding us back.

I think stem cell therapy was/is considered experimental and that might be why he had to get it elsewhere.

Yes, it was only controversial back in the 90's when they were experimenting with fetal stem cells. Once they found that there is notion special about fetal cells the controversy evaporated.
It was only controversial to people who think a stem cell is life.

I think it's more like defending because it's more interesting than joining the continuous "I hate Muslims" rant.

I don't really encounter any Muslims on a day to day basis. Christians, OTOH . . .
So I just listened to Neal degrass Tyson explain how the universe and stars and the planets and even we are made of the same 5 elements. Carbon hydrogen helium oxygen and nitrogen and how we are all connected. Everything.

And how little we know and no way we're the only life. We can see a foot in front of our faces and our Galaxy is the size of a city. I think he used the word egocentric.

He confirmed I'm not the only one who thinks life was once on Mars and Venus, and in fact bacteria from Mars may have come to earth after a meteor sent Mars rock into space. But we don't know yet.

Here was the best part. We humans are 99% just like monkeys. It's that 1% that makes all the difference. Now, imagine life on another planet that is 1% smarter/better than us. To them we're the monkeys
Tyson would know a whole bunch about egocentrism, he personifies what wrong with popular science these days. His opinion is not science. 1% of billions of things that make us human is still quite a lot, the evidence is right there that it makes a huge difference.
Watch this and hopefully realize the error of your ways.

I'm not watching a stupid video, what's wrong with you?

A NASA research team of scientists at the Johnson Space Center (JSC), Houston, TX, and at Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA, has found evidence that strongly suggests primitive life may have existed on Mars more than 3.6 billion years ago.

The NASA-funded team found the first organic molecules thought to be of Martian origin; several mineral features characteristic of biological activity; and possible microscopic fossils of primitive, bacteria-like organisms inside of an ancient Martian rock that fell to Earth as a meteorite. This array of indirect evidence of past life will be reported in the August 16 issue of the journal Science, presenting the investigation to the scientific community at large for further study.

So we aren't that special. We're just the current life on this one tiny rock. There was life once on Venus and Mars. Were those gods failed experiments?

And only 1% separates us from the monkeys. Other than that 1% we are monkey's ourselves. Imagine now an alien on another planet that is 1% better than us and 2% better than monkeys. Wouldn't they think we were monkeys too? You are not gods favorite creature. To think you are makes YOU egocentric.

[

No one ever thought stem cells were life.

In the late 90's they were harvesting stem cells from aborted babies, which got people up in arms. However, fetal stem cells proved no more effective than those from adults so the whole thing fizzled.
You're repeating the rights position on this subject. I don't believe you.

There was a time, not so long ago, when the religious right hailed the discovery of induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cells.

Headlines blared from the extreme right on the Internet such as, “Embryonic stem cells obsolete”.

Even Dr. Oz told Oprah and Michael J. Fox the same kind of thing, saying, “The stem cell debate is dead”.

You see opponents of embryonic stem cells (ES cells) figured that the appearance of iPS cells, made from skin rather than blastocysts leftover from IVF, on the scene could be used as a propaganda weapon against ES cell research and its funding.

But they lost the Sherley v. Sebelius case so now federal funding of ES cell research is pretty much as close to permanently legal in the US as possible, which is to say not very permanent, but at least relatively stable.

[

No one ever thought stem cells were life.

In the late 90's they were harvesting stem cells from aborted babies, which got people up in arms. However, fetal stem cells proved no more effective than those from adults so the whole thing fizzled.
Human embryonic and adult stem cells each have advantages and disadvantages regarding potential use for cell-based regenerative therapies. One major difference between adult and embryonic stem cells is their different abilities in the number and type of differentiated cell types they can become. Embryonic stem cells can become all cell types of the body because they are pluripotent. Adult stem cells are thought to be limited to differentiating into different cell types of their tissue of origin.

What are the similarities and differences between embryonic and adult stem cells? [Stem Cell Information]

There is a difference so give us those aborted fetus'!!! LOL

A NASA research team of scientists at the Johnson Space Center (JSC), Houston, TX, and at Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA, has found evidence that strongly suggests primitive life may have existed on Mars more than 3.6 billion years ago.
'Strongly suggests' and 'evidence that may have' isn't science.

hobelim Thank you very much!!!!! ^^^^^^ Your display of wisdom is always delightful to see....

And I thank you for that but I cannot honestly claim that anything said is my wisdom because it has been in existence for millennia. I am only revealing to you wisdom that God has revealed to me and opened my mind to comprehend that was hidden and buried like treasure a very long time ago...

Everything I say and everything that I am making known, I have drawn from what Jesus taught.

Last edited:
I couldn't follow you last point but Christianity came into being exactly because the bronze age OT wasn't possible to live up to. That's the whole spiel of the NT, believing takes up the slack.

There's no question morality was always a factor, but I don't agree that killing a woman for having sex out of wedlock was ever a moral thing to do just because it was written in a book. Or raping a single gal and marrying her for 50 shekels to smooth things over with dad. There are a whole bunch of laws that are bizarre, I would argue at any age.

If you need to compare the worse modern day examples with the best biblical age examples it means you aren't being even handed.
Thats what Jesus was talking about. It is said that when Jesus came the law became obsolete. I say the law will never be obsolete. What became obsolete was what Jesus called the traditions of men, what has become the Talmud, detailed instructions about how to understand and apply the literal letter of the law.

Jesus taught the the words of the law were figurative and the subjects hidden as was the deliberate intention of Moses.

Thats why Jesus did not stone the woman for adultery. The law has nothing whatever to do with human sexuality.

Thats why Jesus said "Eat my flesh. Kosher law has nothing whatever to do with what people serve and eat for meals.

His God and our God is not a God obsessed with diet and fashion and peoples sexual preferences.
I was a Christian for over 20 years, I know the spiel. For some reason Christians think if they simply repeat things enough it will become fact in other people's heads. But chanting your beliefs doesn't mean the stories didn't come from long ago. If you need them to be a moral person then have at it.

I do not consider myself a Christian and rejected official Church teaching out of hand in the very first day that I heard the spiel in the second grade.

I happened to have already learned about how to understand fairy tales and metaphors, etc., and how to find the moral of the story in the first grade.

At the time I though such people were scary crazy. Something nefarious had taken up residence where a rational mind was supposed to be...Nothing much has changed, except for now I just feel sorry for them.
I also feel sorry for the society that has to deal with such delusions. It's holding us back.

If the dead ever come out of their graves it will be when they hear the voice of truth and the truth is not that the Bible is a load of bull.

If something is holding us back it is the same exact misunderstanding everyone has made about the meaning and implications of the written word whether you believe or don't believe.

If the universe is a "giant hologram" that would be consistent with the Buddhist view of existence as "dream-like, impermanent, interdependent."
Us humans think we are so smart compared to apes.

If the dead ever come out of their graves it will be when they hear the voice of truth and the truth is not that the Bible is a load of bull.

If something is holding us back it is the same exact misunderstanding everyone has made about the meaning and implications of the written word whether you believe or don't believe.
I quoted the other day where the bible says either you will suffer for eternity or you will be in heaven for all eternity after you die. What determines if you suffer or go to heaven?

Do you believe in eternity? Everything in the universe is continually changing.

Do you believe in eternity? Everything in the universe is continually changing.
Everything we are comes from the inside of a star that exploded. That star that died, will never live again.

But I come from that star. So in a way, you are right. The star lives on. But does the star have a a clue? Ask yourself if you remember what it was like living on the inside of a star or when YOU were flying through space for billions of years on your way to what is now our solar system.

And our universe only has 10 billion years left. We've been around 13 billion years. But don't worry, a new universe will form again someday.

Everything we are comes from the inside of a star that exploded. T

Everything that your body is made of came from inside of a star that exploded, but is that who you are?
No, and when you die, whatever ashes to ashes that recycles into the earth is all you are passing on to the next universe. Like a turtle or bird, when you die that's it.

Us humans think we are so special but only 1% separates us from the monkeys. And that's because we can build spaceships and do math. MOST of us can't do that. We are just the smartest thing on this planet. We think we are really smart, but what about a being on another planet that is 1% smarter than us? Their babies can do quantum physics and they are not superstitious at all. To them we are monkeys.

And if we told them our bible stories they'd laugh.

Ok. Thank you. I most of the time don't believe there is a God, but when catastrophe strikes, have found myself attempting to pray and wishing it were true and that I could believe. I suppose a lot of people do this, hypocritical as it is (me, not you, lol)
That's the worst time to contemplate the idea. Better to think about it when you are not stressed and when you are being rational and logical.

If I'm swimming in the ocean and a shark starts to circle me, all of the sudden I'm praying to god too.
No, you should be hoping that in your next life that you're not such a dumbass. :D
What next life? Geez what a dope.
There's more evidence of re-incarnation that there is of the invisible Big Guy in another dimension.
You keep talking about evidence for stuff without producing any :popcorn:
There are countless stories of kids describing city neighbourhoods half way across the world where they've never been, right down to the name of the guy who runs the bakery... As well, children who can play piano like a master, for example, at 4 years old... Look it up.

All lot of them absolutely stand up to close scrutiny. So do tons of UFO sightings. Also, does Roswell mean anything to you?
Yes. I've never seen irrefutable 'evidence' for any of this stuff.
Then you haven't been paying attention.
So how do you explain that suddenly around 50,000 years ago humans started an intelligence explosion, after having evolved pretty much zero in the previous millions of years? And if evolution is solely responsible, then in millions of years, will all animals be able to build spaceships and fly them to other planets?
You aren't providing evidence of anything, you're just speculating and musing, interesting though it is.
So how do YOU explain it? The hand of god?
Yet again, you keep saying there is evidence for your 'theories', whilst presenting none and demanding other people prove negatives, or even prove stuff that they haven't claimed to be for or against. So, where's YOUR EVIDENCE? :)
A sudden intelligence explosion around 50,000 years ago after being dumb for 5 million years.
DNA that's unique to humans.
No other animals on earth have managed to send themselves into space. or are even close, and this, after all life has been on this planet for the same amount of time, yet only managed to produce one species like humans.
Every creation story involves aliens.
People are still getting abducted today and report of being probed with needles and such.

Granted there's no smoking gun (yet), but to me it makes a lot more sense and is way more possible and interesting than some invisible dude in another dimension that nobody's ever seen... and oh! here comes the collection plate! :D

Forum List

Back