Does Spanking kids Work?

A majority of those diagnoses may indeed be accurate. The disorder takes many forms; there are at least 10 variations. I acknowledge that some people are diagnosed when they don't have ADHD, but beyond that I don't know specifics. Those who do have the disorder are chemically imbalanced; those who truly don't have it... I'm not sure why they were diagnosed. One reason for the influx may be because research in ADHD has made huge gains with its existence being acknowledged.
And yet, somehow we managed without it before. I think today's problems have more to do with lack of social skills and an electronically induced short attention span lifestyle. If you spend your day doing shootemup xbox games school will bore you to tears.

A majority of those diagnoses may indeed be accurate. The disorder takes many forms; there are at least 10 variations. I acknowledge that some people are diagnosed when they don't have ADHD, but beyond that I don't know specifics. Those who do have the disorder are chemically imbalanced; those who truly don't have it... I'm not sure why they were diagnosed. One reason for the influx may be because research in ADHD has made huge gains with its existence being acknowledged.
And yet, somehow we managed without it before. I think today's problems have more to do with lack of social skills and an electronically induced short attention span lifestyle. If you spend your day doing shootemup xbox games school will bore you to tears.

By "managed without it," do you mean ADHD?

...actually, lack of social skills, a short attention span, and hyper-focusing on certain things are all manifestations of ADHD. For some children with ADHD, social interactions are problematic. The combination of impulsivity, immaturity, and difficulty reading the social cues of others can lead to difficult and painful peer relationships. Learning to get along with others is a challenge, whether at school, in sports, or with friends.

...actually, lack of social skills, a short attention span, and hyper-focusing on certain things are all manifestations of ADHD. For some children with ADHD, social interactions are problematic. The combination of impulsivity, immaturity, and difficulty reading the social cues of others can lead to difficult and painful peer relationships. Learning to get along with others is a challenge, whether at school, in sports, or with friends.

You're also describing Asperger's there -- just throwing that in.

You're also describing Asperger's there -- just throwing that in.

True. There are some similarities with ADHD.

Between these two views (yours and Wake's) I have to side with the latter. As a Liberal I feel throwing legislating at the problem is always a slippery slope. More effective is to change the culture -- so that the idea of violence and personal abuse is repulsive all by itself. It's the same as my view on gun violence.

And not unrelated, given our obsession with violence common to both.

Sometimes you have to legislate culture. At some time in US history it was ok to lynch people. In the wild west it was ok to have gun fights on main street. At another time it was ok to fight dogs. At what point do you stop waiting for culture to change in order to stop heinous acts no matter how accepted they are?

I hear ya but I don't think anti-lynching laws were at all unreasonable. Nor is criminal child abuse, that's fine. I'd draw the line before making any and all spanking illegal though, even though I can't support the practice morally. It's just too slippery a slope for legislation. It would bring a judicial morass.

And I don't believe culture changes passively by waiting for it but by actively driving it by public opinion. Laws tend to follow public opinion anyway, not lead it. So what we're doing right here is a part of that active process. Bottom line is that popular behavior doesn't change because it's forced to by law; it changes because it desires the change. So the objective is to persuade the desire.

Those were just examples to show the urgency of some needed changes. If laws had not been used to force that change when do you think lynchings or dog fighting would have stopped?

The one thing I have learned is that people do not change by public opinion fast enough or completely enough without a law to spur the change. The other is if a leader can step forth and convince people to change. Most people when confronted with a choice between changing their minds and proving the other person wrong will set about looking for the proof.

Sometimes you have to legislate culture. At some time in US history it was ok to lynch people. In the wild west it was ok to have gun fights on main street. At another time it was ok to fight dogs. At what point do you stop waiting for culture to change in order to stop heinous acts no matter how accepted they are?

I hear ya but I don't think anti-lynching laws were at all unreasonable. Nor is criminal child abuse, that's fine. I'd draw the line before making any and all spanking illegal though, even though I can't support the practice morally. It's just too slippery a slope for legislation. It would bring a judicial morass.

And I don't believe culture changes passively by waiting for it but by actively driving it by public opinion. Laws tend to follow public opinion anyway, not lead it. So what we're doing right here is a part of that active process. Bottom line is that popular behavior doesn't change because it's forced to by law; it changes because it desires the change. So the objective is to persuade the desire.

Those were just examples to show the urgency of some needed changes. If laws had not been used to force that change when do you think lynchings or dog fighting would have stopped?

The one thing I have learned is that people do not change by public opinion fast enough or completely enough without a law to spur the change. The other is if a leader can step forth and convince people to change. Most people when confronted with a choice between changing their minds and proving the other person wrong will set about looking for the proof.

We'll have to respectfully disagree on this point then. I just don't believe people are positively motivated by fear, which in this case includes fear of criminal prosecution. It's actually the same reasoning as being against spanking, though I'm not trying to equate legislation with spanking or whipping, but in either case it's motivation by negative. I just don't believe that works.

This thought just occurred to me, and for once addressing the OP's question about whether it "works"...

If I think back I can remember my own spankings/beltings/whippings (pick your verb) with vivid and visceral clarity, and I remember those of my siblings better than those of my own.

But if I try to remember what any of them were for -- any at all -- I draw a blank. I honestly don't know. Kinda raises a question about what the effect was.

We'll have to respectfully disagree on this point then. I just don't believe people are positively motivated by fear, which in this case includes fear of criminal prosecution. It's actually the same reasoning as being against spanking, though I'm not trying to equate legislation with spanking or whipping, but in either case it's motivation by negative. I just don't believe that works.

I see the validity of your logic.

Yes, that was the topic.
Bullshit. If a kid's world revolves around his xbox, he will have social problems and a short attention span. And will probably have the chemical signs in his noggin as a result. If one stays angry all the time, for example, he too will have created chemicals. The brain reacts to stimulus, you can effect it with your behavior. It's modern man that blames everything on biology or someone/something else. That's why we as a society are becoming weak, immoral and unresponsible. Kids need discipline, not drugs.

Yes, that was the topic.
Bullshit. If a kid's world revolves around his xbox, he will have social problems and a short attention span. And will probably have the chemical signs in his noggin as a result. If one stays angry all the time, for example, he too will have created chemicals. The brain reacts to stimulus, you can effect it with your behavior. It's modern man that blames everything on biology or someone/something else. That's why we as a society are becoming weak, immoral and unresponsible. Kids need discipline, not drugs.

I have to leave for work soon. Do you think ADHD exists? It would probably be better if I create a thread on ADHD so we can discuss it further there.

:beer:

And I see the validity of laws on lynching and dogfighting. Those are urgent matters. Sometimes it takes both avenues, popular mores and legislation - when it's practical or as in these cases, urgent.

Evidently, neither do people who have children.

From what I've read on this board, way too many of them have so little understanding, affection and control of their children, they actually hit them.

Now that is ignorance.
A homosexual criticizing parental skills. Isn't that quaint?
[MENTION=46539]Iceweasel[/MENTION], do you mean me?

If so, I'm not gay.

Sometimes you have to legislate culture. At some time in US history it was ok to lynch people....
LOL, I couldn't make it past that.

Frequently its hard to make it past things you wish were not true. It was a spectator sport people brought their children to (speaking of child abuse).

WARNING GRAPHIC PHOTOS!!

Lynchings

young-boys.-August-3-1920-Center-Texas.jpg

As horrible as the images of the probably-innocent lynched blacks are, the faces of the happy audience is just sickening.

Also sickening is that someone would post and "LOL" about lynching.

We're not nearly as evolved as we would like to believe.

I notice an unsurprising trend that most of those demanding spanking is evil/terrible or otherwise unacceptable tend to be people that do not have children.

I would note that you have no concept whatsoever about how to raise a child if you do not have one. That is a position born out of complete and total ignorance. Being a parent is NOT something that you teach or comes out of a manual.

Evidently, neither do people who have children.

From what I've read on this board, way too many of them have so little understanding, affection and control of their children, they actually hit them.

Now that is ignorance.

Yeah right. None of us have ever been children. We have no idea because we're "completely and totally ignorant" of what that could be like.

:rolleyes:

Especially since most pregnancies are accidental.

Those who think long and hard, those who examine their own inner strengths and weakness are very likely better qualified than those who screech, "You're WHAT? How did THAT happen?" and then grit their teeth for that little bundle of joy they don't even want.

Fact is, being fertile does not automatically confer some great wisdom and patience. Popping out a baby does not mean one is qualified to parent.

This thought just occurred to me, and for once addressing the OP's question about whether it "works"...

If I think back I can remember my own spankings/beltings/whippings (pick your verb) with vivid and visceral clarity, and I remember those of my siblings better than those of my own.

But if I try to remember what any of them were for -- any at all -- I draw a blank. I honestly don't know. Kinda raises a question about what the effect was.

I obviously can't speak to your experience.

I would say, however, that the age at which spanking is likely to be appropriate and effective is early enough that it would seem unusual to me for a person to remember either an individual spanking or the reason behind it. I would be equally as surprised for someone to remember individual time outs or the reasons behind those.

:beer:

And I see the validity of laws on lynching and dogfighting. Those are urgent matters. Sometimes it takes both avenues, popular mores and legislation - when it's practical or as in these cases, urgent.

Those are laws we need.

Laws that protect the weak and defenseless from those who believe they have the right to abuse and/or kill them.

This something that has interest me for quite awhile now. Since I was spanked as a kid when I did wrong and for the most part I came out fine other than my Depression that I still haven't kicked out of.

But for the most part a sane human being. But new this new data of people who spank their kids for the most part do not do well in schools and are more aggressive is this old school way of discipline hurting are kids this the question I ask you guys here.

Do Not Hit Your Children with Belts - YouTube

Study Links Spanking Kids To Aggression, Language Problems

Maternal spanking at age 5, even at low levels, was associated with higher levels of child externalizing behavior at age 9, even after an array of risks and earlier child behavior were controlled for. Father’s high-frequency spanking at age 5 was associated with lower child receptive vocabulary scores at age 9.

Womanist Musings: Dear Black Community: Beating Children With Belts Is Not Discipline, It's Abuse

He further goes on to state that he is going to give the child a reason to cry and then beats him some more. In the next scene we see the child outside with a tear streaked face. The father makes him run, crab walk and then do push ups. When he realizes that the child did the push up on his knees he accuses him of cheating and demands 15 push ups. At the end of the video you see the child doing a push up with strain more than evident on his face with the words job well done on the screen.

We spanked ours. The pediatrician recommended a good swat on the butt when needed. But to do it over again, I wouldn't. I've seen how effective the 'time out' thing is with my daughter's 3 year old is. When he grows up he will likely complain about how traumatized he was by having to take time out. :lol:

Times change.
Generations change.
Methods change.

The Dr. Spock generation was hell on wheels. They needed something and got nothing.

And statistics can say whatever you want them to say. The person who has not been schooled in how to read them can be easily misled.

Forum List

Back